Other Virgin media

Bojan11

50mb to 100mb
100mb to 200mb
152mb to 300mb

While this means Virgin Media will have a top end product almost four times faster than Openreach FTTC, it will not count as the fastest provider in the UK, as people like Hyperoptic, Gigaclear and other Gigabit providers continue to grow. What will mean though is advertising making the most of comparisons to BT, any comparisons with Sky and TalkTalk may be more difficult if their 940 Mbps FTTP roll-out in York goes to plan.

We still see Virgin Media customers who do not appear to be on the current baseline product but this may be people who have actively refused the upgrades for various reasons. The last round of upgrades took six months to a year to officially complete and with 42% of Virgin Media customers on the 100 or 152 Mbps products we will be able to track the roll-out by watching the median and mean speeds growing for Virgin Media in the mainly urban areas they serve.

For those in areas of the Virgin Media network where rapidly growing bandwidth use leads to peak time slow downs and latency issues that affect gaming and voip we hope that the network upgrades will be accompanied by a substantial series of upgrades in capacity to improve the Quality of Service.
http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/speed-upgrade.html

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm perfectly happy with my 80mbps right now and that's the first time I've ever been satisfied with the speed of my internet. Previous to this it always felt like it could be quicker in relation to the size of the downloads I needed. A 28gb game was down in under an hour earlier and it obviously streams 1080p with zero issues while other devices also use it.

Can't imagine I'll feel the need for a 900mb connection for a good 10 years.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I get 152mb speed, would be interesting to see what 300mb would do :lol:

Downloaded 14gb worth of tv shows last night, took 30mins.
I must admit though, the TV box is far inferior to sky's, so I do watch less TV

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I remember when I was with AOL in the early-mid 2000s and one day I got an email saying they were going to double our speed from 56kbps to 128kbps which was well exciting. And then a few months/a year or so later it was doubling again to 256 which seemed ridiculous.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I still remember the days where I used to sneak the internet on for under 1 minute before 6pm, quickly go on teamtalk, open all the pages I wanted, logged off, and then read them.

Bojan11

No doubt PSN will still run like crap on it with the slow downloads.

I hope they improved the uploads also.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The next generation won't know the pain of having to wait a couple of seconds for something to load.
:lol:

I have 8 mps down. Didn't realise I was such a peasant

Bojan11

I have their 152mb package so does this mean I should expect 300? Just tested it and I'm only getting 50 anyway the barstewards!
Yes.

I would ask them about why you getting 50mb. Might be over subscribed in your area.

Silva

Ran a test and I'm getting 20/50 I should be getting from Virgin. I'd be happy enough if it goes up to 40 with this change though. It's enough for what I do. My upload speed is dreadful though, peaking at 1.2mbps.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can get 158mb wired (laptop) and about 100mb wifi (on iphone). The PS4 is connected via Ethernet but for some reason maxes out at 40-50mb.

I wonder if this will be a 'free' speed increase like last time. Bastards already increased my bill twice over the last 12 months. I would switch to BT infinity but they don't offer that in my area, and I don't want to go back to regular non-fibre optic BB.

Woodzy

I need to get with the times. My house still has Sky 10mb broadband - I download at 1.2mb/s abiding no-one else is using the internet :lol:.
I'm in same situation
I was in the exact situation myself until last night, until I phoned retention's and asked them to sort me out because I was going to cancel. I've now been upgraded to Fibre at no extra cost (no connection fee, free router) for 12 months. Once that expires I suspect there will be something at a better price around anyway. The fact the Sky are able to offer stuff like this takes the piss in the first place.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Over wifi or connected with a wire?
I did a test last night and with wifi I am getting 149mbs.
What I will say to people though is, if you are connected through wifi and are only getting about <80mb, it will because your wifi card only supports 2ghz.
When I first got virgin, I could wait to test my connection, only to be disappointed at 80gb (I know...right :lol:), but later found out that to get the full download speed through wifi, I'd need a card that supports 5ghz

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can get 158mb wired (laptop) and about 100mb wifi (on iphone). The PS4 is connected via Ethernet but for some reason maxes out at 40-50mb.

I wonder if this will be a 'free' speed increase like last time. Bastards already increased my bill twice over the last 12 months. I would switch to BT infinity but they don't offer that in my area, and I don't want to go back to regular non-fibre optic BB.
That's about the most you will get through PSN.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I did a test last night and with wifi I am getting 149mbs.
What I will say to people though is, if you are connected through wifi and are only getting about <80mb, it will because your wifi card only supports 2ghz.
When I first got virgin, I could wait to test my connection, only to be disappointed at 80gb (I know...right :lol:), but later found out that to get the full download speed through wifi, I'd need a card that supports 5ghz
Is that something you had to sort out? Or do you Virgin do it?

Kaos

Virgin were a load of pish. I had their 100mb broadband a few years ago, but it felt more like my broadband was anywhere between 1-100mb.

Brocky

It's dependant on your device's wifi capability.

Ran a test and I'm getting 20/50 I should be getting from Virgin. I'd be happy enough if it goes up to 40 with this change though. It's enough for what I do. My upload speed is dreadful though, peaking at 1.2mbps.
Have you ran this test using Ethernet? Running speed tests via Wifi is pointless.

I'm on 100meg. I have never seen it drop below 98. It usually sits around 102. I have seen it go as high as 106.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Something you would have to sort out yourself.
If you have a newer iPhone, or other high end phone, if you try and connect to your router, you will notice there are two connections, one that says 5g and one that says 2g.
If you can connect to the 5g one, that is when you will get the higher speeds.

If you have a laptop, you'd probably have to replace your wireless card

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's dependant on your device's wifi capability.

Have you ran this test using Ethernet? Running speed tests via Wifi is pointless.

I'm on 100meg. I have never seen it drop below 98. It usually sits around 102. I have seen it go as high as 106.
Something you would have to sort out yourself.
If you have a newer iPhone, or other high end phone, if you try and connect to your router, you will notice there are two connections, one that says 5g and one that says 2g.
If you can connect to the 5g one, that is when you will get the higher speeds.

If you have a laptop, you'd probably have to replace your wireless card
Thanks guys. I've never seen that 5g or 2g connection thing though.

Silva

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet in so I don't see the point. The router is literally under my desk, though, so it should be pretty good here anyway.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Not all modems/routers will output a 2.4GHz and 5GHz signal simultaneously. The one I had from UPC could be switched to output either, but not both at the same time.

I recently bought a dual-band router that does output both at the same time - so you see both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi signal that you can connect to.

Cypriot

I was in the exact situation myself until last night, until I phoned retention's and asked them to sort me out because I was going to cancel. I've now been upgraded to Fibre at no extra cost (no connection fee, free router) for 12 months. Once that expires I suspect there will be something at a better price around anyway. The fact the Sky are able to offer stuff like this takes the piss in the first place.
Interesting, I might have to give them a ring. Is it a big job to change to Fibre from regular? Like, how long will it take them when they come to install it? Feel like I'm living in the stone age haha.

Marksy7

I'm paying for 152mb and when I test the speed I only get around 60mb, not impressed that its less than half promised

Woodzy

Interesting, I might have to give them a ring. Is it a big job to change to Fibre from regular? Like, how long will it take them when they come to install it? Feel like I'm living in the stone age haha.
They are sending a new router out in a couple of days - they told me to plug it in and carry on with my current connection as normal. In about 2 weeks time it will simply just switch over. It's as simple as that.

Cypriot

They are sending a new router out in a couple of days - they told me to plug it in and carry on with my current connection as normal. In about 2 weeks time it will simply just switch over. It's as simple as that.
I don't know whether to praise this godly technology or to be angry at the fact that they've continued to take my money for sub-par internet speeds :lol:.

Woodzy

I don't know whether to praise this godly technology or to be angry at the fact that they've continued to take my money for sub-par internet speeds :lol:.
Well the actual price for Sky Firbe is a bit higher, but with Sky being Sky, they are willing to offer it for much lower at the slightest hint of a cancellation.

Brocky

I'm paying for 152mb and when I test the speed I only get around 60mb, not impressed that its less than half promised
Is that tested via Ethernet? If your device's wireless card is only 60mb capable, then you're only going to get that over Wifi.

If that speed is the same via Ethernet, then call tech and they will do what they can to sort it.

Havak

Pokemon master
Just did a speed test and upstairs via wireless I'm getting 8mbps.. I'm on Virgin's 152 currently haha feel like I should ring up and complain (not sure if it's just the area I live in, but for the past month things have been noticeably slower).

Brocky

Just did a speed test and upstairs via wireless I'm getting 8mbps.. I'm on Virgin's 152 currently haha feel like I should ring up and complain (not sure if it's just the area I live in, but for the past month things have been noticeably slower).
No, you should do the speedtest via Ethernet. Then call up, if it's less than 10% of your package speed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
On the XXL package.

Just got 161.28mb/s down and 12.01 mb/s up (ran whilst doing p2p) and 6 ms ping via speedtest, so Virgin are doing good by me.

Looking forward to the enhanced speed.

The biggest problem these days is having enough HDD space to keep up.

Oh, it's also about time they do something with their upload ratio, too.

vanthaman

Winner
We are on 30mb broadband through Virgin and pay £110 a month , big kahuna 152mb inc sky sports and sky hd is £96 a month, should probably threaten to cancel