Was Dzeko's first goal onside?

padzilla

Hipster
Not that it matters because we were beaten all ends up by then but looking at it I can't see who was playing him onside. It was weird that Sky never mentioned the fact that every one of our, admittedly appalling, on the day at least, defenders appealed but it was more or less just taken for granted it was a goal.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I don't care, please stop reminding of last weekend. You said it doesn't matter so why ask?

padzilla

Hipster
Ah, so you can't be offside if you're behind the ball? I didn't know that. Shows what I know.

ArmchairCritic

Ah, so you can't be offside if you're behind the ball? I didn't know that. Shows what I know.
You've never squared it to a player next to you when one on one in Fifa, so he can tap it in? Also if you were offside when behind the ball, your entire team would be offside at goal kicks.

Donut

I was thinking this, but not about Dzeko, but Lescott. He looked offside.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Opponent goal kicks. should be fairly obvious i'd think.
Pretty sure he meant corner kicks. Why would he highlight that you can't be offside from opponent's goal kicks, when it's already coming from - well - an opponent?

Scrumpet

There are no words
I don't see why you would necessarily be offside from a corner either though. Most of the time you wouldn't.

Varun

Staff
Pretty sure he meant corner kicks. Why would he highlight that you can't be offside from opponent's goal kicks, when it's already coming from - well - an opponent?
Because it'd make the game very weird, dont you think?

Say the rule didnt exist, that'd mean you'd have to allow the opponent team the 1st touch from every goalkick of theirs. get a keeper that kicks it right to the opponent D and it'd be chaos. You either let the striker head it on to his teammate or give away a pen if you dare touch it. :lol:

Scrumpet

There are no words

Say the rule didnt exist, that'd mean you'd have to allow the opponent team the 1st touch from every goalkick of theirs. get a keeper that kicks it right to the opponent D and it'd be chaos. You either let the striker head it on to his teammate or give away a pen if you dare touch it. :lol:
Why?

Commadus

A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met: first, the player must be on the opposing team's half of the field. Second, the player must be in front of the ball. And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line, with the goalkeeper counting as an opposing player for these purposes. It is not necessary that the goalkeeper be one of the last two opponents. Any attacker that is level with or behind the ball is not in an offside position and may never be sanctioned for an offside offence. IFAB has clarified in the 2009–2010 Laws of the Game that a player temporarily off the field of play is considered to be ON the boundary line at the point that he crossed over the boundary line.[1]

The 2005 edition of the Laws of the Game included a new International Football Association Board decision that stated being "nearer to an opponent's goal line" meant that "any part of his head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent typically being the goalkeeper). The arms are not included in this definition."[2] This is taken to mean that any part of the attacking player named in this decision has to be past the part of the second-last defender closest to his goal line (excluding the arms) and past the part of the ball closest to the defenders' goal line.

pauldyson1uk

Not that it matters because we were beaten all ends up by then but looking at it I can't see who was playing him onside. It was weird that Sky never mentioned the fact that every one of our, admittedly appalling, on the day at least, defenders appealed but it was more or less just taken for granted it was a goal.
nobody cares

ArmchairCritic

But most of the time there'd still be two opposition players between them and the goal.
I was just referring to notion of being behind the ball, I didn't even factor in opposition players because I'm tired and it was such a silly notion I just totally ignored the fundamentals of the offside rule. My apologies.

Jaap

I know but we're talking about a hypothetical world where being behind the ball doesn't automatically make you onside.
Well, it does though - doesn't it?

One on one v the goalkeeper and the ball is passed to you when you are actually behind it, makes you onside.

Or am I missing one example where one is actually offside?!

Scrumpet

There are no words
Well, it does though - doesn't it?

One on one v the goalkeeper and the ball is passed to you when you are actually behind it, makes you onside.

Or am I missing one example where one is actually offside?!
No you're right. padzilla started this thread to find out why Dzeko's goal wasn't offside and was promptly told that it was because he was behind the ball when it was played.

Instead of stopping there like any sane person would, we decided to consider how things would work if that wasn't a rule in football. It's an important question that needs to be answered.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This thread is mind-boggling really.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You also cannot be offside in your own half or from a throw in just for those who are unaware of the basics

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back

What on gods earth are you talking about ?

1) Players cannot be offside in their own half so therefore the defence would all have to be in the opponents half

2) There must be at least two opposing players between your player and the goal - Therefore 10 off the opposition players would have to be in your own half

3) Its not a penalty for being in an offside position. Its an indirect freekick

To put it bluntly, as my mother used to say.. If you cant say anything sensible then shut the feck up..

:D

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I'm tempted to ask how the away goals rule works now...:smirk:
Don't... just don't.. This place will never be able to take the confusion that answering such a question would no doubt invoke

:D