Was Moyes really our first choice to replace Ferguson?

Sereques

Yes, he was the chosen one. I see no other explanation as to why we gave him a SIX year contract.
We gave him a six year contract because we are trying to prove to the world that we support our manager and we believe in stability even though the manager was untested. Stupid sentiments. He should have been given a 2 year contract with an option of 3rd. If he prove himself, then a 6 years contract.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We gave him a six year contract because we are trying to prove to the world that we support our manager and we believe in stability even though the manager was untested.
I think it had a clause that he could be sacked if he failed to qualify for the Champions League. And 48 hours after it became mathematically impossible to do so, he was.

legball

It was a stupid decision, chosen one or not, it showed what many of us feared [United not being well run as many claim]. Ferguson knew he was retiring and so, the club had ample time to prepare, and what's this BS about managers not being available? Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho were available, either the club overrated their appeal, they simply didn't have any kind of plan in place or the Glazers just wanted to continue their "success on the cheap" model, it was the final piece of a series of poor transfers/recruitments that culminated in the shit we saw last season. It was a mistake we didn't have to make, but like many feared, we still made it, thank God [or whatever you believe in] we have money. It's remarkable what happened that summer.

Oneunited26

I am simply saying that my respect for his opinion of what is best for the club is far greater than my desire for Mourinho to be the manager.

Sir Bobby made his decision based on his beliefs and principles. We should be grateful to have such a man at the club.
That's what bankrupts buisness models, and he cost United a fortune. That is why guys like Charlton should not be on the board

Americano

Make America Great Again!
@Sarni @mu77 @SonnyTheHaloPro @Oneunited26

I despise Moyes and he was clearly the wrong choice. I'm not trying to defend his appointment at all - it was a mistake. I also do not buy into the Moyes image as a "good man" at all, I think he is a deceptive charlatan with a great PR team. Some people bought into that to their great disappointment.

I am only defending Charlton's opposition to Mourinho. We should respect his input. The club should have been able to find another top candidate with the desired character and demeanor. This is not based on romance - character matters, even in practical/financial terms to the marketability of the club.

I also have a major problem with everyone disowning the Moyes decision. SOMEBODY wanted him at the club, maybe somebody from Scotland?

mu77

@Sarni @mu77 @SonnyTheHaloPro @Oneunited26

I despise Moyes and he was clearly the wrong choice. I'm not trying to defend his appointment at all - it was a mistake. I also do not buy into the Moyes image as a "good man" at all, I think he is a deceptive charlatan with a great PR team. Some people bought into that to their great disappointment.

I am only defending Charlton's opposition to Mourinho. We should respect his input. The club should have been able to find another top candidate with the desired character and demeanor. This is not based on romance - character matters, even in practical/financial terms to the marketability of the club.

I also have a major problem with everyone disowning the Moyes decision. SOMEBODY wanted him at the club, maybe somebody from Scotland?

you thinking fletcher?

Blue always red

Fergie rolled up at his house and told him he was going to be the next Man Utd manager lol
I loved the interview about this. Moyes said when Fergie rocked up he was fully expecting him to say he was taking some of his players. No ifs are buts, just "coming to take my players".

nick2004

SAF picked him, don't blame anyone else.

At that point SAF was the unquestionable boss in the club. Nobody could even imagine going against SAF's will.

He picked Moyes because he was a friend of his family, Moyes' father gave him a job when he was young, he was Scottish, he would let them direct from the sidelines, and he would never threaten SAF's records (like Mourinho could do).

It was SAF's decision.

Dominos

The speed at which Moyes was hired showed he was the first choice. If others were interviewed, it would have taken longer. Moyes was hired because he's Scottish and he came from an area where people "supposedly" work hard and we paid the price for that stupid logic.
Club knew Fergie was retiring in December, they could have - and appear to have - approached several managers before his retirement was announced. There were no interviews, Moyes was not interviewed, he was just handed the job.

Amir

Club knew Fergie was retiring in December, they could have - and appear to have - approached several managers before his retirement was announced. There were no interviews, Moyes was not interviewed, he was just handed the job.
I don't see how you can approach the likes of Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, and then move on to... Moyes. Surely we should have been looking at certain characteristics aside from 'being a manager at the top of the game', and those three are different from each other. And even if that was a major criterion, maybe THE criterion, how could we then go for Moyes?

No, I think it was all about Fergie being the man with the decision and that was his choice.

Dominos

I don't see how you can approach the likes of Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, and then move on to... Moyes. Surely we should have been looking at certain characteristics aside from 'being a manager at the top of the game', and those three are different from each other. And even if that was a major criterion, maybe THE criterion, how could we then go for Moyes?

No, I think it was all about Fergie being the man with the decision and that was his choice.
A lot of different qualities are valued but not any manager has all the qualities the club was looking for. No doubt being British and being likely to stay for a long time (stability) were positives in the clubs eyes but not enough to justify picking Moyes over a guarantee of trophies that Mourinho would bring. However once the trophy-laden managers rule themselves out of the running, the club has to look further afield.

I'm interested to hear what people think of the evidence in the OP. For example the reports in France of Ferguson phoning Ancelotti personally - then backed up by Ancelotti's current boss Perez confirming this in an interview a year later. Are we entitled to dismiss Perez as a complete liar in this instance and on what basis?

James Redburn

Staggered
When news of Moyes appointment was announced for a split second the noise of jaws hitting the floor echoed all the way from Goodison to Old Trafford and about every news outlet in the land. Only the fact it was by royal edict (SAF) prevented a huge shout of WTF? I thought it telling he gave a rallying call for the new man before he left OT.

Similarly the subsequent justifications by every pet journo and media sycophant was Pravda revisited even my club (Everton) got in on the act allowing Moyes to flit betwixt the 2 clubs and giving him a farewell party at GP.

SAF was a great man but Mourinho could have and should have been had - sheer madness.

Amir

I'm interested to hear what people think of the evidence in the OP. For example the reports in France of Ferguson phoning Ancelotti personally - then backed up by Ancelotti's current boss Perez confirming this in an interview a year later. Are we entitled to dismiss Perez as a complete liar in this instance and on what basis?
Who knows. On the opposite side, you've got that book saying how Mourinho cried when he didn't get the job...

By the time Fergie decided to retire, Guardiola already had an agreement with Bayern. Ancelotti choosing Real over United wouldn't have been a shock. But I don't believe Mourinho refused us. So I'm struggling to believe we shopped around for a top manager, everyone said no, and we ended up settling for Moyes, who is so far removed from those three.

Dominos

Who knows. On the opposite side, you've got that book saying how Mourinho cried when he didn't get the job...

By the time Fergie decided to retire, Guardiola already had an agreement with Bayern. Ancelotti choosing Real over United wouldn't have been a shock. But I don't believe Mourinho refused us. So I'm struggling to believe we shopped around for a top manager, everyone said no, and we ended up settling for Moyes, who is so far removed from those three.
It is a strange one.

Who do you think the club would have looked at if the big 3 were unattainable? Klopp was the only other hot name at the time. Truth be told when Fergie's successor was discussed on here there was very little discussion of any names that weren't Mourinho, Pep and (due to the media insistence he was in the running) Moyes. Remember plenty of people turning their nose up at Ancelotti, the same would've been done to the likes of LVG, Pellegrini if they even entered in the discussion (they never did).

Amir

It is a strange one.

Who do you think the club would have looked at if the big 3 were unattainable? Klopp was the only other hot name at the time. Truth be told when Fergie's successor was discussed on here there was very little discussion of any names that weren't Mourinho, Pep and (due to the media insistence he was in the running) Moyes. Remember plenty of people turning their nose up at Ancelotti, the same would've been done to the likes of LVG, Pellegrini if they even entered in the discussion (they never did).
I'm not sure, to be honest, it was hard to look past the big names, but this is why we are supposed to be a football club and have the ability to identify the right people. Going from Pep or Jose to Moyes seems to be quite close minded. I'm not saying we should have gone to Japan like Arsenal with Wenger, but if you're looking for young or youngish managers who have shown an ability then options were there. But then, maybe Moyes seemed like a safer pair of hands than, say, De Boer or Rudi Garcia.

But then, I still think it was almost going to be Moyes.

SalfordRed1960

I'm not sure, to be honest, it was hard to look past the big names, but this is why we are supposed to be a football club and have the ability to identify the right people. Going from Pep or Jose to Moyes seems to be quite close minded. I'm not saying we should have gone to Japan like Arsenal with Wenger, but if you're looking for young or youngish managers who have shown an ability then options were there. But then, maybe Moyes seemed like a safer pair of hands than, say, De Boer or Rudi Garcia.

But then, I still think it was almost going to be Moyes.
Personally I think fat Sam would of done a better job.

As with most on here I find it hard to believe United looked outside of the UK. You can't consider the likes of Ancellotti, Jose and Pep and then end up with Moyes. There would have been at least 10 tier 2 European managers that you would approach before Moyes.

So until proven otherwise Fergie gets the blame. I look forward to the new edition book.

stevoc

I personally think Moyes was first choice for Ferguson and Charlton, others eg. Gill may have wanted someone else. I can believe that Ferguson or United may have had discussions with Ancelotti, Guardiola or even Mourinho but how serious they were we will never know.

It could have also been a case of the club just going through a process of due diligence before coming back to their original choice which i believe for some unfathomable reason was David 'Community Shield' Moyes.

It's much more plausible that SAF/SBC/Club just got caught up in a romantic fantasy where Moyes would become another Ferguson and made an almighty feck up of a decision than the alternative where you approach the world's 3 best coaches and when they say no you appoint the world's 53rd best coach in Moyes instead, that shit just doesn't make sense to me.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Moyes was hand picked by fergie, first choice. It was well known for years, best of buds at all the premier league functions. Similar backgrounds, but in the end like chalk and cheese

predator

Youth NITK
I think all the managers we approached were either tied down or simply didn't want to manage us over another approaching club. Moyes was like a panic buy. The board probably thought they'd take on Moyes (a solid Pl manager) until the likes of Pep, Ancelotti, Mourinho became available. I think Jose wanted to but had extreme difficult being ex Chelsea and wanting the London life.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
The club believed too much into it's own bollix! "Oh the United way"....Define the United way?!

I'm just grateful the club saw their error and have gone about fixing it before we ended up like Liverpool.

I'll never forget it....I fell ill at work, came home and as soon as I came in the door, he was announced as manager..My father, who saw the busby babes, the 68 final, the relegation in 74 etc was sat beside me....

My exact words? "Oh good God, we are f**ked!".....He said nothing.
Straight after the Swansea game at the start of the season, my auld lad said, "We're f**ked"

He could see through Moyes after one game

In my lifetime, my first match was the 5-0 against City in 94, Moyes was the worst thing ever to happen to this club...Obviously in my lifetime
The results, the performances, the reports of Giggs not showing up at the training ground, Rio coming out with those stories, Vida leaving, Evra after he scored the goal in Munich, Moyes called him over to the touchline and Evra ignored him.

Massive mistake to appoint him.

There is a lot of conspiracy theories floating about....Hard to know if he was first choice. I personally don't believe Fergie would leave all he created and his legacy, in the hands of him.

Must be more to it

ThaReaper01

The club believed too much into it's own bollix! "Oh the United way"....Define the United way?!

I'm just grateful the club saw their error and have gone about fixing it before we ended up like Liverpool.

I'll never forget it....I fell ill at work, came home and as soon as I came in the door, he was announced as manager..My father, who saw the busby babes, the 68 final, the relegation in 74 etc was sat beside me....

My exact words? "Oh good God, we are f**ked!".....He said nothing.
Straight after the Swansea game at the start of the season, my auld lad said, "We're f**ked"

He could see through Moyes after one game

In my lifetime, my first match was the 5-0 against City in 94, Moyes was the worst thing ever to happen to this club...Obviously in my lifetime
The results, the performances, the reports of Giggs not showing up at the training ground, Rio coming out with those stories, Vida leaving, Evra after he scored the goal in Munich, Moyes called him over to the touchline and Evra ignored him.

Massive mistake to appoint him.

There is a lot of conspiracy theories floating about....Hard to know if he was first choice. I personally don't believe Fergie would leave all he created and his legacy, in the hands of him.

Must be more to it
Regardless, this is something that should never happen and something I hope Pat is ashamed of. One of if not the most disrespectful thing a footballer can do to their manager. Essentially showing him no support despite being leaned on as a leader in the dressing room. Irks me to no end this. So unprofessional. Like Moyes appointed himself. He wasn't perfect and he did some things I'm sure, given the chance, he wouldn't or would do differently but that was totally uncalled for.

.Rossi

Regardless, this is something that should never happen and something I hope Pat is ashamed of. One of if not the most disrespectful thing a footballer can do to their manager. Essentially showing him no support despite being leaned on as a leader in the dressing room. Irks me to no end this. So unprofessional. Like Moyes appointed himself. He wasn't perfect and he did some things I'm sure, given the chance, he wouldn't or would do differently but that was totally uncalled for.
Wouldn't mind but, we conceded 58 seconds later and it was partly Evra's fault :lol::lol:

Was over in Glasgow at a gig....Watched the full highlights in my hotel room....Worst defending I've ever seen from a team....

The Rooney and Welbeck moment though :lol::lol: And people still argue Rooney is one of the best in the world and Welbeck is great?!

ThaReaper01

Wouldn't mind but, we conceded 58 seconds later and it was partly Evra's fault :lol::lol:

Was over in Glasgow at a gig....Watched the full highlights in my hotel room....Worst defending I've ever seen from a team....

The Rooney and Welbeck moment though :lol::lol: And people still argue Rooney is one of the best in the world and Welbeck is great?!
That's what makes it even more incredible; Evra was horrendous all season but Moyes stuck by him. And that's what he got in return.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Yep if that Evra thing is true then you have to feel a little sorry for him, very unprofessional and pathetic, reputations should mean nothing when stuff like that happens.

However Moyes was a dithering fool, he should have replaced guys like Evra, Rio, Scholes (Easier said than done I know) in the summer 2013, instead he got scared and didn't change anything, we were a joke defensively when we won the league in 2013 and a good manager would have addressed that.

ThaReaper01

Yep if that Evra thing is true then you have to feel a little sorry for him, very unprofessional and pathetic, reputations should mean nothing when stuff like that happens.

However Moyes was a dithering fool, he should have replaced guys like Evra, Rio, Scholes (Easier said than done I know) in the summer 2013, instead he got scared and didn't change anything, we were a joke defensively when we won the league in 2013 and a good manager would have addressed that.
Like I said, he wasn't perfect and the job was probably too big for him but as one of the most experienced players around, he should've stuck by Moyes through thick and thin. Especially considering Moyes did the same.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I enjoy watching faces. I googled images of David Moyes and it's all him as United manager. No pictures on the first pages of him coaching Everton or Real Sociedad. So there's that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think football decisions should be made based on romance and certainly not when you end up appointing David Moyes.
I think football reasons is what kept Mourinho out of the team.

Mourinho is a short term type of manager. He'll come to a club, he'll spend a lot of money, he would win the honors and leave when the money is gone. Ideas of building a quality squad that endures the test of time is foreign to him. Both Chelsea and Inter were worse off once he left especially the latter who was left with a pile of old players and not enough investment to rebuild the squad. United's future goes beyond 2016

.Rossi

I think football reasons is what kept Mourinho out of the team.

Mourinho is a short term type of manager. He'll come to a club, he'll spend a lot of money, he would win the honors and leave when the money is gone. Ideas of building a quality squad that endures the test of time is foreign to him. Both Chelsea and Inter were worse off once he left especially the latter who was left with a pile of old players and not enough investment to rebuild the squad. United's future goes beyond 2016
Stick with Moyes though and our future looked pretty bleak

OldTrevil

The story about Charlton vetoing Mourinho sounds more plausible than Mourinho turning us down, as I believe like many that he was clearly angling for the United job towards his end at Madrid. I was gutted at first that we didn't get him, but I've been thinking about it and maybe it was for the best. I mean, would you guys be happy with his type of football? I like winning but I want United to entertain while doing it.

NM

SAF picked him, don't blame anyone else.

At that point SAF was the unquestionable boss in the club. Nobody could even imagine going against SAF's will.

He picked Moyes because he was a friend of his family, Moyes' father gave him a job when he was young, he was Scottish, he would let them direct from the sidelines, and he would never threaten SAF's records (like Mourinho could do).

It was SAF's decision.
Some of the stuff you read here..:lol:

rover

I dont believe he was the first choice.

As far as I understand, 3 people were involved in choosing who would succeed SAF: Gill (strongly favoured an experienced Euro manager - Jose/Pep/Ancelloti etc), Charlton (favoured keeping tradition with a British manager plus really hates Mourinho) and Fergie (somewhere in between the other 2).

I think Ancelloti and Pep were approached but it was too late as they had already verbally agreed to go elsewhere. Jose was up for the job, Gill and Fergie both rated him but Charlton vetoed it.

Looking at the UK managers available at the time, Moyes probably was the best of an average bunch - the Scottish story and track record with youth also appealled to Fergie and Charlton to continue the line of Busby and Ferguson so he got the job!

pretty much correct

just i don't think sir bobby would say no to pep just because he is not a british.

put it in this way, apart from his lack of winning history you were not easy to pinpoint out a strong reason why mr moyes was not right for the job if time went back two years ago. and this only disadvantage was not a big issue for us given the successful history of sir busby and saf.

very obviously, moyes was a choice of compromise after all top dogs were out of the picture because of different reasons though i can't tell whom first put his name onto the table. but it really doesn't matter now no matter who is this

Oneunited26

Personally I think fat Sam would of done a better job.

As with most on here I find it hard to believe United looked outside of the UK. You can't consider the likes of Ancellotti, Jose and Pep and then end up with Moyes. There would have been at least 10 tier 2 European managers that you would approach before Moyes.

So until proven otherwise Fergie gets the blame. I look forward to the new edition book.
Atleast with big sam he would not be afraid to ruffle a few feathers, Moyes was afraid to even pluck the feather off the turkeys back, let alone put the turkey in the oven. At onne point during the season, he said he was afraid to take RVP off afraid of the reaction

But with big sam, its hard to say where we would finish when you had a set of ageing players refusing to listen to managers who were negative, or in their eyes the style of football they would not have enjoyed under sam, so we may have finished 7th anyway, who knows