Television Was the ending to Lost really THAT bad? | Yes

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yea I read the article. A lot of the stuff sounds really shit but I’m not letting it ruin my rewatch.

There are a lot of claims of racism from Harold Perrineau saying he got sidelined, but Naveen Andrews’ character was pretty central the whole way through.
I remember listening to the podcast back when the show was on, and being able to instinctively intuit that Cuse was someone who didn’t really do as much writing as Lindeloff. For better or worse he just seemed dull.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Some of the strongest characters and character development in television history. Ending wasn't even bad, just a little muted.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Because he was a selfish prick?
Oh. I was young when I watched it as it was being released, but my memory is that he was the calm, wise, and nice one. Can hardly remember what he did though.

Woodzy

The final season was bad, but the ending itself made me an emotional wreck.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
So I'm rewatching this from the start. I saw it 'live' back when it was first released, but just felt like going from the top as I was a young un when season 1 first came out.

I'm 3 episodes in, initial thoughts are:

1) The acting in the pilot is a bit hammy in parts - especially from Jack and Kate.
2) There's some excellent foreshadowing in the pilot that you only get when rewatching - the first is a really odd scene after the plane has crashed, and the dust has somewhat settled...Kate looks over to Locke and he smiles an orange peel smile. It's just such a bizarre moment given what's happened (I think she's stealing shoes at the time). The second is when Walt and him begin talking and he introduces the game backgammon to him and says 'Two players, two sides. One is light, one is dark.' That's pretty much the whole show captured in that one line in the first episode.

3) Evangeline Lilly is so beautiful (to be honest, most of the female leads here are beautiful).
4) Charlie is a very central character in these first few episodes. I guess he's probably one of the 'stars' of the show given he'd only finished LotR a year or so prior. Similar to Michael who was still popular from Romeo & Juliet. Them two aside, the rest of the actors I wouldn't have known from anywhere, but as a cast, they really turn in some great performances.
5) It really is brave storytelling, and kudos to the studio behind it, that they depict a flight crash so explicitly only a few years after 9/11. I know a slate of movies / tv shows from around that timeframe were shelved due to how they'd be perceived following that incident. The plane crash is really well done and it is a genuinely shocking moment in the show.

Someone on youtube has done an epic edit of the plane crash in real time using all the scenes in other seasons (i.e. Desmond, the Others etc) and pieced it together in 24 format. I'll post it once I get to the season 2.

Anyway, more thoughts when I make my way further in.
So after a big break from this post - finally finished ep 5 of S1 last night. This is the episode where Jack chases the spectre of his dead father (Christian Shepherd) through the jungle. He then finds his coffin later, opens it and sees the body is missing, and smashes it in a fit of rage.

John Locke comes out with a great line "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was beautiful." when Jack thinks he's going insane.

Jack also finds clean water as they were running out of it.

So, in reference to Christian Shepherd...does the Man in Black/ol' Smoky literally inhabit the body of the deceased? I always thought he just takes the appearance but not necessarily the actual physical body.

Sylar

I think the finale was maybe the best EP of the final season but overall the whole season was such a let down. It could have been so much more. Felt like the initial purgatory plan was changed as so many people guessed it but they then introduced it into the final season anyway with the sideway.

And then they added stuff to try wrap it up and it was a big mess. Still enjoyed the finale and remember it being the first show I probably watched live as it was such an event. (Then it evolved with me doing that for GoT from S5 or 6 when sky Atlantic did it)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So after a big break from this post - finally finished ep 5 of S1 last night. This is the episode where Jack chases the spectre of his dead father (Christian Shepherd) through the jungle. He then finds his coffin later, opens it and sees the body is missing, and smashes it in a fit of rage.

John Locke comes out with a great line "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was beautiful." when Jack thinks he's going insane.

So, in reference to Christian Shepherd...does the Man in Black/ol' Smoky literally inhabit the body of the deceased? I always thought he just takes the appearance but not necessarily the actual physical body.
No just the appearance of I think!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I wasn't GoT pissed off, but it certainly stopped me ever rewatching the show. Just a shit final season and finale.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I thought the ending of Lost was great tbh. Several people I know watched the show feverishly and kept trying to tell me how great it was. I wasn't impressed at all and so when they got sour about the ending I felt vindicated for not spending much time on it.

Victory. :cool:

Roosney

The downhill started at some point during S4. It got obvious the most interesting mysteries and plot lines would never be revealed nor explained because they were just some cool one-offs the writers came up with.

It's totally fine to leave things unanswered in shows and films but with Lost it was just a total let down.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Loved it from start to finish and was happy to come across the extra mini episode they released after which tied up a few things. Probably the one show I was invested in more than any other and after watching an episode I would watch a youtuber dissecting the episode.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The ending wasn't bad, just predictable. It's what most of us thought would happen but expected something more imaginative after the show took so many left turns, especially early on.

My biggest disappointment was when they explained how the black smoke worked. I was terrified of it and suddenly, it felt a bit shitty. I wish that was one of the things they didn't explain.

Wing Attack Plan R

I wasn't GoT pissed off, but it certainly stopped me ever researching the show. Just a shit final season and finale.
Let’s just move the island!
Not Penny’s boat!
How about Sawyer and Said as LAPD buddy cops!

So much of that show was just horseshit. I read an interview where one of the show runners said they werent paid to write things that made sense or were paid off, only to write things that were intriguing.

FriedClams

Lost holds a dear place in my heart because it was up there with one of the first shows that had mass discussion about theories on message boards.

Wing Attack Plan R

The ending wasn't bad, just predictable. It's what most of us thought would happen but expected something more imaginative after the show took so many left turns, especially early on.

My biggest disappointment was when they explained how the black smoke worked. I was terrified of it and suddenly, it felt a bit shitty. I wish that was one of the things they didn't explain.
Early on in season 1 the writers promised that the Lost-aways were not dead, in limbo, or in an alternate reality. They lied.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
The Constant was the best TV episode of all time by a million miles.

Unreal and completely on another level.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
An absolute shit show of a TV series. The show runners absolutely milked it once they realised how much of a cash cow it became. Nonsensical plots each season that led to nowhere, the last few seasons and the ending in particular were terrible. Can't believe I watched it all the way through.

The Corinthian

Early on in season 1 the writers promised that the Lost-aways were not dead, in limbo, or in an alternate reality. They lied.
The Lost-aways weren't any of those though. The events on the island happened. The sideflash was a place they collectively created to help them accept and pass through to the afterlife (there's a sentence I thought I'd never type). So you could say the sideways flash was the only part that fit in the 'dead, in limbo' column, but literally everything else happened.

Big Andy

Bloke
I'm still surprised that there was never a sequel series made, with Hurley, Walt, etc. It's not like any of them have really gone on to bigger and better things since.

The Corinthian

I'm still surprised that there was never a sequel series made, with Hurley, Walt, etc. It's not like any of them have really gone on to bigger and better things since.
Yea, I definitely thought it set itself up for a 'Lost: Stories' or something where they go back in time (almost as an anthology series) and just show how different people / groups came to the island by Jacob, (or even pre-Jacob), and their stories with the island.

There's a lot they could have done with it.

Big Andy

Bloke
Yea, I definitely thought it set itself up for a 'Lost: Stories' or something where they go back in time (almost as an anthology series) and just show how different people / groups came to the island by Jacob, (or even pre-Jacob), and their stories with the island.

There's a lot they could have done with it.
I think a sequel would've worked better than a prequel, although a Dharma series might have been good. I would watch either of them though.

The Corinthian

I think a sequel would've worked better than a prequel, although a Dharma series might have been good. I would watch either of them though.
From memory, there was only Hurley and Ben who stayed on the island when it was all over? and the big bad (ol' Smoky) was gone...they'd have to go in a totally new direction, with a totally new threat if they were to do a sequel series.

Maybe they could have found a way for those who left the island (Sawyer, Kate and can't remember who else) to end up coming back for some reason. Who knows.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You didn’t get the ending. That’s fine - but they didn’t lie.
They were in afterlife for a season is incredibly shit and they really didn't explain many of the mysteries of the island. The bits they did attempt to explain made very little sense. I know Lost fans will defend it like their first newborn, but it really was shite.

This coming from someone who loved it initially and would take still frames and discuss in forums about theories while also doing that weird Summer browser game they had mid season at one point.

Ended so poorly, the show deserved better.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They were in afterlife for a season is incredibly shit and they really didn't explain many of the mysteries of the island. The bits they did attempt to explain made very little sense. I know Lost fans will defend it like their first newborn, but it really was shite.

This coming from someone who loved it initially and would take still frames and discuss in forums about theories while also doing that weird Summer browser game they had mid season at one point.

They weren’t in the afterlife for a season though. There was a nice side storyline at the end where they found out what happens in the afterlife.

All the main mysteries were answered.

The Corinthian

I don't get the criticism of the ending. What was your issue with it? The main storyline had a fitting conclusion. The sideways flash was just something different considering we had 3 seasons of flash backwards, and 2 seasons of flash forwards. It had very little bearing on the actual main storyline and that was the intent.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
From memory, there was only Hurley and Ben who stayed on the island when it was all over? and the big bad (ol' Smoky) was gone...they'd have to go in a totally new direction, with a totally new threat if they were to do a sequel series.

Maybe they could have found a way for those who left the island (Sawyer, Kate and can't remember who else) to end up coming back for some reason. Who knows.
Rose and Bernard were knocking around as well.

Walt went back there as of the post credits ending.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah the sideways stuff took some time to pay-off but I remember it being quite sweet. All those connections carrying on into the afterlife.

SirAF

Ageist
They weren’t in the afterlife for a season though. There was a nice side storyline at the end where they found out what happens in the afterlife.

All the main mysteries were answered.
Correct. Annoys me when people don't get the ending :lol:

The Corinthian

House of the Rising Sun - Episode 6

This is a Sun (and Jin) centric episode. Nothing much interesting happens in the main storyline (will get to it later) but some really great flashback scenes of Sun and Jin's relationship, and the role Sun's father plays (not being seen). Jin coming from a low class family and wanting to marry Sun who is a rich, high class family. There's some great acting from her in the final flashback scene actually - where she was preparing to leave Jin for good:

The episode kicks off with Jin beating the shit out of Michael in front of Walt, which leads him to get handcuffed.

In the main storyline, Jack wants to bring people to the caves where they get fresh water, Locke begins to help Charlie kick his drug habit and help him find his guitar. There's some sexual tension between Jack and Kate.

Again, Locke has some really interesting lines with Charlie..."If you want something from this island, you have to give it something first". They obviously had Locke down to play (maybe the most) significant role throughout the series.

Edit: Forgot to add...this episode has one of the reveals of the big mysteries of the show...the corpse of 'Adam and Eve' in the caves:

Last edited:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
The show was the perfect example of having a great idea from the start, but not being able to take it further on the same level.
The mystery part was interesting as long as it remained a mystery. An island no one is able to find, strange and spooky things happening there, people stranded on that island all had some sort of drama in their lifes before the crash and it catched up with them on that island. That idea hooked people.
Revealing that mystery in having a black smoke flying around, primal struggle between good and evil did not on the other hand. The show went too quickly from a more or less realistic mystery to bad fantasy. At least they managed to end the show quite emotionally.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I mean you gotta give it to this show, I've never seen anything before or since that had so many people talking about it in such a way. At one point it seemed like every single person I knew would be talking about the latest mystery after an episode aired.

I get there's a huge supernatural element to the show but this bit about an afterlife didn't really do anything for me. I don't really see the relevance of it to the overall storyline, it just seemed to try to elevate the scope of the show but ended up feeling grandiose. Lost got away with it because they made it a twist on their known formula, "Is this a flashback? A flashforward? A flashalternate? Wait.. It's a flash into the afterlife!". But it's not like "afterlife" was ever a central theme, or was it?

Well, it wasn't complete shit I suppose. The most baffling thing about it is the amount of people that came away saying "So they were dead all along! I knew it!". Like... how do you get that so wrong?

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I mean you gotta give it to this show, I've never seen anything before or since that had so many people talking about it in such a way. At one point it seemed like every single person I knew would be talking about the latest mystery after an episode aired.
Really? GoT was Lost on steroids from that perspective.