Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
When is the last time Rooney has scored a goal like the one at OT against Milan in 2007?

Am I being unfair to say he doesn't shoot on site quite like he used to?

His goal starts at 9:12

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
When is the last time Rooney has scored a goal like the one at OT against Milan in 2007?

Am I being unfair to say he doesn't shoot on site quite like he used to?

His goal starts at 9:12

Rooney used to bang more long rangers in in those days but he was actually a pretty shit finisher and used to miss all kinds of sitters.

Now Rooney is absolutely deadly infront of goal. Ole and Owen must have had a word. If Rooney gets a chance in the box, it's in.

Rooney 2012 > Rooney 2007. Fact. End of.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
4 really nice goals from range here (Fulham, Bilbao, Arsenal x 2).

Whereas here you've got that one screamer against Newcastle in 04/05, the marvellous chip in 05/06, the beauty against Bolton in 06/07...

...obviously it's missing out some pretty significant cup goals. Still, I think he's done pretty well from range this year. The goal against Fulham was pretty special. The Bilbao goal too.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If anything, I think it's good that Rooney no longer goes for those screamer type goals constantly. What he now lacks in box office finishes he has more than made up for in being a lot more clinical than he once was in front of goal.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It wasn't so much that he shot from distance that I liked, it's that he got in behind the defense, made one strong move to get some space from his defender and then took a shot as soon as he got into a decent position.

I guess I feel like he often passes up a decent shot like that one to get a better one, and too often our build up is so slow that we don't have much space to operate in once we get into the final third.

Usually I want a player's head up looking for an opportunity, but sometimes I wish Rooney would just put his head down, make one strong move to get some room and unleash a shot. There's something to be said for being selfish sometimes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed, sometimes i feel he tries to overpass when at times he should just put his foot through the ball and test the keeper, he has such great power but he always trys to curl the ball recently from long range, something that i think is alot easier for keepers to save unless top corner.

Member 5225

Rooney 2012 > Rooney 2007. Fact. End of.
:rolleyes: - not really.

His explosive finishing was one of the key reasons he was such a handful when he came onto the scene - he's okay-ish now. Basically, a lot of other strikers can do what he seems to do well these days.

Chabon

His explosive finishing was one of the key reasons he was such a handful when he came onto the scene - he's okay-ish now. Basically, a lot of other strikers can do what he seems to do well these days.
Yeah, his "explosive finishing", which lead to half as many goals as he scores now.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

His form dipped a tad this season just gone. He more than made up for that in goals though.

The season before though, in the last 3 months was the best Rooney we have ever seen. Do you not remember is performances against Chelsea in particular?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
season passed he was much more flairy, more of a playmaker behind the finisher who was RVN.

Now he is the man who is relied upon to score the goals, so he has become more clinical but lost alot of his flair and unpredictability. Its a shame he could not mix a bit of the 2, the injuries have robbed him of a bit of pace / agility, but he is still 1 hell of a player.

Vibhas

Some people will only appreciate how devastatingly complete and good a striker he was, in 5-7 years when he's gone.

However, I hope most people will, after next season, appreciate really how good him and DDG are. No doubts after next seasons completion, hopefully.

Really hope he does magnificent and leaves no doubt it any sane minds as to how he's the best centre forward in the world, after that midget.

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't get the whining about him not scoring long range goals anymore. He's got more than a couple this year.

Jaap

I'm willing to bet that rooney scorer more long range goals last season than in any previous season for United. Screamer against villa, curler against Atletico, the two free-kicks against Arsenal... I'm sure that's not all too. Anyone?
Fulham away springs to mind.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Was standing right behind that goal at Craven Cottage. Cracker.

Bape

Given Kagawa's signing, we might see the Rooney of 09-10 a lot more next season, which means a lot more clinical finishing inside the box and less long range of last season. Of course, a combination of both would be ideal

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In relation to what I said last season, I think Rooney has a battle on his hands this coming season, regardless of whether Van Persie signs or not.

Having watched Kagawa in our team, I think he is standing out big time and is doing things that Rooney has either never been able to do, or has struggled to do for at least a year now. For me, Rooney has somehow gone backwards in certain aspects of his game, particularly his first time passing and ball control. These are areas in which Kagawa is very good and I think over the season he will become the obvious choice in that no.10 role.

Further to that, his link up ability with the likes of Welbeck, Nani and Cleverley could potentially see us playing some brilliant football. I think Welbeck is going to be even better this season and it is therefore a big season for Rooney. His performances have been underwhelming for much of last season, the Euro's and now pre-season. I keep hearing the commentators saying how Rooney looks rusty, but he's playing how he did last season, just without the goals.

How do others think he'll fare this season? Is anyone worried about his general play over the last year?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In relation to what I said last season, I think Rooney has a battle on his hands this coming season, regardless of whether Van Persie signs or not.

Having watched Kagawa in our team, I think he is standing out big time and is doing things that Rooney has either never been able to do, or has struggled to do for at least a year now. For me, Rooney has somehow gone backwards in certain aspects of his game, particularly his first time passing and ball control. These are areas in which Kagawa is very good and I think over the season he will become the obvious choice in that no.10 role.

Further to that, his link up ability with the likes of Welbeck, Nani and Cleverley could potentially see us playing some brilliant football. I think Welbeck is going to be even better this season and it is therefore a big season for Rooney. His performances have been underwhelming for much of last season, the Euro's and now pre-season. I keep hearing the commentators saying how Rooney looks rusty, but he's playing how he did last season, just without the goals.

How do others think he'll fare this season? Is anyone worried about his general play over the last year?
46 assists and 104 goals over the last 4 seasons. That's an average of 26 goals and 11 assists per season (35 and 6 in the season just ended). I see no reason for this productivity to decrease if he has better players around him. In fact, I'd say the exact opposite will happen.

Godfather

Got to admit that he frustrates the feck out of me. Sometimes his touch can be so heavy one would think this guy's a pub footballer and then again he plays passes or scores goals like a genius.

Still I don't think that the signing of Kagawa will influence how much time he will get. He will probably be used up front on his own more though.

Will Absolute

Rooney seems to offer less and less over time. There's not much left of the 19 y.o wunderkind.

First to go was his amazing powerhouse shooting from range, dribbling and close control. Then he lost a lot of his pace and power. Over the last year even his passing has become erratic. He seems to be degenerating into something close to a goal poacher, pure and simple.

VoetbalWizard

i am not that big of a fan of rooney's but with kagawa behind him, fit nani and valencia, young on the bench, scholes from the get-go, potential RvP to partner, a more experience Welbz.....rooney could have his statistically best season yet (domestically at least).

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I remember that game against Villa last season, we won 4-0 and Rooney scored twice. That was probably the worst he's played in years for us, but he still ended up scoring 2 scrappy goals. That is how i see him more now, a goalscorer and not as much of a creator. He still has flashes of brilliance when playing in the hole but it's too hit or miss and his lower level is pretty shocking (his touch, passing and movement) and that's why i think Fergie brought in Kagawa to take the pressure off Rooney a bit. He will play more as a pure frontman from now on, which is a good thing because last time he did that he scored over 30 goals.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Rooney seems to offer less and less over time. There's not much left of the 19 y.o wunderkind.

First to go was his amazing powerhouse shooting from range, dribbling and close control. Then he lost a lot of his pace and power. Over the last year even his passing has become erratic. He seems to be degenerating into something close to a goal poacher, pure and simple.
Interesting.

In effect, he's the footballing equivalent of Benjamin Button.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

So he offers less and less, whilst scoring more and more goals. Playing as a striker. Whose primary purpose is to score goals. Along with being heavily involved in all our football, completing more passes/game than someone like RvP - by a huge margin.

Something doesn't compute...

Godfather

I remember that game against Villa last season, we won 4-0 and Rooney scored twice. That was probably the worst he's played in years for us, but he still ended up scoring 2 scrappy goals. That is how i see him more now, a goalscorer and not as much of a creator. He still has flashes of brilliance when playing in the hole but it's too hit or miss and his lower level is pretty shocking (his touch, passing and movement) and that's why i think Fergie brought in Kagawa to take the pressure off Rooney a bit. He will play more as a pure frontman from now on, which is a good thing because last time he did that he scored over 30 goals.
I'd agree with this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think his general play is nowhere near what I thought it would be when he first broke through as a teenager. He's not a spectacular footballer in that he doesn't do brilliant things consistently the way someone like Van Persie did last season or Ronaldo did all the time for us before, but he is very effective and still a top player.

In fact, what he is now, for me, is a player who should lead the line. He's become a fine finisher and as always, someone who thinks very quickly. But dribbling, close control in tight spaces is not of the highest quality and for that reason it makes complete sense for him to move further forward with Kagawa in behind him. That doesn't mean Rooney will just hang around waiting for chances. He's too complete a player to just do that.

So I hope we use the Rooney-Kagawa combination as I see it being devastating. But I don't see any worries regarding his place in our side. He is and will remain hugely important I don't see the likes of Welbeck and Hernandez threatening that any time soon.

Godfather

The thing is, he scored over 30 goals last season too.

He's an incredibly versatile footballer and can put in top performances in a number of different positions. Which will be really important, if we sign RvP as well as Kagawa.
True as well. There will be a lot of rotating. Also during a game. Kagawa, Rooney, RvP (when we get him) are all capable of playing each other's position. Would be exciting to watch.

Cina

Some of his passing and link up play last season was brilliant. It was only after Scholes came back and we no longer actually had a midfielder playing in the opposition half to link up to him that he lost that, and a lot of it was to do with us just pinging hopeful balls out to the wingers all the time.

With Kagawa in the team I think we'll see that again.

I don't buy that he's lost a lot as a footballer now, do people not remember how good he was in the 10/11 run in?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Some of his passing and link up play last season was brilliant. It was only after Scholes came back and we no longer actually had a midfielder playing in the opposition half to link up to him that he lost that, and a lot of it was to do with us just pinging hopeful balls out to the wingers all the time.

With Kagawa in the team I think we'll see that again.

I don't buy that he's lost a lot as a footballer now, do people not remember how good he was in the 10/11 run in?
For all the (deserved) acclaim going to the likes of Anderson and Cleverley in the opening games of last season, Rooney was absolutely magnificent. The most consistently effective spell I've seen from him in a United shirt.

204Red

The thing is, he scored over 30 goals last season too.

He's an incredibly versatile footballer and can put in top performances in a number of different positions. Which will be really important, if we sign RvP as well as Kagawa.

The thing is... although he does score a significant number of goals (which can not be dismissed as easily as many of Rooney's critics would like), the decline in his overall play and his ascension to role of "goal scorer" means his overall influence on matches has become less and less. Particularly in clutch or big matches. Sadly when United lose a big match (like Basel away or City away or Wigan away) Rooney is often one of our worse performers... that's what I think many find the most troubling.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Lots of hate for Young and Rooney because of the Euros.

feck the Euros.

Rooney had 27 feckin league goals last season. Yes his touch was off at times but he scored is pretty much every big game he played in.

He barely misses chances anymore and quickly worked on his penalties after he missed a few.

The teenaged Rooney is overrated on here. He was very exciting to watch but missed easy chances all the time and was a red carding waiting to happen almost every match.

Rooney is the best striker and most versatile striker in England. We would be fecked without him. The contract saga was in 2010. Fergie has accepted him back, the Old Trafford fans have too. Move on.

Brilliant player who is key to our success.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

feck the Euros.

Rooney had 27 feckin league goals last season. Yes his touch was off at times but he scored is pretty much every big game he played in.

He barely misses chances anymore and quickly worked on his penalties after he missed a few.

The teenaged Rooney is overrated on here. He was very exciting to watch but missed easy chances all the time and was a red carding waiting to happen almost every match.

Rooney is the best striker and most versatile striker in England. We would be fecked without him. The contract saga was in 2010. Fergie has accepted him back, the Old Trafford fans have too. Move on.

Brilliant player who is key to our success.
I don't think people are suggesting he was a better player when he was a teenager. He's more effective player today. But he was explosive. Unbelievably so.

And him being the best striker in England is debatable. I personally think it's Van Persie.

Varun

Staff
I don't think people are suggesting he was a better player when he was a teenager. He's more effective player today. But he was explosive. Unbelievably so.

And him being the best striker in England is debatable. I personally think it's Van Persie.
Given a choice, would you swap the 2? All loyalties aside..

204Red

feck the Euros.
I agree completely with that sentiment.

Couldn't disagree more... not only did he not score he was absolutley dire in some of those matches... Basel away, City away, Wigan away

Status
Not open for further replies.