Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Let's be honest, he was behaving like a cnut out there. Yes, he played quite well, but hey, he's a good footballer, so that's to be expected... still no reason to throw a mini strop every time he didn't get the ball or a pass went awry. Not only that, but not even going over to congratulate a goalscorer or applaud the fans is so fecking pathetic it's a bit of a joke.

He played well, so fecking what... there's more to bring a United player then that... he can either grow up, or he can feck off for my money.

Dominos

Bob Cass now backing up the Daniel Taylor report - Rooney will not be sold this summer. Also added Rooney's aware of the fact and has accepted it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Once the window closes, I wish I could be bothered to dig up all the posts on here categorically stating he wont be at the club this coming season as if they had an authority of knowledge on the matter. One thing's for sure, I'll be sure to remind Devilish when he's left with egg on his face.

The Neviller

As you can see from Van Persie being there, that photo was taken after out third goal when Rooney didn't get fouled on the build up. He got fouled for the last goal (when RVP was off the pitch and couldn't be on the photo). It's poor behavior not celebrating with the team. Or not applauding the fans after they gave him a good support that he actually doesn't deserve.

Doesn't mean that we wouldn't score those goals without him. Especially the third one.
That's a stupid argument, Revan. We might have scored anyway is a silly way to dismiss a players impact. You could say that about every single thing every footballer does, ever.

Revan

Assumptionman
By the same logic we might have won this game without van Persie. The fact is Rooney provided two assists in a short space of time to help us put the game to rest. If you're a football fan, that's what matters. If you're a reality TV fan, carry on 'analysing his body language'.
No, because it is a bit different making a pass 30m away from the goal to scoring from almost nothing like RVP did at the first half, or scoring from 20m in Rooney's assists. It's very possible that we would have won without Rooney today (especially considering that we were 2-0 when he got in the pitch) but not near as likely that we would have won without RVP who was the best player in the pitch and scored 2 wonderful goals, the first one when Swansea were dominating us.

'Analyzing his body language'? You think that it's not important that he acted the cnut, didn't celebrate the goals and was the only player to applause the fans ? Really?

Revan

Assumptionman
That's a stupid argument, Revan. We might have scored anyway is a silly way to dismiss a players impact. You could say that about every single thing every footballer does, ever.
He's impact was when we were leading 2-0 and we were controlling the match. It wasn't like we were losing and the superhero Rooney came on, made an inspiring performance that won us the match. We would have won with or without him, that was my point.

Dominos

'Analyzing his body language'? You think that it's not important that he acted the cnut, didn't celebrate the goals and was the only player to applause the fans ? Really?
Really.

There's a Big Brother thread in the entertainment forum that might be more to your tastes. Grown men getting upset and hysterical because a football player didn't display his happiness sufficiently is a tad embarrassing, no?

Brightonian

No, because it is a bit different making a pass 30m away from the goal to scoring from almost nothing like RVP did at the first half, or scoring from 20m in Rooney's assists. It's very possible that we would have won without Rooney today (especially considering that we were 2-0 when he got in the pitch) but not near as likely that we would have won without RVP who was the best player in the pitch and scored 2 wonderful goals, the first one when Swansea were dominating us.
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with my point. I wasn't saying Rooney was better than RVP, obviously. I was saying that he came on and may an important contribution of two assists, and that it's obviously silly to say 'but someone else might have made those assists', because someone else might have scored goals, too. He made those assists. He played good football. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I find it hard to care much about all this media-fuelled 'how is Wayne feeling, is Wayne being grumpy, is he a nice man?' bollocks if he's playing well. It's a football match, not an episode of Corrie.

Revan

Assumptionman
Really.

There's a Big Brother thread in the entertainment forum that might be more to your tastes. Grown men getting upset and hysterical because a football player didn't display his happiness sufficiently is a tad embarrassing, no?
No, it isn't embarrassing. It is embarrassing for a footballer who gets 200k+ per week to not celebrate when a teammate scores a goal and to not applause the fans who gave him a strong support (after he wanted to leave for the second time in three years).

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I find it hard to care much about all this media-fuelled 'how is Wayne feeling, is Wayne being grumpy, is he a nice man?' bollocks if he's playing well. It's a football match, not an episode of Corrie.

I don't care if he is a nice man or not, I want every United player to act respectfully and to not behave like a twat on the pitch. noodle had a good point some days ago when he said that Moyes should get rid of him before he loses the dressing room. Not celebrating with other players could be a step into players choosing sides.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Really.

Not really... having players who don't want to play for your club, and then obviously act out because of it whilst playing? That's embarrassing.

Believing that such a player playing for your team is detrimental and that we would much better be served having players who actually want to play for us and be here for years to come taking up places in our team? That's logical.

Being all high and mighty/patronizing other people for holding this view? That's cnutish.

Brightonian

Not really... having players who don't want to play for your club, and then obviously act out because of it whilst playing? That's embarrassing.
I know, I hate it when the petulant little shits play well and help us to score goals. I had to watch Welbeck's goal through my fingers because I found Rooney's involvement in it so embarrassing.

I'm with Dominos. A lot of you guys treat football too much like Big Brother. The media should probably take a lot of the blame. Sometimes these days the back pages are almost indistinguishable from O.K. magazine.

The Neviller

He's impact was when we were leading 2-0 and we were controlling the match. It wasn't like we were losing and the superhero Rooney came on, made an inspiring performance that won us the match. We would have won with or without him, that was my point.
It isn't what you said. You said we might have scored the last two goals whether he played or not. You can say that about anything any footballer ever does.

Revan

Assumptionman
I know, I hate it when the petulant little shits play well and help us to score goals. I had to watch Welbeck's goal through my fingers because I found Rooney's involvement in it so embarrassing.

I'm with Dominos. A lot of you guys treat football too much like Big Brother. The media should probably take a lot of the blame. Sometimes these days the back pages are almost indistinguishable from O.K. magazine.
I have never watched Big Brother (or any other stupid reality show) and cause I am not English, usually the Caf is the only source of United info, which means that I don't read the English papers or watch a lot of English TV and media doesn't brainwash me. Hell I never watch TV outside of football. And I don't see footballers as role models, not at all. Does this make me a bad person not likeing the behavior of a United player who acted the twat today?

The Neviller

No, it isn't embarrassing. It is embarrassing for a footballer who gets 200k+ per week to not celebrate when a teammate scores a goal and to not applause the fans who gave him a strong support (after he wanted to leave for the second time in three years).
No it isn't. Footballers play football, they are there to do a job. Yes, its great when they love the club they play for and show it, but they aren't fans. They're footballers, there to do something they are paid a lot of money for. And if they do it effectively then in reality it doesn't really matter how many kisses they blow to the fans when they or their teammates score. Doesn't sound very romantic, but that's the harsh truth of it.

What's embarrassing about it? We're all very easily embarrassed of late.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
No, it isn't embarrassing; it's a fecking poor show though.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Embarrassing for him, sure... I'd be incredibly embarrassed if I was Wayne Rooney. I mean, it's not as if he doesn't like these people he's playing on the same team with - he works with them day in and day out... so to not even congratulate your fellow professional on scoring and doing well? He's clearly just being petty in the extreme... wanting to make a statement with good actions.

You and dominoes are being pathetically high and mighty about this. It's Obvious why someone would be annoyed by this sort of behaviour from a United player, and the thinking behind us rather giving that place to someone who actually wants to play for us.

Whether it bothers you or not is your opinion, but no need to criticise others for holding opinions to the contrary, especially when there is solid reasoning behind it.

MJJ

No it isn't. Footballers play football, they are there to do a job. Yes, its great when they love the club they play for and show it, but they aren't fans. They're footballers, there to do a job. And if they do it effectively then in reality it doesn't really matter how many kisses they blow to the fans when they or their teammates score.

And just like any other job, when one person is clearly sulking and making it obvious he doesnt want to be there it ruins the mood. At the least I would expect him to be professional and just get it own with. He is clearly sending a message with his behaviour, much like ronaldo in his last season with us although to a lesser degree.

I dont expect him to behave like a fan but some kind of professionalism will be much appreciated.

The Neviller

And just like any other job, when one person is clearly sulking and making it obvious he doesnt want to be their it ruins the mood. At the least I would expect him to be professional and just get it own with. He is clearly sending a message with his behaviour, much like ronaldo in his last season with us although to a lesser degree.

I dont expect him to behave like a fan but some kind of professionalism will be much appreciated.
Professional is exactly what he was. He came on, did his job and then went home again.

Revan

Assumptionman
No it isn't. Footballers play football, they are there to do a job. Yes, its great when they love the club they play for and show it, but they aren't fans. They're footballers, there to do a job. And if they do it effectively then in reality it doesn't really matter how many kisses they blow to the fans when they or their teammates score.

While I agree that 'embarrassing' wasn't the right word and to be fair used it only in a reply to someone who called me embarrassing for not liking the way Rooney acted, and while I don't agree how much a player loves the club, I don't find 'professional' the way Rooney acted. Football is a group game and Rooney wasn't part of the group. I don't think that our path to glory is by playing players who don't want to be part of the group.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)

Your talking to Raven here, it's disrespectful nothing more nothing less. The last goal he got fecking clattered and there could also be a reason for our 3rd.

Some players are class acts with the fans (RvP holding onto the number 20), Ollie. The likes of Rooney will never be that way. Personally I don't give a feck as long as hes doing it on the pitch. All this uncertainty is doing nobody any favors, most of all some of the feckwits on here.

Brightonian

You and dominoes are being pathetically high and mighty about this.
Try going back to a time when football was a bit more sane and telling them that caring about how your team does on the pitch and not whether the players are all BFFs is 'being pathetically high and mighty.'

While I agree that 'embarrassing' wasn't the right word and to be fair used it only in a reply to someone who called me embarrassing for not liking the way Rooney acted, and while I don't agree how much a player loves the club, I don't find 'professional' the way Rooney acted. Football is a group game and Rooney wasn't part of the group. I don't think that our path to glory is by playing players who don't want to be part of the group.
I agree that it wasn't professional. I just don't care too much.

If Rooney isn't sold (which he clearly won't be) and then has a good few matches, this will all very quickly go away. Not for the fans, who are obsessed with this sort of thing. But for the players. I guarantee you Rooney wasn't being a dick to those players - who are, after all, his friends - in the changing room. He was just being deliberately surly for the fans, manager and cameras to see.

Once the issue that is leading him to act this way (childishly, yes) goes away, he'll be as much a part of the dressing room as ever. This temporary snarl-up is not going to cause factionism, or upset, or anything like that. It didn't even affect his own performance. So for me, it's nothing to get all worked up about.

MJJ

Professional is exactly what he was. He came on, did his job and then went home again.
Not really. A true professional would hide his emotions better and not act like a child who is not getting his way.He signed a contract(that he raised a fuss over for) now the least he can do is honor it without acting like its such a big chore. Read the article in the guardian about baines to see professionalism.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/17/leighton-baines-transfer-window

The Neviller

Embarrassing for him, sure... I'd be incredibly embarrassed if I was Wayne Rooney. I mean, it's not as if he doesn't like these people he's playing on the same team with - he works with them day in and day out... so to not even congratulate your fellow professional on scoring and doing well? He's clearly just being petty in the extreme... wanting to make a statement with good actions.

You and dominoes are being pathetically high and mighty about this. It's Obvious why someone would be annoyed by this sort of behaviour from a United player, and the thinking behind us rather giving that place to someone who actually wants to play for us.

Whether it bothers you or not is your opinion, but no need to criticise others for holding opinions to the contrary, especially when there is solid reasoning behind it.
I know you weren't talking to me, but I've nothing against criticism. Its the ease with which people are embarrassed that amazes me.

"Wayne Rooney didn't celebrate, how embarrassing", "We tried to sign Fabregas, how embarrassing", "Woodward is doing something and we don't know what it is, how embarrassing".

And these are adults posting this shit.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

what?

The Neviller

He did his job. He came on, played football. Provided two assists (the first one, meh, it was all RVP, but he gave the ball and made a great run to pull players away and give RVP a run to use as a decoy). That's his job, as a professional footballer. To play football effectively. He did that, nothing more, nothing less.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There seems to be an assumption by many that Rooney not celebrating goals and not giving acknowledgement to the fans is down to him sulking. I don't think we have enough information to say this is the case.

The rumours are that the rest of the playing staff are less than pleased with Wayne, currently. He may not feel welcome celebrating with them. A lot of fans, me included, want him to leave the club. I think it's understandable that, in such circumstances, he could be apprehensive about interaction with our supporters.

I can think of many reasons to criticise Wayne Rooney. I do just that, regularly. I didn't see any today.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Try going back to a time when football was a bit more sane and telling them that caring about how your team does on the pitch and not whether the players are all BFFs is 'being pathetically high and mighty.'
So if we had a team of players, who didn't really care for playing for United, and never celebrated any goal and generally spent the whole game looking like they'd rather be somewhere else, you'd be happy with that?

If so, great, good for you... personally I prefer my football with passion, and a sense that these players want to win this game for the bloke next to them and the guy in the stand, but then maybe I'm an idealist... still, that's how I see things, and if you honestly think that's an opinion worth criticising and one born from the back page of newspapers, then fair enough. I'd say that's a bit remiss though wouldn't you?

I don't need Rooney to be best mates with anyone... but to congratulate your teammates on a job well done? Or applaud the fans that pay your wages for showing their support? Or not throw a strop every minute on the pitch? That's just generic behaviour you'd expect.

Revan

Assumptionman
He did his job. He came on, played football. Provided two assists (the first one, meh, it was all RVP, but he gave the ball and made a great run to pull players away and give RVP a run to use as a decoy). That's his job, as a professional footballer. To play football effectively. He did that, nothing more, nothing less.
I think that a footballer's job (especially an expensive one) is a way more complex than getting in the pitch and playing football. Feel free to disagree with me, but I think that it is very important how players behave on the team, how they respect others and how they create an atmosphere within the group. We always said that United team is more than the sum of it's players, surely if players act like Rooney this statement mustn't be true.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Not that it really interests any of you but i had to leave for dinner twenty minute before the end of the match, and as a result missed most of Rooney's time on the pitch. I did have some text commentary read to me mind you and one of the possible questions is whether an existing player or likely purchase could replace such assists? I do believe that we could but that's JMO of course.

I wasn't aware of this lack of celebrating until reeding the Caf a moment ago, unless eh ash fallen out with the specific player concerned why can't he damn well front up and submit a written transfer request?

The Neviller

Not really. A true professional would hide his emotions better and not act like a child who is not getting his way.He signed a contract(that he raised a fuss over for) now the least he can do is honor it without acting like its such a big chore. Read the article in the guardian about baines to see professionalism.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/17/leighton-baines-transfer-window
He's said nothing on the issue. Suarez, as an example, has acted unprofessionally, gobbing off about promises being broken and wanting to leave. Rooney has said nothing, has got on with his job which is to play football. That's it. I don't go to work every day full of the joys, pat all my work mates on the back and tell them how wonderfully they've done. I do my job though, professionally, because its what I'm paid to do. Today, Rooney did what he is paid to do.

Revan

Assumptionman
So if we had a team of players, who didn't really care for posting for United, and never celebrated any goal and generally spent the whole game looking like they'd rather be somewhere else, you'd be happy with that?

If so, great, good for you... personally I prefer my football with passion, and a sense that these players want to win this game for the bloke next to them and the guy in the stand, but then maybe I'm an idealist... still, that's how I see things, and if you honestly think that's an opinion worth criticising and one born from the back page of newspapers, then fair enough. I'd say that's a bit remiss though wouldn't you?

I don't need Rooney to be best mates with anyone... but to congratulate your teammates on a job well done? Or applaud the fans that pay your wages for showing there support? Or not throw a strip every minute on the pitch? That's just generic behaviour you'd expect.
Exactly. No-one was expecting him to kiss the badge, lie us how much he loves United and play without wages. Just to act like other normal professional players acted there.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I know you weren't talking to me, but I've nothing against criticism. Its the ease with which people are embarrassed that amazes me.

"Wayne Rooney didn't celebrate, how embarrassing", "We tried to sign Fabregas, how embarrassing", "Woodward is doing something and we don't know what it is, how embarrassing".

And these are adults posting this shit.
I used embarrassed because someone else did and i was reusing it to make a point. I agree with what you're saying though. Personally I'd call his behaviour petty and pathetic, which by virtue means, if I were him, I would be embarrassed... but I'm not him, and he most likely doesn't give a flying feck.

Status
Not open for further replies.