Wayne Rooney Interview

Flexdegea

People getting on like new info here.

He said all the same on Neville soccer box. He also speaks to Fergie for advice on management. The whole we were declining majority of fanbase was thinking or saying the same thing. Glazer's got massive amounts of hate at the time for not reinvesting.

Robertd0803

Oh boy! That's a crazy thing to admit.

I believe the game he's referring to is the 3-0 game at the Bridge. If it is, isn't that the very same game he broke a bone in his foot causing him to miss the beginning of the 2006 world cup?
Yeah thats the one. If I remember rightly his own injury was caused by him getting his foot stuck in the turf which was probably caused by his studs.

Andersonson

Read a quote from Colleen somewhere about Wayne's shagging, and it was to the effect of "I know people just think I stayed with him for the sake of the kids and keeping the family together", and it made me laugh cos nobody thinks that is the reason she $tayed with him.
This is so sexist though, isnt it. She will be set for life if they divorce too. They've been married for a very long time, they absolutely share alot of the money and she will be entitled to alot of it....

Trequarista10

This is so sexist though, isnt it. She will be set for life if they divorce too. They've been married for a very long time, they absolutely share alot of the money and she will be entitled to alot of it....
Wtf how is it sexist? Gender has literally nothing to do with it, which us why I didn't mention gender.

stevoc

SAF made sure to tell everyone after his last match at OT that Rooney had handed in a transfer request and wanted to leave the club again. I think SAF had enough of Rooney and if he had stayed on another year he probably would've been sold if the right club/offer came in. Rooney can spin it all he wants but we all know he held the club to ransom in 2010 and was threatening to go to City. All his concerns about ambition went away when we put that big contract on the table.
Problem with that theory is Alex Ferguson (in his book) doesn't think Rooney held the club to ransom for more money or wanted to go to City, SAF believes he genuinely wanted to leave. And if he genuinely wanted to leave because he thought United couldn't compete in Europe then he wouldn't have wanted to go to City.

The whole Rooney/City myth is two fold people either believe he threatened to go to City for more money and/or for some strange reason actually wanted to go to City circa 2010.

Andersonson

Wtf how is it sexist? Gender has literally nothing to do with it, which us why I didn't mention gender.
Women who stays with men because of money is a stereotype. Dont play stupid.

Making such a comment is totally out of order too. They've been together since they were teens and been through hell with media and cooped with it. Watch the documentary.

Trequarista10

Women who stays with men because of money is a stereotype. Dont play stupid.

Making such a comment is totally out of order too. They've been together since they were teens and been through hell with media and cooped with it. Watch the documentary.
So you carry around sexist stereotypes, and that makes me sexist? You're utterly deluded. Honestly, you should reflect on this incident. Read about projection.

Yeah they've been together since they were teens. Rooney was a footballing super star at 16, was well known in football a few years prior even, and was shagging grannies at 18.

MancBorg

Does anyone think the decline argument wouldn't hold water if we hadn't met Barca in the 2011 CL final? We'd have beaten any other team, and won the double. We then lost the league on goal difference and then won the league by 11 points, was it? (Would have been way more had SAF not announced retirement 5 games before the end)

I think succession planning was definitely a key issue because we were always going to lose scholes and Giggs at the same time (and we knew what happened first time scholes left).

I'm not one of these guys who argues Moyes didn't get enough time. He essentially dismantled a winning machine and failed to keep the experienced group happy. We lost Giggs, scholes, vidic, rio, evra within the space of 1 season. Doesn't that have more to do with our decline than the squad being on the down?

Only Giggs and scholes retired so they were the only necessary losses. You can't lose all that experience and quality and not miss it. There was a while where City looked lost without Kompany, Liverpool finished below us because Virgil was injured, Barca lost their core group and were a shadow.

Granted we needed a few signings in that 2013 summer but if SAF is still in charge maybe we get kroos / Fabregas for scholes...

Trequarista10

Your point doesn't make sense though. She'd take him to the cleaners if they got divorced and would receive massive child support payments for the next 10 or so years.
Wayne's been cheating on her since 18 years old (or earlier) and before they had kids and before they were married.

led_scholes

Well, he is not wrong we were declining in 2013 compared to 2008. And the habit of giving fat contracts to declining players was a sign. Sight, we gave Rooney a contract even though 1 year later he was a championship player. But paradoxically, Rooney wanted to leave when we started declining, but when he was a pub player he was more than happy to stay.

Marwood

Does anyone think the decline argument wouldn't hold water if we hadn't met Barca in the 2011 CL final? We'd have beaten any other team, and won the double. We then lost the league on goal difference and then won the league by 11 points, was it? (Would have been way more had SAF not announced retirement 5 games before the end)

I think succession planning was definitely a key issue because we were always going to lose scholes and Giggs at the same time (and we knew what happened first time scholes left).

I'm not one of these guys who argues Moyes didn't get enough time. He essentially dismantled a winning machine and failed to keep the experienced group happy. We lost Giggs, scholes, vidic, rio, evra within the space of 1 season. Doesn't that have more to do with our decline than the squad being on the down?

Only Giggs and scholes retired so they were the only necessary losses. You can't lose all that experience and quality and not miss it. There was a while where City looked lost without Kompany, Liverpool finished below us because Virgil was injured, Barca lost their core group and were a shadow.

Granted we needed a few signings in that 2013 summer but if SAF is still in charge maybe we get kroos / Fabregas for scholes...
They left because they were all but finished as players. That squad definitely did need an overhaul.

But Rooney was rightly told to do one by Ferguson when questioned. We'd just had or were still in the middle of the most succesful period in the clubs history. That's not the time to question a manager. He should have been questioning himself really given the direction of his form.

Marwood

Well, he is not wrong we were declining in 2013 compared to 2008. And the habit of giving fat contracts to declining players was a sign. Sight, we gave Rooney a contract even though 1 year later he was a championship player. But paradoxically, Rooney wanted to leave when we started declining, but when he was a pub player he was more than happy to stay.
He also wanted us to sign better players....as long as it wasn't someone like RvP i.e. someone in his position. Got dropped for a few games and wanted out.

Strootman's Finger

For the first 8/9 years of his career Rooney was my idol, I loved the way he played, loved his attitude, owned and wore several Rooney shirts. The remaining 4/5 years of his career were utterly frustrating and undid everything he did in the first 8/9 for me. He claimed he only cared about the clubs ambition, and wanted better players, but didn't have the self awareness to realize he was on the decline and where we needed better players was in the roles he played. However that does open another can of worms, 13 seasons with United and nobody could name his best position, was it as a 10? a 9? an 8? Nobody debates what position Messi and Ronaldo were. During his last 4/5 years Rooney had lost a yard of pace, which is what his whole game relied on, he didn't have a good first touch, but he had the ability to recover and produce and good second touch, once he lost the pace, he couldn't recover when the ball bounced off his foot like it was the side of a barn. He also lost his aggression. Every counter attacking play through Rooney went the exact same way in his last 4 or 5 season, the team was breaking at pace, someone would pass to Rooney, he would stop, hold up the ball, turn and pass backwards, opposition defense would recover, attack over, rinse, repeat. He was a total momentum killer. Don't believe me, pick pretty much any game from that era and watch 10 mins, my point will be proven. I will remember the good Rooney did in his early years, but him sticking around for an extra 4 years, to the detriment of the club, without the self awareness to realize he couldn't cut it, erased the love I had for him as a player.

Now what I am most concerned about is the possibility of Rooney as a manager, sorry, the guy just isn't a good character, I don't have a lot of respect for someone out banging hookers while their wife and kid are at home and they have a game in two days. And for me, this interview and his amazon special show me why he should never manage the club. He spent 13 years at a club where the one of the most famous captains was fined and suspended for admitting in a book he purposely hurt another player, and then Rooney is smart enough to do the exact same thing. And him putting out a biography of his life and not including SAF, is utterly disrespectful to SAF and to the club as a whole.

Good player in his day, I have no love for him now, could care less if I ever see him in any other capacity in football.

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Can never quite believe that people can't see how we declined around 2009 onwards and how arguments about how we were still competing and reaching finals proves their point. We didn't just turn to crap magically over night, it was a slow decline with warning signs all over the place.

The reason why we were still competing is because that previous team was one of the strongest sides there's ever been in England. Our veterans were capable of putting in outstanding performances well into the twilight of their careers. Giggsy for instance saved us loads of times in 2010-11 season with some of his performances. There were some major red flags though: crap performances, getting knocked out of the CL group stage in 2011, getting wrecked by Athletic Bilbao in the Europa league etc.
Yea when we lost Ron and Tevez and had these crap looking chevrons on the shirts.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Watching it this evening. God I wish we could clone the 18 year old version and unleash him again. It's easy to forget just how fecking talented he was. What a player.

SirAF

Ageist
For the first 8/9 years of his career Rooney was my idol, I loved the way he played, loved his attitude, owned and wore several Rooney shirts. The remaining 4/5 years of his career were utterly frustrating and undid everything he did in the first 8/9 for me. He claimed he only cared about the clubs ambition, and wanted better players, but didn't have the self awareness to realize he was on the decline and where we needed better players was in the roles he played. However that does open another can of worms, 13 seasons with United and nobody could name his best position, was it as a 10? a 9? an 8? Nobody debates what position Messi and Ronaldo were. During his last 4/5 years Rooney had lost a yard of pace, which is what his whole game relied on, he didn't have a good first touch, but he had the ability to recover and produce and good second touch, once he lost the pace, he couldn't recover when the ball bounced off his foot like it was the side of a barn. He also lost his aggression. Every counter attacking play through Rooney went the exact same way in his last 4 or 5 season, the team was breaking at pace, someone would pass to Rooney, he would stop, hold up the ball, turn and pass backwards, opposition defense would recover, attack over, rinse, repeat. He was a total momentum killer. Don't believe me, pick pretty much any game from that era and watch 10 mins, my point will be proven. I will remember the good Rooney did in his early years, but him sticking around for an extra 4 years, to the detriment of the club, without the self awareness to realize he couldn't cut it, erased the love I had for him as a player.

Now what I am most concerned about is the possibility of Rooney as a manager, sorry, the guy just isn't a good character, I don't have a lot of respect for someone out banging hookers while their wife and kid are at home and they have a game in two days. And for me, this interview and his amazon special show me why he should never manage the club. He spent 13 years at a club where the one of the most famous captains was fined and suspended for admitting in a book he purposely hurt another player, and then Rooney is smart enough to do the exact same thing. And him putting out a biography of his life and not including SAF, is utterly disrespectful to SAF and to the club as a whole.

Good player in his day, I have no love for him now, could care less if I ever see him in any other capacity in football.
100% agree.

youngrell

Enjoyed the doc for nostalgia reasons, thought it was pretty run of the mill outside of that.

On a separate note, has anyone ever seen Rooney’s mum and Paddy Crerand in the same room :nervous:

clarkydaz

I will remember the good Rooney did in his early years, but him sticking around for an extra 4 years, to the detriment of the club, without the self awareness to realize he couldn't cut it, erased the love I had for him as a player.
He would hae stayed longer if had his way, and for England. Then he announced he was the new Scholes, inventing a new position to prolong his career when Kane and Rashford took his place. He was allowed to crawl to both goalscoring records, and it took the iceland debacle for the media to realise he was ruining the England team, they wanted shut of him immediatel after that