Was it a penalty?

Of course it was a penalty. It was soft and he made the most of the contact, but there was contact. It's debatable whether it was enough contact from the first defender, the touch from the second defender is clear.

Redo91

How in the world is it a dive? Even if you people don't think it's a penalty, there is clear contact from two defenders before he goes down. It certainly wasn't a "clear and obvious error" from the official. Honestly the bitterness levels are ridiculous.
Football isn’t non-contact. Just because there was contact doesn’t make it a penalty. Sterling was on the way down when the contact was made. Oh and there was a second ball on the pitch at the time…

TheLiverBird

Can't imagine why you've used that angle. How about this angle, with added comments from a former Premier League striker with no reason to be biased.

As for United, we literally got a penalty for Bruno fouling a Villa player at one point during lockdown.
This shows exactly why it was a penalty

anyone looking at this and still saying no…….then I suggest you call Broadmoor for a bed because your criminally insane

youmeletsfly

It was a dive, follow his feet and the other players and you'll see the moment where he lets go of his feet in order for the other two to sandwich him.(typical Sterling I would say)

As other people have said though, Denmark played jack shit last night but still, the game would've gone to penalties if the ref and the VAR guys wouldn't have been out of their god damn minds.

gazbradley

It was soft but seen them given, I’d have been annoyed if it was given against us but felt like one of them var wouldn’t over turn the on field decision either way. Ref gave a lot of soft free kicks as well so was pretty consistent at least but on the overall balance of the game it’s hard to argue we didn’t deserve it

arnie_ni

Was as much a penalty as their goal was a free kick - not at all.
Their goal was a fk. The issue was there could have been multiple fks out as well.

Then only reason that pull was given was because he fell to the ground, the English defenders stood their ground.

You don't win fks or pens without falling, which Sterling does as well.

Trequarista10

United have received half a dozen softer penalties last season.

It's a pen. A soft pen, but a pen.

If Sterling could have stayed on his feet (which isn't a given, regardless of the extent of the contact, he was squirming between two players at pace and losing balance) then people would be saying he got tripped and should have gone down. Going down when you're already going down isn't diving.

Blake's 7

If Sterling goes down like that at OT under pressure from Shaw and Maguire we'd all be screaming "cheat". I get that it's England and all that but it's very very soft. I'm old school and Sterling's post match interview said it all, he "felt a touch" so went down (personally I think he was already on the way down) he wasn't brought down - but that's the modern game. To balance it out, the award of their free kick was also exceptionally soft - swings and roundabouts?

dove

Going to be funny when Sterling wins a similar penalty against us and I can bet the same people who are in "100% penalty" camp now will be fuming :lol: Very minimal contact and even that was when he was already going down. But since UEFA clearly supports diving, I guess it's a clear cut pen then.

Widow

Football isn’t non-contact. Just because there was contact doesn’t make it a penalty. Sterling was on the way down when the contact was made. Oh and there was a second ball on the pitch at the time…
You don't have to stop play for a second ball being on the pitch, read the rules

the game would've gone to penalties if the ref and the VAR guys wouldn't have been out of their god damn minds.
How TF do you know what would have happened. England would have pushed and maybe scored 5. We just don't know

arnie_ni

You don't have to stop play for a second ball being on the pitch, read the rules

How TF do you know what would have happened. England would have pushed and maybe scored 5. We just don't know
England definitely would have scored I think.

There was only one team in it anyway

El Zoido

Soft pen but having looked again, there was contact. The Kane one was a definite penalty.

It’s a pen, pretty clear from this view. Neither of the Danish players get anywhere near the ball, and their actions - particularly Jensen’s - clearly impede the run. There’s contact from both players. It’s not an absolute stonewaller, but it was the right decision. The outrage really just goes to highlight how much people hate England, and little more.

ROFLUTION

Going to be funny when Sterling wins a similar penalty against us and I can bet the same people who are in "100% penalty" camp now will be fuming :lol: Very minimal contact and even that was when he was already going down. But since UEFA clearly supports diving, I guess it's a clear cut pen then.
:lol: The scenes. This will happen eventually (already has numerous times with his soft dives) and people who defend it will go into extreme new mind-gymnastics or plain hiding when it happens again for City.

Oh Ah Cantona

It may have been a sofitsh penalty but you could say the same as the foul that led to their goal.

Also the Danish defenders were clumsy, (that one reason why we paid a lot of money for Wan-Bisska, he has his limitations in some areas of his game but the timing of his tackles and his ability to take a ball cleanly without touching the opponent are the best in the world.

I initially thought the penalty was given for the contact with the Danish number 5's foot on Sterlings right foot. Not sure it was though, However there was contact on Sterlings right knee not his right foot. Then there was contact on sterling left hip.

Also there was contact a 1/2 second before on Sterling by the number 5 and sterling didn't go down. It was 2 clumsy challenges by their number 5.

You can also debate all day long if it was a penatly or not, or even debate it until next week, but im not sure its going to change much, the ref decided it was a penalty and England won the game 2-1.

You can also debate all day long if you would fall over with a similar tackle but there is no way of knowing for sure unless you test it out for yourself. Run at full speed then have someone make contact with your right knee and left hip and see if you loose balance or not. Post the video so we can watch.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
There was - I have seen a perfect still from it. The danish players knee hits Sterlings thigh - but in my opinion, not enough to give a penalty.
He is already falling down before that (with knee contact being minimal) and, as seen in those quote after the match, claims himself that wasn't the contact that brought him down. Logically, as he starts to fall before it.

Clear dive. It was a worldclass dive by Sterling, timed it superbly to make it tough for the ref
Just what I thought. If you are into dives and appreciate them (which no one clearly is) watching the fall, the timing, everything, you would stand and applaud that maneuver from Sterling.
Not surprised at all that referee has given it. The travesty with the decision is having VAR in the room, watching that on replay and not sending referee to check it.

ROFLUTION

It’s a pen, pretty clear from this view. Neither of the Danish players get anywhere near the ball, and their actions - particularly Jensen’s - clearly impede the run. There’s contact from both players. It’s not an absolute stonewaller, but it was the right decision. The outrage really just goes to highlight how much people hate England, and little more.
It's a contact sport mate, this is extremely soft contact. Borderline petting - if this is the standard (UEFA said it's not) then we'd see 10 penalties pr match.

Maybe a laser hit him. Even that would make more reason for a penalty.

Kopral Jono

Ref should be applauded, great decision
This. I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if the ref hadn't given the pen it would have been a bottle job. This penalty incident has to be the most non-controversial controversy in the history of tournament football.

KeanoMagicHat

There's a focus on the same replay all the time, but there is one from another angle in real-time where you can see he just falls over without any apparent contact, the contact if any coming when he has already fallen down. Not a penalty.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Never a penalty and I find it strange that football fans actually think any 'touch' inside the box warrants a penalty. He started going down before any touch happened (which is very crucial here) and was clearly looking for contact himself to make it look more realistic, there is nothing wrong with trying to block player's path and it happens all over the pitch.

ROFLUTION

Just what I thought. If you are into dives and appreciate them (which no one clearly is) watching the fall, the timing, everything, you would stand and applaud that maneuver from Sterling.
Not surprised at all that referee has given it. The travesty with the decision is having VAR in the room, watching that on replay and not sending referee to check it.
They don't even have to explain themselves. VAR should only work as a transparent system, but it's been anything but that at and it goes against the concept itself. Even NFL has it. Players however have to explain all sort of shit after a match.

Stevie Wonder was controlling the VAR room yesterday

Redo91

No but for consistency the referee should have since he stopped the game later on for the very same reason. Not a penalty regardless of the ball but just adds to it.

Widow

The travesty with the decision is having VAR in the room, watching that on replay and not sending referee to check it.
The remit of VAR means there has to be a clear error from the ref. The multiple debates at least show that it's not clear either way so they couldn't over turn

This. I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if the ref hadn't given the pen it would have been a bottle job. This penalty incident has to be the most non-controversial controversy in the history of tournament football.
I wasn't being sarcastic. Great shout by the ref

ROFLUTION

This is a better source - an actual forward who knows what contact like this does to a player in those situations and he's Irish so his biases can't be questioned.

An irish fella who says a hip-thrust and a slight touch is a penalty :lol: If even Ireland has gone this soft, then that's enough internet for me for today.

Spark

Hilarious how that big hench defender was rolling around on the ground from being “hit” in the face by Sterling earlier as well. Sterling being not tall enough to reach him.

Their freekick for the goal wasn’t a foul either. If Denmark had attacked like England, making runs into the area, they 100% would have gone down at the earliest opportunity.

Was it a pen? Yes, we’ve seen those given for United so many times. VAR ruled it was too, because clearly contact. Well played Denmark, good tournament. Take solace in the fact that Italy will likely batter England if we have a similar line up on Sunday.

Mike Smalling

Never a penalty for me. He is on his way down before any real contact is made. Sadly conning the ref has become a key skill in the sport, and Sterling does it quite well. A bit disappointed at how VAR was applied - I would think a decision of that magnitude was something the referee would want to take a look at. Even without the penalty, I don't think Denmark would have made in to the shootout. We were completely shattered and England were playing around us easily.

It will be interesting to bring this thread up during next season when similar penalties are given or not given, though.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can people please stop victimizing themselves just because people disagree with them? It gets exhausting. "Impeding the run", what is Jensen supposed to do here? Roll out the red carpet? Yes, he tries to disrupt Sterling here, that is his job as defender and he does so by bumping into the English lightly with his hip, while the latter already has no boots on the ground anymore. If we lay the bar for penalties that low, we end up rewarding half a dozen pens to each side in the future. Is this trend people want it to go? Football is a contact sport.

England deserved to advance as they were the better team, but it makes this call no less of a joke. No amount of shouting in your echo chamber and villifying other nationalities is going to change that. At least own it that you got lucky.