Was it a penalty (part 2)?

Siorac

It wasn't a pen because of Monday. That's about it.

izec

It was a pen, his arms have no business being so high up there. He made himself big, textbook pen.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Should have been a penalty, and the radio silence from all in the media just seems to highlight that more for me.

Jev

I think it's a penalty but I can see some argument against it being one. It is from a very short distance, impossible to react to, and Romero's body position to me doesn't look unnatural. But still, when you deny a goal with your arm, as he may well have done, I think it's a penalty. Difference between blocking a random cross and blocking a goal-bound shot.

AFC NimbleThumb

Should have been a penalty, and the radio silence from all in the media just seems to highlight that more for me.
What? All the podcasters & ‘journalists’ haven’t rushed to twitter to talk about this? Shock horror.

Dan_F

I’m not bothered if they apply that to every situation, but the problem is there was a penalty given in the Brighton game for the same thing last week.

I also think we got away with one against Spurs for a trip, could have easily been a pen.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What? All the podcasters & ‘journalists’ haven’t rushed to twitter to talk about this? Shock horror.
Pretty sure the ref and VAR team will be promoted for next week's games as well :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t know why we’re all surprised. This was always going to happen after last week. And the refs wonder why they always get so much abuse… they’re absolutely awful!! Bring over some foreign refs.

The Kag

I think it's a penalty but I can see some argument against it being one. It is from a very short distance, impossible to react to, and Romero's body position to me doesn't look unnatural. But still, when you deny a goal with your arm, as he may well have done, I think it's a penalty. Difference between blocking a random cross and blocking a goal-bound shot.

Because he's about six inches from the ball when it's kicked.

The other penalty shout from this game was more surprisingly not given.
As you can see in the image taken from the video, Romero was clearly cognizant of the fact that Garnacho was most likely going to shoot from that position. How do we know this? He lunges in in an attempt to block said shot before Garnacho even touches the ball. As in, he was aware of the action that would most likely be taken by the attacker and he elected to lunge in with that sort of body position (with his arms outstretched to make his body bigger). More to the point, if it was somehow unreasonable for Romero to gauge the situation within that distance and time frame, how is it that Pedro Porro, who was arguably closer to Garnacho, managed to have the wherewithal to place his left arm behind his back? It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Also, this notion that it's seemingly impossible to lunge/jump laterally with both hands behind your back is absurd. I'm in my mid 30s, still lean, and would consider myself to be well above average athleticism wise (at least I used to be). That said, I'm woefully out of shape compared to my younger days due to years of inactivity. Despite that, I can easily do the aforementioned action with barely a wobble. Laterally, forward, landing on one leg off-balance, jumping with my knee outstretched. Even for someone in my state it's a walk in the park, let alone for a world class athlete!

Yes, a "natural" and "unnatural" body position is subjective to a point, but come on, this is reminiscent of a handball keeper here.

Last edited:

Jev

People keep making this point, but it flies in the face of what actually occurred. As you can see in the image taken from the video below, Romero was clearly cognizant of the fact that Garnacho was most likely going to shoot from that position. How do we know this? He lunges in in an attempt to block said shot before Garnacho even touches the ball. As in, he was aware of the action that would most likely be taken by the attacker and he elected to lunge in with that sort of body position (with his arms out). More to the point, if it was somehow unreasonable for Romero to gauge the situation within that distance and time frame, how is it that Pedro Porro, who was arguably closer to Garnacho, managed to have the wherewithal to place his left arm behind his back? It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Also, this notion that it's seemingly impossible to lunge/jump laterally with both hands behind your back is absurd. I'm in my mid 30s, still lean, and would consider myself to be well above average atheltisicm wise (at least I used to be). That said, I'm woefully out of shape compared to my younger days due to years of inactivity. Despite that, I can easily do the aforementioned action with barely a wobble. Laterally, forward, landing on one leg off-balance, jumping with my knee outstretched. Even for someone in my state it's a walk in the park, let alone for a world class athlete!
Again, I think it's a penalty. I also think you're applying way too much rationale to what is an instinctive split second decision.

Also, do you think jumping sideways with your arms behind your back is a more natural body position?

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Definitely a pen, and was surprised that it wasn't given. Same with the incident at the other end. Think the referees are trying to steer towards handing out fewer "easy" pens this season with consistency out the door as a result.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We’re 2 game weeks in and it’s already enough to show how incompetent and inconsistent the standard of refereeing is.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
That’s probably a penalty but what is with all the comments on the media being silent about it? Do you think every media outlet has an agenda

Litch

100% pen for me and as said, Monday definitely played a part in not giving it. I thought after Monday, we arent getting these decisions for a while....

CM

It was a stonewaller. I don't even mind that much because we got lucky last week but you just know this one won't get anything close to the same level of scrutiny and we'll still be seen as getting decisions in our favour.

Red Rash

I would love if VAR also gave the reason for either giving or not giving a decision. It would definitely help the fans to understand the rationale of the officials a bit more and also force the officials to be more accountable for their decision.

Dorris

That’s probably a penalty but what is with all the comments on the media being silent about it? Do you think every media outlet has an agenda
Take a look at the reaction to Wolves not getting a penalty last week and compare it to this. We had apologies, suspensions of referees, multiple media outlets running all week how Wolves were robbed. We’ve barely heard about this decision. It gets clicks that’s why, but it definitely subconsciously influences referees. We 100% get that penalty this week without the media furore of last weeks decision.

Red_Aaron

It's definitely a penalty

I don't understand this new VAR instruction where the referee can refuse to review it. If the var deems there enough doubt to recommend a second view why would the ref say no I'm happy I called it right first time. It flies in the face of the whole idea of having a video ref. We need to get away from this nonsense notion that the on field and video refs are somehow separate entities, they should be considered a single unit. As long as we continue to peddle this notion of the var 'overruling' a decision it will lead to moments like this where stubbornness leads to an incorrect decision

I'm loathe to invoke rugby in football discussions but their approach to video reviews are spot on - the referee accepts the video has the better view, tells them what incident to review and asks them to make the decision for them - that's how it should be

Red_Aaron

Take a look at the reaction to Wolves not getting a penalty last week and compare it to this. We had apologies, suspensions of referees, multiple media outlets running all week how Wolves were robbed. We’ve barely heard about this decision. It gets clicks that’s why, but it definitely subconsciously influences referees. We 100% get that penalty this week without the media furore of last weeks decision.
Just watching motd and the introduction to the wolves highlights included a few lines and a video clip about how they were denied a definate penalty at Old Trafford

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)

That doesn't wash with this one, it wasn't like he was just stood there when the ball was fired at him, he literally sprinted arms up with the full intention to block the ball, it's as stone wall as you get.

Gorse Hill Red

This is obviously a carry on from last week and we will suffer this for the rest of the season.
All refs will be terrified giving anything in favour of United now with the prospect of being suspended due to the trial my media.
Shocked at the pundits afterwards who casually waved it away, Keane included.

Bosws87

Clear penalty same as the handball in the wolves game.

Just getting silly now games worse with slow motion replays. Refs were getting more decisions accurate just on instinct.

It’s taking the fun out of the game for me and it’s hard not to feel cheated when the decisions are so random it’s just the luck of the day.

Don’t know if it’s a combination of where football is heading, the fact we are slaves to incompetent owners and the shambolic officiating but I’m getting closer every year to packing it all in.

acnumber9

Doesn’t change the fact his arms were away from his body. It’s a textbook penalty the way the rules have been applied for years and about a week ago.

MonkeysMagic

The pathetic media in this country is so biased the silence on this blatant penalty not being awarded is deafening. After a near diplomatic incident on the non-award last Monday, you could've bet your mortgage that we were hoing to be on the receiving end of poor officiating. Selecting Oliver to officiate was just the icing on the top!

AFC NimbleThumb

Short answer to the bolded part? Yes. These ‘journos’ spent the best part of a week [only cause we played on Monday] tweeting & podcasting about Onana in the Wolverhampton dying minutes but ignore a penalty not given in the first half when Spurs were quite frankly shite.

I’ve personally no issue with mistakes happening, I am however getting a tad bored of rival fans like yourself acting like the difference in coverage doesn’t exist. We’ve seen it in the space of a week ffs.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
100% but its in our favor so one will mention it. I genuinely hate how other clubs/media constantly walk all over us when it comes to applying pressure to the refereeing body.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What I find strange is that lots of defenders will put their hands behind their backs to stop penalties being given against them for similar reasons. Either they're wrong for doing that or the rules are just confusing.

The top reason why penalties should be given for this sort of thing is when you end up blocking a shot on target with your hands. The second should be if you stop a cross coming in where your team is heavily outnumbered in the box.

In both situations, you're gaining an advantage through foul play.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This is just nonsense.
  • He’s actually a reasonable distance away.
  • This is only ever a defence anyway when the player has no time to anticipate or react. He both anticipated and reacted to the shot.
  • He made himself bigger because he knew the player was about to shoot
  • His arms are nowhere near his body, in recent years defenders have trained to tuck them in or behind their back because of the handball rule update. His are both outstretched.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If you look at both players doing exactly the same move, it seems virtually impossible to keep your hands by your side while thrusting and falling. Both should NOT be a penalty.

That Chelsea defender last week on the other hand should have held his hands behind his back as most defenders do nowadays when standing upright. Denied a clear Liverpool goal with an unnatural position. That was the genuine penalty regardless of how close it was to the shot/header.

90 + 5min

We all know why it wasn't penalty. We knew this before this game and we know this before the season.

We have got 3 penalties denied in two games. Not a bad start.