Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wizard

I'd rather keep Rooney and have him not play football for two years then sell him to Chelsea for anything less then 40m.

I think this is closer to what might happen actually than most people give credit to. I am not saying he's going to be left in the reserves, (because we use our reserves for upcoming players) but I think for sure the Glazers aren't any kind of pushovers, and not to be messed around with and I think Rooney is about to find that out big time. First time he had a fit we placated him because we wanted to keep him. Clearly it's a different case this time around, and Rooney has zero bargaining power.

We are Manchester United the biggest and most powerful club in the country (we own the refs and FA if you are to believe the garbage from rival fans), and if Chelsea think they can offer £23 and £25 million bids for a player like Rooney they have another thing coming. You only need to look at what Dortmund have done with Lewandowskito see how this is going to play out. I think we are well aware of the fact that Rooney could spark into life at Chelsea; it's the fittest he's been in 5/6 years apparently... wow what a coincidence he worked so hard on his fitness over this particular summer.

I think it’s the Glazers would be more than willing to take the hit on wages and that very low transfer fee, just to keep Rooney out of the hands of Chelsea. It would be worth it. I think if Chelsea have ANY chance of getting Rooney then they would been to bid a mental amount of cash AND Rooney would have to wave any cash remaining on his contract. OR… Moyes simply intervenes and says he doesn’t want Rooney around. Rooney has got nothing here, and the desperate way his agent is leaking stories to the press every 3 days proves it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This doesn't make sense and isn't true. What if a player has a five years contract with his club and is on 200k/week. The club sells him for 40m but does this mean that the club has to pay 50m to that player?

Players get a fixed amount of money as a loyalty bonuses from the club. I don't think that they are so high, probably a couple of millions or so.
Hence I said "or settle a fee".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Given what we've paid in the past and what other players are being sold for currently, I would be pleased to get him Rooney from you for £40 million.
40's the base mind... really we should be expecting something towards the mid 40's, going up to 50 with add-ons and whatever else they throw into these transfers.

It also has to rely on us having our other targets sorted out.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm with you on this. We can let him run down his contract and let him go on a free in 2 years rather then sell him to Chelsea now.
No, we can't. 25m on wages and a potential 30-35m on transfer means that we'll lose 55-60m on him. That's a lot of money.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
No, we can't. 25m on wages and a potential 30-35m on transfer means that we'll lose 55-60m on him. That's a lot of money.

We wont be letting him rot in the reserves, he will be getting his game if he puts the effort in. He has to, because of the World Cup and his sponsors wont be happy either if he is not getting regular game time. We hold all the cards in this game.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.

We also need to think of the cost of us letting him go to Chel$ki and that move meaning they win the league.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
And if we strengthen Chelsea and they win the league, he much do we lose out on then? No I say we keep him, unless of course they offer mata in the deal.

In fact feck £10m, if they want Rooney so bad they can give us £20m and Mata. Not that that would be a good deal for them in the slightest.

Revan

Assumptionman
We also need to think of the cost of us letting him go to Chel$ki and that move meaning they win the league.
Selling him to Chelski doesn't mean that Chelsea will win the league. Even with a Rooney on form the league will be tough to win and there isn't any guarantee that Rooney will be on form/or fit.

In fact feck £10m, if they want Rooney so bad they can give us £20m and Mata. Not that that would be a good deal for them in the slightest.
Yeah, I would like Hazard, Oscar, Mata and Roman's companies for Rooney, but Mata is the better player right now, is younger and is on lower wages. I would be delighted for a straight swap.

x42bn6

From a pure cashflow perspective, we would lose out on his marketing and promotional revenue, and potentially prize money/prestige if Rooney leads Chelsea to trophies.

Personally, I think we need to replace him if he leaves and I don't think we can in this window. I therefore think that even something like £40m as an initial bid isn't enough, all things considered.

hp88

We wont be letting him rot in the reserves, he will be getting his game if he puts the effort in. He has to, because of the World Cup and his sponsors wont be happy either if he is not getting regular game time. We hold all the cards in this game.
If we stop him from leaving I think it will affect his form on the pitch which is why I would prefer see a unhappy player leave the club.

Revan

Assumptionman
From a pure cashflow perspective, we would lose out on his marketing and promotional revenue, and potentially prize money/prestige if Rooney leads Chelsea to trophies.

Personally, I think we need to replace him if he leaves and I don't think we can in this window. I therefore think that even something like £40m as an initial bid isn't enough, all things considered.
We won't lose on his marketing. The option I replied was keeping Rooney only for the sake of keeping him. AN! said that we should keep Rooney and not play him unless Chelsea pays 40m, something Livewire supported and then I replied. You don't get any marketing money for someone who doesn't play for two years.

Rooney should not be replaced on attacking department. We have replaced him last year with two players there. It is like if we sign two defenders this year and then in next summer Rio retires so we say that we have to replace him. No, he has been replaced and even without Rooney players like Chicha and Welbeck will fight for the first reserve striker position.

40m for a player who didn't play that well in last season, has some fitness problems, is a cnut, almost 28 years old, there is only one club interested on him and wants to leave is a very good fee.

Revan

Assumptionman
And will be worth it rather than selling to Chelsea.
Rooney should be sold. Preferably abroad but no-one is interested on him, which means that he should be sold to Chelsea. We should get as much money as possible but running down his contract isn't an option, neither getting 50m+ for him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it your money?
The great argument comes again. The club has limited money. If we lose 60m on Rooney means that we won't have a big amount of money (not necessarily 60m) that we won't have to spend on other players/club facilities etc.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
w8, genuinely, what are your thoughts on Wayne now? Are they still the same as before, in the sense you think it's rubbish and he doesn't want to leave? If so, what's changed?

Man-United

I don't think any player should be kept against his wish. If Rooney don't want to stay at our favourite club, he should feck off.

Shame we play Chelsea at OT already in the first home game, would have loved to see him get a worse treatment than Tevez.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I wouldn't hate Rooney wanting to leave (for Chelsea). I'm just frustrated that we haven't sorted it out yet. There have been reports (who knows if true) that Moyes has had discussions with Rooney 5 or 6 times. I don't know WTF there is to talk about. If Rooney wishes to leave for Chelsea, then we should let him go for no less than £40m. And if we are so obsessed about his "strengthening" a competitor, then we can at least insist on his not playing against us at OT on 26 August.

For me, he has regressed. It's no good pointing out that he had a good season last year "considering"...

If we have to replace Rooney with another forward, fine, start looking. It will also be an opportunity to give Welbeck and Chicharito more matches.

More, let's not let the Rooney saga side-track the more important issue - getting a top class central-midfielder that will allow us to be competitive in the Champions League. We appear to be fecking things in that objective too.

I agree with this.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
The great argument comes again. The club has limited money. If we lose 60m on Rooney means that we won't have a big amount of money (not necessarily 60m) that we won't have to spend on other players/club facilities etc.

You don't think the club had a bit of forecast when they offered Wayne the new deal a few years ago? They just threw cash at him knowing that they may be broke somewhere down the track?

hp88

I can't see the Glazer allowing Rooney to walk out on free transfer but Ed said he wasn't afraid of players running down their contracts.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Rooney should be sold. Preferably abroad but no-one is interested on him, which means that he should be sold to Chelsea. We should get as much money as possible but running down his contract isn't an option, neither getting 50m+ for him.
I don't agree, the cash doesn't bother me at all. Selling to a pl rival does and I'm rather shocked that so many utd,fans see this as a better option.

JaffyJoe

Undoubtedly and I agree with that price, but using the logic 'Torres cost 50 million so X player should be Y amount' is no good since no-one with half a brain thinks Torres for 50 million was a good deal, otherwise Falcao would have been worth about 200 million. The Torres transfer must be treated as a total unrepeated, unmentioned anomaly surpassed only by Andy Carroll, and Jordan Henderson on the level of value for money!

I agree, I never understand people using OTHER transfers to value a player. So many factors go into a transfer fee, outside how good the player actually is. Rooney may be a superior player to Torres, but we will only get as much as Chelsea or whomever are willing to pay. 'Torres cost 50 million so Rooney is 55 million' is not how the buyer sees it, also Torres hasn't turned out to be a good deal. He may have cost 50 million but he is not worth it. Carroll and Henderson were not worth their price tags either at the time or in hindsight.

buckooo1978

You don't think the club had a bit of forecast when they offered Wayne the new deal a few years ago? They just threw cash at him knowing that they may be broke somewhere down the track?
yeah I agree with this

the last time he had us over a barrel as he had just over a year left and could leave cheaply

could be that the management think Rooney is expendable for the right price - its a shame Madrid havent been interested

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ideally PSG or Monaco would have signed but since that's not possible (specially with PSG, for Monaco you never know but would Rooney be interested ?) I'd keep him at Utd and force him to be on the bench for a few months, if not till the end of his contract. It'd be a good lesson to teach but tbh it'll never happen.
There will be a resolution to this by the end of this transfer window, either he'll say he'll stay or he'll leave.

TheRisingSun

Banned
From a United perspective, do you think it was a bit harsh of Ferguson to leave this grenade in Moyes' inbox with his comments in the Swansea game (bearing in mind how cagey he was with sensitive info when he was manager)?

And if Moyes' comments regarding Rooney being back up for RVP weren't intentional, do you think they are disappointing and a touch naive (I know they were taken out of context, but it still doesn't look pretty even in context)?

JaffyJoe

This Rooney argument is frustrating. The same people saying 'let's get rid of him' are also saying 'but he will make Chelsea stronger 40-50 million or nothing', you can't have it both ways. You want rid but on our terms that may not happen and certain fans should be prepared to that. Keeping an unhappy player is unwise imo.

TheRisingSun

Banned
I agree, I never understand people using OTHER transfers to value a player. So many factors go into a transfer fee, outside how good the player actually is. Rooney may be a superior player to Torres, but we will only get as much as Chelsea or whomever are willing to pay. 'Torres cost 50 million so Rooney is 55 million' is not how the buyer sees it, also Torres hasn't turned out to be a good deal. He may have cost 50 million but he is not worth it. Carroll and Henderson were not worth their price tags either at the time or in hindsight.
There is also Financial Fair Play to consider.

Keenst

A lot of people are forgetting just how poor his performances could be at times last season. What makes you think Rooney would flourish at Chelsea? Look what happened to Torres and Shevchenko - it's hardly a strikers paradise; if that is what Rooney is these days, it's hard to know.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ideally PSG or Monaco would have signed but since that's not possible (specially with PSG, for Monaco you never know but would Rooney be interested ?) I'd keep him at Utd and force him to be on the bench for a few months, if not till the end of his contract. It'd be a good lesson to teach but tbh it'll never happen.
There will be a resolution to this by the end of this transfer window, either he'll say he'll stay or he'll leave.

I really wouldn't see any point in forcing him to remain here on the bench. For a start we'd be weaker than we would be if we just sold him and brought in some kind of replacement. On top of that we'd be dealing with this sideshow for the rest of the season. I'm already sick of this story, a whole season of it would be too much.

There comes a point where you just have to cut your losses and move on. I'd back us to be able to replace Rooney, we've lost more important players than him in the past. I just want this issue finished.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
From a United perspective, do you think it was a bit harsh of Ferguson to leave this grenade in Moyes' inbox with his comments in the Swansea game (bearing in mind how cagey he was with sensitive info when he was manager)?

And if Moyes' comments regarding Rooney being back up for RVP weren't intentional, do you think they are disappointing and a touch naive (I know they were taken out of context, but it still doesn't look pretty even in context)?
The rumours on Rooney had already come out and then Fergie confirmed them. Perhaps he should have kept them to himself though.

Moyes comments IMO were borderline idiotic.

x42bn6

We won't lose on his marketing. The option I replied was keeping Rooney only for the sake of keeping him. AN! said that we should keep Rooney and not play him unless Chelsea pays 40m, something Livewire supported and then I replied. You don't get any marketing money for someone who doesn't play for two years.
We're not going to "not play him" - we'll give him games. Rooney will also want to impress to ensure he gets into the England squad (it's a World Cup year, remember). Maybe we get a cut of his various image rights, too, such as appearances in FIFA games. He is already one of the highest earners in the world - he won't go to zero because of injuries and a lack of match-fitness. Ronaldinho is still one of the highest earners in the world, remember.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
the last time he had us over a barrel as he had just over a year left and could leave cheaply

He brought an asset value to the table which far exceeds what the club may perceive right now. Which is probably why the possibility of a new contract to see out his peak years and maybe his career is being overshadowed by a heavy media contingent reporting on his wanting to leave.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

Possibly but I still found them hilarious given I majorly dislike the twat. A proper professional would have seen that as a way to dislodge the guy ahead of him anyway and it was purely another excuse for poor Wayne to use. For some reason he seems unable to say that he wants a change of scenery (more money) instead resorts to petty excuses and comments.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Really going out on a limb with that prediction!
Other things could happen you know, by stay I meant, he'll stay and be quiet, creating no drama. He could do it like Suarez, threaten to involved the CAS for instance, he could moan in the press during his stay. It is stupid that this hasn't gotten solved so far in the summer.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
A lot of people are forgetting just how poor his performances could be at times last season. What makes you think Rooney would flourish at Chelsea? Look what happened to Torres and Shevchenko - it's hardly a strikers paradise; if that is what Rooney is these days, it's hard to know.
He had an average season. But at times he was still crucial and played his part in winning the title.

Most forwards have the odd dodgy season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The rumours on Rooney had already come out and then Fergie confirmed them. Perhaps he should have kept them to himself though.

Moyes comments IMO were borderline idiotic.

I don't think there'd have been too much point in Saf keeping it to himself, I think the story was already emerging at that stage. All Saf did was handle it on his own terms, which is fair enough.

I didn't see anything wrong with the comments Moyes made either, in context they were fairly reasonable and honest. It seemed like Rooney jumped at the chance to twist them into a PR issue, acting as if the comments 'angered and confused' him when in reality it was nothing he didn't already know. I think he already knew he wanted to leave and was probably already in contact with Chelsea, all those comments did was give him another excuse.

JaffyJoe

Shevchenko was past it 31-32 if I am correct while Torres you can see is physically not the same player as well as having confidence issues, he has improved somewhat. Rooney is an interesting case, he seems to have lost a yard to me and lost that energy and dynamism of his youth. He is a different but more effective player. Two years ago he scored 34 goals playing upfront, with the creativity Chelsea have and a hungry, refreshed and happy Wayne Rooney, he can do very well. Also last season he was injured and played out of position despite that he still played an important part in the title win in a 'bad' year. We can nit-pick at the things he does not do well, but he does A LOT of things well also.

buckooo1978

essien +20 million or do we think he is a spent force?

think he played mainly at right back for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.