Was it a foul?

Pogba's tackle on Neves — was it a foul?

• Total voters

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I call it "Spot the people who should start watching a different sport, because they sure as feck don't understand football"
Well they are the ones in the VAR room. They'll get some wrong and some right. It's what we signed up for...time to move on

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Couldn’t that be said of most fouls? Fact is Pogba didn’t catch Neves full on and it wasn’t a leg breaker. There’s a habit in seeing I’m building this tackle up to what it wasn’t instead of what it was.
If his toe grazes his shin guard then it’s not close to a leg breaker
I know I'm agreeing with you, but Pogba's foot goes in to high with the studs up is what makes it look bad, its just a wreakless challenge.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
My eyes didn't see a foul. Ref said not a foul. VAR said not a foul.

That seems fairly conclusive to me. Pogba could have been i trouble if h caught straight in the shin with studs up but he didn't. The fact the player was fine until he threw himself to the ground to try to get the play called back surely didn't help his claim?
It was a foul. Go to specsavers is my recommendation.

Rake

Haven't seen a replay after the game but I thought there was nothing in it when they showed the situation in slow motion during the game. It was terrible acting by Neves as well.

UncleBob

Well they are the ones in the VAR room. They'll get some wrong and some right. It's what we signed up for...time to move on
I couldn't care less considering we were shafted last week. Hardly changes the fact that they were both pretty clear fouls.

UncleBob

Haven't seen a replay after the game but I thought there was nothing in it when they showed the situation in slow motion during the game. It was terrible acting by Neves as well.

eire-red

I think it was a foul, but I don't think it's a clear and obvious error from Dean. Once he makes the judgement call on the 50:50, there's not enough there for VAR to intervene.

The media overreaction is completely unnecessary but also expected.

cyberman

I know I'm agreeing with you, but Pogba's foot goes in to high with the studs up is what makes it look bad, its just a wreakless challenge.
It’s a weird situation. I don’t think it’s made out to be a big deal if Neves doesn’t fall to the ground, which he admits diving when he saw the ball falling to Varane. Pogba does lunge in a bit but doesn’t really catch Neves and if you look at Neves he kind of pulls back from the challenge. He stops his follow through short and moves to the side.
I think it looks bad if you add it all together but I honestly think it’s our minds joining dots which should be there but aren’t. It should be a bad foul but it falls just short of it in all aspects. Then we are down to slowing it down to show his shin pad moving a bit.

Mercurial

I think it was a foul, but I don't think it's a clear and obvious error from Dean. Once he makes the judgement call on the 50:50, there's not enough there for VAR to intervene.

This mostly mean we are back into contention and seen as challengers.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
It was a clear foul, but at normal speed, even on replays you could not see a contact, also Neves did not fall right away, he made another 2 steps and fell afterwards.
It believe it would have been impossible for Dean to see that contact.

Any referee who sees that, gives a free kick and a yellow card.

We had the whole luck package in this game.

UncleBob

We're essentially back to shit implementation of VAR then. Communication really shouldn't be much of an issue in these situations, as it's fairly obvious it's a reckless challenge and a freekick.

UncleBob

It was a clear foul, but at normal speed, even on replays you could not see a contact, also Neves did not fall right away, he made another 2 steps and fell afterwards.
It believe it would have been impossible for Dean to see that contact.

Any referee who sees that, gives a free kick and a yellow card.

We had the whole luck package in this game.
If you can't see the contact, then you seriously need to consider handing in your drivers license.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The English FA love some good controversy and drama, don't they? Good luck with the new guidelines in a league where most officials referee reputations. This week, i bet the main argument for not blowing the whistle was that Neves stayed on his feet and didn't fall down like he was struck by lightning. Last week, when we got screwed, it was something along the lines of "the soft Portuguese who always complaints about fouls went down easily". No consistency at all is a recipe for disaster.

The worst thing about the media uproar is that we will probably not get another 50/50 call in our favour until the turn of the year. You just know it.

And since it's become a matter of interpretation, more than anything else, VAR can't really do anything to change the referee's mind.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno should have got penalty too? Neves clearly kicked Bruno when Bruno passed the ball to Shaw (30th min).

There was more contact than the Neves-Pogba incident.

Edit: Btw I think it's a foul and also think Bruno's one too (Neves kicking Bruno). Refs are as usual poor, they won't blow the whistle unless players go down immediately.

cyberman

I see all these slow motion replays but isn’t here a law saying VAR can’t use them for fouls?

VAR will improve on its use of slow-motion replays, which are not meant to be used to determine the seriousness of a challenge (instead, slow motion should be used only to determine point of contact for, for example, a potential handball). This is because the use of slow motion can make challenges look worse than they are and also make it appear that a player had more time to make a decision.

Played at normal speed and you can’t really see it. That’s why it’s slowed down in all these Twitter posts.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
If you can't see the contact, then you seriously need to consider handing in your drivers license.

During the game, there wasn't that kind of replay, that is what I was referring to.

Chippa62

Is this a contact or non-contact sport?
The ref did not call a foul (he has one fast view, not multiple replays from different angles) and it was not classed as a clear and obvious error by VAR, so carry on. I was the same last week, win some lose some.

Yes he caught his shin pad and spun it round which, Pogba's studs were no higher than if he was taking a step. If Pogba was a fraction quicker or the ball 6 inches closer to him we would have been saying that Neves was reckless because his follow through would have put his boot in a similar position Pogba's. It was a hard football on both sides (late diving excluded). When I used to play, you knew you had been in a good but hard game if you came out of it with aches and bruises.

Don't get me started on the "he was touched so he had the right to go down". Should we use a pandemic approach and ensure all players remain 2m apart? It would stop all the grabbing, pushing and pulling in the box during a corner.

Football is supposed to be two gladiatorial teams fighting it out to win, not a "to you, to me, after you sir" run-around.

Let us get back to football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Fox outside the box

Yeah I'd say it was a foul but can see why it wasn't given. Until I'd seen a specific angle, I didn't think there was contact at all. He has caught him ever so slightly and it doesn't deserve the drama around it being a risk of leaving Neves paralysed but he got none of the ball and did touch the player.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Main thing to take from this is that shin guards do work. Grealish take note.
Well that's the thing. Pogba took the shin guard not the shin. He basically rotated Neves's shin guard with minimal contact. Neves was utterly pathetic the way he went to ground when he realised the ball went to a Utd player. I still think it was a wreckless challenge inspired by a heavy first touch. Wolves players were falling over alot in that game mostly when they realised they lost the ball. I have zero sympathy for them.

Anyway I don't really get the point of this thread. There are a high % of games won unjustly every season. What's the big deal?

Coleyoscar

Overreaction is dead right. In the discussion after the game Sky replayed the incident fourteen times in the course of a ten minutes review. Fourteen!

I'm old enough to remember Souness in his prime. To hear him say the tackle was a "leg-breaker' is beyond belief knowing the thuggish behaviour that was his speciality.

GazTheLegend

I don't think it was foul, neves had no control of the ball in first place the contact was absolutely minimal just a 50/50 you could argue the pogba was lunging but the ref let far worse go in the game including a far worse lunge at sacho the sancho pulled out of that Tyler described as a robust challenge.

If the refs are going to let a little more go this season they can't suddenly change there mind if a goal is scored.
Feel the same way verbatim. Pogba was legitimately going for the ball and -barely- clipped Neves before he calculated they were in trouble and decided to throw himself to the floor. If wolves had possession would be have gone down I wonder. His quick look at the ref said it all for me.

redrobed

If anything there’s an argument it should have been a free kick to us. Pogba had got the previous touch and was in control of the ball. It was the orange player that was trying to get involved unnecessarily - if he’d stayed out of it there would have been no tackle at all.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

That angle makes it look much worse to be honest, there is clearly a lot more than "minimum contact" and its actually the shingaurd that saves him, you can see the shock wave going up Pogba's leg after. Its definitely a foul for the way Pogba goes in high and ends up going over the top of the ball you simply cant do that.

GazTheLegend

To add to my reply earlier I think intent should swing any 50/50 decisions. If both players go for a ball but you barely catch the other player it should not be a foul.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If anything there’s an argument it should have been a free kick to us. Pogba had got the previous touch and was in control of the ball. It was the orange player that was trying to get involved unnecessarily - if he’d stayed out of it there would have been no tackle at all.
Thats a bit of a stretch.

GazTheLegend

Thats a bit of a stretch.
Mike Dean let worse go in the game and gave most things wolves way this weekend and Southampton last. People were taking the piss out of Solskjaer saying football was going in a rugby direction - this is what you get. It worked for us this week it will work against us in future for sure because teams (including your horrible lot) regularly kick the shit out of us. It becomes a big deal only when it works in man utds favour: see- the Bruno foul last week getting way less response / Twitter outrage

eire-red

We're essentially back to shit implementation of VAR then. Communication really shouldn't be much of an issue in these situations, as it's fairly obvious it's a reckless challenge and a freekick.
It's a bad tackle, and could have been dangerous if Pogba made more contact. You usually see those tackles called as a FK, regardless of contact or not.

But Dean called a 50:50, there was minimal contact in the actual tackle, disregarding the potential damage the tackle could have done. I think the negligence of VAR here is being overplayed, last season people were calling for the game not to be analysed to the nth degree using slow-mo pictures.

There was a 50:50, mistimed tackle, ref could have given a free but didn't. Play went on and we scored. I can guarantee we'll have plenty go for and against us over the course of a season. Different refs will call the game in different ways, I didn't see yesterday as poor implementation of VAR, but evidence of the light touch method that's discussed.

There's never going to be a 'one size fits all' approach to using VAR, so the less it is used for these types of decisions is a positive in my eyes. Of course, I'd be moaning if the shoe was on the other foot, but that's football.

JB7

It’s a foul generally speaking. In the context of how he refereed the game it wasn’t a foul. Wolves were flying into everything first half & he let them get away with it, heck there was one right in front of me where the lad jumped in two footer and he didn’t give a foul.

There was also a carbon copy foul on Bruno in the penalty area first half, literally the exact same challenge. No one in the media is crying about him not giving a penalty for that. Can’t imagine why.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well, from that angle it is a clear foul. Pogba would have been trouble if Neves had faked it better.
Precisely this, just goes to show play acting does pay off.

Was a foul, if this happened to us we would be kicking off.

JB7

Precisely this, just goes to show play acting does pay off.

Was a foul, if this happened to us we would be kicking off.
It literally did happen to us. In the same game. In the penalty area. But there’s no fuss being made so nobody is kicking off.

spiriticon

I've seen the replay again and again and I can't see the freaking contact, so I don't know what Keane and Souness and on about.

The tackle also was one footed, not aimed directly at the opponent, and contact (if any) was infinitesimal.

Can't understand the calls for a foul.

Edit: I've just seen the tweet above and saw Neves' shinpads move about 30 deg. I see it now. Tiny tiny contact

Redcy

Can I have a poll for the foul on Bruno by neves where he stamps on his leg?

Redcy

Mike Dean let worse go in the game and gave most things wolves way this weekend and Southampton last. People were taking the piss out of Solskjaer saying football was going in a rugby direction - this is what you get. It worked for us this week it will work against us in future for sure because teams (including your horrible lot) regularly kick the shit out of us. It becomes a big deal only when it works in man utds favour: see- the Bruno foul last week getting way less response / Twitter outrage
See the foul by neves on Bruno where it was a leg breaker. Not even shown

Eric_the_Red99

Sky and BBC endlessly banging on about this one decision clearly shows that the media’s ABU agenda is as strong as it’s been since Fergie retired. Clearly a lot of people are rattled, which I think is a good sign.

Wolves were getting away with murder all match. Dean was letting them get away with assaults while blowing up every time one of their players fell over, especially in the first half.

One decision kind of, sort of, goes our way and we take advantage. Maybe if Wolves could hit a barn door they might have been able to take advantage of the myriad chances Dean handed to them yesterday.

And where was all this VAR outrage when the assault on Bruno led to Southampton’s goal the other day? The bias against United is really absurd sometimes, it really exposes people’s hypocrisy.