Was Lindelofs foul for Tuanzebe’s goal the correct decision?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It would've been fine if the other guy challenged for it tbh. But he didn't. He just stood looking at the corner taker so it was a foul from lindelof.
If I'm lindelof I expect some sort of challenge in the box on a corner so I would at least jump for that

Yes a foul but the stupidity is on the sociedad player imo. Lack of awareness could have got himself killed
Why was he stupid? He knew he was never reaching that ball so why bother jumping and unbalancing himself when he can spin around and try win a second ball?

If we acknowledge Lindelöfs right to challenge for the header, we should also acknowledge the Sociedads defenders right to not challenge for a ball he's never reaching.

Ole'sattheWheel

There was a sociedad chance a few minutes later actually in our box. Lindelof and one of their attackers challenged for a cross aggressively and Victor headed it out for a corner.

If he'd have just stood there and looked at the guy crossing it til the ball went over his head, then decided to turn round he'd have been absolutely clattered in the face by the opposition attackers hip-knee-thigh area aswell. Which would have been stupid by him.
Track the runners and don't ball watch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly. Nani was hard done by, he controlled the ball the opponent stooped a bit to try and head the ball and there was a bit of contact. This was much more dangerous and he didnt get the ball
It was certainly one of those real shock red cards.

It was upsetting seeing Fergie going mad over it. We soon found out why, that he it was his last chance to win the cup, standing down at the end of the season.

Redlyn

Yeah it's a foul as he clattered into him. Unlucky for Tuanzebe, the ball would have reached him in any case.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's baffling people think it isn't a foul. Yes, it's a little unfortunate; if the defender hadn't been lost in his own thoughts then he would've jumped and not much would've been made of it. But as it happens, he didn't and instead he Sagated in the face.

diarm

That's where the ball was when Lindelof was descending onto the defender's head. The only way he was playing that ball is if he bounced off the defender Super Mario style.
That was well before it reached him. My screenshot shows the height of the ball just after it's past Lindelof and well after the collision with the defender.

Nick7

It's baffling people think it isn't a foul. Yes, it's a little unfortunate; if the defender hadn't been lost in his own thoughts then he would've jumped and not much would've been made of it. But as it happens, he didn't and instead he Sagated in the face.
Why would the defender jump for it? It was miles above his head. He wasn’t lost in his thoughts, he was following the trajectory of the ball.

Ekeke

Imagine a forum where there are some posters arguing that heading should be banned because of how dangerous concussions are, while other posters think a jumping knee to the face isn't even a foul

Dj Law

He´s just making an honest effort to reach the ball. The defender is passive. No foul in my book.

Ole'sattheWheel

Why was he stupid? He knew he was never reaching that ball so why bother jumping and unbalancing himself when he can spin around and try win a second ball?

If we acknowledge Lindelöfs right to challenge for the header, we should also acknowledge the Sociedads defenders right to not challenge for a ball he's never reaching.
People challenge for balls they aren't gonna get all the time on corners for this exact reason.
This particular one looked bad and like I said it was a foul from lindelof, especially fecking his knees like that.

But you've gotta track the runners on corners or you'll get flattened

ivaldo

Why would the defender jump for it? It was miles above his head. He wasn’t lost in his thoughts, he was following the trajectory of the ball.
He wasn't even watching the ball.

Brophs

The One and Only
People challenge for balls they aren't gonna get all the time on corners for this exact reason.
This particular one looked bad and like I said it was a foul from lindelof, especially fecking his knees like that.

Not usually WWF style, though.

ivaldo

The sharp turn of his head indicates he most definitely wasn't following the trajectory of the ball.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think the giant leap comes from Lindelof having read or heard he's not aggressive enough as a defender. Luckily, the defender did not suffer injury. This is not to say it was anything but an accident.

ivaldo

Yes he was. That’s why he turns in time with the ball.
Unless the ball suddenly accelerated towards the end of the box, no he fecking wasn't :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That was well before it reached him. My screenshot shows the height of the ball just after it's past Lindelof and well after the collision with the defender.
Well yes, if we ignore the flying knee to the defender's head before the ball arrived, imagine that Lindelof was jumping where the ball was when it was past him and imagine he had jumped higher than he actually did then he might have got to it.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

But he doesn't have a runner to track, he's making the front zone and he quite rightly assess he's not going to reach it. Some players would jump and miss it and then not be able to contribute if the ball falls behind them... He's doing the opposite.

The incident is weird because Lindelöf has a free run at the ball (which basically never happens) and so can jump like that... If he was being marked and tracked then he'd have someone to put off his run /hinder it in some way which would have lessened his jump.

El Zoido

It’s a foul but it wasn’t as bad as people are making out. He’s jumped for a header, of course the player rooted to the spot making no effort for it is going to get cleaned out. It’s not much different to Harry Kane backing in to defenders while they jump for the ball and topple over him. I say Lindelof one is a foul because he’s nowhere near the ball.

arthurka

Well foul clear. Lindelöf bad in the air not to at all he looked like Jordan and Jackie Chan all rolled into one.

The Original

What, to avoid people clattering into you for no reason?

Just look at that screenshot. How many players do you see airborne? Why are they not avoiding the supposedly inevitable clattering?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
And his face is facing us?
Yeah (well facing Lindelöfs knee! )

Ultimately its impossible to know what he was looking at as we're not him... But I'd give him the benefit of the doubt he was following the ball.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No he doesn’t. Watch the full video in the match thread.
Lindelof penalised because some shit defender is away with the fairies. If that was Madrid they’d be given 3 goals.