Wan-Bissaka for sale

Abraxas

Jesus hes not that bad. Yes he has his limitations and not the type of player you want in a possession based system, but I'd back him to defend against 90% of the wingers in the league. People are really under-rating him because it's not exactly worked out.
I'd say he is for the money spent. We've had some shocking signings over the years but for 50 million quid for a player of such limited ability, I would put it up there with the worst. There may have been slightly crapper footballers but some were just speculative gambles and no big loss.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Needs to be more enticing. Like selling fresh fish at the market. Gotta get those customers in.
Schrodinger’s Wan-Bissaka may or may not be for sale depending on what you have or haven’t observed.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I'd say he is for the money spent. We've had some shocking signings over the years but for 50 million quid for a player of such limited ability, I would put it up there with the worst. There may have been slightly crapper footballers but some were just speculative gambles and no big loss.
£50 million is a fine fee for a promising up and coming talent. It's not worked out, it happens, he's limited, but this rewriting of the narrative that he's absolutely dreadful/one of the worst signings ever etc is well over the top.

RedOrange

Disagree. He’s one of the worst RBs in the league defensively. He’s a horrendous 1v1 defender, doesn’t close down opponents quick enough, gambles too often and is frequently out of position. He’s not especially pacey either. There’s a reason Elanga was picked at RW and spent a lot of time helping on Diaz and Robertson. I think Diaz had an off day, but also, Thiago and Fabinho, if in from the start, would have caused a lot of problems with their passing on the left.
Nope, Elanga played on the left for the first half against Pool and was subbed off at halftime. The TV graphic of the formation listed him on the right, but he didn't actually play there.

Also a fullback needing defensive help against Liverpool is a laughably bad indicator of bad defensive play. There isn't a fullback on the planet that doesn't need help vs Liverpool's wide players, they're universally acclaimed as being world class in the attacking phase.

RuudTom83

Sometimes players have to take some responsibility for there own careers.

Aaron can’t be that thick to not realise his chances are close to zero since ETH’s arrival.

Show some initiative and get yourself a move to somewhere you can play some football…your career is short!

FerociousCorgis

Can you imagine him coming up against us, with Sancho/rashford? I can see him shutting our left sides players down
not sure if you were joking or not but his positioning/positional awareness is so poor im pretty sure we would have immense success targeting him with movement.

bringbackbebe

Schrodinger’s Wan-Bissaka may or may not be for sale depending on what you have or haven’t observed.
The fact that we observed his game made him up for sale. The fact that other clubs observed his game made him not for sale since there were no takers.

redshaw

Perhaps our parameters were tackling

Searching 804 leftbacks for best tackling.... ding Aaron Wan-Bissaka - club Crystal Palace

marcus agrippa

£50 million is a fine fee for a promising up and coming talent. It's not worked out, it happens, he's limited, but this rewriting of the narrative that he's absolutely dreadful/one of the worst signings ever etc is well over the top.
Nothing up and coming about him to anyone who'd watched him. And I'm speaking as someone who absolutely didn't get the hype (still remember Shearer on MOTD creaming himself, and me being absolutely baffled). This guy had been one season in the Prem. One! You shell out that kind of money in that scenario only if it's absolutely nailed-on that the prospect is going places.

Abraxas

It's not rewriting, it has been clear from the start. All of us as fans were pretty much praying from his first performance that he could make some sort of strides in his technical and attacking play.

The problem being that it doesn't really happen like that at a certain age, it's hard to rectify basic abilities on the ball. So that tells you that we completely misjudged it from the very beginning, it's not just a talented lad that hasn't worked out as you're trying to portray. If Sancho didn't work out you can say he's an undoubted talent, Martial was a proper talent when younger, AWB is not - he's just a colossal waste of money that scouting dropped the ball on.

fallengt

Just cos we scouted 804 right backs doesn’t mean he was first in the list.

He might have been 400th
Ole: "Good work, team! Now add "Nationality: England", "Age: under 26" in the filter and give me the first name"
That was how AwB got picked.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ole: "Good work, team! Now add "Nationality: England", "Age: under 26" in the filter and give me the first name"
Stop it. This is laughably dumb. If this was true people wouldn't be so openly smug about writing such clever bullshit. It's some kind of self pity, not really funny or clever and worst thing is it seems to be a spreading trend. No offence.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jesus hes not that bad. Yes he has his limitations and not the type of player you want in a possession based system, but I'd back him to defend against 90% of the wingers in the league. People are really under-rating him because it's not exactly worked out.
In 1v1 battles, sure. But teams blatantly started changing how they attacked down our right side, limiting how often they got in 1v1 battles with AWB and instead started playing passes around him and putting in crosses over his head (both things he badly struggles to deal with). Just like young attackers get 'found out' after a season or two and defenders learn how to play against them, opposition teams did the same with AWB. He'd still have the odd good moment, but the more time went on the less he was able to utilitise his strengths and the more his weaknesses were getting targeted.

AFC NimbleThumb

& I’d back him to let 90% of the singers in the league drift in behind him for a a pass over his head/cross.

On the ground woth a man in front of him he’s probably the best in the game but defending isn’t simply a case of 1v1s, he’s woeful positionally & a net negative on the ball.

He’ll look a better player at teams that don’t control games but he’s so far off full backs at the best teams.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
People between who is worse from two shite RB's is tragic.

At least we have the appropriate quality at LB in spite of Shaw's application.

Something similar on the right is desperately needed.

Stacks

Stop it. This is laughably dumb. If this was true people wouldn't be so openly smug about writing such clever bullshit. It's some kind of self pity, not really funny or clever and worst thing is it seems to be a spreading trend. No offence.
Please also include an experience tab and put "leagues played in: Barclays premier league" and please can you change "estimated value: £35-60 million" so we can ensure we are getting the very best, thanks.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Please also include an experience tab and put "leagues played in: Barclays premier league" and please can you change "estimated value: £35-60 million" so we can ensure we are getting the very best, thanks.
AWB never played in the Barclays Premier League :wenger:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Make sure to grab all the low-hanging fruit on the way out, it's plenty left.

studs

The place from where he came from won't even take him back, nobody wants him.

Revaulx

Can you imagine him coming up against us, with Sancho/rashford? I can see him shutting our left sides players down
Well in that case we’d just get Antony to bang a load of crosses over to the far post. AWB has never been able to cope with that.

Borussia Teeth

Disagree. He’s one of the worst RBs in the league defensively. He’s a horrendous 1v1 defender, doesn’t close down opponents quick enough, gambles too often and is frequently out of position. He’s not especially pacey either. There’s a reason Elanga was picked at RW and spent a lot of time helping on Diaz and Robertson. I think Diaz had an off day, but also, Thiago and Fabinho, if in from the start, would have caused a lot of problems with their passing on the left.

Offensively, he can pass the ball and reliably pinch in when needed. He’s a better crosser of the ball than AWB (which isn’t saying much) and his decision making has improved. Very happy he has improved offensively, but from a defensive standpoint, he has a very long way to go, and frankly, may not have the physical attributes to become an even mediocre defender.
Elanga played left wing in that game and was subbed at half time. I don't think Dalot is great by any means but he was good against Liverpool.

lex talionis

You have a point about hyperbole, but the delivery/expectations quotient on this one is pretty low. 50m for a player who offered ZERO in attack and, apart from outstanding last-ditch tackling wasn't that much of a defender puts him in the top decile of flops in the history of the EPL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Dalot is avergae AWB isn't even a footballer. Dalot has some weaknesses but a lot have been exaggerated. At the very least, he can attack.
Nonsense. His first season was good. Definitely better than anything Dalot has produced at United. At his best aside from airally prowess he was an incredible defender. Dalot is incredible at being mediocre at everything.

Dalot is preferable (by me too) now because Awb is completely unsuited to front foot football. And of course also since Awb has completely fallen apart since the beginning of last season.

But it's complete revisionism and sensationalism to pretend that he is a non footballer or some shit like that.

JawZ

We scouted 804 right backs and spent 50 mil on this lad, they highest ever fee for a non-capped English player. You just couldnt make it up
This is as bad as crossing 81 times and ending the game 2-2 against Fulham. Things you wish you could forget...

Suv666

Awful signing. Would have been an ok fullback 10-15 years ago but modern football requires fullback going forward and he is genuinely one of the worst in the league offensively.

SmallCaine

Nonsense. His first season was good. Definitely better than anything Dalot has produced at United. At his best aside from airally prowess he was an incredible defender. Dalot is incredible at being mediocre at everything.

Dalot is preferable (by me too) now because Awb is completely unsuited to front foot football. And of course also since Awb has completely fallen apart since the beginning of last season.

But it's complete revisionism and sensationalism to pretend that he is a non footballer or some shit like that.
He was never an incredibly defender, he is great at tackling that is about it, his pace and our deeper line meant he looked good doing the limited things he was good at. He has no positional awareness thanks to our inept coaching, he is awful in the air as you stated, can't really read the game or mark a player out of the game as doesn't really keep track of his man off the ball.

I feel there is a player in there atleast a squad player but that is only if eth really wants to work with him rather than just replace him.

whitbyviking

I think a lot of the AWB opinion now is revisionism. Of memory serves correct the news at the time was more or less universally positive, even in the usual external media, and amongst pundits. He was English, highly rated and people were saying he was the type of player United absolutely had to be in for.

the strange thing with AWB is that he’s never been able to improve his skill set, and the game has left him behind. Whether it’s confidence, lack of talent or laziness may become apparent when he leaves.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I think a lot of the AWB opinion now is revisionism. Of memory serves correct the news at the time was more or less universally positive, even in the usual external media, and amongst pundits. He was English, highly rated and people were saying he was the type of player United absolutely had to be in for.

the strange thing with AWB is that he’s never been able to improve his skill set, and the game has left him behind. Whether it’s confidence, lack of talent or laziness may become apparent when he leaves.
Absolutely. He wasn't cheap, but he was very positively received by fans on the whole and his first season was solid enough from memory. He obviously always had limitations going forward, but not sure at what point the scales tipped and fans were near universally negative on him. Same can be said of Maguire tbh, although AWB never had such a severe drop off in form.

phelans shorts

Offensively, he can pass the ball and reliably pinch in when needed. He’s a better crosser of the ball than AWB (which isn’t saying much) and his decision making has improved. Very happy he has improved offensively, but from a defensive standpoint, he has a very long way to go, and frankly, may not have the physical attributes to become an even mediocre defender.
Given Elanga was on the other side roasting Trent, I’m going to take your assessment with a pinch of salt.

phelans shorts

Absolutely. He wasn't cheap, but he was very positively received by fans on the whole and his first season was solid enough from memory. He obviously always had limitations going forward, but not sure at what point the scales tipped and fans were near universally negative on him. Same can be said of Maguire tbh, although AWB never had such a severe drop off in form.
Personally I remember being negative on the signing, then his first season I thought he showed enough that maybe I was wrong. Then the wheels came off entirely, Leipzig away was probably the game where I gave up entirely on him so I’m going to guess others who were more positive than me also saw it as a tipping point.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
AWB is outstanding at locking down a wing against any opponent.

He hasn’t pushed on offensively and so long term seems incredibly unlikely to succeed at United but let’s not downplay how useful it was when he first arrived to know that opposing LWs were not going to get any joy against him.

His biggest issue is the switched ball he doesn’t read the flight well and is a terrible header of the ball as a result.

For me he’s the perfect lock down player for the last 15 minutes or so of a game but I accept that he’s just short of being right for us.

Marwood

Awful signing. Would have been an ok fullback 10-15 years ago but modern football requires fullback going forward and he is genuinely one of the worst in the league offensively.
I keep reading this.

Guys fullbacks were expected to attack in 2012 as well.

AWB's shortcomings would also have been problematic back then as they are now.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Maybe we're more open to keeping him now that we've kind of temporarily abandoned the principal of playing out from the back so he's no longer a complete spare part.