Was the Casemiro signing a mistake?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's all relative really. He's had a hugely disappointing season, but was integral in lifting us from arguably our darkest moment post-SAF after the start to last season (Brighton, Brentford losses) with rumours of Rabiot and Arnautovic circulating.

So, he's been a success in that we are better/had a much better season last year largely because of him, but he probably wasn't the long-term option to oversee a longstanding transformation.

ForeverRed1

He wasn’t a first, second or third choice signing. He was a last minute panic buy who actually in the first season was pretty damn good. Infact we was singing his name and calling him essential for most of it.

The issue is it was short sighted and expensive. A very expensive stop gap signing.

If he can stay injury free, he takes a while to warm up, he could find form and be integral to the season finish. Staying injury free is a big IF though.

Could easily stay another season as a squad player and for experience in changing room but if a big offer came in for him could equally be sold and cashed in on. Win win really with him.

saivet

Said it before and will say it again, the bigger mistake was not having a clear succession plan in place. I'll give them a bye for last season but it was clear as day last summer that we needed to start thinking seriously about a back up or a younger player to challenge him. Instead we got a last minute loan signing in Amrabat who seemed to be more of an after thought.

redshaw

Yes

He was very good last season, it was a relief to have a top midfielder after many years but for 70m and the wages, that wasn't good value at all as he's been a huge letdown the following season through injury and sluggish performances.

So much money wasted, 70m on Case, 85m on Antony, 72m on Sancho, 55m on Mount.

sugar_kane

He's not a dissimilar signing to Zlatan, Cavani and Ronaldo. Big player at the tail end of his career who could plug a gap for a season or so.

The difference with Casemiro is we paid about £60-70m more than each of those signings.

TrailMonkey

I think he genuinely thought he was joining a 'project' to get United back in contention for top 2-3 with a chance of being title contenders around 2024/25. He looked pretty decent for much of his first 4-5 months, but started picking up cards/bans and negative attention that he wasn't receiving at RM. I think he then thought sod this, the reffing/VAR is shit, the team is shit, the manager is shit, the standards are shit, the facilities are shit, and we're going nowhere... but I'm going to stick around and pick up my wedge.

Had we actually improved, instead of falling off a cliff after last year's Carabao Cup win, then I reckon we'd have seen a better Case.

I also think Varane felt the same but has obv had more injury niggles.