Was it a pen?

Was it a penalty

• Total voters

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No sane person would take the full force of the ball direct face to face..most people instinct is to turn their back to try to minimise the pain. You can see those freekick walls covering their manhood with their hands. Would you give a penalty if one hit the wall and their hand? Also good luck try jumping like that PSG kid with your elbows tuck in.
Which is why you don't "jump like that PSG kid"...:lol::lol::lol:

JohnnyKills

I'd have been furious had it gone against us.

But feck it, makes up for the Nani red card in 2013 doesn't it.

JohnnyKills

All players better get used to doing that. Per the ex ref Peter something on BT sport post match, as of June 1, all handballs will be a foul regardless of intentional or not. They will also not award any goal that touched a hand regardless of intent.
Not sure that's right. If that's true then the attacker can deliberately kick the ball at a defender's hand to buy a penalty.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tuchel’s point about the shot being off target is nonsense. It doesn’t matter where the ball was going, his player handled it. The only issue is intent.

Johan07

Even Clattenburg said that for him it wasn't a penalty, but under the current rules it is a penalty. Like the referee was right, but the rule is stupid.
Cluckenburg is a cnut, but he summarized it perfectly there. Its a one hundred percent pen according to the rules, then you can have opinions if the rules are adequate/correct or not, which is a completely different discussion.
It bugs the hell out of me when "pundits" like Owen goes "to me thats not handball". Well, guess what: what you think the rule should be is completely irrelevant to anything but to just that regulatory discussion. According to the applicaple rules and directives its a clear pen. End of.
Write an e-mail to UEFA or something if you want to change the application of the rules. Prick.

Dudu

Slippy G actually said that the ref made the right decision and it would have been an 'injustice' had United been knocked out. :eek:

Fair Play to him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It was a penalty: almost the perfect one. It was exactly what the rule talks about: making body larger

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The thing I don't understand is Tuchel complaining about it and saying that it shouldn't be a penalty because the shot isn't on target. Since when does that matter? No wonder so many people complain when the right call is made. They are learning the laws of the game from people like Tuchel who don't know the laws either...

Nanook

I don't understand what's harsh about it? This is as blatant as day...

Everything looks worse in slow-mo. In real time the ball was kicked so hard and so close that he barely had time to react. I can see why it was given but I personally think it was incredible harsh.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't understand what's harsh about it? This is as blatant as day...

He's looking at the ball until after Dalot hits it, then turns his back and lifts his arm up to try to block it.

It's handball and it's a penalty. It's pretty blatant actually.

Cait Sith

Clear as day, at worst you could say "bit harsh from that distance but still okay to give the call". One of the least controversial calls I've seen.

If you want controversy go back to some Madrid games:

Red card for this:

No offside:

No offside:

Offside:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Everything looks worse in slow-mo. In real time the ball was kicked so hard and so close that he barely had time to react. I can see why it was given but I personally think it was incredible harsh.
You don't get it. It is not a matter of not having enough time to react, the man put his arm out there to block the shot. To make himself bigger

GHam

Tuchel’s point about the shot being off target is nonsense. It doesn’t matter where the ball was going, his player handled it. The only issue is intent.
This. Okay so if the ball was clearly going a mile above the bar, and the defender just caught the ball with his hands. Would that be okay? Cos it wasn't going in? Stupid, bizarre logic.

Nori-

It was a pen.

1. Kimpembe's arm was away from his body. There's a reason you see players keep there arms close to their body when they get near the goal, because they know the alternative could lead to a penalty. He made a critical mistake.

2. If you watch the balls movement, it clearly changes direction after hitting his arm. His arm was used to obstruction a possible chance on goal.

3. Hahaha @ Di Maria

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He had time to put his body in that position which required his arm to be out. Don't do something that leaves a high chance of it striking an outstretched arm if it's not possible otherwise.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Noticed Smalling faced up to players with his arms behind his back
Yes, I got the impression that Smalling had the thought, "they're using VAR," in his head. Certainly I never shouted, "stop doing that," at him, last night.

the thing is, penalty decisions on VAR are *supposed* to not be slowed down for this very reason
That's not quite true - slow motion isn't supposed to be used to look at how hard a challenge is for example or in deciding if a handball was unavoidable (in the sense that the ball was too close to avoid), full speed is used for that. Slow motion can however used for factual decisions like "inside the area," "was that his hand," and indeed, "did he turn/move/make himself big," which directly relate to whether the handball was unavoidable.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
But why do you think it's harsh? That's what I don't understand? Harsh because it never would have been caught without VAR? Harsh because it was the end of the game? Harsh because the ball was going over the net? It may have happened so fast that it would be hard to catch in real time, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a blatant penalty. You can't jump, turn your back and stick your arms out and then say "it wasn't deliberate". I've heard people argue "it's impossible to jump like that and not stick your arm out". Ok...then don't jump like that :lol::lol::lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
When the camera cuts to Kimpembe at 1:35 while the ref is reviewing it, it looks like he knows.

Then he puts his head in his hands when it’s given. If you believe you’ve been robbed like that, you’re gonna go full on Drogba.

PSG as a whole have taken it much better than you’d expect. Buffon very different to last year!

Web of Bissaka

It was a pen.

It's a "dark football art/skill" imo, sort of -- to widen your block cover by flailing your arms and turning your whole body but you do so while acting as if you're like don't want the ball to hit your face, feigning innocence basically. Poor innocent acting when the ref viewed the VAR though and afterwards during the protest. Kimpembe knows what he's doing.

VAR is destroying this art and for the better.

It was a pen.

theREDMAN

By UEFA rules it was a pen because the player made himself bigger and then altered the path of the ball with his arm. It is cruel, it is harsh, but it was a pen. What I think is being lost in this is how Kimpembe jumped up, spun around with his back to the ball (which is weak defending btw), and made himself bigger. Also, he should have been sent off in the first match where he wouldn't have been able to score, nor would he have been available this match to hand us the game so at the end of the day, justice was served. PSG overlooked us, they "ole'd" us, and by the 30th minute last night Mbappe is doing backheels and Alves is pulling out tricks. Their arrogance cost them and all I can say is OLE IS AT THE FREAKIN WHEEL!

I'm still buzzing.

Kelly15

"However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

Obvious penalty. He flailed his arms all over the place. It doesn't have to be deliberate. His hands were in a unnatural position.

Shocked that their is any controversy on this. You cant have your arms flailing around like that. You have to be in control of your arms. All ways hated when defenders put their arms down beside their shins. And complained when a handball is awarded. Put your arms against your side or behind your back.

Dante

Average bang
There was nothing natural about his jump.

A natural jump is straight up and down.

An unnatural jump is spinning around.

If the ball hits your hand whilst you're doing something unnatural, it's a deliberate action.

If it's deliberate, it's a penalty.

peridigm

Not sure that's right. If that's true then the attacker can deliberately kick the ball at a defender's hand to buy a penalty.
It was Peter Walton. I just had a rewatch of one of the segments where he mentions they will take into consideration a player has a natural silhouette and that is what they will judge it on. Having trouble finding the more detailed video but it was BT Sport post match with Rio, knob head 1 and knob head 2.

Found this as well. Mentions part of the silhouette but also mentions goals scored from hand balls will not be awarded which last time I checked, thought was always the case.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47429316

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Pen for me. Owen Hargreaves arguing they need more 'football people' making the rules was hilarious considering all those 'football people' in the studio obviously hadn't bothered to learn the rules.

Oo0AahCantona

One of those under the letter of the law its a pen, but in practise they hardely ever get given and its a bit harsh.

JohnnyKills

When the camera cuts to Kimpembe at 1:35 while the ref is reviewing it, it looks like he knows.

Then he puts his head in his hands when it’s given. If you believe you’ve been robbed like that, you’re gonna go full on Drogba.

PSG as a whole have taken it much better than you’d expect. Buffon very different to last year!
Yeah that was a big tell for me too. The fact that he didn't make any show of protest was significant.

devil in me

Its just like when there's a free kick and soneone from the wall jumps up with their arms up and the ball hits it. Clear penalty all day long.

Nickthepip

All bias aside, that's never a pen in my view. I'd be livid if that decision knocked United out of a tournament.

The handball and offside laws need an overhaul, clarification and simplification for VAR to actually improve consistency.

The fact no one can agree after 3,000 replays shows the law needs simplifying.

Pennywise

He's looking at the ball until after Dalot hits it, then turns his back and lifts his arm up to try to block it.

It's handball and it's a penalty. It's pretty blatant actually.
Completely agree with this. He's actually looking at the ball the whole time and jumps and sticks his arm out to block it. His lack of complaint is most telling

gaucho_10

This shouldn't be debated. If you block a shot on goal or a pass inside the box with your arm out, it's a penalty. It's that simple.

cyberman

Notice how the ref deals with encroachment as well.
English refs really are terrible

Keefy18

Not for me it wasn't but fecked if I care.

If it was the other way round and we went out like that last night we'd be fuming no doubt.

Fully Fledged

It was a pen.

It's a "dark football art/skill" imo, sort of -- to widen your block cover by flailing your arms and turning your whole body but you do so while acting as if you're like don't want the ball to hit your face, feigning innocence basically. Poor innocent acting when the ref viewed the VAR though and afterwards during the protest. Kimpembe knows what he's doing.

It was a pen.
This. He knew what he was doing turning his arm towards the flight of the ball. Clear penalty.

Keefy18

It was a pen.

It was a pen.
Or you know you have to raise your arms out wide when jumping to gain leverage? Reminds of that clip of Duncan Ferguson when he was booked for having his arms out and mocked the ref by bouncing around like a pogo stick!

His technique was feckin daft and he shouldn't of been jumping and turning his back but it was ball to hand and not hand to ball. Dalot hit it with such pace he didn't get a chance for anything else but for it to hit his arm.

chillooout

Yes. Hand Extended from the body which blocked a cross/shot that you never know if would lead to a goal opportunity. Kimpembe could have easily done something different. Penalty.