Television Watchmen (HBO TV series)

Oldyella

This argument has been made on plenty of forums, with the crux being that because he experienced time simultaneously, he is unable to change any of it. But there has never been anything to suggest that he lacks self determination, just that he is inbound by the linear concept of time. If it was established that he had grown weary of his existence, or his experience of love with Angela Abar was contingent on his death, then there would be some sense. Neither of these things appear to be true or are implied.

Angela could have easily attempted to save him, and he still could’ve saved himself. Tbh they tried far too hard to be clever and in the process destroyed the entire point of his character, which underpins this universe. Even if the moment is past, present and future to DrM at all times, in the determination of the action he still could’ve teleported the entire 7K to Jupiter. They tried to create this sense of inevitability about it, but it made no sense.
When he first asks her out in the bar, he states their relationship ends tragically, so their love was definitely contingent on his death. Its exactly what is discussed on the show, for different reasons. Chicken or the egg. If he knew their love would end tragically why even ask her to dinner? Why not just stay on Europa and avoid all of this entirely? Because he already had, just as he had already died, being in each moment simultaneously.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
When he first asks her out in the bar, he states their relationship ends tragically, so their love was definitely contingent on his death. Its exactly what is discussed on the show, for different reasons. Chicken or the egg. If he knew their love would end tragically why even ask her to dinner? Why not just stay on Europa and avoid all of this entirely? Because he already had, just as he had already died, being in each moment simultaneously.
Yes I understand all that. And it could totally have worked. Just make his death believable, instead of preposterous. My problem isn't with the theory, it's with the execution.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I just watched the first episode of this tonight (slow to catch up I guess). Already feel invested in it. Interesting though how it already set the stage that explains why so many boomers think so differently about gender relations - men AND women.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I just watched the last two eps last night - I was a bit late to the party. I can understand your disdain for his demise pans out, but the more I've thought about it, the more it makes sense. It defo works better probably as a self-contained season, but saying that, another one would be cool.

GBBQ

This argument has been made on plenty of forums, with the crux being that because he experienced time simultaneously, he is unable to change any of it. But there has never been anything to suggest that he lacks self determination, just that he is inbound by the linear concept of time. If it was established that he had grown weary of his existence, or his experience of love with Angela Abar was contingent on his death, then there would be some sense. Neither of these things appear to be true or are implied.

Angela could have easily attempted to save him, and he still could’ve saved himself. Tbh they tried far too hard to be clever and in the process destroyed the entire point of his character, which underpins this universe. Even if the moment is past, present and future to DrM at all times, in the determination of the action he still could’ve teleported the entire 7K to Jupiter. They tried to create this sense of inevitability about it, but it made no sense.
But isn't he generally apathetic to everything? His death doesn't mean anything in the greater scheme of things and he comes to the realisation at the end of the graphic novel that everything ends so why fight it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Finally finished this.

Definitely my favorite single season of Television of the 2010s.

People keep talking about Lindelof but David Gibbons presence probably made this as good as it was.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t know about the decade, but it was my favorite this past year for sure.

This was Chernobyl, True Detective S1, GoT S2-4 level excellence by HBO.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don’t know about the decade, but it was my favorite this past year for sure.

This was Chernobyl, True Detective S1, GoT S2-4 level excellence by HBO.
For me I thought True Detective was alright but overrated and the others were really good but not on Watchmen level.

stepic

The show was incredible, the issue I had with the final was the only real reason Lady Trieu needed to be stopped was some vague idea from Ozy that she was a narcissist. Has she really done that much wrong all season? Her point that DrM never used his powers to help with the planet , renewable energy etc is a good one. I mean Ozy was saved by her, she is his daughter, she intends to help the world and he still feels that she can’t be trusted? Why? I didn’t buy that. I didn’t want her plan to be foiled, which tells me her being the ‘baddie’ wasn’t written well enough.

but overall it was amazing television. Great soundtrack too.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The show was incredible, the issue I had with the final was the only real reason Lady Trieu needed to be stopped was some vague idea from Ozy that she was a narcissist. Has she really done that much wrong all season? Her point that DrM never used his powers to help with the planet , renewable energy etc is a good one. I mean Ozy was saved by her, she is his daughter, she intends to help the world and he still feels that she can’t be trusted? Why? I didn’t buy that. I didn’t want her plan to be foiled, which tells me her being the ‘baddie’ wasn’t written well enough.

Think they were going for more than that. Ozy was supposed to be jealous of her having overtaken him in terms of inventions. Don't think it was as simple as the explanation give by him on the show. That is why they needed more time in between the two sequences. As far as Lady Trieu is concerned, I don't think she was a stereotypical villain. Though her killing Dr M to attain her powers definitely is out and out bad even if she was planning to do good with his powers.

stepic

Think they were going for more than that. Ozy was supposed to be jealous of her having overtaken him in terms of inventions. Don't think it was as simple as the explanation give by him on the show. That is why they needed more time in between the two sequences. As far as Lady Trieu is concerned, I don't think she was a stereotypical villain. Though her killing Dr M to attain her powers definitely is out and out bad even if she was planning to do good with his powers.
no worse than Ozy killing 3 million people to save a nuclear war. Dr M was doing sweet feck all with his powers, killing him in order to help the planet was for the greater good. Ozy is the bigger evil here for stopping her, and Dr M is compicit in that by aiding him to do so.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

I thought it was fairly clear she was a little bit mental and had a god complex. She brought her mum back as a clone child. The scene with the family at the house where she created their own child for them then threatened to take it away, effectively playing at being god. Her general arrogance and absurdity. She was quite a narcissistic and cold character. She saw herself and her ability to have control as the only important part of any situation. She also showed no real emotion, even when murdering a large number of people (albeit racists) in the last episode. Compare that to the Hooded Justice episode where he also resorted to murder, but as a direct emotional response after being pushed and pushed by a series of trigger points...and she had I thought a clear distain for America and the occupation of her home country. She mentioned it's how her mother was killed. She was literally called Lady Trieu...named after an actual historical figure who fought for vietnamese people against supression.

I also think part of the point was that nothing really is black and white, which is also part of why Dr Manhattan didn't do the things he could have, because he is flawed the same as everyone else. Anyone who thinks they have the right to do whatever they want in the name of being right, is effectively deciding what is and isn't right and acting as god. So by definition anyone who wants that power shouldn't be allowed to have it. I think Ozy pretty much said exactly this and then said "takes one to know one" in reference to Trieu. When you think about it this does sum up Trieu and her behaviour throughout the series. Her plan was effectively to become god.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks like we’re only getting the one season after all. Oh well, it was a fantastic season anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just finished it. Really enjoyed it, some amazing episodes along the way (notably the flashback one and A God walks into Abar).

Glad to see @Mockney has finally come around regarding Lindelof. Have you watched The Leftovers yet Mockers?

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
This was good. Nice cinematography, good performances all round (especially Irons as Ozymandias), and good incorporation of historical events like the original story. But I do feel that in the same way Snyder loves Rorschach more than Moore did, Lindelof is too big a fan of Ozy. While the graphic novel isn't clear about which of the Minutemen is in the right, this show seems to assume that Adrian actually did save humanity. It would seem that his only flaw is being an asshole that no one can tolerate.

Redplane

Not surprising. Same with a bunch of some of the other nominations. Obviously not someone who criticizes attention to real racial issues and that it wasnt a great show - but Hollywood I'm sure will do some considerable pandering with their awards this year. Expecting Little Fires Everywhere to win some awards too for instance.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not surprising. Same with a bunch of some of the other nominations. Obviously not someone who criticizes attention to real racial issues and that it wasnt a great show - but Hollywood I'm sure will do some considerable pandering with their awards this year. Expecting Little Fires Everywhere to win some awards too for instance.
Don't be so ridiculous. The show was amazing. I'd say the only thing as good as it I've seen this year was Succession, which also got a feck-tonne of nominations.

crappycraperson

Scout
What a bizarre thing to say. This was one of the best TV shows of the year. Little Fires Everywhere is in the same category as Watchmen and Mrs America so I don't see it winning any awards except may be best actress one for Kerry Washignton if she beats out Regina King or Cate Blanchett.

Redplane

Not sure why it's seen as such a bizarre thing to say. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood or any other industry does it for that matter, and it won't be the last. I don't disagree it was a great show but I disagree that it was head and shoulders above some of the other mentions, or at least the amount of nominations is disproportionately high imho. Kerry Washington should be a shoe in for best supporting actress.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't think Hollywood has anything to do with the Emmy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not sure why it's seen as such a bizarre thing to say. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood or any other industry does it for that matter, and it won't be the last. I don't disagree it was a great show but I disagree that it was head and shoulders above some of the other mentions, or at least the amount of nominations is disproportionately high imho. Kerry Washington should be a shoe in for best supporting actress.
It wouldn't be a bizarre thing to say if it wasn't as good as it is and didn't deserve all those nominations based on merit.

But it is so it's a bizarre thing to say

crappycraperson

Scout
Kerry Washington has been nominated for best actress not supporting one.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I have to leave it here: not my kind of beer.
The whole show was rather disappointing.
The story, the pace, the characters felt misconstrued to me.
The movie - although just good - was way better than this series.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Rewatching this at the moment and flying through it. It's holding up really well to a second viewing, apart from the odd slightly grating moments of exposition-dressed-as-worldweariness.

The soundtrack is still absolutely savage too.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Every time this is bumped I’m excited thinking that a second season has been announced (even though they said it’ll be 1 season only - and rightfully so, as it’d probably result in a massive drop in quality).

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Just watched the movie - it was a bit disturbing. I am both impressed with and terrified of Jackie Earle Haley. What a performance. Planning on starting the series now.