Was it a pen?

Was it a penalty

• Total voters

OverratedOpinion

They just had a ref on BT Sport that explained that under the new rules it was. Regardless Kimpembe should have been clearly sent off before his goal in the first leg, the story of the tie is that for all their quality we had more character about us over the course of the tie.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The actual rules of handball have over time turned to myth and legend. No one knows the original tomes on which the sacred guidelines regarding handball were written.

Honestly, I'd say, never ever a pen. Elated that he gave it though. If I were a PSG fan (speaking of myths, do these creatures even exist?) Id be fuming though.
Important to remember that for all we cite the rules as written, the referees (and VAR) work off the guidelines issued by IFAB in terms of how the rules should be interpreted, guidelines that are open to change. As per the current interpretation it was a penalty and that's all that counts.

It was telling that the ref in the BT studio called it as a penalty straight away (despite the ex-footballers in studio saying it wasn't a penalty).

cyberman

His arms moved out as he made himself bigger. It was that action that made it a pen. If he was standing still it wasn't imo.

RORY65

My first reaction is that I don't care, what an amazing fecking night. However, the reality is I don't know anymore. I don't think it should be, the purpose of the rule was to stop players picking the ball up or punching it, I don't think it's aim should be to detect whether an arm is in a slightly unnatural position when you look at it from 10 different angles in slow motion.

SirAF

Ageist
It doesn’t matter one bit, but if the ref gets a chance to watch it again and again on a monitor? Yeah, then it’s a pen.

shahzy

It's a pen in this day and age of VAR. Don't people remember the world cup? It was always like this.
Do I like it? No. What is a player supposed to do?

However do I care? NO :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes.

If you allow your arm to freely dangle a fair distance away from your body, inside the penalty box, then you are asking for trouble.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Letter of the law... silhouette... arm in unnatural position... Peter fecking Walton...

on the other hand no it wasn't, it was incredibly harsh. However I couldn't give one solitary shit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Under current rules, yes. But the current rules are rubbish and we know it's not really a pen. But Kimpepe should have been sent off in the first leg so feck them.

BlackBen

Who cares? It’s about time we got justice for that red card Kimpembe didn’t get.

Canagel

of course yes. his arm deflected the ball away from the goal.

sparx99

The way I see it is if he had faced the ball and it hit like that then no penalty.

However, because he turned and was careless I think you have shown a disregard for where your body is and therefore a penalty is fair.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Pretty unanimous according to the informed and those whose opinion really matters, the refs, ex-refs and lawmakers. It doesn’t really matter what the laymen think. BT coverage is a travesty.

Rozski

Sounds like it was called correctly according to the rules so hard for anyone to complain but my honest feelings are that a situation like that isn’t really a penalty. Great pen by Rashy though to make it count!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Of course it shouldn't be. He didn't deliberately move his hand to block the ball, and he didn't have it out in an unnatural position. From what people are saying in here it sounds like it technically is a penalty now, in which case it's a stupid rule that should be changed.

However, it was the same player who should have been sent off in the first leg so I've got no sympathy.

Siorac

I don't think it was but I don't give a solitary feck.

With the injuries we had plus Pogba's suspension, they should have buried us. And yet we kept them mostly quiet once Bailly was off. They have only themselves to blame for not finishing this B team off.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
100% great fecking decision. You cannot jump with your hand extended like that and claim "it wasn't on purpose". Intent isn't THE only condition to award a pen.
The balls it took to make that decision, respect the ref

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Yes it's a pen under the current rules, but I don't think those rules are right.

If anyone saw what Ferdinand said after the game, I agree with that really. It is too harsh on defenders.

sam147

Have no idea what Ferdinand and co are smoking, it was a clear pen. Firstly, he should not turn his back. Secondly, his arm his pointed out because of his own stupid error. If that shot was going to goal (which it wasnt but thats irrelevant) he wouldve stopped it by being in an unnatural position. His own responsibility and its poetic he was the one who gave the penalty away, he shouldve been sent off in the first leg.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Of course it was. That fecker didn't even try to hide his arm, he knew exactly what he was doing and his arm wasn't even close to his torso. Legit peno and I was 99% sure the ref would award it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
100% great fecking decision. You cannot jump with your hand extended like that and claim "it wasn't on purpose". Intent isn't THE only condition to award a pen.
The balls it took to make that decision, respect the ref
It's actually near impossible not to but like other have said some refs whistle it and it's dumb.

Untd55

Under the rules it is, but I would be annoyed if it was given against us.

But honestly, who gives a crap.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Advantage created from the incident needs to be a critical component on hand ball offenses; this wasn’t a point blank kick, the PSG player had time to choose how he was going to attempt to block the shot. Would feel the same way if the teams were reversed.

Greck

The further the hand is from the body the more likely it's called. The decision is even more defensible when you factor in that it obstructed a freaking shot on target that could have been a goal. Less room for leniency when that happens

Mr Smith

As people have said, it actually is according to the letter of the law for the new rule. However, do we know if that new rule is in effect yet?

Also if that is the interpretation of the new rule, I think the rule is wrong. It makes life pretty much impossible for defenders, who really cant be expected to stop snapshots from hitting their hands 100% of the time.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not for me, arm was pointing down not up which I always find crucial in making the calls.

Still Man. United deserve that for defending incredibly well all night and all the players they were missing, easily one of the best away wins from an English team in europe in last decade.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm on the fence here. He definitely gained advantage by extending his hand

WensleyMU

When it happened I didn't even consider it might have been. I think Young just chanced it. But when he went to view it, I knew he was giving it.

As for whether it was or not, it shouldn't have been, but themselves the rules.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If that was given against UTD this place would be having a major meltdown. I had no dog in the race, but that being given left a shitty feeling.

bdecuc

Rules say it was it seems. About time we got a decision in a big big champions league game!!