Wan-Bissaka for sale

Ekeke

A lot of the times he’s faced with 1v1’s is due to his lack of positioning in the 1st place and throw in his strolling back to his position and you’ve got a really poor RB who we now classify as he’s ok or he does enough. my choice would be Frimpong with Leverkusen. It would be a huge upgrade
He's not a rightback. Well, he has played there but not regularly and its not their first choice. And all his good games are as a wingback with a 3 man defence.

We dont play a 3 man defence where the job of the RCB is to constantly defend behind the wingback. If you dont understand this much you are a lost cause

roseguy64

A lot of the times he’s faced with 1v1’s is due to his lack of positioning in the 1st place and throw in his strolling back to his position and you’ve got a really poor RB who we now classify as he’s ok or he does enough. my choice would be Frimpong with Leverkusen. It would be a huge upgrade
His positioning is not poor when he does his 1v1 tackles. That's a myth. His defensive positioning with crosses? Yeah but it's clear he has intent with his 1v1 defending.

caid

He's not a rightback. Well, he has played there but not regularly and its not their first choice. And all his good games are as a wingback with a 3 man defence.

We dont play a 3 man defence where the job of the RCB is to constantly defend behind the wingback. If you dont understand this much you are a lost cause
He's played more games at right back than right midfield. He can play both.

Martial

Take the money and run.

Offers absolutely nothing besides bad positioning, poor ball control, and the occasional tackle.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Unless we have someone lined up I’d sign him to a new deal
I am sure we'll plan to bring someone in the summer if we are going to sell him.

Signing him to a new deal, for me, will be a continuation of the mediocrity we have seen over the last 11 years. I'll file that under the contract extensions for Rooney, Nani, Zlatan, Jones, Bailly, Matic, Mata etc. He is a thoroughly mediocre player with his spidey tackles his only redeeming quality. He has little positional sense, is terrible in the air, has constant lapses of concentration, jogs around half the time, is not very good when pressured, he is not a good passer or crosser of the ball. He is totally getting by on his athletic abilities.

Zed 101

You didnt even refute my point you just insulted me. People insult each other when they cannot attack their point. So well done

You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. A United fan posting on a United forum watches Manchester United. You are a liar if you are suggesting you watch any other fullback from any other club as much. And again - you didnt. Because even you know its true even though you're mad about it.
What is more insulting? saying somebody is a cheeky muppet, or telling a person you have never met or talked to before, what they are thinking and how they have come to that opinion? I know which annoys me more! also calling somebody a liar who doesn't agree with you... very mature!

Why do you find it so impossible to to accept that somebody disagrees with you? how do you go through life incapable of having a differing opinion? or do you just bang on until everybody you meet gives in or pretends to just to get you to stop?

To be clear I used to watch Wolves when they were in the division below (week in and week out as they were my Dad's team), I watch Telford home games as my local team, if there is football on the TV (men or women) I watch it, but then I guess I must be lying because I don't agree with you!

I re-iterate AWB is the worst first choice RB we have had at Utd in my living memory! that goes back to the mid 80s, that is my subjective opinion, based on what my eyes and brain tell me, maybe you disagree, more power to you my friend, I am happy for you, to prove my 80s heritage "it takes different strokes to move the world"

Again I would ask if responding to any post I make that you confine yourself to posting what you think, not what I think.

Zed 101

His positioning is not poor when he does his 1v1 tackles. That's a myth. His defensive positioning with crosses? Yeah but it's clear he has intent with his 1v1 defending.
Why is that a myth? I mean I know I feel it is that way based on watching him play that way, watching him being completely out of position and slowly jogging back whilst the opposition are sprinting towards our goal.

In fairness to him in games where he has been tasked with sitting and really protecting the RB position he is much better, the issue is he has been tasked with attacking, when he tries to attack that is when his positioning gets skewed and he gets caught up the field a lot, if his only job was to defend and never go beyond the half way line I would have a lot more faith in him as a player, but that is only ever going to be the case if we are playing somebody like PSG and we have no choice.

Cloud7

I would definitely move him on.

I don’t get the whole “RB isn’t a priority for us, he is a serviceable option until other areas are sorted”

That’s the sort of mentality that has got us stuck with a squad full of players who have no place being at United, saying replacing them isn’t a priority and being satisfied with a serviceable option.

Progress doesn’t have to follow one path, and one of our biggest issues has been selling players for actual money. If we can get a decent transfer fee for someone who is not at the level that we are aiming to be at, then we should move them on, even if that position wasn’t going to be one that we would have focused on at this point.

I am tired of players who can just “do a job” being here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Our fullbacks on both flanks are not good enough. That has been obvious for a few years.

We can keep one of Dalot or AWB as a backup player. Dalot being comfortable on both flanks probably makes sense we keep him and sell AWB short term. Dalot is also on lower wages.

AWB is a decent player he just isn’t a PL or UCL winning level fullback, neither does he have the potential to be one. Neither does Dalot so we need to sign a RB (I would argue LB too)

Red00012

He played right back for Celtic. I didn’t realise that playing right wing back for his current club because they play 3 at the back automatically rules him out playing as a right back for another club :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Actually, he already did Crystal Palace and was a standout there.
He really was not. He was bang average at Palace.

I also dont get why people pretend like he is like a Konate at RB. He is not. He dont make a huge amount of recoveries, and he has several flaws in his game off the ball. He is very, very good in a very particular type of situation. That is it.

Kyle Walker on the other hand, is just very well rounded and tidy.

Oranges038

I also dont get why people pretend like he is like a Konate at RB. He is not. He dont make a huge amount of recoveries, and he has several flaws in his game off the ball. He is very, very good in a very particular type of situation. That is it.

He'd have struggled to get in permanently ahead of Joel Ward.

CM

A defender who defends? I understand we want more, but in the hierarchy of priorities this isn’t anywhere near the top of the list.

But yeah, I’d love to bring in an upgrade. Who do we have in mind?
It's not exactly a defender who defends. Wan-Bissaka excels at one element of his defending, most of his other defensive traits leave a lot to be desired.

The right back situation will be a good indicator of how serious the new owners are about recruitment. We haven't signed a new player in that position for 5 years and neither player in that position looks capable of playing there to a consistently high standard. It won't necessarily be the top priority but it's starting to become a neglected position in the team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has been terrible this season, and he's another player you're never sure what you're going to get from him.

I used to like him but his style is just an awkward fit. His passing is weak, his 1st touch is awful, and his defending is lazy at most times. He coasts in a lot of games, just like McTominay and a few others.

Selling for 20m with 1 year left on his contract would be a good business.
Where does the idea of passing being weak continue to come from? Got a couple of others saying he cannot control the ball as well. There are a lot of things being said which are not true.

the one thing that is frustrating me about him is the perceived laziness. Whether that’s him or a technical instruction to stay a bit further up the field is another question.

but the suggestions that he’s a weak passer or cannot control the ball are nonsense

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Where does the idea of passing being weak continue to come from? Got a couple of others saying he cannot control the ball as well. There are a lot of things being said which are not true.

the one thing that is frustrating me about him is the perceived laziness. Whether that’s him or a technical instruction to stay a bit further up the field is another question.

but the suggestions that he’s a weak passer or cannot control the ball are nonsense
Indeed, absolute rubbish. He’s actually good on the ball.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It might make it easier to understand the most similar player to him in the prem is Trent who is regularly called out for his inability to play RB while being a very good player it's clear he's suited to being a bit higher up but not the right of an attacking 3 like a Salah, he would be a winger in an old school 4-4-2 or the right of a 5-3-2 as a wingback in modern systems.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Kyle Walker is not rounded or tidy at all. He’s an athletic freak. No more, no less. People like to dismiss AWB’s defending as mere ‘recovery’ - Kyle Walker is terrible positionally himself and is exactly the same, and his on the ball ability doesn’t go much further than kicking it 20 yards ahead and racing you. The ability between him and Cancelo was night and day for example. It’s just that Walker is a cheat code athletically.

Wan Bissaka is better on the ball than Walker. He’s a better dribbler/has better close control, and can carry the ball better than him too. He could easily replace Walker’s role of 1v1/counter-attack insurance policy in the City team because make no mistake - that id EXACTLY what Walker’s role is there.

lex talionis

It's not exactly a defender who defends. Wan-Bissaka excels at one element of his defending, most of his other defensive traits leave a lot to be desired.

The right back situation will be a good indicator of how serious the new owners are about recruitment. We haven't signed a new player in that position for 5 years and neither player in that position looks capable of playing there to a consistently high standard. It won't necessarily be the top priority but it's starting to become a neglected position in the team.
Fair enough. What transfer fee should we budget for a RB and who should we target?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like AWB but you can't have a fullback for any club with serious aspirations for success be so tepid on the offence.

Marwood

Indeed, absolute rubbish. He’s actually good on the ball.
He's pretty good at certain things on the ball but equally is poor in other ways.

The simple, short on the ground stuff. Receiving the ball when static. Being in tight situations. Yeah he's good.

But I've rarely seen a player at this level look so uncomfortable at passing a ball that's off the ground or passing it further than twenty yards. Same goes for heading, running onto a ball, crossing with any kind of culture or real thought.

I still like him but he is a strange mix of a player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He played right back for Celtic. I didn’t realise that playing right wing back for his current club because they play 3 at the back automatically rules him out playing as a right back for another club :lol:
He's arguably not even a wingback this season -- check his heatmap in Bundesliga matches or even his FBRef for the defensive actions -- he almost functions straight up as a right winger most of the time.

Frimpong's a good player. Just totally not appropriate for us and the personnel we have.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's pretty good at certain things on the ball but equally is poor in other ways.

The simple, short on the ground stuff. Receiving the ball when static. Being in tight situations. Yeah he's good.

But I've rarely seen a player at this level look so uncomfortable at passing a ball that's off the ground or passing it further than twenty yards. Same goes for heading, running onto a ball, crossing with any kind of culture or real thought.

I still like him but he is a strange mix of a player.
These things are largely aesthetics. Despite how he looks when doing it, he tends to get it done no less than most other full backs from what I see.

DWelbz19

His ball-carrying and general short pass game is good. His slide tackling is fantastic. I've always found Wan Bissaka's bigger problems to be his lapses in concentration, jogging back on breaks, and weak play at the back post defending. For a fullback of his height, he is very weak defensively.

I think both he and Dalot are, alright, and I don't see it as a priority position. Really sort out the central midfield, get an appropriate replacement for Varane, and probably another forward in the age profile a little older than Rasmusson who has more of a proven record in front of goal.

After that, then you can start tinkering with the right backs.

Camilo

I wish people would watch the matches and look at him rather than just repeating silly nonsense they’ve heard or read elsewhere
You watch AWB get on the ball and think "here we go, something's about to happen"?! Surely not! Because he can't do anything. The opposition do a gentle lazy press in his direction and he'll do a short predictable down the line pass, or a pass back to keeper. He's never the one to make the difference.

All 11 players should be able to make a difference. He's along for the ride. Good on the ball?!

spiriticon

If we keep going for the 'Let's sort out other areas first" attitude with all the players, then there will be no revamp of anything and we will be stuck with this squad of losers forever.

Some players like AWB are decent but not great, and it's ok to shift them if there is good business to be done.

DWelbz19

If we keep going for the 'Let's sort out other areas first" attitude with all the players, then there will be no revamp of anything and we will be stuck with this squad of losers forever.

Some players like AWB are decent but not great, and it's ok to shift them if there is good business to be done.
This. Also the phrase "not a priority". I hate it. Other than a handful of players, they are all a priority.
Hate it all you want, it's just not feasible. This isn't football manager. This is how the club has operated for the last 8-10 years. I don't expect half a season of INEOS doing audit reports will change that.

Remember the geese

Hate it all you want, it's just not feasible. This isn't football manager. This is how the club has operated for the last 8-10 years. I don't expect half a season of INEOS doing audit reports will change that.
And it needs to change. He has no divine right to stay here any longer than anyone else. The majority of these players are in the same boat. You can start with him or you can start with one of his sub-standard mates. Not good enough.

spiriticon

Well then no point in blaming the 'football structure' then, if we don't want to make changes to a bad structure.

We are stuck with mediocrity for the next 20 years. Give AWB 300k a week and let him start a clothing brand. JLingz approves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Yeah but right back really, really isn't a priority when we already have 2 decent options there.

golden_blunder

Staff
You watch AWB get on the ball and think "here we go, something's about to happen"?! Surely not! Because he can't do anything. The opposition do a gentle lazy press in his direction and he'll do a short predictable down the line pass, or a pass back to keeper. He's never the one to make the difference.

All 11 players should be able to make a difference. He's along for the ride. Good on the ball?!
Neither is he bad on the ball. He’s a full back for Christ’s sake not Scholes. An old fashioned right back who is not afraid of the ball, can pass it accurately and carry it very well with his dribbling.

golden_blunder

Staff
Forest showed us how not to do it. History has shown us that you can’t just kick 20 out and get 20 new ones in. That’s not how you build successful squads

aeh1991

If I had to choose, I'd rather sell Dalot. AWB has clear pros and cons and great to have as a backup, while Dalot is very inconsistent and average at everything.

spiriticon

Yeah but right back really, really isn't a priority when we already have 2 decent options there.
If there is good business to be done, priorities can be changed. That's how it is.

Sure, we don't have to move him out because he's half decent. But the shite ones get no offers in because they're shite, so it's unlikely they'll ever go for a good fee. If we want to wait until all the shite ones leave, it could never happen.

For the record, I would be OK if Dalot is the one to leave too. Both decent and not great players. Either or, doesn't matter.

YzWayne

Your description actually fits Antony more than AWB.

Of course, all 11 players should make a difference but you can’t possibly buy 11 or shipped 11 at a same window.

spiriticon

Forest showed us how not to do it. History has shown us that you can’t just kick 20 out and get 20 new ones in. That’s not how you build successful squads
They are exactly where I expect them to be, even after changing 20 players. I would argue the mass change hasn't really made a difference in terms of destabilisation.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If there is good business to be done, priorities can be changed. That's how it is.

Sure, we don't have to move him out because he's half decent. But the shite ones get no offers in because they're shite, so it's unlikely they'll ever go for a good fee. If we want to wait until all the shite ones leave, it could never happen.

For the record, I would be OK if Dalot is the one to leave too. Both decent and not great players. Either or, doesn't matter.
I'd be happy for either of them to go if I knew who we were getting in was an obvious upgrade but neither are bad enough that just any old full back is an upgrade on them. It's all good and well looking at players like Frimpong and saying he's going to be loads better but our Bundesliga signings rarely deliver.

spiriticon

I'd be happy for either of them to go if I knew who we were getting in was an obvious upgrade but neither are bad enough that just any old full back is an upgrade on them. It's all good and well looking at players like Frimpong and saying he's going to be loads better but our Bundesliga signings rarely deliver.
For me it's not about the upgrade, but the initiation of change and more trust in youth. Instead of paying players 150k a week to sit half the season or more on the bench in rotation, a youth team player should be able and trusted to fill that role.

The youth player might not be as good as AWB right now, but its ok.