Gaming VR: meta Quest 2

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The mandatory Facebook account is a deal breaker for me, but I do hear good things about it otherwise.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The mandatory Facebook account is a deal breaker for me, but I do hear good things about it otherwise.
You don't have to have one anymore. But even if you did, it didn't have to do anything, you could just set one up with absolutely no information. Though I do agree that all along when you did have to use one, that was what put me off too.

All in all it's a great piece of kit, and even better if you have a PC (not even a particularly powerful one).

Drawfull

I don't *think* you need one anymore: I've had a Quest 1 and a Quest 2 since they launched and did have to make an account at some point and did so under duress, but pretty sure the requirement has been/is going to be scrapped.

Regardless, it's a great headset and if you have a gaming PC you also get the best of both worlds.

Drawfull

You don't have to have one anymore. But even if you did, it didn't have to do anything, you could just set one up with absolutely no information. Though I do agree that all along when you did have to use one, that was what put me off too.

All in all it's a great piece of kit, and even better if you have a PC (not even a particularly powerful one).
Are you reading my unposted posts?!

Gordon S

Picked up a Quest 2 here for christmas. My first time trying VR games like this and it was weirdly awesome. Just played some Beat saber and a mini golf game so far, nothing too exciting but still loads of fun. Downloading Resident Evil atm, looking forward to have a go at that.
Any suggestions what to pick up next?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Picked up a Quest 2 here for christmas. My first time trying VR games like this and it was weirdly awesome. Just played some Beat saber and a mini golf game so far, nothing too exciting but still loads of fun. Downloading Resident Evil atm, looking forward to have a go at that.
Any suggestions what to pick up next?
If you have a pc or laptop capable the list is huge - Half Life Alyx etc.

If not then I like the Vader Immortal trilogy and puzzle games such as Myst, The Room VR and Red Matter.

Gordon S

If you have a pc or laptop capable the list is huge - Half Life Alyx etc.

If not then I like the Vader Immortal trilogy and puzzle games such as Myst, The Room VR and Red Matter.
Thanks!
Not using a PC. They look interesting!

Glorio

I hear thrill of fighting is a brilliant fitness game. Any other fitness games? Only saw the advert yesterday and thought it was worth looking into.

Drawfull

I hear thrill of fighting is a brilliant fitness game. Any other fitness games? Only saw the advert yesterday and thought it was worth looking into.
Thrill of the fight benefits more from a big play area, but if you have the space it's a fantastic workout, seriously.

Beat Saber is a good work out as well, of course, but if you want more variety then Supernatural is pretty good and does a better job of whole body work, but it's a subscription service. When I was using it it wasn't available outside of the US, so I had to VPN it, but once in it worked flawlessly.

fergosaurus

Thrill of the fight is by far the best VR game I've played, can't recommend it enough. I'm sure it's better in a well spaced area but I'm restricted to a relatively small area and it's still loads of fun. Makes every fight a slugfest. :lol: For 8 quid it's a no-brainer if it seems the type of game you'd be into. They're working on a sequel but that probably won't be out until late '23/early '24.

Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are also good options.

Glorio

Thrill of the fight benefits more from a big play area, but if you have the space it's a fantastic workout, seriously.

Beat Saber is a good work out as well, of course, but if you want more variety then Supernatural is pretty good and does a better job of whole body work, but it's a subscription service. When I was using it it wasn't available outside of the US, so I had to VPN it, but once in it worked flawlessly.
Thrill of the fight is by far the best VR game I've played, can't recommend it enough. I'm sure it's better in a well spaced area but I'm restricted to a relatively small area and it's still loads of fun. Makes every fight a slugfest. :lol: For 8 quid it's a no-brainer if it seems the type of game you'd be into. They're working on a sequel but that probably won't be out until late '23/early '24.

Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are also good options.
Well colour me intrigued!
Hoping there are solid storylines rather than just bouts with no context

fergosaurus

Maybe in the sequel, not sure, but to be honest it's pretty bare-bones in that respect. Creed has more of a storyline but is much less fun to play and the mechanics of TOFT are much better.

Drawfull

Thrill doesn't have a story really, but it's a solid game even if you don't have as much space as would be preferred. This is because the ring in the game scales 1 to 1 with the space you do have, so if you play in a 4mx4m room (for example), then the ring fills this space. It's fecking great like this and worth moving furniture for IMO. In a large space it is a real workout, and unless you're already very fit you will be knackered after a couple of rounds. You get the real 60s between rounds to recover - edit, and you'll be wishing it was a lot longer very quickly...

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thrill doesn't have a story really, but it's a solid game even if you don't have as much space as would be preferred. This is because the ring in the game scales 1 to 1 with the space you do have, so if you play in a 4mx4m room (for example), then the ring fills this space. It's fecking great like this and worth moving furniture for IMO. In a large space it is a real workout, and unless you're already very fit you will be knackered after a couple of rounds. You get the real 60s between rounds to recover - edit, and you'll be wishing it was a lot longer very quickly...
Do you sweat when playing it? If you do, how bad does that get with the VR googles on?

Drawfull

Do you sweat when playing it? If you do, how bad does that get with the VR googles on?
Thrill is the most intensive game I've ever played in VR by a mile. If you take something like Beat Saber, and play at the hardest level for half an hour you might sweat, you might not: Thrill will make you sweat in 5 minutes. It's basically boxing 'for real' and it can be an issue with the headset on - I don't recommend using a silicon cover for the visor with it, you'd be better with swappable cloth covers and sweatbands and air the headset/swap its protector after a session. I've never had a technical issue because of sweat though, so it's not a big deal in that respect.

Edit: also, put a chair in your corner if you're playing in a big space, in such a way that it matches the in-game chair's location. You'll need it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thrill is the most intensive game I've ever played in VR by a mile. If you take something like Beat Saber, and play at the hardest level for half an hour you might sweat, you might not: Thrill will make you sweat in 5 minutes. It's basically boxing 'for real' and it can be an issue with the headset on - I don't recommend using a silicon cover for the visor with it, you'd be better with swappable cloth covers and sweatbands and air the headset/swap its protector after a session. I've never had a technical issue because of sweat though, so it's not a big deal in that respect.

Edit: also, put a chair in your corner if you're playing in a big space, in such a way that it matches the in-game chair's location. You'll need it.
Ok, cheers.

Just wondered how that would work with that kind of kit. My friend has been raving about his kit since he got it. I need to take a gander, see if it’s for me!

Drawfull

Ok, cheers.

Just wondered how that would work with that kind of kit. My friend has been raving about his kit since he got it. I need to take a gander, see if it’s for me!
Do! You'll either be wowed or eh?? I don't think there's many inbetweeners in the people I've spoken to over the years.

Assuming you've never played in VR, that's a whole different conversation about what to try, what to avoid initially (in case you get motion sick) and so much more; it's probably beyond the scope of this thread, but:

I bought the OG PSVR at launch and played Driveclub. I was sat on my sofa in the kart-y like car the name of which I forget, and I looked around and was genuinely blown away. Racing those first few tracks I found myself reacting to the bumps and stuff, as in literally moving my whole body, and I was sold. I got PC VR soon after that.

The biggest issue for me in VR generally is and has been content, because with the success of the Quest headsets it feels that that's been where the focus has been to the detriment of the medium overall. Don't get me wrong, there's loads of quality content for the Quests and I'd absolutely recommend picking one up, but I hope that with PSVR2 there'll be a glut or more in depth experiences and games - PSVR was in the great scheme of things a shit headset, but it arguably has the best library.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pistol whip still draws me back in occasionally. Other than that I got bored with it.

Although in fairness I rarely use the PlayStation or xbox anymore either

Glorio

Just got Thrill of the fight. My fight area isn't massive, so it is intense!

First fight, I was knackered after one round! I went back a lot later and did a second round, but it just showed me how unfit I've let myself get!

My muscles ached for days after :lol:

Drunkn Bar fight is good fun, even if the controls are a bit confusing!

I hear Path of the warrior is like a VR version of Streets of Rage from back in the day

Glorio

Re: Thrill of the Fight.

On the Easy setting, I've gone through all the fighters now. It is a workout and a half! Especially when fighting that money maker fella. He's the definition of a relentless pressure fighter, and doesn't give you a breather till later in the rounds if you've managed to hurt him a fair bit.

Had to rely massively on footwork and counterpunching, where with the rest, I felt I could really push forward and take the fight to them.
Anyone looking for a VR workout, I can attest, this is the game. One fight with money maker, plus any 2 of the 3x3 min round fighters, and perhaps a very vigorous sparring round, and you may find yourself into the 500-600s in terms of calories burned (according to the move app anyway) while having fun.

Glorio

I've started using the silicon cover that came in the box because the usual foam was constantly getting soaked, and for hygiene sake, I decided to cover it.

I've just moved on the 'normal' setting as I'd previously been fighting on 'easy'. I was finding lately that I had to start holding back in order for the opponents on 'easy' to last over the course of a 6 round fight (apart from money maker).

'Normal' is much better - scoring a knock down is a lot harder and my combos don't always land. There's a lot more jeopardy as well as the fighters are more aggressive.

Remains to be seen whether I've compromised on the cardio aspect though, as the good thing with 'easy' was I could get away with letting my hands go with reckless abandon

Path of the warrior is an enjoyable beat em up game (it's very true that it draws inspiration from streets of rage), but it's not as good of a workout