Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Camilo

Enjoyable game - strange how Liverpool couldn't get near Spurs in the second half though - they almost gave up.

Would have been disappointed had either penalty been given against us - the first one Kane pretty much dives, but the second one... there's nothing in that for me. Spurs guy just runs in front of VVDs leg, neither player has the ball, no foul for me.

A good result for us though.

Classical Mechanic

Enjoyable game - strange how Liverpool couldn't get near Spurs in the second half though - they almost gave up.

Would have been disappointed had either penalty been given against us - the first one Kane pretty much dives, but the second one... there's nothing in that for me. Spurs guy just runs in front of VVDs leg, neither player has the ball, no foul for me.

It’s juat your standard expression of Klopps flawed system. Spunk your load in the first half and drop the points in the second half. Happens time and time again.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
@Pink Moon
I have to question why you signed up to a Utd forum only to argue why it's inappropriate to laugh at our biggest rivals dropping points in a hilarious manner.
What do you think happens on a Madrid or Barca forum? Handshakes all round?
Yeah, that's exactly what I think...

I don't think it's inappropriate to laugh at Liverpool. It's mandatory. They're the gift that keeps on giving. And I don't have any issue with laughing at them dropping points. I actually said I hope Spurs equalise once I saw Klopp's celebration.

The only reason I even commented what I did was because OP explicitly stated the fee involved and it just so happens the fee is reportedly the exact same United paid for their high profile transfer.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Think he was decent, certainly very good in air. He was just lazy in that clearance he could have just moved and got into position too head it for a throw or towards centre circle, took the lazy option and paid for it. Think he was always a marginal improvement over Matip/ Lovern for Liverpool. I think they need to change their style of they want to defend well. They tried to blitz tottenham in the first half, got tired by pressing, got only one goal and that tiredness lead to the second goal. They had 30 % posession in second half at home. That is woeful. Still they wull be considered the flagbearers for attacking football.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I hate Liverpool. I like van Dijk. Don't think he's even close to being worth that but he isn't the only one that applies to. Lukaku and Pogba for example hence why I thought it was daft for a United fan to laugh at a fee. But whatever.
Child like comparisons. Goalscorers are scarce. All round midfielders like Pogba are even rarer. Check out their stats

Member 90678

Yes your honour,it was not my fault as he put his face in front of my fist causing me to punch him:nono:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Both clear penalties. I'm not sure why they're even being questioned.

Leuthen

How can you look at this gif and say with a straight face that it's a penalty? I mean, VVD is overrated, overpriced, but c'mon! It's one of the most obvious dives I've seen this year.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That’s lack of communication between the CB’s, Lovren goes to push up whilst Van Dijk is marking Kane.
Yeah you're right. Van Dijk also drops a yard or two, pribapro anticipating the exact pass that gets played. But the whole thing is terrible. Both FBs so high up when Spurs have the ball, it's asking for trouble. Maldini would struggle.

But it's still a mistake to be 5-10 yards deeper than everyone else. You could argue that one of the reasons VVD was bought into to organise situations like that.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
He had a really solid/good game. Then pen was very unlucky, but the right call. Lamela did it clever, puts his body between Van Dijk and the ball very fast.

You question the price after a handful games, they bought him for years. United paid about 40m for Lindelöf and he isn't really needed and no one cares.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Didn't see the game, just highlights. Hear that he's been solid until then, but that incident. First, he loses the header, then he misjudges the flight of the ball and doesn't react and finally, he doesn't see Lamela and kicks him while trying to clear it.
At first, I thought it wasn't a penalty, but after a better look, it's clear one. Only because he pulls his leg out so fast there were doubts.

How can you look at this gif and say with a straight face that it's a penalty? I mean, VVD is overrated, overpriced, but c'mon! It's one of the most obvious dives I've seen this year.
It isn't a dive.

izec

He will improve, bit rusty. Imagine him playing for Spurs, he would be better in that system.

Thisistheone

Liverpool at Anfield had conceded just 4 goals all season in the PL. Van Dijk has played 3 games there (1 in the FA cup exit) and conceded 6 goals. Plus the error he made at Swansea...

Anyway, another terrible mistake today, 1. not winning the header from the throw in and 2. panicking and swinging a leg in a crowded penalty area. Madness.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He was at fault again today. But overall I was thankful he played. Won most of the headers that were thrown into the box and marshalled Kane better than Lovren fecking did last time. Not to mention that certain goal by Son he somehow blocked.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tbf he was having a very good game before Spurs equalized

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's kneed him in the back, it's pretty conclusive.

I still don’t think it was a penalty. Like I said though I don't really care as it’s liverpool and I find it hilarious however I’m Pretty sure if this was a united match and a united player in Van Dijks place there would be a huge swing in opinion on wether it was or not.

haram

I still don’t think it was a penalty. Like I said though I don't really care as it’s liverpool and I find it hilarious however I’m Pretty sure if this was a united match and a united player in Van Dijks place there would be a huge swing in opinion on wether it was or not.
It’s a bit unlucky and a shit way to drop points that late but it’s a pen.

Anustart89

I imagine we'd be too busy calling Jones an idiot to complain about the call.

Canagel

Cost twice as much as Rio :lol:
Well to be honest the current market is a lot more inflated. The likes of Rio and Vidic would probably cost 120-150 million now. Still find it quite funny that VVD is the most expensive defender in history though.

James Peril

If you don’t know the rules, why comment at all? «Neither player has the ball» - what on earth has that got to do with anything? VVD kicks the player instead of the ball, crystal clear penalty.

Tarrou

Definite contact but he also dived a bit too. Not complaining though! :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah his young and learning.
He's 27

Clear penalty. He kicks the back of him.

He had a really solid/good game. Then pen was very unlucky, but the right call. Lamela did it clever, puts his body between Van Dijk and the ball very fast.

You question the price after a handful games, they bought him for years. United paid about 40m for Lindelöf and he isn't really needed and no one cares.
United paid 30m for Lindelof who is 23 years old. Just like Bailly.

VVD is 27 and not worth anything near 80m quid.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's only the money that makes people laugh at the transfer. He's a good defender but he's clearly unfit at the moment. He's so slow to react to the fully fit attackers that he's dealing with and Klopp is taking a chance by playing him in these games against someone like Kane.

It's a bit similar to the laughing at Stones last season. Wasn't very good, cost a lot of money but this season when fit he's been good. Ultimately these teams have plenty of money so the fee doesn't really matter a great deal as long as they are benefitting from these massive TV deals with no brakes on them.