Was it a penalty (part 2)?

cyberman

It's a blatant penalty. Yes, the distance is short, but that is only because the defender sprinted into the challenge and made himself as big as he possibly could. If he stood still trying to block with his body, it's a completely different situation. It's similar to a kick in the face. If the kick is at face height, we're talking a possible red card. If the player who gets the kick in the face ducks down to having his face 50 cms off the ground, then he's putting himself at risk and no free kick.

In my opinion, it's not only a penalty, but VAR should also be checking it for which colour the card should be. As I said, not only does he clearly block it with his hands, but he puts himself in that position and by all accounts looks to be stopping a goal because of it.
Yep, he’s only close to the ball because he’s trying to block the shot. His movement to block the ball came before the stills being shown so 100 percent a penalty

Sylar

It wasn't a pen because of Monday. That's about it.
This basically is the perfect first reply.

People are influenced, and impacted, in this case referees after what they saw the whole week prior.

The refs aren't corrupt or anything. They are just not good enough and that has been shown time and time again, even more so since VAR has been introduced.
They now have a crutch to not make decisions,and then the VAR has the copout like we saw in this game.

Media scrutiny has a massive impact too. If the media and pundits made a massive deal about city (for example) fouling and escaping yellows to break up play, this would be planted in the referees mind and would influence the next few games.

Rossa

Yep, he’s only close to the ball because he’s trying to block the shot. His movement to block the ball came before the stills being shown so 100 percent a penalty
Exactly. It's completely different if the defender is standing there in the first place and the ball hits his hand, but when the defender is rushing into a block, he's 100% to blame for being so close to the ball in the first place. Therefore, him being close to the ball and handballing is a moot point. I feckin hate VAR. In the past you could excuse such decisions in being in the heat of the moment and him being close to the ball. With VAR, they should be able to see that it is the defender moving towards the ball and thus creating that situation himself. Then again, they tend to use still images, ffs.

The tackle on Bruno - why the hell isn't that reviewed from VAR? Even the camera man did his job showing Porro, or who the hell it was, as rather guilty. Seeing as Bruno actually bled from the middle of his shin, I just don't understand there not at least being a review on it. It was far worse than Casemiro's send off last season.

Big Andy

Bloke
It was a stonewaller. I don't even mind that much because we got lucky last week but you just know this one won't get anything close to the same level of scrutiny and we'll still be seen as getting decisions in our favour.
It wasn't even mentioned at half time. It's fecking scandalous and corrupt. They would've given that at OT all day long. The fact it was at an away ground, with a crowd that seemed to be almost Newcastle/Liverpool like in their ability to claim for every little thing, the ref and VAR bottled it and it's 100% because of the media giving the decision from Monday almost a week worth of air time.

Siorac

This basically is the perfect first reply.

People are influenced, and impacted, in this case referees after what they saw the whole week prior.

The refs aren't corrupt or anything. They are just not good enough and that has been shown time and time again, even more so since VAR has been introduced.
They now have a crutch to not make decisions,and then the VAR has the copout like we saw in this game.

Media scrutiny has a massive impact too. If the media and pundits made a massive deal about city (for example) fouling and escaping yellows to break up play, this would be planted in the referees mind and would influence the next few games.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think it's some conspiracy, that they consciously decided to make up for the call in the Wolves game - but referees are human and as you say, they are absolutely influenced by factors outside the game itself.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It wasn't even mentioned at half time. It's fecking scandalous and corrupt. They would've given that at OT all day long. The fact it was at an away ground, with a crowd that seemed to be almost Newcastle/Liverpool like in their ability to claim for every little thing, the ref and VAR bottled it and it's 100% because of the media giving the decision from Monday almost a week worth of air time.
Yep. It was the final straw in my emotional involvement with the 'product' that is the PL. There is next to no integrity within the league anymore

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I stopped thinking about handball penalties. I think that even refs don't know rules about that.
But i am baffled by foul on Pellistri. Contact from behind on his leg. How the feck that wasn't a penalty?
Because the ball was out of play when the contact happened

Ludens the Red

I think we all expected something like that to happen judging by this thread. People called it last week and surprise surprise. The referees in this country are so predictable.

Quite funny how the reaction on here is all gloomy despite getting a dodgy decision going your way. The idea that the refs band together a few days after and decide that the best course of action is to give even shittier decisions to even it out is fecking nuts.
Out of curiosity do you still think this is so far fetched :smirk: after seeing what happened at Spurs yesterday.

Last edited:

Wilt

Both Wolves and Utd, should have been penalties ….no score draw.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Because he's about six inches from the ball when it's kicked.

The other penalty shout from this game was more surprisingly not given.
THat would be the longest 6 inches in the history of humankind.

justsomebloke

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but on Norwegian TV they did something they apparently can do, and contacted VAR for an explanation. What they got back was that the shot was deemed to be from too close a distance to warrant a call.

Which I don't think makes any sense, given that Romero had his arm sticking straight out, directly in the area any shot would need to pass through in order to hit goal.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but on Norwegian TV they did something they apparently can do, and contacted VAR for an explanation. What they got back was that the shot was deemed to be from too close a distance to warrant a call.

Which I don't think makes any sense, given that Romero had his arm sticking straight out, directly in the area any shot would need to pass through in order to hit goal.
It's bullshit at worst, overthinking it at best.

Back in the old days, in my country, they were doing entry-level seminars for aspiring refs who had just read the rulebook. On of the most frequent questions was whether the severity of the penalty as punishment should offer room for leniency on certain occasions or not. Case in point, a handball when it seems that the ball is probably going out or will be saved by the keeper.

You may find it childish, but this is exactly what a lot of professional refs still do. It's also the angle a lot of pundits base their narrative on. It wouldn't have gone in, so try to find a window in the rule book to say it was not a penalty.

Anyhow, the teachers in these seminars always gave the same answer:"If it's a pen, according to the rules, on the simplest of occasions you can think, it's a penalty in any given time".

With that in mind, picture this. Romero's handball occurs right on the goal line. Out of a 100 refs would there be a single one who would not blow his whistle?

Last edited:

Hughie77

It's not given because the Wolves one wasn't given, so they think maybe two wrongs make a right?.. Wolves wasn't a pen imo coming together by 2 Wolves players before Keeper came out, and that was a Hand ball all day long and we all knew it wasn't going to be given..

Utd were awarded I think with a about 3 other clubs the lowest amount of pens last season.?

With City and Arsenal I think top 2 ?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Anyone tell me why the feck this was not a pen :houllier: ?
What never ceases to amaze me is how VAR deliberately chooses the angles where you can't see feck all to guide a decision.

Look at how simple it is to establish "he made himself big" and I'm on a phone sliding my hand over it

cyberman

What never ceases to amaze me is how VAR deliberately chooses the angles where you can't see feck all to guide a decision.

Look at how simple it is to establish "he made himself big" and I'm on a phone sliding my hand over it

It’s paused at the wrong part imo. He was diving in to block the shot long before this with his arms making himself bigger

Crimson King

It's not given because the Wolves one wasn't given, so they think maybe two wrongs make a right?.. Wolves wasn't a pen imo coming together by 2 Wolves players before Keeper came out, and that was a Hand ball all day long and we all knew it wasn't going to be given..

Utd were awarded I think with a about 3 other clubs the lowest amount of pens last season.?

With City and Arsenal I think top 2 ?
We've been shafted for penalties ever since Klopp mouthed off and they altered the VAR rules again.