Was the Casemiro signing a mistake?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He should have been sent off. Which would have cost us three points. Mainoo is making him look good by doing the work.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He had a period when he arrived where he showed us the Casemiro we hoped we signed but picking up the 2 red cards and then some small injuries had him losing form and he has not found it since then really. I dont know if it is that he suddenly lost his energy, motivation or just is not happy after spending more then 18 months in a rainy Manchester? Because none of those injuries was that serious that it would make him lose 50% of the player we first saw here. Right now, to be honest, I dont see him as the first one ETH puts down on the paper when picking the starting eleven - I would rather keep Mainoo in the team for example if it was up to me to only chose one of them. And we cant have a 32 years old (in 5 days) CDM sitting on the bench collecting a huge salary week in and week out while he is not dominating like he was supposed to on the pitch when playing.

I would try to sell him to the Saudi, Ronaldos club maybe, this summer while he has still a couple of years left and is still an attractive name .We would probably get at least 50m euros for him, maybe more after we get all these great leaders in place before the summer.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
He’s a Real Madrid legend.

The love he gets from a certain section of United fans is just plain weird to me. He’s done nothing to deserve it.
He’s done nothing but show passion for the club since he got here. Not legend status but it’s easy to see why he has such a cult following

Nicolarra90

It was obvious to anyone who watched Madrid regularly. He has no pace, no power for more back and forth football. His last year at Madrid he already showed physical deficiencies.
We should be playing back and forth football.

KeanoMagicHat

Yes a massive mistake. 70 million for him was a massive panic buy. These type of signings are what ratcliffe is trying to stop. For that money we should have signing someone at max 24/25 years of age who’ll be a top signing for years.
Just because someone is younger doesn’t mean they’ll be a top signing, it’s not Football Manager. That’s what has Chelsea in mid-table.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

The love he gets from a certain section of United fans is just plain weird to me. He’s done nothing to deserve it.
Did I say United legend? Applying your own narrative there fella!
All I meant was he is good. He’s a legendary player, a beast, a boss. Of course he’s not a United legend. Not been here long enough for a start. ;)

Wolfbot

One of our best players last season, thought he was class for most of it.

Looks like he's not coping with the speed of the league this year. Still really good at nicking the ball off toes on the edge of the box, but he's not been able to make the tackles needed in the middle of the pitch and to make it worse he is constantly diving in late or cynically fouling so at risk of being sent off.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Our midfield setup is appalling and displays no tenets of how a functional midfield should be constructed. It doesn’t facilitate the short, compacted space that encourages cerebral play over hard running at 100mph in one direction or another. Basically, you need very athletic players at or around the height of their physical prime to bridge the gaps cover the acres of space we offer the opposition to run into if they beat the initial press - it is way, way too much open space for an ageing Casemiro to cover, and even in his pomp, he was part of a proper midfield that never overextended any component. So what we’ve done is place him in a midfield that asks far more of him than he ever had to do, and done it an age where he should be doing less hard running and playing the game more in his mind and reading to sweeping.

We haven’t catered to his attributes in the slightest and with that being the case, he definitely should be sold in the summer. In a different team, where he is catered to, we’d get to see just how useful and effective he is or is not, but what’s for sure is the way we currently ask him to play, he will look like the game is too much for him and that he’s struggling to keep up with the play/league. Casemiro was never a Kante type, so expecting him to run around making key sprints every other minute is absurd; he isn’t capable of it.

Superunknown

I don't agree that we signed the wrong calibre of player. He's a high profile player who is a winner, ambitious, and brought a lot to the club last season. However, I am disappointed by his performances this season. He seems notoriously slow to start and seems to take a large number of games to hit his stride. Without looking into the situation too much, I question his fitness regime, especially at the intensity required for the league. On that note, I question the same thing for the vast majority of our squad. It's something that needs to be looked at.

On paper, Casemiro and Mainoo seem like a very solid and tough midfield pairing. But, from what I've seen so far, Mainoo is very mobile and nimble, whereas Casemiro seems to be second to almost everything, lunging in and quickly accumulating cards. I do think that there is a place for him at the club, but we 100% have to go to the window again this summer for the midfield positions. We need somebody who is mobile, can keep the ball, and is able to spot a pass. A ball-keeper to compliment what Mainoo can do.

United888

It's a mistake because we invested huge money on short term when we are nowhere near in winning the league. Now, we need to invest the money again to buy new one to rebuild.

At the beginning many or some people were against signing Hojlund because he's still too young, and people wanted Kane. But now, lot of people seem to be pleased that we invested the money for future like Hojlund rather than for short term. Invested on young players for future is better signing for us considering that we are still nowhere near in the level of winning or challenging the league.

marktan

Big fan of his when he was at real but hesitant on signing him due to age and a lot of mileage in his legs.

I wanted Bissouma that summer and long term that probably would've been a better buy. Frankie De Jong who was the initial target I didn't want as he's basically what Mainoo gives us but a little better. Not a DM.

If we can get a good young DM in to rotate with Cas that'd be ideal. Something like a £40m DM, a £40m ball playing CM to replace Eriksen/Amrabat and Mitoma for around £50m would be a very good window for the gaps we have in our team currently. If we could sell Antony and Mount for a decent fee and bring Greenwood back that would be the cherry on top.

Tyrion

Just because someone is younger doesn’t mean they’ll be a top signing, it’s not Football Manager. That’s what has Chelsea in mid-table.
Obviously they'd have to be young and good. Chelsea's problem is they have signed too many players too young, too quickly and not good enough.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to argue that giving Casemiro such a long contract and paying such a large fee was a bad idea due to his age.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Our midfield setup is appalling and displays no tenets of how a functional midfield should be constructed. It doesn’t facilitate the short, compacted space that encourages cerebral play over hard running at 100mph in one direction or another. Basically, you need very athletic players at or around the height of their physical prime to bridge the gaps cover the acres of space we offer the opposition to run into if they beat the initial press - it is way, way too much open space for an ageing Casemiro to cover, and even in his pomp, he was part of a proper midfield that never overextended any component. So what we’ve done is place him in a midfield that asks far more of him than he ever had to do, and done it an age where he should be doing less hard running and playing the game more in his mind and reading to sweeping.

We haven’t catered to his attributes in the slightest and with that being the case, he definitely should be sold in the summer. In a different team, where he is catered to, we’d get to see just how useful and effective he is or is not, but what’s for sure is the way we currently ask him to play, he will look like the game is too much for him and that he’s struggling to keep up with the play/league. Casemiro was never a Kante type, so expecting him to run around making key sprints every other minute is absurd; he isn’t capable of it.
The physical aspect is true but he's only been worse than expected with his passing and reading of the game. He is careless with the ball in a way our midfield can't afford especially with Bruno also playing. I'd sell asap

Teja

He was good for about 10 games last year. Must get rid.

Dr Foo

The physical aspect is true but he's only been worse than expected with his passing and reading of the game. He is careless with the ball in a way our midfield can't afford especially with Bruno also playing. I'd sell asap
I didn’t watch him too match at Real, I am surprised at how adventurous and care free his passing is with us. Thought he would be more conservative, even though it’s nice to see some of his progressive pay off some times. Like you mentioned, we can’t afford that with Hollywood Bruno playing as well. One of them needs to tone down or get replaced

Juicy Juiced

It was obvious to anyone who watched Madrid regularly. He has no pace, no power for more back and forth football. His last year at Madrid he already showed physical deficiencies.
You didn't watch Madrid.

I love how our form is improved with Case back in the team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’s playing a rushed and unsettling role that he isn’t the right profile for. Put him in a proper 3-man midfield and the requirements change as does the range he’s expected to pass over. With shorter passing, it’s easier to hit your mark, but by trying to have him be more expansive than he is capable of, the margins for error increase exponentially. You have to remember that at Real, his main job was to sweep up for Modric and Kroos and then relay short passes to either one for them to be progressive with. What he does here was never his remit, so it ‘exposes’ him more than he should be, and worse, at an age where he’s on an organic decline anyway.

If you really want to see how much he’s actually declined, place him conditions he’s familiar with and see how good/bad at the jobs which he made his name off of.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He’s playing a rushed and unsettling role that he isn’t the right profile for. Put him in a proper 3-man midfield and the requirements change as does the range he’s expected to pass over. With shorter passing, it’s easier to hit your mark, but by trying to have him be more expansive than he is capable of, the margins for error increase exponentially. You have to remember that at Real, his main job was to sweep up for Modric and Kroos and then relay short passes to either one for them to be progressive with. What he does here was never his remit, so it ‘exposes’ him more than he should be, and worse, at an age where he’s on an organic decline anyway.

If you really want to see how much he’s actually declined, place him conditions he’s familiar with and see how good/bad at the jobs which he made his name off of.
We just need to find a Kroos and Modric for him shouldn't be too hard.

I agree a lot of the blame goes to ETH both for the structure surrounding him and the instructions given to him within that structure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We just need to find a Kroos and Modric for him shouldn't be too hard.

I agree a lot of the blame goes to ETH both for the structure surrounding him and the instructions given to him within that structure.
Functional cogs in a functional midfield would be grand.

SAFMUTD

He's legs seem to be gone, he's still class on some aspects of the game but his physically struggling with the league. Seems to be run past by any half speedy player these days. Also the fact that he seems to be a target for referees doesn't help as he's yellow carded pretty fast and he can't challenge for duels anymore.

If the Arabs come calling this is the time to sell, he'll only become slower and slower as years go by.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

A lot of fans are more intrested with who a player has played for before rather than what kind of player they are now and will be going forward.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
A lot of fans are more intrested with who a player has played for before rather than what kind of player they are now and will be going forward.
Yes, and it seems the people in charge of your club aren't much better. Hopefully the new regime will be better at spotting talent and develop a clear recruitment strategy. No more over-paying for players who are on the decline. Casemiro for £20-25mil (a la the Jorginho transfer) might have been reasonable but not at £60mil.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It was always a short term transfer. The work to be done now is to identify a centre mid to replace him.

Castia

In the long term it was a bad deal. He’s a good player but his age and constant bans/injuries make it a bad deal for the club.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Endomorph athletes don’t age well. Spending £60m on a 30yo Kroos or Modric is another thing altogether.

We should have taken one look at Casemiro’s fat cheeks and turned away.
Endomorph? The concept is utter nonsense.

Zen86

Short termism at its finest. Always great for a season or two (or half in this case), then comes the regret.

KeanoMagicHat

Short termism at its finest. Always great for a season or two (or half in this case), then comes the regret.
But a lot of the equivalent signings like Schweinsteiger for example weren’t even good for a season. At least Casemiro has been good, which can’t be said for a lot of players at the club. For that reason I don’t think he’s been a mistake.

Gordon Godot

But a lot of the equivalent signings like Schweinsteiger for example weren’t even good for a season or two. At least Casemiro has been good, which can’t be said for a lot of players at the club. For that reason I don’t think he’s been a mistake.
Its 100% a mistake and classic bad signing of the Glazer era. A high profile signing to appease fans, but not what we need. RM keeping doing us over and we keep buying their rejects. Souness was 100% right, wasted a load of money and he already needs replacing. It was clear from start of season his legs had gone, an increasing liability as his passing is not great and he is too slow for PL. So what if we won a tin pot trophy, we need to build a proper team. Money would have been far better saved for Rice who would give us 6-7 years at the top.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Yes...but we never seem to learn. We should have never signed another older DM after we saw how quickly Matic declined once his legs started betraying him. Should have always gone for a younger DM, even if it meant that we didn't win the mickey mouse cup last season and finished outside the top 4. Long-term planning is much more important than short term signings which hurt in the longer term. We spent 100m on trasnfer fees and probably another 100m in wages on those two for what like a combines 60-70 good games in total? Not good, imo.

MinGin

Its 100% a mistake and classic bad signing of the Glazer era. A high profile signing to appease fans, but not what we need. RM keeping doing us over and we keep buying their rejects. Souness was 100% right, wasted a load of money and he already needs replacing. It was clear from start of season his legs had gone, an increasing liability as his passing is not great and he is too slow for PL. So what if we won a tin pot trophy, we need to build a proper team. Money would have been far better saved for Rice who would give us 6-7 years at the top.
RM's rejection was kept good record (i.e. Robben, Sneijder , Ødegaard etc). The only thing is....Glazer cannot choose the good one, they chose the big one :lol::lol:

Hal9000

Signing wasn't a mistake, maybe the wages and length were but we wasn't going to get him without the other.

He was worth it last year on his own where he really dragged the team through at points last season. This season he's not been great but he's also but been able to get a rhythm with injuries.

KeanoMagicHat

We were never qualifying for the Champions League last season without Casemiro, financially he recouped a lot of the fee by leading us there, even if we went out in the group stages.

Also we've 24 points in the 12 games he's played, and 20 points in the 13 games he hasn't played this season. If he's so bad, then why is the team worse without him?

Maticmaker

Casemiro was always something of a stop gap gamble, but it will be good for Mainoo to get a season or two experience alongside this guy.