Was it a penalty?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m not convinced a decision where people have to come up with random outlier examples of the few times its been given before has a particularly strong argument for being an obvious pen…

cvb

Supports
City
Perhaps the difference is that the Arsenal player actually played the ball in that instance.
There is nothing in the laws of the game about this, hence Jon Moss’ post-match apology. It’s an offence clearly spelled out under Law 12 and so a clear and obvious error not to award a penalty.

Remember the geese

There is nothing in the laws of the game about this, hence Jon Moss’ post-match apology. It’s an offence clearly spelled out under Law 12 and so a clear and obvious error not to award a penalty.
It still doesn't alter the fact that keepers have been getting away with this kind of act since time began.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In theory it should be a penalty. But in reality they are never given, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. That being given as a penalty would be a massive exception to what we have seen week-in week-out for years.

If the referees ever decide to change how they rule in those situations then fair enough, but based on the precedent given it was the correct decision.

r1z3mu

100% penalty. Onana goes for the ball and misses completely. It's the same as missed tackle. If you didn't get a ball - it's a fault.

Remember the geese

That’s a fair point in a pre-VAR world.
I don't think that VAR has massively impacted how incidents like these are viewed. You'll get the exceptions such as the Ederson incident, but generally, I doubt these are given a second thought half of the time. Not saying that it's right, it's just football folklore.

El Zoido

From last season.

Same as today, the ball has gone by the time the goalkeeper is there, so the outcome is the exact same whether the keeper is there or not there. A penalty should be given when the player action affects the outcome. Eg. Tripping a player in the box to prevent them taking a shot. The play today would’ve been the exact same had Onana been stood in the stands in row Z because he only got there after the ball had long gone. Him being there affected nothing in terms of how the situation played out so I don’t see why it should be a penalty. If he gets there before and prevents him from making the header, then yes it would be.

cvb

Supports
City
Same as today, the ball has gone by the time the goalkeeper is there, so the outcome is the exact same whether the keeper is there or not there. A penalty should be given when the player action affects the outcome. Eg. Tripping a player in the box to prevent them taking a shot. The play today would’ve been the exact same had Onana been stood in the stands in row Z because he only got there after the ball had long gone. Him being there affected nothing in terms of how the situation played out so I don’t see why it should be a penalty. If he gets there before and prevents him from making the header, then yes it would be.
They’re both penalties. Under the law, no player can charge into an opponent like that without committing a foul. There’s more of an argument to be made for a non-penalty if both attacker and goalkeeper are charging into the same space and collide, but both Sa and Onana charge into the space in which a player has already made their jump. It is a careless, bordering on reckless foul, and a penalty.

Unless the ball is out of play or in the net when the contact occurs, the outcome is irrelevant to it being an offence.

Last edited:

justboy68

The key that saved Onana was that the ball had already gone, in which case we see it happen all the time that it’s not given. If he clattered him first it would have definitely been a pen. Whether it should be a pen or not is a different matter.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wasn't surprised when it wasn't given, but only because it was quite a random way to foul someone and our officials tend to get stuff like that wrong or just fall on whatever side means not having to actually make a decision about it.

Similar to when players get wiped out after they've had a shot and for some reason that is perfectly ok.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
100% it's a penalty in the rules of the game, 99.9% of the time it's not a penalty if it's a goalkeeper. I have sympathy for Wolves, but keepers have always and seemingly will always be allowed to randomly clean out players if they're attempting to punch the ball.

Marcus

No penalty. He did try to go for the ball. When people are all in the air, what degree of control do you have? I thought it might have been in real-time. But looking at the replay. No.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Keepers have to be able to come and punch/flap at a cross. The same way if an attacker heads a ball from a corner, and is headbutted by a defender challenging the same ball it would never be a foul. I don't think Onana was excessively aggresive, he in no way hurt the attacker, wasn't a foul for me.

CloneMC16

100%. If an outfield player does that, it's a pen all day. Keeper has been given leeway.

If we didn't get that pen in the same circumstances as Wolves, this place would be pissed.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
While I understand this is the professional thing to do from Moss, apologies of this sort are also meaningless and would infuriate me as a manager. No amount of "we were wrong" or "i'm sorry"s will put the ball on the spot and give a team a chance to equalize. Imagine they get relegated on GD or by 1 point.

Olecurls99

I don't know why there's such a big deal being made about this. Players collide when going for aerial balls all the time. Why is this any different?

Olecurls99

Keepers have to be able to come and punch/flap at a cross. The same way if an attacker heads a ball from a corner, and is headbutted by a defender challenging the same ball it would never be a foul. I don't think Onana was excessively aggresive, he in no way hurt the attacker, wasn't a foul for me.
Bingo

Blood Mage

Who gives a flying feck? This shouldn't overshadow our shambolic performance which is what we really should be talking about. We had some horrendous calls against us last season so it's nice to see one go in our favour, feels like it's been a while.

Abraxas

Probably not unless they're going to consistently change how they view keepers challenging within the box. It has been generally understood that aerially keepers get a favourable view from refs. That is nothing new whatsoever.

Should it be a foul? Probably, he flapped at it, barged into someone and cleaned them out so by rights he probably deserves to be punished as he's the one that comes flying in, not the attacker. So if you want to see more precision from keepers, and more goals because that type of play isn't allowed, then maybe it should be looked at. Until then I'm not sure it's worth the overblown response.

RedCurry

The key that saved Onana was that the ball had already gone, in which case we see it happen all the time that it’s not given. If he clattered him first it would have definitely been a pen. Whether it should be a pen or not is a different matter.
This, and the fact that the incident occurred on borderline of 6-yard box. In my opinion, had Onana been outside by a foot or so more, ref would have been more inclined to give the pen.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
For me that situation should be a penalty. He has basically come out and clattered the other player without getting anywhere near the ball. Put that same situation anywhere else and its a clear foul, but keepers are a protected breed.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They managed to get to day 3 before rolling out the apology statement :p
Refs should have the power to themselves ask for a review if it's a penalty. He clearly wasn't sure in real time.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
For me that situation should be a penalty. He has basically come out and clattered the other player without getting anywhere near the ball. Put that same situation anywhere else and its a clear foul, but keepers are a protected breed.
Similar situation in the Spurs game not given when Vicario cleaned up a Brentford player after he had taken on the shot. Seems to be for keepers if the player gets his shot off then is taken out that is fine. It's like keepers have their own set of rules.

caid

Yup, that was my thought.
Maybe they forgot United's goalkeeper is allowed challenge for stuff in the air.

AshamanKingpin

Supports
Manchester City
One was given against Ederson at the Emirates last season.
This. I’ve been trying to recall the opposing team but now remember it clearly and a penalty was given. Thanks for reminding me.

fallengt

No.
- Onana was eyeing for the ball not the player, at all time
- Ball was already played by a wolves player
- The other player got hit by hit teammate and Onana. He wasn't in scoring position.
- Inside the box, Goalie are always over protected unless they've changed the rule.

Most refs wouldn't give penalty so it wasn't an "clear & obvious error"

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I didn't check the Antony incident, was Onana incident any different than Sa running into Antony?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
In theory it should be a penalty. But in reality they are never given, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. That being given as a penalty would be a massive exception to what we have seen week-in week-out for years.

If the referees ever decide to change how they rule in those situations then fair enough, but based on the precedent given it was the correct decision.
I agree. Generally it might be a pen but since it happens so often and to protect the GK, they are hardly given

roonster09

Scout
The only difference was they were not in the air, and the goalkeeper clattered the player who actually played the ball.
Yeah, I watched full game to check the incident, 53rd min Sa clatters into Antony and that should be penalty if Onana's is one.

Shame there was no cry about it.

roonster09

Scout
Stonewall pen ….if that had been up the other end we’d have all been screaming penalty 100%
Happened in this very same game to Antony, didn't see any cries about it.

Ace of Spades

Happened in this very same game to Antony, didn't see any cries about it.
This is what people conveniently ignore, we had a similar situation happen in the very same match and nobody batted an eye, because such incidents happen all the time and are rarely given.

I have seen keepers punching or kicking players to try to get the ball, and nobody cares, but because our keeper did it, all of a sudden it is a problem.

Our own fans are some of the biggest idiots around, did they not watch the game where it happened to Antony ??

Joel Miller

It’s as clear a penalty as you’re ever likely to see, anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves. That being said I’ve had a right good laugh at all the outrage over it

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: It’s been so long since we had a keeper come off his line you lot have forgotten that keepers do this on a regular basis in the league and nothing ever happens.

Came, missed the ball, collided with a couple of players who made the most of it.

If that’s a penalty then football is no longer a contact sport. Never.

Devil You Know

Yes.

But...

After a decade of De Gea, I loved seeing our goalkeeper clean out the opposition striker on a cross. Penalty or not, I want to see more of that from Onana. I'll forgive him.

Strelok

The only difference was they were not in the air, and the goalkeeper clattered the player who actually played the ball.
Spot on. And it's even outside of the 6 yards box. That should be a pen way more than the Onana one. But nobody gave a tiny feck.