g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Waste of talent xi? (Wasteman xi)

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Quaresma
Francis Jeffers
Anderson
Cadamarteri
Ben Arfa
Going to include Hulk too as he should have been playing in a better league.
Adriano and Ronaldinho to an extent too.
Cudicini played back up for too long

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Rafael and Fabio were held back by injuries and circumstance rather than self-destructive stupidity imo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Balotelli
Morrison
Adriano
Recoba
Mutu
Anderson
Diaby
Breno
Recoba is a great shout. Has all the talent to be a very top player, but couldn't do it consistently.

Maybe Ariel Ortega and Ever Banega also.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Quaresma
Francis Jeffers
Anderson
Cadamarteri
Ben Arfa
I think it can't be expressed enough that Januzaj had a seasons worth of PL experience before getting the loans offered to him.
Going to include Hulk too as he should have been playing in a better league.
Adriano and Ronaldinho to an extent too.
Cudicini played back up for too long
Bit harsh, he's sort of revived his career. 2 years ago he was at the lowest point in his career playing for Hull City, he put his head down in France and has earned a move to PSG. Think he scored in the French version of the community shield.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
-----------------------Hildebrand-----------------
Richards----Jones--Badstuber----Fabio
---------------------Strootman--------------------
--------------Anderson----Morrison----------
Quaresma-------------------------------------Adu
------------------------Adriano (c)---------------------

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Can't post anymore today so here my explanation of picking Mehmet Scholl.
Scholl had some terrible luck with injuries in his career. Especially his international career has been cut short because of it.
He had outrageous talent and while he collected lots of club trophies due to playing for Bayern he never became the player he could have become. So unless we only pick players who wasted their careers by themselves it's completely fine to pick him and most of the other German posters will probably agree with what I wrote.
It's still bollocks. Mehmet was voted into our historic 11 and for good reason. He won every club title there is, and was instrumental on the way getting there.
He had some bad luck with catching injuries just before the NT tournaments, but he was invaluable for Bayern. Don't see any waste at all here.

Recoba is a great shout. Has all the talent to be a very top player, but couldn't do it consistently.

Maybe Ariel Ortega and Ever Banega also.
Recoba did pretty well for Inter, as I always thought.
I throw in Roque Santa Cruz. He has everything to become a WC CF, but he never lived up to his potential

Last edited:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I was going to say Djordjic but was he ever really a highly touted future star? I think it might just be that he always turned into a beast on Championship Manager 01/02.

I'll go with Ben Thornley.

...I remember reading in the United mags that he was the best of the Class of '92, but kept getting injured and ended up at Huddersfield.

:(

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's still bollocks. Mehmet was voted into our historic 11 and for good reason. He won every club title there is, and was instrumental on the way getting there.
He had some bad luck with catching injuries just before the NT tournaments, but he was invaluable for Bayern. Don't see any waste at all here.

Recoba did pretty well for Inter, as I always thought.
I throw in Roque Santa Cruz. He has everything to become a WC CF, but he never lived up to his potential
Yeh. Mehmet Scholl was a weird choice.

Recoba is short of like Robinho, just blows hot and cold as being inconsistent.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
-----------------------Hildebrand-----------------
Richards----Jones--Badstuber----Fabio
---------------------Strootman--------------------
--------------Anderson----Morrison----------
Quaresma-------------------------------------Adu
------------------------Adriano (c)---------------------
Has 'waste of talent' been defined in this thread yet? A few of those have just been real injury victims; Badstuber, Jones and Strootman.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think you can categorize wasted talent in 3 ways:

Injuries ruined career - e.g. Badstuber, Strootman, Rossi, Diesler (depression), Diaby, Da Silva twins, K.Dyer, Woodgate, Lentini
Over-hyped as a youngster/just not that good - e.g. Lamptey, Adu, Kerlon, Jeffers, Cadamateri, Thornley, Quaresma, Akinfeev, Carlos Alberto, Adailton, Saviola Denilson, Rodwell, Babel, Bojan...there's a million
Attitude problem/lacked motivation/personal demons - e.g. Adriano, Morrison, Recoba, Collymore, Gascoigne, Anderson, Balotelli, Bosnich, Mutu, Johnson, Robinho, Cassano

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
There was this kid called Lenny who at age 17 looked like the next Maradona.

There was this kid called Lenny who at age 17 looked like the next Maradona.

RedTiger

Half mast
Here's one that you won't hear much about but was well known around my local area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Jeanne
Leon Charles Jeanne (born 17 November 1980) is a Welsh former footballer. In 2015 he was imprisoned for conspiracy to carry-out drug dealing.

A talented winger Jeanne began his career at Queens Park Rangers, making his debut on February 1999 against Watford, but problems began to arise nearly as soon as he became a professional when he disappeared for over a week when he was meant to be reporting for Wales under-21 duty. However manager Gerry Francis revealed that it was not the first time the youngster had gone missing and that Jeanne was on his last chance at the club after being arrested for drink-driving the previous year.[1]

He left QPR in 2001 to sign for his hometown club Cardiff City who hoped to curb his disciplinary problems only for them to spiral out of control during his time there. Just a few weeks after joining Cardiff he tested positive for a class A drug and was handed a two-year suspended sentence by the Football Association of Wales.[2] He started to show his quality with two appearances for the first team after the ruling but at the end of the season yet another situation arose. In May 2002 Jeanne was selected for random drugs testing and sent his sample away but the results came back only to show that the sample he had submitted was not urine. He refused to provide a second sample which led to Cardiff terminating his contract and he left the club.[3]

After his release from Cardiff he attempted a comeback with Havant & Waterlooville in a pre-season friendly against League of Wales side Barry Town but was withdrawn from playing after officials at Barry questioned if he was allowed to play at which point it was revealed that he was currently banned from playing football.[4] He was allowed to resume playing a short while later and enjoyed a prosperous spell at Port Talbot Town but yet again he was involved in a scandal. In September 2002 he was arrested, along with two other men, on suspicion of dealing class A drugs. During the court case he revealed that he used to be addicted to cocaine. Eventually he and the other two men were cleared of all charges.[5]

After the case ended he returned to football with Newport County followed by spells at Dinas Powys and Barry Town.[6] After a spell playing for Maesteg Park, Jeanne joined amateur side Carpenters Arms.[7] On 7 July 2009, Jeanne was arrested on suspicion of money-laundering after a police raid on his home.[8]

Jeanne featured in two pre-season friendlies for Conference South side Weston-super-Mare on 9 and 11 July before signing on non-contract terms, making his debut on the opening day of the season in a defeat to Staines Town.[9] However he was released the following month due to a lack of fitness.[10]

In November 2010, Jeanne left Welsh League side Cardiff Corinthians, and signed for Conference National side Bath City. Jeanne also signed on for Cinderford Town of the Southern League South & West Division on dual registration and spent the majority of the 2010–11 season with Cinderford.

In June 2011, Jeanne joined Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion for pre-season training in a bid to earn a contract and play football at a high level once more. He started the 2011–12 season playing for Welsh Premier League side Afan Lido but left before the start of the 2012–13 season to join Carmarthen Town.[11]
The actual definiton of a Wasteman.

spwd

I'm sure I'll get shit for this but surely George needs to be in here, we all know he played and contributed loads to United but he ended his career far too early so therefore wasted his talent?

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Balotelli has done justice to his limited talent.
:houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

We're all waxing lyrical about Rashford and rightfully so but that's what Balotelli did as a teenager. He should've easily been the best striker in the World by now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think you can categorize wasted talent in 3 ways:

Injuries ruined career - e.g. Badstuber, Strootman, Rossi, Diesler (depression), Diaby, Da Silva twins, K.Dyer, Woodgate, Lentini
Over-hyped as a youngster/just not that good - e.g. Lamptey, Adu, Kerlon, Jeffers, Cadamateri, Thornley, Quaresma, Akinfeev, Carlos Alberto, Adailton, Saviola Denilson, Rodwell, Babel, Bojan...there's a million
Attitude problem/lacked motivation/personal demons - e.g. Adriano, Morrison, Recoba, Collymore, Gascoigne, Anderson, Balotelli, Bosnich, Mutu, Johnson, Robinho, Cassano
From my understanding what happened to Adriano was somehow similar to Deisler - depression after his dad's death. I would put Deisler in the latter category (or Adriano to the first one, if we count the latter category as something that a player is personally responsible for)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rafael, Fabio, Evans and Cleverley are all laughable mentions. All of them are decent PL level players.

Ravel is the biggest wasteman ever. Ridiculous talent and he's no way near to fulfil it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not a single deal......

"Value" , the Glazer love in and the state he left the squad in.
Ah alright, each to their own and can understand that point of view. I thought you were only talking about the Bebe deal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How many waste of talents names thus far are actually good players who threw it away. Most are just shit players or just peaked early.

krombacher92

It's probably too harsh to speak of a wasted career, but without his injuries he could have been an all time great for the national team too. Especially if you consider that he was head and shoulders above everyone else technically. Anyway I'm gonna replace him in my XI with the "new Beckham" David Bentley.

Petr1

Some of those i thought of first that failed due to poor mentality/personality or other personal problems other than injuries. I will admit that my judgement of these are biased bc FM.

Asenjo?

Cicinho
Kjær
Breno (For me, only a FM prodigy)

Morrison (wannabe mafioso)
Anderson (Fat and lazy)
Ganso (Still only 26 and plays for Sevilla now)
Kerlon (one-trick-pony youtube celebrity)

Balotelli (lazy bastard)
Adriano (personal problems that lead to alcoholism)
Bojan (Child-star in the shadows of Messi, dos Santos...)

Mutu(drug addict), Johnson(depression?), Robinho(unlucky, thought he signed for us), Cassano(poor mentality)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

We're all waxing lyrical about Rashford and rightfully so but that's what Balotelli did as a teenager. He should've easily been the best striker in the World by now.
I don't know what that cartoon is meant to depict and couldn't really care either. He was massively overrated. Was a good young player with physical gifts which he occasionally used to great effect. Was never going to be the best striker in the world. That was just people hyping him up and being delusional.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Robert Prosinečki to some extent. He looked like world beater while at Crvena Zvezda (Red Star) and although he earned himself transfers to both Real and Barcelona he didn't play significant part in either of those 2 clubs.

He had multiple problems with injuries but what cost him the most was his lifestyle. Ever since he was kid (age 16,17) he was heavy smoker and used to smoke 2 packs of red marlboro a day while playing (and still does to this day), something which would ruin normal person let alone professional footballer. Also he really likes to drink and go out. In Zagreb he's somewhat of urban legend since he's so down to earth guy who treats all the people the same way, a 2 friends of mine once met him while going home from night out and he bought them both something to eat since they were drunk and hungry and approached him just to shake hands with him :lol:

He really had it all, close control, technique, vision, body balance and hell of a shot either from open play or set pieces, shame he didn't do better, but if you ask him, he's really happy how his career played out.

SirScholes

Gk Paul Robinson

Lb Fabio
Cb Davenport
Cb Bramble
Rb Rafael

Rm Bentley
Cm Gazza
Cm wiltshire
Lm Lee Sharpe

Cf Dani
Cf Balotelli

Subs
Taarabt
Morrison
Anderson (club captain)
Robinho
Ortega
Riqueleme

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Which was to a large degree down to RVPs last hurra season, and the lack of a consistent opposition, though.
We weren't a one man by any stretch. We had huge contributions from loads of ther player like Carrick, Rafa, Rio, Rooney throughout the season. RVP at one went through 8 or so games without scoring. As for lack of consistent opposition, we were just too consistent for the rest.