Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Finally got around to watching this. Amazing show. Enjoyed it a lot even though some of the earlier parts were confusing as feck.

RT score - 96% from critics but 56% from the audience :houllier: Got to be one of the bigger differences out there.

James_42

Finally got around to watching this. Amazing show. Enjoyed it a lot even though some of the earlier parts were confusing as feck.

RT score - 96% from critics but 56% from the audience :houllier: Got to be one of the bigger differences out there.
The ending was pretty bad, and the way they handled Dr Manhattan was all over the place.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Far too many black actors for them.
This is the actual reason. I remember when it first came out, it was scoring like 6 on IMDB. It's a fantastic piece of TV that was deliberately provocative, and it sure managed to provoke a lot of people who felt that their whiteness (and possibly their masculinity) was under threat.

The ending was pretty bad, and the way they handled Dr Manhattan was all over the place.
The ending wasn't great, but those people had made their minds up looong before then. And I forgive the okay ending, since the show also gave me two of the very best episodes in TV history: This Extraordinary Being and A God Walks into Abar.

phelans shorts

The ending was fairly meh, if a multi season show built up to that end I wouldn’t like it but a single season like Watchmen was and it’s ok. I do think that ties into the other issue though, with Dr Manhattan it’s almost impossible to have any kind of stakes because he’s just so powerful.

You kinda need to have him not really be part of the story but then it’s Watchmen, you can’t just not have Dr. Manhattan.
That may very well be, but the fact is that most of the 0.5/5 reviews are just annoyed by how "woke" it was.
I specifically remember let’s call them, a section of the internet, being very annoyed that the Cavalry were wearing Rorschach masks despite in the graphic novel Rorschach being a racist, misogynistic, overly aggressive well, tosser and the archetype of the alt right.

It’s particularly funny in the case of Watchmen because literally all of them are deeply flawed and should really not be rooted for, and that’s the entire point.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Wannabe comic book gatekeepers who don’t know the politics of the likes of Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman are some of the silliest motherfeckers out there.

“We have never understood the thing we claim to love, and we don’t want it explained to us dammit!”