Wayne Rooney believes some United players pretending to be injured

Wilt

Sky Sports… Wayne Rooney: “some of those players can play, 100 per cent”

Some United players lying about their injuries to swerve playing and avoid the flak?
Saving themselves for the Cup Final and Euro selection?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is he guessing? Or has he been told something

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think it is that surprising. I think some niggles are playable and you choose whether or not to play through them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think it is that surprising. I think some niggles are playable and you choose whether or not to play through them.
Yeah you can play through some injuries and it's true that there is a calculation to be made between taking the risk to make it worse long term and being useful short term.

Wilt

Think Wayne’s right on the money.

No doubt as if by magic they’ll all be fit and available for the FA Cup and Euros.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Think Wayne’s right on the money.

No doubt as if by magic they’ll all be fit and available for the FA Cup and Euros.
You mean the magic of time where the players will have more than 2 weeks to be ready?

Lee565

Players from our club will not be the only ones potentially doing this so close to the euros, players from all clubs be extra cautious at this point

Nogbadthebad

I don;t think he said they were faking injuries.

Its that they were making themselves unavailable for injuries that they could play through if they really wanted to.

El Zoido

Is he guessing? Or has he been told something
He knows something, footballers talk. Also he’s been around the game his whole life, he knows the ins and outs. He’ll get flak for this but he’s seen it all before.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah you can play through some injuries and it's true that there is a calculation to be made between taking the risk to make it worse long term and being useful short term.
With nothing to play short term, it's better these players don't risk it.

I think players also got criticism when they made themselves available for selection when they weren't 100%, they were called selfish for some reason.

Pronewbie

Peep
Already called it more than a month ago. I also think that a fair few have been disenfranchised by ETH's transfer decisions (and maybe tactics) since the start of the season, and while I wouldn't blame them for feeling that way, I am disappointed they've not fought harder for the badge. Most tried to stay professional for the first couple of months but I think poor performances together with injuries to key players have led to a complete collapse in unity and morale.

JPRouve

Scout
With nothing to play short term, it's better these players don't risk it.

I think players also got criticism when they made themselves available for selection when they weren't 100%, they were called selfish for some reason.
Agreed. The only issue is for a manager that is in the hot seat in that case I can understand if he was frustrated but any decent manager that is thinking long term would put his players on ice, the season is done make sure that as many player as possible are fit for the cup final and go on holiday/Euro fit and don't comeback in bad shape.

Red Regista

Nothing surprises me anymore with this squad....bunch of wankers most of them.
Not all of course, but a big fat bunch of 'our lads' can stick it up their arse as far as I'm concerned.

We need that culture change in the dressing room.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Martial is the obvious one, others that wouldn't surprise me is Shaw, Varane, Lindelof & Mount.

I like some of those players but they've all surpassed the amount of time they were meant to be out and so many times they come back they break down, I don't think it's "I'm not injured, I won't play still", I think it's feeling a little something and sitting out rather than playing through it like a Bruno, Mctominay, Maguire & Evans would.

roonster09

Scout
Agreed. The only issue is for a manager that is in the hot seat in that case I can understand if he was frustrated but any decent manager that is thinking long term would put his players on ice, the season is done make sure that as many player as possible are fit for the cup final and go on holiday/Euro fit and don't comeback in bad shape.
Exactly. Also for any club that doesn't make decision game by game, these last 2-4 games shouldn't matter. They would have seen how bad we were entire season, these 2-4 games shouldn't change anything.

Just focus on the cup finals and play Euros of they are selected, if not then time to go for holiday and relax.

Wilt

Would imagine at this time of the season lots of players carry niggles/minor injuries, but they mostly continue to play, it goes with the territory.

Shinjch

I wouldn't think this is some revelation, another part of the culture that needs changed at the club.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Great to see at the lowest time, an ex-player again couldn't keep his mouth shut and stirred controversy over speculation.

Either just name names or shut the feck up. Even those who are actually injured will be seen with suspicion now.

MadMike

I think people underestimate the degree to which it's down to the players (and not the medical staff) to declare themselves fit enough to play. The doctors sure can identify the source of pain and create a treatment plan, but the level of pain and discomfort experienced is subjective to the player. It depends on their pain tolerance, on the risks they want to take etc.

And if you don't feel like playing, it's very easy to use something as simple as an ankle sprain to keep you out of weeks. Either by exaggerating the level of pain you feel, or by deciding you don't want to take the risk of aggravating it. The doctors can't "prove" how much pain or discomfort you feel, nor can they make on your behalf the decision to play by taking pain-killing injections and accepting the risks. It's not their body or career.

I do suspect a lot of our players are mentally checked out for the season and are quite happy to not take any risks and thus do not declare themselves fit. If the team was having a season like Arsenal's and was on a title run, I suspect some of these guys would be fit enough to play now. It's impossible to prove though, hence the "suspect" word being used.

OleGunnar20

Can you blame players not wanting to play through an injury to battle for 8th place when it may aggravate the injury further and result in them missing out on the Euros, etc.?
Yes, it's their (incredibly highly paid) job. They should feel pride wearing the badge and give everything for it or feck off and bother someone else's physios.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Luke to be back in training this week, 60 minutes against Brighton, full game against City, just in time for the Euro's.
The thing with Shaw and Rashford is who is saying they will even be selected for the Euros. Do you think Rashford deserves to be picked? Will Southgate risk someone who might get injured again. He already has problems with Chilwell and James being brittle at fullback.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, it happens at every club but because of your issues it's going to be a headline.

JPRouve

Scout
Exactly. Also for any club that doesn't make decision game by game, these last 2-4 games shouldn't matter. They would have seen how bad we were entire season, these 2-4 games shouldn't change anything.

Just focus on the cup finals and play Euros of they are selected, if not then time to go for holiday and relax.
The other thing and I suspect that many won't like that idea, is that if you want players to feel that playing for the club is more than a job, you need to treat them as more than random employees and part of that is to consider some of their personal interests and goals.

When people talk about pride and the badge, they seem to ignore that they are talking about irrational feelings that you aren't going to foster by being "cold" and all about business.

Oldyella

That’s exactly why he comes into the equation.
Maybe he doesn't trust his body and is worried about breaking down again, I just think it's hard to claim given he's basically never fit anyway.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I remember Rooney playing when he was injured for England. I think hes right that you could wheel a few of the players out there but they'd probably be terrible playing with injury or theyd make the injury worse and not be fit for the start of next season. Theres not much point

roonster09

Scout
The other thing and I suspect that many won't like that idea, is that if you want players to feel that playing for the club is more than a job, you need to treat them as more than random employees and part of that is to consider some of their personal interests and goals.

When people talk about pride and the badge, they seem to ignore that they are talking about irrational feelings that you aren't going to foster by being "cold" and all about business.
Many or let's say vocal minority are just toxic, and also pretty clueless.

Also not sure why people even take Rooney's word as some truth here. If player is feeling discomfort then only he can answer if he is in position to play the game. Not everyone will have same threshold of pain/pain tolerance.