Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Josh 76

I've never seen a manager so disliked by the majority of a fanbase so quickly.
Yeah, it's very strange.
The only ones that spring to mind were George Graham at Spurs and Benitez at Chelsea. But they both had history. The Rooney one at Birmingham is puzzling.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Don't think they dislike Rooney, moreso the decision to bring him in over Eustace.

Been very unlucky with the start he has had,

philnguyen1994

Looking like Lampards spell with us last year so far.

Neither surprising given their prior records as managers.
There's a Chelsea connection here. Ashley Cole is going down with the Rooney ship as his assistant. Our O'Shea too.

Surrounding himself with mates is probably another mistake by Rooney.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I’ll always want him to do well as he’s my fave Utd player of the past… well, probably since Bryan Robson tbh!

But he just doesn’t convince me as a manager.

I think part of the issue with top players becoming managers is that they want to be top managers and think it’ll be a natural progression.

Like you can see Rooney’s trying to model himself on Klopp with his outfits and ‘no fear football’, but he’d be better to aim for what Dyche or Pulis have achieved as established PL managers - and if he has the magic to go to the next level, it’ll happen.

Guys like Rooney or Gerrard are clearly gonna be managerial workhorses, or journeymen - essentially the exact opposite of what they were as players.

And I think that discrepancy makes it hard for them to readjust and approach the role with their own limitations in mind.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is going to be a disaster that might see him having to drop down into league 1/2 for his next managerial job

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Don't think they dislike Rooney, moreso the decision to bring him in over Eustace.

Been very unlucky with the start he has had,
doubly tricky with villa soaring so highly. also the rumours that he’s missing training sessions to prowl around the bingo halls of the midlands.

Champ

Rooney's a fraud ...makes a sub to change the game. :lol:

Acquire Me

My mate who is a Blues fan wants him gone already :D
People got no patience anymore. I should be happy. The same thing happens when I sell them things and earn money. I love to use triggers who play with time. Or people’s lack of patience. Fear of loss and lack of patience are wonderful when selling, but very irritating in football.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Bro I was in the stands and said to the 2 lads beside me he ain't a United manager.

LVG bored me to death. Think we had something like ten 0-0's at HT in a row.
Irrelevant. The post you were quoting said "majority of the fanbase".

philnguyen1994

3-1. Southampton missed a couple of chances at 2-0 and made a mistake at the back allowing Brum to get 1 back. Nervy for Soton for a bit after the goal as Brum got into the game more, then Rooney made a double sub that seemed to just take all the momentum out unfortunately.

Last edited:

Champ

3-1. Southampton missed a couple of chances at 2-0 and made a mistake at the back allowing Brum to get 1 back. Nervy for Soton for a bit after the goal as Brum got into the game more, then Rooney made a double sub that seemed to just take all the momentum out unfortunately.
Yeah, was strange, Rooney brought on Stansfield which turned the game in Brums favour only to undo that by bringing off the big guy up top who was winning every header.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What's with the revionist nonsense in here and an eagerness for him to fail?

Those tooting now better have been doing so when he was at Derby, otherwise it's more than a little suspect.

Rooney going to Birmingham when they were doing well and familiarised with a system the players mightn't have believed even needed changing isn't the measure of anything. How often the managers come into teams who are doing well as opposed to tanking and in desperate need of a pick-me-up? It's got to be thr least surprising to see players dragging heels and needing time to get with the program and new regime under such conditions.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
People got no patience anymore. I should be happy. The same thing happens when I sell them things and earn money. I love to use triggers who play with time. Or people’s lack of patience. Fear of loss and lack of patience are wonderful when selling, but very irritating in football.
I can understand their annoyance on this instance to be fair. But yeah, still mega early. It’s looking a stupid decision so far though.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I’ll always want him to do well as he’s my fave Utd player of the past… well, probably since Bryan Robson tbh!

But he just doesn’t convince me as a manager.

I think part of the issue with top players becoming managers is that they want to be top managers and think it’ll be a natural progression.

Like you can see Rooney’s trying to model himself on Klopp with his outfits and ‘no fear football’, but he’d be better to aim for what Dyche or Pulis have achieved as established PL managers - and if he has the magic to go to the next level, it’ll happen.

Guys like Rooney or Gerrard are clearly gonna be managerial workhorses, or journeymen - essentially the exact opposite of what they were as players.

And I think that discrepancy makes it hard for them to readjust and approach the role with their own limitations in mind.
Great post, lots of interesting points well made.

Most top players would certainly aspire to have a Zidane-like coaching careers but that’s very very unlikely.

Also, it shouldn’t be all or nothing, not being a Pep/Klopp doesn’t mean you’re not a good manager. Many coaches have had fantastic careers which they can be proud of without necessarily being top tier national league or CL champions.

Varun1

Looking like Lampards spell with us last year so far.

Neither surprising given their prior records as managers.
Was a stupid appointment in the first place

They was in the play off spots and they sacked the manager? they deserve everything they get.

I love Wayne but he's shown absolutely nothing as a manager to appoint him in the way they did.
Not saying he's a good or bad manager... but why are we ignoring that he did well before this, especially at Derby!

Reactions: Fortitude

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Also, it shouldn’t be all or nothing, not being a Pep/Klopp doesn’t mean you’re not a good manager. Many coaches have had fantastic careers which they can be proud of without necessarily being top tier national league or CL champions.
Completely agree, a career of an Allardyce, Hodgson, Pardew or even Dyche etc is actually an amazing achievement - they’re in the upper 0.1% of all pro football managers, yet, due to media, and / or fan culture, they’re almost viewed as ‘failures’ at times.

You see the same with players. ‘Neymar’s a failure’ etc… because he’s not Messi or Ronaldo.

Or a player that is Championship level is viewed as a ‘failure’, rather than what they are - an incredibly successful athlete.

But yeah, it definitely rubs off on great players who go into coaching and want to quickly become a ‘great coach’ and just can’t see that they’re not at that level.

Acquire Me

I can understand their annoyance on this instance to be fair. But yeah, still mega early. It’s looking a stupid decision so far though.
It might be, I don’t know much about them tbh. Just it’s so early still.

Castia

Not saying he's a good or bad manager... but why are we ignoring that he did well before this, especially at Derby!
No doubt it was a tough situation at Derby but they ultimately went down. He’s done nothing in America either.

Not sure who the feck is advising him by the way, such a random cluster of clubs to start his career at.

Bobski

It is hard to believe he is only 38, and that he could be conceivably still be playing at some level.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Well im totally surprised that the charismatic, erudite, curious, wise, self-disciplined, Wayne Mark Rooney has not thrived in management.

philnguyen1994

Ipswich came back from 2-0 down to draw the game unfortunately ... Well, at least, it's Rooney's first point at Brum.

Last edited: