Wayne Rooney, The Midfield General? Mourinho Says No.

What should we do with Rooney ?

• Keep him as a starting XI player

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Sell him

Votes: 221 64.8%
  • Keep him as a squad player

Votes: 97 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Fcuks sake. Rooney and Zlatan up front and Martial & Rashford on the bench it is then.

prateik

Now the the right time for some Chinese club to put in a bid.. Actually, that can happen anytime. Their transfer windows might extend beyond Aug..
He'll get his "chance" and then be moved on...

One can dream

prarek

Huge respect to Mourinho for having the balls to say that, every other manager has been scared to say anything against Rooney.

Riz

Not sure how to take those Mourinho comments on Rooney. Him "never being a 6, not even an 8" obviously means he's either going to play 9 or 10. Which would suggest:

Ibra
Martial - Rooney - Mkhi
That'd be a bit slow through the middle for me. Only hope is Mourinho said he'd "maybe be a 10" suggesting it's not nailed on. Hopefully it's a squad role.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Obviously José has an agenda.

Shark

@NotShark
Not sure how to take those Mourinho comments on Rooney. Him "never being a 6, not even an 8" obviously means he's either going to play 9 or 10. Which would suggest:

Ibra
Martial - Rooney - Mkhi
That'd be a bit slow through the middle for me. Only hope is Mourinho said he'd "maybe be a 10" suggesting it's not nailed on. Hopefully it's a squad role.
More than enough pace and trickery on the wings to make up for it though imo. Rooney is still ace in front of goal, don't think anyone can deny that. He'll get enough chances now that we've injected the quality to create those chances.

Castia

He'll play just behind Ibra with Mik and Martial out wide imo

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From those comments in the pressed thread, sounds like he's slowly shifting him towards the exit door. Great news.
That's exactly what I got. Limit his positions to funnel to when things go wrong, and actively criticise something pundits tend to lazily praise him for. Wouldn't be surprised if most managers actually think the same way but are a bit too timid to say anything on it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I still think he is worth a place in the team especially if we sell Mata, though it is a bit marginal and could become more so.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
You've also got to think that Rooney might get a bit of a prod with this. He might come back better with a new manager.

My only concern would be if Jose continued to play him even though he wasn't producing the goods. Which is what happened previously. Who can forget the "My captain always plays" from Van Gaal.

NinjaFletch

I like how the Caf's desperation to see him sold manages to see this as 'shifting him towards the exit door'.

This is the BBC's interpretation of the same quotes:

Jose Mourinho says Wayne Rooney will play a big part in his plans

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Somewhere in Ibiza, Wayne puts down his pint and debates whether to phone Paul Stretford or to do some push-ups...

Yik

Does anyone else think that this is the way Rooney gets to know about Jose's decision about him? I feel like it is.

Is this is meant to be a kick up the arse to Rooney, ensuring he doesn't get any ideas about being a midfielder in the upcoming season? And making sure he's focused only on being a forward. Could backfire though seeing as Rooney may see this as being set up to fail. He himself has said multiple times that he sees himself in midfield so to be told this, point blank and so early on, would be quite shocking to him. I imagine he's spent a decent chunk of the previous year being coached as a midfielder by LVG.

And if its not to encourage him, the message seems to be, "You can be a midfielder all you like. Just not at United."

Yik

Somewhere in Ibiza, Wayne puts down his pint and debates whether to phone Paul Stretford or to do some push-ups...
YES! Thats exactly it. Good to know thats what it came across to others as well. Shape up or ship out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's a lot of people getting ahead of themselves a bit but its a good start of course. Can't see him play anywhere but #10, but at the same time he will be first choice there. Mkhitaryan will be right wing, leaving competition for the 10 being..... mata (obvious no for Mourinho), herrera who will be more squad player and fellaini (yeah right). Or young players like memphis and januzaj. So basically its easy for rooney unless he shits the bed and herrera puts in great performances and scores consistently.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mata is leaving, Fellaini will probably following his lead and MKhitaryan will probably play as RW. Rooney should easily compete for the no 10 role

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
WOW, never thought i'd hear the day a coach actually told the truth. So many people have had the wool pulled over their eyes by coaches talking crap. Rooney is an awful midfielder in technique terms, but he has a good engine which masks it.

Glad Jose is looking for somebody who can actually pass under pressure :drool:

settembrini

Imo Rooney should demand a transfer. He can't be letting the manager tell him where to play like this.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thank god for that.