Virgil van Dijk | Performances

marktan

I actually like him. Hard to judge his pure defending ability in a team like Liverpool but he is solid at least (way more so than say John Stones) and he's very calm on the ball and can attack when needed.

Didn't think it was a penalty either, he pulled out and Lamela went down like a sack of spuds. Is he worth £75m? To us no, because we have solid defenders. To Liverpool? It's not bad of a deal imo.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Sneaky by Lamela there. Thought VVD played well for most of the game. Hardly heard from Kane who he kept in his back pocket. Seemed quite vocal too as an organizer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not trying to do anything. I just think it's daft to laugh at Van Dijks fee when United spent the same if not more on Lukaku. People in glass houses and all that.
Nice banter. Funny how the Celtic fan always ends up defending Liverpool.

Giggs86

I'd be devastated if my team had paid 75 Mil for a poor man's Smalling.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I never said you can't. I said it was daft.
it isn't. If this idiotic logic is followed then no club can even laugh at other club for losing a game considering everyone lost at least once.

Djemba-Djemba

it isn't. If this idiotic logic is followed then no club can even laugh at other club for losing a game considering everyone lost at least once.
You wouldn't be able to laugh at anything.

Someone misses a penalty? Oh you can't cheer cos you've missed a penalty before.

Someone misses an open net? Oh you can't cheer cos you've missed an open goal before.

So stupid :lol:

cyberman

Carragher saying Lamela came out of nowhere to get in front of him but Lamela is literally standing and running right in front of VVD.
Its a lazy swing at the ball.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Nice banter. Funny how the Celtic fan always ends up defending Liverpool.
I hate Liverpool. I like van Dijk. Don't think he's even close to being worth that but he isn't the only one that applies to. Lukaku and Pogba for example hence why I thought it was daft for a United fan to laugh at a fee. But whatever.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Thought he had an excellent game and his attributes are a level above our other CBs.
However it's what I expected, it's a system issue and unfortunately he's not going to magically stop us conceding. The way we defend just puts us in too many positions which evokes mistakes from players seemingly.

Djemba-Djemba

I hate Liverpool. I like van Dijk. Don't think he's even close to being worth that but he isn't the only one that applies to. Lukaku and Pogba for example hence why I thought it was daft for a United fan to laugh at a fee. But whatever.
Well you've had it explained to you why people think your point is stupid so maybe we should just agree to disagree.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You wouldn't be able to laugh at anything.

Someone misses a penalty? Oh you can't cheer cos you've missed a penalty before.

Someone misses an open net? Oh you can't cheer cos you've missed an open goal before.

So stupid :lol:
Exactly.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
These days every defender who looks good an the ball seems to be praised too much, he might come good but in every game for liverpool so far he made a goal costing mistake, that's kinda worrying for the world's most expensive defender..

Not sure if Klopp and Guardiola are the best fits for Van Dijk / Stones but at least Stones is younger and "English"

If Van Dijk is 75mil. Smalling is 100

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
There will be a lot of silly posts but I thought he was brilliant over the whole game. Kane was anonymous apart from the two penalties and Van Dijk dealt with a lot of Spurs pressure pretty well in the second half.

His lack of awareness was poor at the end but I was happy with his performance,

It’s hard to tell which CB pairing is best though.
What about when he played Son onside and Son was effectively through 1 v 1 until Alexander Arnold got back and Karius saved?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What about when he played Son onside and Son was effectively through 1 v 1 until Alexander Arnold got back and Karius saved?
I didn’t say he was perfect but for the most part I thought he had a very good game.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I didn’t say he was perfect but for the most part I thought he had a very good game.
You said he had a brilliant game. Mistakes happen, but such a big individual error in such a tight game means he hasn't had a brilliant game imo, and he only then has a good game because Son missed. If Son scores it's a costly error.

Then giving a penalty away in the last minute, not brilliant either.

What he did well was head the ball. He seems to clear every corner and manages to get his head to an attacking corner every game too.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Not trying to do anything. I just think it's daft to laugh at Van Dijks fee when United spent the same if not more on Lukaku. People in glass houses and all that.
Lukaku who was bought as a highly rate striker for a team lacking in a consistent goalscorer, bar Ibrahimovich, for a price that was deemed the only worthy one by the selling club. Not to mention a striker we were in competition for with another rich club who could afford to pay the high transfer fee for him. A player who is already on for 20+ goals this season. Yeah, that's absolutely the same.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So if your team has ever lost a match, you don't ever laugh when your rivals teams lose a match? Because from your point which is extremely stupid and probably made by you to look over smart says that only.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Looked like to me he pulled back and didn't hit Lamella that hard to warrant a foul

Not sure if it's enough for a foul, nightmare decision for a ref to judge if it is or isn't

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I don’t think that’s a penalty at all tbh but it is Liverpool so whatever...who am I to judge.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So if your team has ever lost a match, you don't ever laugh when your rivals teams lose a match? Because from your point which is extremely stupid and probably made by you to look over smart says that only.
It isn't really the same though, is it?

My point is if my team had an overly expensive player in the side I'd be a little hesitant to laugh at another team for having one too. It opens you up to ridicule.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He’s good in the air, but I think there is something lacking in his game when defending on the back foot, for a player who is the most expensive in his position.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Still can't decide if it's enough contact for a penalty, but at any rate it's rash from van Dijk and he can only have himself to blame.

haram

Mistake vs Swansea loses them the game, concedes 3 vs west brom in 1 half, concedes a 94th min penalty to lose his team another 2 points.

Nice.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I really don't get how he can claim that the price we paid for Pogba isn't even close to his true worth considering he was one of the best, if not the best players at Juventus when we bought. A player who had been highly touted around Europe. But now that we bought him, he's not worth the 90m? I guess Neymar isn't worth paying 200m for then. And 300m for Messi? Please, let's just sign a good prospect from Reading for 0.5m. That's how real teams do it.

cyberman

@Pink Moon
I have to question why you signed up to a Utd forum only to argue why it's inappropriate to laugh at our biggest rivals dropping points in a hilarious manner.
What do you think happens on a Madrid or Barca forum? Handshakes all round?