Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Seven Seas Sardines

It's a bit similar to the laughing at Stones last season. Wasn't very good, cost a lot of money but this season when fit he's been good. Ultimately these teams have plenty of money so the fee doesn't really matter a great deal as long as they are benefitting from these massive TV deals with no brakes on them.
£75m doesn't matter to Liverpool? :lol:

That kind of money matters to all clubs in the world bar City and PSG.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
£75m doesn't matter to Liverpool? :lol:

That kind of money matters to all clubs in the world bar City and PSG.
Have you seen the income of the clubs? Why did you think they made the purchase? It's because they could afford it. What other CB are they going to get at a similar quality that costs less than 50m?

They bought premium but they get the defender now instead of next summer and he can play in the CL.

Kapardin

He is not a bad CB but 75 million is too much. I'd put him in the same bracket as Jones (different techniques for sure, but talking about reliability as a defender).

Seven Seas Sardines

Have you seen the income of the clubs? Why did you think they made the purchase? It's because they could afford it. What other CB are they going to get at a similar quality that costs less than 50m?

They bought premium but they get the defender now instead of next summer and he can play in the CL.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is fairly conclusive
:lol: Pick the worse possible angle and say it's conclusive.

There are so many videos and angles which shows contact, even Klopp said there was contact.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You're better than this, you've chosen a bad camera angle intentionally in which you can still see the contact anyway. Look at any other angle and that'll be fairly conclusive.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
Having only just managed to catch up on yesterday's game and all, (Edinburgh airport having no Sky, and my phone was dying) I have to say that the Lamela incident is a pen.

The Kane one though is a blatant hang a leg, miss contact, go down like you're shot dive. I'm amazed how a ref can fail to recognise this as it should be obvious to everyone concerned these days that it's a dive.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He knows it's a pen, look at the way he starts waving his hands straight away, sign of a guilty man that. £75m and not a clean sheet in site.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Everyone will have a different opinion on the penalty, but thought he had a good game otherwise.

Djemba-Djemba

It's funny because whenever you see a replay of the 2nd penalty incident from that one crap angle you know it's a Liverpool fan citing it as evidence :lol:

Every other camera angle shows it's obviously a penalty.

AlwaysRed66

Since his arrival Liverpool haven't won with him in the side & Southampton haven't lost. VVD the joke that never seems to end.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Everyone is talking about whether the kick was a penalty or not (it was). How come no one is talking about VVD's mis-judgement of the ball flight and the fact that he let the ball bounced in a crowded penalty box which lead to the foul?

AltiUn

Precisely a defender peaks most of the times between 28 & 34, thanks for proving my point.
You make it sound as if he's a kid, did you just not realise how old he was?

Dion

meh, I'll judge him at the end of next season. He wouldn't be the first player to move to a new club and have a rough start.

AltiUn

meh, I'll judge him at the end of next season. He wouldn't be the first player to move to a new club and have a rough start.
Agreed, he's obviously got a lot of quality so no need to risk an egg on the face if he turns out to be brilliant for them.

NW10

Supports
Arsenal
I thought it was a pen in real time, I thought it was a pen even more so on the replay but this angle in the replay above makes me unsure. Looks like he pulled out a little and Lamela expected the kick and then exaggerated (as some Argentines can do lol)

I think Van Dijk is really good but like Arsenal's defenders, he wont ever look great under Klopp's tactics.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I still think he's a top class player. Happy it's all going wrong for him with them though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I still don’t think it was a penalty. Like I said though I don't really care as it’s liverpool and I find it hilarious however I’m Pretty sure if this was a united match and a united player in Van Dijks place there would be a huge swing in opinion on wether it was or not.
At first watch I thought he'd swung and kicked his legs from him.
On a replay it looked marginal contact if any from that.

But from another angle, you can definitely see its the knee wiping him out. Plus some less than heroic acting of course

But agree, it's against Liverpool, and was a hilarious end to the game, but more importantly keeps both a good margin from us

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
In some replays it looks like he missed him. But then in other ones, it is as clear as day that he kicked him. I would admit that Lamela made the most of it though.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Lovren having a jibe before and van Dijk after:

""They gave us time, sat back - even at home - and hope for the best on the counter and that is what they did especially in the second half but we had already put ourselves in a bad position."

How about, both learn how to defend?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Played well unfortunately the clown next to him has an error in him. Spent the entire week championing himself aswell. Just man these damn interviews.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's a good player...but not worth anywhere near the amount they bought him for and certainly not enough to sort out Liverpool's defensive issues on his own. Looked like a constant threat from set-pieces though, albeit he was being given far too much space to get a proper header away.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Thought he had a good game today but had fires to worry about on his right where Lovren was.

Probably our most threatening player offensively today. :lol: