Wayne Rooney arrested for drink driving | Two-year driving ban

Stan Jefferson

For all we know he had 2 or 3 glasses of wine the night before having a sit down meal with his wife and it was still in his system.

People out to hang him before hearing the facts.

If he was in the pub had 5 pints then got in his car then yeah condem him but you don't know the full story.
Literally the second line in the article:

"England's all-time record scorer was stopped by police near his home in Cheshire on Thursday night, after an evening out."

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The problem with drink driving is that people put shitfaced drivers, people who had half a pint to much and hangovered people into the same category. While the first case is pure idiocy the other two don't deserve the same contempt.

In Poland limit is 0,2‰. According to police stats as many as 80% of drink driving Poles would have been deemed sober under German limit (0,5‰) and God knows how many more under Luxmeburg's limit of 0,8‰.

So before I cast a stone at Wayne I'd like to know how drunk he was in the first place.

Trizy

Idiot for drink driving. He's definitely a problem with drink, how many times have we seen him get dropped in or around Christmas every year under Fergie? Or the lash in a hotel on international duty.

It could be the main reason for his rapid decline imo.

Laughing at the doom merchants in here. For all we know he had one pint which up until a few years ago was legal, still actually is legal but it's your blood alcohol which they get you on and that is a risk as you don't know what your body will show so more often than not its best not to drink up to 12 or more hours before driving.

For all we know he had 2 or 3 glasses of wine the night before having a sit down meal with his wife and it was still in his system.

If he was in the pub had 5 pints then got in his car then yeah condem him but you don't know the full story.
So if he hits someone because he's intoxicated it makes it alright because he had the drink the night before?

Andersons Dietician

Mate, what are you talking about? Nobody gets fecking arrested for drunk driving for drinking the night BEFORE (or 12 hours before) they operate a vehicle. Your attempt to defend this type of behavior is ridiculous.
Yes you do, it also says 'suspicion of drink driving" they'll do a roadside test and if it's not conclusive they will take you to the station to take another test. In that period of time you're under arrest.

Do you live in Britain? Because you also do get taken up for drinking the night before. It's the blood alcohol amount they are after. Scotland for example you can't even sniff a drink or you could get done it's so low.
Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath 35Eng. 22Scot
Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood 80 Eng. 50Scot
Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine 107Eng 67Scot

Alcohol stays in your system and when the laws changed there was massive problems up here because people were going to work the next day after a few the night before and being caught out and losing licenses and so on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The fact that he was arrested means he failed the test isn't it?

MadMike

I'll never understand why footballers drink drive. Hell I don't understand why anyone does it, but a multi-millionaire footballer who could afford a personal chauffeur if they wanted to? Just.. why.
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that a) they don't plan to get drunk but get carried away and b) they don't want their families or family friends to know which is why they head out alone in their own car and with no chauffer.

Bestietom

He should be punished severely for this, as anyone who drinks and drives should...

Christ sake he has children, and if it was a drunk driver who ran into, and hurted, or killed, ( God Forbid) one of his children, he would feel the same way...

If you are going to Drive,, "Do Not Drink" ........

SirAF

Ageist
The problem with drink driving is that people put shitfaced drivers, people who had half a pint to much and hangovered people into the same category. While the first case is pure idiocy the other two don't deserve the same contempt.

In Poland limit is 0,2‰. According to police stats as many as 80% of drink driving Poles would have been deemed sober under German limit (0,5‰) and God knows how many more under Luxmeburg's limit of 0,8‰.

So before I cast a stone at Wayne I'd like to know how drunk he was in the first place.
The problme is that the limit is far too high in certain countries. In Norway it is 0,2% - which is the way it should be.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Shame.

Cmon lad, ur a legend and known better than that.

Andersons Dietician

Literally the second line in the article:

"England's all-time record scorer was stopped by police near his home in Cheshire on Thursday night, after an evening out."
Yeah and he goes about his day as usual, stops off for a half pint leaves the pub is trailed by the police and low and behold is tested and the drink in his system from the night before plus that half equals a failed test. It's not rocket science.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The best way is if you are going to have any alcohol at all, no matter how little. Do not drive. Get a taxi. Not like they can't afford it. It's an international break so nobody is saying don't have a couple of drink, but getting into a car is stupid.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeah and he goes about his day as usual, stops off for a half pint leaves the pub is trailed by the police and low and behold is tested and the drink in his system from the night before plus that half equals a failed test. It's not rocket science.
Your fiction is a lot less plausible than the one you're railing against.

SirAF

Ageist
How you defend drinking a pint and then drive home? Is the pub culture/ attitude towards alcohol in England that fecked up? Either way, your example is the best case scenario and is quite unlikely.

Andersons Dietician

So if he hits someone because he's intoxicated it makes it alright because he had the drink the night before?
So let's say you're out and you have 1 drink a half pint, are you drunk? Did you just murder someone because you had the tiniest trace of alcohol in your system? It's common sense. If you're blood alcohol is something stupid then you'll be done and rightfully should be done for it.

DOTA

So let's say you're out and you have 1 drink a half pint, are you drunk? Did you just murder someone because you had the tiniest trace of alcohol in your system? It's common sense. If you're blood alcohol is something stupid then you'll be done and rightfully should be done for it.
I'm just gonna suggest you read this back and think about it.

Djemba-Djemba

If I get pulled over by the police and fail the breathalyser test then yeah I'm over the limit, I've been an idiot and I deserve to be punished.

Your desperate attempts to absolve him are confusing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Isn't all this a bit academic?
The article said he was coming back from a night out.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The problme is that the limit is far too high in certain countries. In Norway it is 0,2% - which is the way it should be.
I think it's an interesting case as circumstances should be taken into consideration. As @Andersons Dietician said, people drink 2-3 glasses of wine, get a proper night sleep and bang. Caught in the morning still have excess alchol in their blood.

No mercy for those drink more than 1 glass of wine/ beer for the meal and drive. One should have enough imagination to consider consequences and dangers.

Infra-red

Laughing at the doom merchants in here. For all we know he had one pint which up until a few years ago was legal, still actually is legal but it's your blood alcohol which they get you on and that is a risk as you don't know what your body will show so more often than not its best not to drink up to 12 or more hours before driving.

The drink-drive limit in England has been the same since 1967 - 80mg alcohol per 100ml blood.

The article states it was an evening out.

People driving while over the limit deserve condemnation, regardless of the circumstances.

SirAF

Ageist
I think it's an interesting case as circumstances should be taken into consideration. As @Andersons Dietician said, people drink 2-3 glasses of wine, get a proper night sleep and bang. Caught in the morning still have excess alchol in their blood.

No mercy for those drink more than 1 glass of wine/ beer for the meal and drive. One should have enough imagination to consider consequences and dangers.
I doubt 2-3 glasses of wine would show up in your blood next morning? Either way, it is your own fault. If you're going to drink alcohol, then make sure you don't have to get in the car before sufficient time has passed.

Also, the limit in England is stupidly high so being over that the next morning is really your own doing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyone who drink drives is a selfish c**t
Correct.

It's really rather simple: if you need to drive, don't drink. At all. Not even half a glass.

I'd have some limited sympathy for someone who is still slightly over the limit the next day (having reasonably thought their night's sleep had taken care of things) but absolutely zero for anyone who makes the decision to drink and then drive.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

If I get pulled over by the police and fail the breathalyser test then yeah I'm over the limit, I've been an idiot and I deserve to be punished.

Your desperate attempts to absolve him are confusing.
No I painted a picture or scenarios that could have happened that led to him failing the test. The same as people have been making out with no proof it's because he has a drinking problem so on. I put more resoningnthan half the doom merchants and the truth is no one knows what actually has happened.

From the sounds of it he was asked for a roadside test, refused, was taken to the station for bloods and a urine test. That is standard practice. No where does it say he has failed the test, it says "taken under suspicion of drink driving"

I'm merely pointing out to the drama queens the most likely scenario or alternatives to their he was out on a bender then decided to jump in his car absolutely legless brigade.

SirAF

Ageist
No I painted a picture or scenarios that could have happened that led to him failing the test. The same as people have been making out with no proof it's because he has a drinking problem so on. I put more resoningnthan half the doom merchants and the truth is no one knows what actually has happened.

From the sounds of it he was asked for a roadside test, refused, was taken to the station for bloods and a urine test. That is standard practice. No where does it say he has failed the test, it says "taken under suspicion of drink driving"

I'm merely pointing out to the drama queens the most likely scenario or alternatives to their he was out on a bender then decided to jump in his car absolutely legless brigade.
Why would he refuse the test if he had not been drinking? That's just stupid.

Andersons Dietician

I doubt 2-3 glasses of wine would show up in your blood next morning? Either way, it is your own fault. If you're going to drink alcohol, then make sure you don't have to get in the car before sufficient time has passed.

Also, the limit in England is stupidly high so being over that the next morning is really your own doing.
Can you drive yet or are of legal drinking age as if not I suggest you read up on the subject https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit as you can.

DOTA

:lol:

GrandJury

He's rich as feck and he's drink driving.

Seriously what a complete moron.

Djemba-Djemba

You came in saying maybe he'd had some wine the night before and then been pulled over and the alcohol was still in his system.

Even though it says in the article he was pulled over late in the evening on Thursday.

Where are you getting the idea he refused a test from? And even if he did is that really the actions of someone who's sober? Why would anyone refuse to take the test?