Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

MrBest

Never understood some of the Rooney hate. He's a ledg no 2 ways about it.
People are quick to forget he broke onto the scene at just 16 and signed for us at 18. His best years were up to around 26, that season we won the champions league he was outstanding. Someone mentioned on here that he was better than Ronaldo when he was younger, i totally agree. He is one of the best teenage footballers i have ever seen, even into his early and mod twenties he was exceptional. Unfortunately he peaked too soon, a lot of younger fans unfortunately would not have had the chance to appreciate his glory. I wanted him out at the end, was really annoyed at the contract issue but at the end of the day, 250 plus goals for us, countless trophies, record teenager signing at the time, he will always be a legend in my eyes.

Pablo76

Curious. How couldn't you have liked Rooney as a player?
I just never took to him. Sure he was good for us for a time, and I don’t give a single shit about the whole contract stuff, I just don’t think he was that exciting.

He deserves credit for his career of course, top scorer for us and England, but I know I’m not alone in thinking he’s not quite deserving enough of legend status.

His style of play simply never really entertained me like some others did.

Pablo76

It does not make sense to me. A recent post from them suggests that de Gea is still the world's best keeper and is undergoing a 'slight blip in form'. Curious that someone would go to lengths to defend a player that was a paperwork error away from actually leaving the club (de Gea), but dislikes one of the most important players in the club's history (Rooney).
That’s not quite what I said at all though, is it?

If De Gea’s paperwork was ready, then the club were willing to sell him, that’s a 2 way street so no defending of him to be done? You do know that Rooney actually did leave, right?

Also I never discredited Rooneys importance, I simply never liked him as a player. Especially compared to some other attacking players we’ve had in the 36 years I’ve supported Utd.

Foxbatt

I don't understand the hatred too. He gave everything on the pitch. Yes he had contract issues but no one can doubt his commitment on the pitch.

Needham

Also I never discredited Rooneys importance, I simply never liked him as a player. Especially compared to some other attacking players we’ve had in the 36 years I’ve supported Utd.
You for real?

youngrell

Not sure I’ve ever heard Rooney described as unexciting before. That would probably be the last word I’d use to describe him given his all action, explosive style.

Longshanks

If De Gea’s paperwork was ready, then the club were willing to sell him, that’s a 2 way street so no defending of him to be done? You do know that Rooney actually did leave, right?

399 goal contributions in 559 games, and you didnt like his style of play and thought he was unexciting? Each to there own I suppose.

What were you thoughts on michael carrick if you found rooney unexciting?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Never understood some of the Rooney hate. He's a ledg no 2 ways about it.
Flirting with City did him no favours. Plus I think a lot of fans grew frustrated with his performances over his last few years at United. That's the vibe I get at least, anyway.

Carl

Not sure I’ve ever heard Rooney described as unexciting before. That would probably be the last word I’d use to describe him given his all action, explosive style.
Can only be people with short memories. He was fabulous to watch up until his mid 20s, without question. He changed a lot as a player after that though, when he didn't really have that immediate burst of pace to skip past players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Flirting with City did him no favours. Plus I think a lot of fans grew frustrated with his performances over his last few years at United. That's the vibe I get at least, anyway.
I definitely was in that boat. He went from possibly my favourite player to one I became disinterested in. But in hindsight, I think it's evident that he doesn't get the respect he should. He's among greatest ever Manchester United, English and Premier League players. Up until the severe decline he was a phenomenal footballer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You for real?
Rooney's link up play was something else. Ronaldo gets all the plaudits but Rooney was probably the biggest contributor in our 5 titles in 7 run. And while he went about things in the wrong way he was possibly also right about lack of ambition in the market at the time.

Carl

I definitely was in that boat. He went from possibly my favourite player to one I became disinterested in. But in hindsight, I think it's evident that he doesn't get the respect he should. He's among greatest ever Manchester United, English and Premier League players. Up until the severe decline he was a phenomenal footballer.
Aye. He was amazing. Think another source of frustration is this feeling that he self destructed too. For as good as he was, I'm still always left wondering what might have been had he looked after himself properly. Might have not made a difference of course, but can't help feel he'd have prolonged his peak considerably had he shared Ronaldo's attitude and lifestyle choices.

Manchie

My all time favorite player, he brought me so much joy in the past. I have never loved any player like him and will never. Good luck Wazza!

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Any Rooney hate baffles me.
Yes he lost a lot of everything as he got towards the end of playing for us but when he played for us he gave absolutely everything and a goal every other game, England AND United top scorer of all time says all you need to say.
Absolute legend.
I hope he absolutely bosses it as a manager

predator

Youth NITK
Some will dislike him because he is a scouser and some will never get over the whole transfer speculation (which was orchestrated by his cnut of agent, paul stretford).

That aside he is the best English footballer ever with all considered imo. In his prime he was on par if not better than Ronaldo. Also he has scored some of the best/most impressive goals you will ever see at the top level.

Apparently he is also our highest goalscorer and also englands which is impressive but he actually wasn't that profilic a goalscorer if you compare him to other players.

And he won everything there is to win at club level.

The criticism and dislike towards him from some United fans is very strange but each to their own.

Wilt

Forget the idiot hate. SAF summed him up perfectly as “White Pele”.

Revaulx

Aye. He was amazing. Think another source of frustration is this feeling that he self destructed too. For as good as he was, I'm still always left wondering what might have been had he looked after himself properly. Might have not made a difference of course, but can't help feel he'd have prolonged his peak considerably had he shared Ronaldo's attitude and lifestyle choices.
Indeed. While he invariably gave his all while he was on the pitch, in training as well as games, he seemed to be living a much more relaxed life away from it.

Which makes it all the more surprising (in a good way :)) that accounts are emerging from Derby that he's involving himself in far more aspects of the club's management than just coaching the first team, and that he's got a high level of attention to detail.

Maybe he feels that he rather wasted his final years as a player and is determinaed to make up for that in management.

Idxomer

Give it 20 years or so and he'll go down as a legend and be appreciated for his performances
I think he's already a legend, being United's all-time top scorer will also insures his legacy for a long time.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think he's already a legend, being United's all-time top scorer will also insures his legacy for a long time.
I more mean universally. A lot of his contract negotiations etc will be forgotten with time whereas his goals and achievements will stand the test of time as you say.

Fingeredmouse

Yes. I too don't particularly like watching all action, combative, ultra committed, flamboyant, skilful and creative goal scoring attacking players.

arnie_ni

I just never took to him. Sure he was good for us for a time, and I don’t give a single shit about the whole contract stuff, I just don’t think he was that exciting.

He deserves credit for his career of course, top scorer for us and England, but I know I’m not alone in thinking he’s not quite deserving enough of legend status.

His style of play simply never really entertained me like some others did.
Gobsmacked. How couldn't you have been entertained by Rooney. What age are you? Would you have only seen him in his last few years?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
All time great. Personally I think one his greatest attributes was ability to be a team player. He never spent much time as our main nr 9 despite his natural position being a striker. He still managed to score quite a lot of goals anyway and his link up play and passing was excellent when on form. His footbaling intelligence was awesome as well despite not really come of as really that did intelligent as a person.

DoomSlayer

All time great. Personally I think one his greatest attributes was ability to be a team player. He never spent much time as our main nr 9 despite his natural position being a striker. He still managed to score quite a lot of goals anyway and his link up play and passing was excellent when on form. His footbaling intelligence was awesome as well despite not really come of as really that did intelligent as a person.
This 1000%. Rooney could have achieved more personal accolades if he was more selfish, but he was always prepared to risk it all for us and for England, the amount of times he played while injured is preposterous and seriously hampered his longevity.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
People are quick to forget he broke onto the scene at just 16 and signed for us at 18. His best years were up to around 26, that season we won the champions league he was outstanding. Someone mentioned on here that he was better than Ronaldo when he was younger, i totally agree. He is one of the best teenage footballers i have ever seen, even into his early and mod twenties he was exceptional. Unfortunately he peaked too soon, a lot of younger fans unfortunately would not have had the chance to appreciate his glory. I wanted him out at the end, was really annoyed at the contract issue but at the end of the day, 250 plus goals for us, countless trophies, record teenager signing at the time, he will always be a legend in my eyes.
Like everyone else I was also super annoyed with the way he went about angling for a new contract, but taking away our own emotional investment in the situation he did what any pro athlete would do in getting the money he's worth and by now you have to say he wasn't totally wrong for questioning the ambitions of the club - we're feeling the ramifications of that today! He gave every minute of his best years to us and though it was unfortunate he stayed longer than ideal on the decline, it doesn't undo what he's achieved with us - plus top goal scorer for England.

Absolute ledge.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Myth about him playing all over the pitch to accomodate others because he is unselfish will never stop, right? He was never out and out striker, at least not in his late 20s and after. Any time SAF would play him there post 2009 he was frustrated 20 minutes into a game and usually end up that game as one of our worst players, and was back to his best as second striker in the very next game.
In central midfield he played around 20 games at most for us, but that was mostly when he was done as second striker too and when his form was bad.

His favourite position was supporting stiker, number ten or wide left as supporting striker - through his entire career, he's had only one good season as an pure striker and that wasn't even close to his best football, despite scoring lot of goals in that season.

Btw, he was very exciting player, probably more existing at his best than any striker in PL this season.

Chabon

Just the ten years...

Rockets Redglare

Gobsmacked. How couldn't you have been entertained by Rooney. What age are you? Would you have only seen him in his last few years?
Exactly, in his prime he was as entertaining as it gets. Was one of those players who could make something out of absolutely nothing and ran his bollocks off for the cause.

DoomSlayer

Myth about him playing all over the pitch to accomodate others because he is unselfish will never stop, right? He was never out and out striker, at least not in his late 20s and after. Any time SAF would play him there post 2009 he was frustrated 20 minutes into a game and usually end up that game as one of our worst players, and was back to his best as second striker in the very next game.
In central midfield he played around 20 games at most for us, but that was mostly when he was done as second striker too and when his form was bad.

His favourite position was supporting stiker, number ten or wide left as supporting striker - through his entire career, he's had only one good season as an pure striker and that wasn't even close to his best football, despite scoring lot of goals in that season.

Btw, he was very exciting player, probably more existing at his best than any striker in PL this season.
Is it also a myth that he played through injuries and was rushed back in without being fully fit? It never ceases to amaze me how much some players were excused, like Pogba for example, whilst Rooney never got the benefit of the doubt.

If we actually build a proper squad around Rooney when Ronaldo left, we would have dominated the league even more and been more successful in Europe. He was right to question the ambitions of the club, he never questioned Sir Alex or his ability to manage the team, it was always about not bringing in enough top class talents, whether young or old.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Quite curious to see how fares in this stage of his football career. Ferguson always relayed instructions to Wayne so I reckon he rated his footballing brain.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is it also a myth that he played through injuries and was rushed back in without being fully fit? It never ceases to amaze me how much some players were excused, like Pogba for example, whilst Rooney never got the benefit of the doubt.

If we actually build a proper squad around Rooney when Ronaldo left, we would have dominated the league even more and been more successful in Europe. He was right to question the ambitions of the club, he never questioned Sir Alex or his ability to manage the team, it was always about not bringing in enough top class talents, whether young or old.
Many top players play through injuries, it's literally the difference in mentality between some top players and rest. Sometimes it's smart, sometimes it's stupid(like he did after that Bayern injury). But Rooney also played many times when he was shite for months, and few years into his retirements when he should have been no more than squad player he was a certain starter, not one United player in last 20 years had that option except Rooney.