Wayne Rooney | New Plymouth Head Coach

MiceOnMeth

The romanticist in me was half hoping that tweet was going to link him to the United job

mancsarered

Why is he subjecting himself to this? If he wants to manage that bad without dedicating his entire life to it, he should've stuck to jobs in the United States.

spe88

Why is he subjecting himself to this? If he wants to manage that bad without dedicating his entire life to it, he should've stuck to jobs in the United States.
It’s a good opportunity and a much better job than managing anywhere in the US. They seem to have a good setup at Plymouth.

Derby was in trouble when he was there, and didn’t get a transfer window at Birmingham and they went down anyway. He knows the Plymouth DOF from Everton so you’d think they know each other well. It’s now or never for him.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Chipper

Adulterer.
He should become a number 2 under an elite coach before his next manager job.
I know he's going Plymouth now, but wanted to comment anyway.

That sounds good, but how do you do it? Elite managers often have their own preferred team. In cases where they don't appoint someone they've worked with before it's often through a connection with a club and already coaching there or they're an ex-teammate of the manager.

How many elites are there anyway? I'd say 10 at most, but maybe you meant more. It would certainly be hard to declare you want to be a number 2 to a top 10 manager and get the gig. There'd be a lot of waiting around for a vacancy as well.

It would be unsual for someone with a taste of management to become an assistant too. That doesn't seem to happen much, maybe it's an ego thing.

frostbite

I know he's going Plymouth now, but wanted to comment anyway.

That sounds good, but how do you do it? Elite managers often have their own preferred team. In cases where they don't appoint someone they've worked with before it's often through a connection with a club and already coaching there or they're an ex-teammate of the manager.

How many elites are there anyway? I'd say 10 at most, but maybe you meant more. It would certainly be hard to declare you want to be a number 2 to a top 10 manager and get the gig. There'd be a lot of waiting around for a vacancy as well.

It would be unsual for someone with a taste of management to become an assistant too. That doesn't seem to happen much, maybe it's an ego thing.
The whole idea is meaningless. How many of SAF's assistants became great managers of their own? How many of Pep's or Mourinho's or Klopp's or Ancelotti's assistants? It is not like you are the assistant of a great cook and you learn the secret of the magic sauce. The challenges for each club are unique, and you need to have the personality and the ability, it is not something specific you can learn from a master.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
cor, no end of grannies in that part of the world. he’ll be red raw come the end of preseason.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I admire him that he wants to try instead of taking the easy Overlap money.

You know what to expect when it doesn’t go well, the abuse from fans, guys like Simon Jordan ridiculing you on the radio, but he is willing to take the tough jobs and give it a go.

The likes of Lampard weren’t prepared to drop down and put in the work despite saying how much they wanted it.

I hope it works out for him and fair play to him for giving it a go.

Coxy

I admire him that he wants to try instead of taking the easy Overlap money.

You know what to expect when it doesn’t go well, the abuse from fans, guys like Simon Jordan ridiculing you on the radio, but he is willing to take the tough jobs and give it a go.

The likes of Lampard weren’t prepared to drop down and put in the work despite saying how much they wanted it.

I hope it works out for him and fair play to him for giving it a go.
Didn’t they announce him joining the overlap just the other day??

Maluco

Didn’t they announce him joining the overlap just the other day??
They did yeah, this must have come out of the blue! It’s fair play walking away from that cushy number to get into the trenches at Plymouth!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Dire club. Growing up in Cornwall they were the closest league club so I had one eye on them and my god are they just so irrelevant in every way.

Chipper

Adulterer.
The whole idea is meaningless. How many of SAF's assistants became great managers of their own? How many of Pep's or Mourinho's or Klopp's or Ancelotti's assistants? It is not like you are the assistant of a great cook and you learn the secret of the magic sauce. The challenges for each club are unique, and you need to have the personality and the ability, it is not something specific you can learn from a master.

All good points! Was never going to happen was it? :lol:

German football seems to have done alright at producing managers from former assistants in recent years, but even then it wasn't at elite clubs. They'd often shine at a good but not great Bundesliga clubs after being given the chance before getting a bigger job up near the top. Echoing something you said, it's not something you can just learn anyway, you need the personality and ability.

Might have to go all the way back to Liverpool and what they did with Shankly, Paisley and Fagan for an example of it happening with repeated success.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Anyway, Plymouth - anyone know much about them?

I don't, but they seem to be ambitious. I know they fired the previous manager after a very short spell with poor results, and that Morgan Whittaker had a great campaign. Would think they're going to lose him which means they're probably going to struggle whoever they appoint. Without him they'd have almost certainly have been relegated this past season.

On paper I'd have thought Championship survival is decent for them as they've historically not done much more than that. I remember when Peter Reid went there when they were in severe financial problems and in a lovely act sold some medals of his to pay the player's wages.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
German football seems to have done alright at producing managers from former assistants in recent years, but even then it wasn't at elite clubs. They'd often shine at a good but not great Bundesliga clubs after being given the chance before getting a bigger job up near the top.
I hope for you that no Dortmund fan reads this, as Edin Terzic is one of those former assistants. Surely they'll claim they are an elite club, after all they are in the CL final :lol:

OleGunnar20

As said above fairplay to him for taking these jobs that many high profile former players don't seem to go for. Having said that, ive got Blues supporting family so always keep an eye and jesus, his spell at Birmingham was dire, even by their basket case of a club standards.

Plymouth have always been touted as a well run, data-driven club, so this feels like an odd appointment.

But the guys a legend. What I'd do to have prime Rooney in our 11 next season. Hopefully he smashes it.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Anyway, Plymouth - anyone know much about them?

I don't, but they seem to be ambitious. I know they fired the previous manager after a very short spell with poor results, and that Morgan Whittaker had a great campaign. Would think they're going to lose him which means they're probably going to struggle whoever they appoint. Without him they'd have almost certainly have been relegated this past season.

On paper I'd have thought Championship survival is decent for them as they've historically not done much more than that. I remember when Peter Reid went there when they were in severe financial problems and in a lovely act sold some medals of his to pay the player's wages.
Yeah, been quite well run in the last few years and last season were fantastic in league one but will struggle again in the championship without new investment. It's pretty obvious that the resources of other championship clubs spending are not there and unwilling to go into massive debt for the playing squad. Rooney has a chance here to revive his manager career I think, as expectations are not high, especially after Foster who was a disaster. (I don't know why a club would hire an assistant manager to a subpar manager in Gerrard from the Saudi league, I thought that was idiotic)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s a bit of both in the modern game I think. You can learn far more about tactics and shape from a world class manager as an assistant than ever before. How to train, act and behave in a top tier environment.

But you’ll fall apart if you can’t manage personalities, both individuals and a collective.

Carrick, Alonso, Gerrard, Bruce, Lampard, Arteta all played under world class managers.

I don’t think anyone would say it’s an accident that the three most tactically astute players of those 6 look set to be the best managers. But I truly believe that Lampard, Gerrard and Bruce were exceptional man manager's, when compared to the average. All demonstrated it at sub premier league level.

Rooney himself said that he’d become Peps assistant in a heartbeat. He’d value it over the Plymouth role. It matters.

saivet

Fair play to him for giving the managerial stuff a proper go. Other top players have managed better teams and more or less given up on a serious football management career. Peers like Gerrard in Saudi and Lampard not up to much these days too.

Maluco

Yeah, Lampard would never have accepted a job at a Championship club.
He did, left, and never went back despite having offers and reported rejections from even smaller premier league clubs, like Norwich.

He only wanted the big jobs after Derby and he didn’t really do enough there to get them.

He would be working in the Championship now if he wanted it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Dire club. Growing up in Cornwall they were the closest league club so I had one eye on them and my god are they just so irrelevant in every way.
Huge respect for their fanbase though. Ridiculous distances they cover every year and they sell out most away allocations.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He did, left, and never went back despite having offers and reported rejections from even smaller premier league clubs, like Norwich.

He only wanted the big jobs after Derby and he didn’t really do enough there to get them.

He would be working in the Championship now if he wanted it.
Lampard has managed a side to qualification for the champions league, Rooney got a side relegated to league 1. Of course they're at different points in their career now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lampard has managed a side to qualification for the champions league, Rooney got a side relegated to league 1. Of course they're at different points in their career now.
Bit harsh to say Rooney got them relegated. He was sacked on the 2nd of January. I agree with your overall point though.

EDIT: Ah forgot about Derby, but again harsh as they had a massive points deduction and would have been safe with ease if it wasn't for it.

Last edited:

Maluco

Lamps very nearly relegated a mid table Premier League team, so I don’t think the comparison really holds.

Just because you lucked into a big job as an ex-star for that club, doesn’t mean you are ready for that level of management.

RedRocket9908

That's unfair on Rooney, without the massive point deduction they would have finished well clear of the relegation zone.

IRN-BRUno

This seems like another poor decision from him. His reputation is pretty much at rock bottom and he's now putting himself into another relegation battle. He spoke on The Overlap about being open to dropping down the leagues for the right opportunity so he'd be better off waiting for a side that can compete for the play-offs or higher in League 1 or 2.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Seems a strange appointment for both sides, Plymouth have been a well run club over the last few years and steered clear of big name appointments, and I don't see why Rooney would want to get into management again.

Maybe they've appointed him because he saved them from relegation last season!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems a strange appointment for both sides, Plymouth have been a well run club over the last few years and steered clear of big name appointments, and I don't see why Rooney would want to get into management again.

Maybe they've appointed him because he saved them from relegation last season!
He's made it pretty clear he wants to be a manager. Not sure why he wouldn't want to. Think Derby and DC were both decent moves for him to develop and he made a faux Pas with Birmingham but he seems to not have the arrogance to think any job is beneath him. That's quite refreshing for big name players.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
He's made it pretty clear he wants to be a manager. Not sure why he wouldn't want to. Think Derby and DC were both decent moves for him to develop and he made a faux Pas with Birmingham but he seems to not have the arrogance to think any job is beneath him. That's quite refreshing for big name players.
Why would he want to more like? Most manager jobs end in failure and ultimately the sack and with respect the chances of success with Plymouth must be small.

Few big name players go into management nowadays, I can only think of Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick recently with John Terry having a dabble, they don't need the money and if they want to stay in the game there are less stressful ways like academy coaching or media work.

Fair play to him for putting himself out there, but I'd be surprised if he was still there this time next year..

Trequarista10

Why would he want to more like? Most manager jobs end in failure and ultimately the sack and with respect the chances of success with Plymouth must be small.

Few big name players go into management nowadays, I can only think of Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick recently with John Terry having a dabble, they don't need the money and if they want to stay in the game there are less stressful ways like academy coaching or media work.

Fair play to him for putting himself out there, but I'd be surprised if he was still there this time next year..
My suspicion is that Wayne is someone who needs the structure and day to day involvement in football, given his history of various vices. He just seems like the sort of person who would go off the rails a bit if he was unemployed, or rocking up to be a talking head once or twice a week.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Because he lives and breathes football and enjoys managing if you've ever seen interviews with him. Some ex players love punditry, some don't. Some love coaching, some don't. Some love managing, some don't. Rooney loves it all.