Wan-Bissaka for sale

atkar83

He's been able to shut down some of the best forwards in the league on his side. He has some deficiencies which he's trying to improve but that shut down ability isn't something every rb can provide. Like others have said, so long as its not a massive money deal that they can't move, he deserves it.

saivet

I think RB is an area we could strategically improve in a year or two. Given Dalot signed a new contract recently I'm a bit surprised as I don't think relying on the two of them in the long term is a sensible move to make as they are both decent options but upgradeable.

Bebe

AWB was better going forward in that he managed the bare minimum of hanging on to the ball and getting a few crosses in. He was still pretty in his positioning. I've no idea why he should get a payrise.

When is his current contract up?
I disagree with the bolded (assuming it was meant to say "pretty poor" or similar). Going forward he was taking up the advanced positions along the opposition box that modern fullbacks are seemingly expected to. I thought his positioning was one of the biggest improvements we saw last year, along with his ability to retain the ball and his pass selection.

Devil You Know

AWB is currently on £90k while Dalot is on £85k.

The only way this makes sense is if AWB gets a salary bump even higher to, say, £100k. At that point:
  • AWB is the clearly ahead of Dalot in the wage hierarchy
  • AWB becomes less sellable
All of which gives weight to the idea that AWB is going to be first choice this season, while Dalot will be sub. Then at the end of the season, a 25 year old Dalot on a salary of £85k will still be somebody we can move on if we need to. Or not if we don't. Either way, I think AWB is here to stay one way or another.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If you had told a United fan that we would receive 60-70m in offers for Maguire and McTominay this window a couple of months ago, they wouldn’t believe it. Even after we bridge the gap in Maguire’s wages, we will still be left with an outcome that most United fans will be really pleased with.

I think maybe we underestimate our own players value at times.
To be fair, they are internationals. McTominay I wouldn't value at that price, Maguire I easily would.

Withnail

I disagree with the bolded (assuming it was meant to say "pretty poor" or similar). Going forward he was taking up the advanced positions along the opposition box that modern fullbacks are seemingly expected to. I thought his positioning was one of the biggest improvements we saw last year, along with his ability to retain the ball and his pass selection.
I meant in his positioning in his defensive duties. He was better going forward but better than absolutely awful isn't great. I don't think he'll ever be Man United standard. He's 25 now.

Abraxas

I think people are kind of scarred by the Woodward approach to contract renewals.

Resigning players you aren't totally sure about in the long term isn't inherently bad. It depends on the exact terms and reasoning for it.

What you don't want to do is pay too much and leave yourselves exposed. You only do that for key stars that we need to be extremely competitive in the market for. There isn't a competitive market for the AWB's of our squad but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the club. In general we don't want to lose players for free irrespective of whether we think they're the future of their position. So it just depends for me, get him signed on a deal that he can be moved on from and it is logical. Usually there will be a market for an English player even if the fee is low due to wages - but this is still a damn sight better than players walking off for free.

Posh Red

To be fair, they are internationals. McTominay I wouldn't value at that price, Maguire I easily would.
Fair enough.

Ten Hag has the team playing much better, which I think will help us sell our players moving forward. Dalot even broke into the Portugal side ahead of Cancelo.

We have a system now which helps our players display their strengths.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Who is, then? Right back seems to be all we're lacking from having a formidable side. New keeper, great left back, great CBs, great holding mid, great attacking mids, great players on both flanks, and now a (hopefully great) striker is in.
The post said “squad” not “team”. There are worse currently still in the squad

RuudTom83

Hehe some of the United players get zero love from the fans.

AWB is one of the best fullbacks in the league and he is still only 25 years old...going into a big game in the CL or the league, no one better than AWB for shutting the right wing down!

RVN1991

I can see the use for him especially in specific games where we need to mark a winger out of the game but yeah you get the feeling the starting RB spot could be improved.

OrcaFat

Totally fine thing to do as long as the new wages aren't extravagant.
Yeah, we might not even offer him more than he’s on. Can’t see him refusing what would essentially be an extension at a great club on a great wage. He must pinch himself every time he turns up for work. The only way from here is down, he won’t play hardball.

Wing Attack Plan R

Hehe some of the United players get zero love from the fans.

AWB is one of the best fullbacks in the league and he is still only 25 years old...going into a big game in the CL or the league, no one better than AWB for shutting the right wing down!
Not sure anyone undervalues his defensive work. It’s always been what he offers in attack that has been the problem. He doesn’t link up with Antony currently, in my view, in a manner that would unlock Antony’s best strengths, so our right sided attack is less than it could be.

davidmichael

I think AWB has improved enough under ETH for ETH to want to keep him and see if he can improve further into a genuine all round right back that can defend and attack although his first touch needs a lot of work still, I think of the two I’d rather keep AWB and move Dalot on next summer and with Dalot only being on £85K a week we won’t struggle moving him on for a decent fee as he’s not on a ridiculous wage.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Maguire, McTominay, Williams, VdB, martial, Dalot, Lindelof

all SQUAD players I’d sell before AWB
Not really relevant to the point I was making. The main thing is, that we don't have one RB that is good enough. At all the other positions (Hojlund and Mount remains to be seen), we have at least one player of the required standard.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I mean, maybe offer him a new deal on the same terms. But we’d be mad to give him a pay rise, otherwise we’re just repeating the same mistakes.

Zoo

AWB has put in a level of consistency and shown improvement.

Dalot never has apart from a few months before the World Cup, before and since that period he has been a disappointment and if he carries on like this he will be sold.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is ok, but we need an upgrade. Still he is quite young, so a contract on the same terms, or with a tiny increase (100k or so) makes sense. I think he is quite sellable if in those terms in 1-3 years.

glasgow 21

We are making the same mistakes again. He is not deserving of a contract. Neither is Dalot.
So the only player we have that can neutralise the dangers of opposition left sided attacker is useless? dreary me, amazing take on a player that has turned his time at United on its head. 1on1 he is well in the top half of right backs. Each to their own i suppose.

Red00012

While I’d understand why we would want to renew one of them to give both a renewal makes no sense. Neither are good enough

flappyjay

So the only player we have that can neutralise the dangers of opposition left sided attacker is useless? dreary me, amazing take on a player that has turned his time at United on its head. 1on1 he is well in the top half of right backs. Each to their own i suppose.
This guy gives the defense security and calm when facing tricksters. One of the duels football fans want to see is AWB vs Vinicius.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Dalot was given a contract because he improved and could be sold for some good money after that improvement if he didn’t find consistency.

Wan Bissaka has improved beyond Dalot and is getting a new contract to fight with Dalot’s replacement (Frimpong?) for the starting RB spot.

An amazing attacking RB fighting with an amazing 1vs1 defender.

Our squad is going to be great.

lex talionis

Even with the arrival of Hojlund, the gaping hole in the squad by far is striker. Maybe young Rasmus tears up the league starting with Wolves but I doubt that. But we do need to address the RB spot...just not right now.

Newtonius

What's the point hes the Mctominay of full backs, RB is obviously the next biggest position to sort out and although neither of them are good enough who would you rather have as a backup if your goal is to control games, obviously Dalot. He was even pretty good for parts of last season.

jesperjaap

Personal opinion is both shouldnt have stayed,w e should have sold one of them. Not going to go back into the old Dalot v Bissaka debate....but both are on relativdly low salaries for this club.

Considering all that has been and still needs to be done this summer (gk/cb/st possibly all needed to be added to the squad)....who do people think we could have signed this summer that is a big improvement on that positionfor value. As the only names saw again and again were the obvious Hakemi who woul dhave been a big fee and huge wages so affected our spend, Frimpong who seemed to be £40m or so and doesnt seem close to the finishe darticle all round, Vanderson who I liek bu tagin £40-50m and not much experience.

Personally the last couplpe of years been two I would have liked and both have now moved to the premiership. Both raw, Gusto has gone to Chelsea which I dont get with James there and similar with Livaramento when they ave Trippier (unless he moves to the left).

Of course there were injury concerns, but I think Livaremnto at £30m could be a great deal for Newcastle, he looks a fantastic attacking full back in the making.Interesting to see how he goes, the again thought Gordon would have a big season last year there, but they seem to be buying well i terms of youngsters with talent and strong attributes

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed. I was very surprised by the Dalot renewal. It’s long been lauded as a position we were looking to strengthen.
We only renewed Dalot because he can play on the left, which means if Shaw has to play an extended period at CB then Malacia has some competition at LB. If we weren’t trying to move on most of our CB’s this window Dalot would have gone I reckon.