Was Lindelofs foul for Tuanzebe’s goal the correct decision?

diarm

Damn, was hoping for more of the insane takes saying it wasn’t a foul from the match thread. Was way more interesting than the actual game.

People found their glasses after the final whistle it seems.
Nah I've watched it back several times and I still reckon it's not a foul.

If it was a keeper or a centre back clattering through a striker I guarantee it wouldn't have been a pen.

Mings smashed Pogba in the face with an elbow 4 feet away from the ball in the box a few weeks ago and neither the ref, nor VAR saw anything wrong with it.

You all want a game where people get penalised for jumping too high. Mental.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Nearly as bad as Schumacher on Battiston
Nah that one was deliberate and much, much worse imo. Lindelöf had no idea what he was doing, he was probably just as surprised as the rest of us that he could jump that high.

Ekeke

If it was a keeper or a centre back clattering through a striker I guarantee it wouldn't have been a pen.

Mings smashed Pogba in the face with an elbow 4 feet away from the ball in the box a few weeks ago and neither the ref, nor VAR saw anything wrong with it.
:houllier:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dunno, it's a weird one. I guess it's a foul as the ball was a bit too high. But in the hypothetical scenario that the ball is a bit lower and Lindelof can actually get his head on it, then it's never a foul even if the defender gets battered knee to face like that. He basically got lucky that it dipped just past him and not right before, as he was late to react/sleeping/not paying attention and so he got battered. As it was though I guess it's just an end result of Lindelof jumping and kneeing someone in the face when the ball was way over him.

Møllemanden

Ronaldo would have been proud of that leap. Feel sorry for Axel though. It was a very good header.

diarm

I dunno, it's a weird one. I guess it's a foul as the ball was a bit too high. But in the hypothetical scenario that the ball is a bit lower and Lindelof can actually get his head on it, then it's never a foul even if the defender gets battered knee to face like that. He basically got lucky that it dipped just past him and not right before, as he was late to react/sleeping/not paying attention and so he got battered. As it was though I guess it's just an end result of Lindelof jumping and kneeing someone in the face when the ball was way over him.
Who's to say Lindelof wouldn't have got his head on it had the defender not got in the way?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The question should instead be "if lindelof got to the ball first and scored, would it still be a foul?"

As it stands its a foul because he didn't get the ball.

AgentSmith

You all want a game where people get penalised for jumping too high. Mental.
Lindelof kneed the defender in the face without getting anywhere near the ball.

You can keep making that straw man of an argument that people who think that constitutes a foul somehow want ‘a game where people get penalised for jumping too high’ if you want but that doesn’t change that fact.

There’s no issue with Lindelof or his jump. It’s when his knee smashes into the defenders face that it becomes a problem.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The question should instead be "if lindelof got to the ball first and scored, would it still be a foul?"

As it stands its a foul because he didn't get the ball.
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at. Generally for aerial duels it's weird to say that the difference in a foul and not a foul is whether a player reaches the ball or not. If he actually gets to the ball and the defender gets kneed in the face still, then tough luck, you weren't paying attention. Because the ball was a foot too high, people are saying he could've got sent off? Its weird.

diarm

He only got that high because he had a clear running start...you don't have that as a defender
I was only saying at the weekend that we should get Maguire running and attacking defensive corners from the edge of the box just like he does attacking ones.

He'd win every ball and head it sideways.

diarm

Lindelof kneed the defender in the face without getting anywhere near the ball.
But he did get near the ball. He's around 12 feet into the air.

Perhaps if the defender wasn't there he would've reached it.

Ekeke

Who's to say Lindelof wouldn't have got his head on it had the defender not got in the way?
Everyone who watched the match. Lindelof didnt get there because he didnt get high enough. Maybe he could have leapt onto the defender's face if he jumped earlier and that would have got him there

The Original

You are simultaneously implying that the ball was close enough to the defender that he was only "lucky it dipped just past him", while conceding that Lindelof who was almost twice his height high in the air was way under the ball.

That's called mental gymnastics sir.

Ole'sattheWheel

It would've been fine if the other guy challenged for it tbh. But he didn't. He just stood looking at the corner taker so it was a foul from lindelof.
If I'm lindelof I expect some sort of challenge in the box on a corner so I would at least jump for that

Yes a foul but the stupidity is on the sociedad player imo. Lack of awareness could have got himself killed

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That's where the ball was when Lindelof was descending onto the defender's head. The only way he was playing that ball is if he bounced off the defender Super Mario style.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's made of pillows and should be refereed like it, no foul. I think what was more criminal is that perverted pube moe that he has grown so therefore anything he does should automatically be deemed a foul. No goal.

bondsname

Never a foul. If I would lay down on my stomach face down on the pitch and just lie there, I am bound to be ran over by someone.

the defender just stood there totally still during a corner? Except a knee in the face then

Kyonn

Anyone else remember Nani's red against Real? This was worse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You should be allowed to throw the occasional massively dangerous knee in the face in, if it doesn't affect the action :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Never a foul. If I would lay down on my stomach face down on the pitch and just lie there, I am bound to be ran over by someone.

the defender just stood there totally still during a corner? Except a knee in the face then
If the ball is flying so high over your head that you have zero chance of reaching it then you're not obliged to jump in the air just to justify someone else's miles-away flying knee attempt at winning the ball.

redrobed

Honestly, I guess it wasn’t ideal from Lindelof but if the ref didn’t disallow it for that he’d have found something else to disallow it for because we’re Utd. End of the day his eyes were on the ball. Sometimes it’s a foul, sometimes it’s not.

pablo__p

which would be a foul against you

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone else remember Nani's red against Real? This was worse.
This was actually reckless. A running, out of control knee.

Nani just waved his foot in the air to try and control the ball. Wouldn't even have been a booking in England.

The Original

So you think everyone in the box must jump at the same time like synchronised swimmers regardless of where the ball is?

Ekeke

This was actually reckless. A running, out of control knee.

Nani just waved his foot in the air to try and control the ball. Wouldn't even have been a booking in England.
Exactly. Nani was hard done by, he controlled the ball the opponent stooped a bit to try and head the ball and there was a bit of contact. This was much more dangerous and he didnt get the ball

diarm

The ball going about a yard over his head probably
The ball went less than a yard over his head after the collision.

Forgive the bad screenshot because I'm on my phone but there wasn't a huge amount in it.