Wayne Rooney, The Midfield General? Mourinho Says No.

What should we do with Rooney ?

• Keep him as a starting XI player

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Sell him

Votes: 221 64.8%
  • Keep him as a squad player

Votes: 97 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PepsiCola

He scored 15 goals last season.

If we can become a team who creates chances, then Rooney will score goals. No doubt about that. He's still a very good finisher.
A fair amount came against fodder teams and then a purple patch in January. He showed in the first half of the season he couldn't be relied on up top. People who believe otherwise have selective memory.

Jose was careful with his words but he started his answer to the Rooney question stating he may no longer be a no.9 which is telling imho.

Should be sign Pogba I doubt we'll play with a no.10 to start. It'd point to a 433 formation. Should we start with 451 it's only a matter of time until Rooney is dropped imho.

Rada

This finally puts an end to people trying convincing themselves and everybody that Rooney is a midfielder, Rooney included. Soon we will finally see him on his best position, on the bench.

PepsiCola

I'm just happy that this seems to end the discussion of 'where will Rooney play' and shifted it to 'will Rooney play?'.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
All those games he put in good 90 minute performances and we didn't praise him. Shame on us. Your standards for a good performance and other people's aren't matching up, it's not an agenda, people just expect more of Manchester United players than you. People have a right to deny he had a good performance if they don't think he had one or if it comes with caveats. He's not a sacred cow to be protected, he's a footballer that's not delivered.
This is why I asked my previous question. Are you denying he has had any good performances in 2016? If not, are you denying there are those that say those good performances were actually bad?

Walters_19_MuFc

A fair amount came against fodder teams and then a purple patch in January. He showed in the first half of the season he couldn't be relied on up top. People who believe otherwise have selective memory.

Jose was careful with his words but he started his answer to the Rooney question stating he may no longer be a no.9 which is telling imho.

Should be sign Pogba I doubt we'll play with a no.10 to start. It'd point to a 433 formation. Should we start with 451 it's only a matter of time until Rooney is dropped imho.
Fodder or not, you still have to score goals. And funnily enough, Rooney started scoring when we started creating chances (mainly because Martial out wide).

That said, I clearly said that I don't think Rooney will be played uptop, and that I doubt Jose will play him there often, if at all.

If we sign Pogba, I believe he will play as the 8, with Schneiderlin as the 6 and Rooney as the 10. Think that's what it initially could be, but it could change.

Rooney/Herrera
Schneiderlin/Carrick Pogba/Schweinstiger

More than enough options there. Anyone who doesn't perform will be dropped, not just Rooney.​

Art Vandelay

This is why I asked my previous question. Are you denying he has had any good performances in 2016? If not, are you denying there are those that say those good performances were actually bad?
Yes, I am. He's had good spells in matches, but he's not put in a 90 minute good performance. Those good spells have generally come against awful teams that stood off him or just couldn't be arsed. Overall he's been decent at best and in no way should be earning universal praise for his 2016 performances.

There are people that think his performances were bad, what's the problem with that? Just because you happen to think they were good doesn't mean they were good and you can't just dismiss people as having an agenda.

sugar_kane

Quite a contentious start to proceedings for Jose (not that I disagree with anything he has said) especially considering a few weeks ago Rooney himself said he was re-inventing himself as a midfielder.

Hope we don't see the briefing machine against Jose start following these comments.

Best outcome for both parties now is that Rooney gets his scoring record and then is gradually phased out.

shamans

Yes, I am. He's had good spells in matches, but he's not put in a 90 minute good performance. Those good spells have generally come against awful teams that stood off him or just couldn't be arsed. Overall he's been decent at best and in no way should be earning universal praise for his 2016 performances.

There are people that think his performances were bad, what's the problem with that? Just because you happen to think they were good doesn't mean they were good and you can't just dismiss people as having an agenda.
Well you keep talking about this universal praise that I haven't asked for. Also, that I am the only person here who thinks Rooney has played well in those games he has.

First of all, I disagree with you that he hasn't had a good 90 minutes in 2016, so maybe it is not worth arguing this point. But incase you still did not understand my point about people having an agenda, look at back at some of the threads where an overwhelming majority believe Rooney performed well but there are a few out there that will critisize some silly aspect of his game.

Shimo

To me a 6 is defensive mid and 8 more of a box-to-box mid in a 442 but, what about in a 4-3-3? Is the 3rd midfielder really a 10 - still a midfielder but, a more attacking one? The way I see it is that Mou is just not going to have Rooney play further back in midfield and try control the game from there but, have an impact in creating/controlling from higher up the pitch and still be able to contribute goals. I don't think he'll necessarily play striker unless in an emergency but, still end up in a midfield role without having to drop deep.

RedElf

Quite a contentious start to proceedings for Jose (not that I disagree with anything he has said) especially considering a few weeks ago Rooney himself said he was re-inventing himself as a midfielder.

Hope we don't see the briefing machine against Jose start following these comments.

Best outcome for both parties now is that Rooney gets his scoring record and then is gradually phased out.
Was that more for his cause in getting selected for England? He was behind Vardy, Kane, Sturridge, and possibly Rashford.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One of Jose's gifts as a manager is keeping players happy even when they're not playing so it's not totally inconceivable that Rooney won't be benched but I do feel it's far more likely we'll see him operate in the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 formation now Jose has spoke

Who Ate All Depay's

Really is hard to tell what the plan is for him especially after this season because at times he has looked like a sunday league player. Admittedly I am not his biggest fan but he just isn't a midfielder, he isn't a goalscorer and he isn't going to assist many goals due to his penchant for the raking pass out to the wing which takes about an hour to land, kills our rare counter attacks and let's the opposition reorganise. Unless he starts getting the ball forward a lot quicker or has a freak goalscoring season I can't justify him taking a starting position.

settembrini

I don't know why most people are taking Mourinho's comments on Rooney as a negative. I bet Rooney will love those comments.
I bet he'll hate them myself.

He failed badly as a forward last season and has been talking himself up as a midfielder for months now. It's clear that's where he saw his best chance of remaining relevant for club and country. Mourinho has just thrown all that out the window (with a little dig at his passing) and told him he will be competing for the same positions where two of his new signings can both play.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

He failed badly as a forward last season and has been talking himself up as a midfielder for months now. It's clear that's where he saw his best chance of remaining relevant for club and country. Mourinho has just thrown all that out the window (with a little dig at his passing) and told him he will be competing for the same positions where two of his new signings can both play.
His performance for England and his attempts at captaincy in that game will have given people, including our new manager serious doubts. Wayne needed to show up in the most important game for his country for years and he failed miserably and I can well imagine he will receive quite a lot of flak from away fans next season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why would he hate it? He prefers to play higher up. He wants goals.

No way has he been 'talking himself up as a midfielder'. He was asked, and he said he probably sees himself going there in the next few years.

If anything, Mourinho passed him a compliment by saying a player who is so good in front of goal, should not be 50 metres away from goal, and when you think about it, he's right. The guy's nearly our top goalscorer. He should be playing closer to goal, as he is still a very good finisher, given the chance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like Ferguson, Mourinho is a manager who excels through dominance. Fergie’s mantra that ‘no player was bigger than this club’ was actually a twist on the reality: No player was bigger than him, as David Beckham and Jaap Stam learned. Mourinho’s arrival promises a return to that totalitarian control.

The personification of this quest for total authority is Wayne Rooney. After announcing his retirement, Ferguson made the point of throwing Rooney and his agent Paul Stretford under the bus by revealing the player’s transfer request, the final two-finger salute of a bitter feud between dictator and dissenting subject.

When David Moyes arrived, Rooney was again made persona grata, ego and bank balance flattered to the tune of a new five-and-a-half-year contract worth £300,000 a week. Even Van Gaal, that supposed ‘Iron Tulip’, made Rooney his captain, publicly labelled him the club’s No. 1 striker and handed him a midfield role when the goals and creativity dried up. All the while, Rooney knew he had more friends in the press than Van Gaal.

It didn’t take Mourinho long to dilute Rooney’s significance at Old Trafford. “Maybe he is not a striker anymore, or a nine, but with me he will never be a six playing 50 metres from the goal,” United’s new manager said during his unveiling. “He will be a nine, a 10, a nine and a half, but not a six or eight. You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is amazing too without pressure.”

‘Pow!’ and ‘Thwack!’ are the appropriate noises to make; the biggest rival to Mourinho’s sovereignty had been belittled. It took three years for Rooney to perfect his status as the most powerful man at Old Trafford; it took Jose Mourinho 30 minutes to destroy his reign.

The criticism that Mourinho’s style goes against the ‘United way’ has lost credence. As soon as Manchester City appointed Pep Guardiola, their rivals needed to respond with their own trump card. The allegation that Mourinho is addicted to winning at all costs will quickly transform into a compliment should the victories become an avalanche.

“For many years, Manchester United success was just routine, and their last three years are to forget,” said Mourinho has he held court at Old Trafford for the first time. Wayne Rooney will be all too aware of his prominent role in that spell in the wilderness. Manchester United’s captain may well be the first casualty of this fallen giant being hauled back to its feet by the one man who relishes the weight of expectation.
Daniel Storey.

dichinero

Majority of fans are certainly not unified on his performances. Whether he should be a part of Man United? Yeah, the majority are (sort of) Unified on that (which is also a stretch).

I am talking performances. Those that simply deny his good performances have an agenda. They can't admit that he had a good performance, even though they don't want to see a United team go forward with him.
I get what you are saying but I don't think fans have a personal agenda against Rooney. Why should they? I am not a fan of Rooney as a footballer, never have but it should not deter me from admitting a good performance if I deem it so. The same way that I am a big fan of Iniesta but if he has a poor performance, it has to be said. I feel most fans here are the same way too. Fans should not be obliged to like a player but to love the club. So they will or should speak from what benefits the club as a whole.

If fans don't think Rooney did not have a good performance, it's a matter of opinion and nothing personal. Fans judge performances differently too. What many consider a wonderful performance on here is nothing more than an average performance IMO. Also, fans are not obliged to add more points to a player because he plays for United or because of his status or past history. If Rooney was a Lithuanian player, playing for City I can guarantee you that the same Rooney fans will tear into him. We did it to Gerrard and Lampard, why should Rooney be any different?

It's not an agenda to criticise a players. Is it not an agenda when Rooney gets an 8/10 for his Euro performances?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

No way has he been 'talking himself up as a midfielder'. He was asked, and he said he probably sees himself going there in the next few years.

If anything, Mourinho passed him a compliment by saying a player who is so good in front of goal, should not be 50 metres away from goal, and when you think about it, he's right. The guy's nearly our top goalscorer. He should be playing closer to goal, as he is still a very good finisher, given the chance.
On the Eve of the euros, journalists based at the England camp said Rooney told Hodgson he wanted to play in midfield. His comments before the tournament suggest he wanted it also.

Art Vandelay

Well you keep talking about this universal praise that I haven't asked for. Also, that I am the only person here who thinks Rooney has played well in those games he has.

First of all, I disagree with you that he hasn't had a good 90 minutes in 2016, so maybe it is not worth arguing this point. But incase you still did not understand my point about people having an agenda, look at back at some of the threads where an overwhelming majority believe Rooney performed well but there are a few out there that will critisize some silly aspect of his game.
You've not asked for universal praise, but anyone who doesn't think he's been good in the games you think he's been good has an agenda.

So what if he's getting some praise during matches? It doesn't mean anyone that thinks he isn't playing well is wrong or has an agenda. It's a tired, lazy and desperate defence that gets flung around far too easily.

Maybe we need a set of rules for having an opinion on him so we can avoid having agendas:

• Don't mention the wages. Mentioning the wages is equal to or greater than having an agenda.
  • If someone says he played well and you don't agree then you have an agenda and you should shut up.
  • Only the half where he looked decent counts. If you notice the other 45 minutes then you have an agenda.
  • He's not playing in his proper position. If you remember the reason he's in his current position is because he failed in the other one then you have an agenda.
  • Any doubt this year is his year means you have an agenda.
Look I do get what you're saying. Maybe you have a point, maybe you don't. Either way it's coming across as "I thought he played well that night and saw some other people thinking he played well, therefore anyone who doesn't think it has an agenda."

Theatre of Screams

On the Eve of the euros, journalists based at the England camp said Rooney told Hodgson he wanted to play in midfield. His comments before the tournament suggest he wanted it also.
Rooney changes his opinion about his favored position as often as the weather changes.

One week he claims he likes to play deeper because he sees more of the ball, the next week he'll tell you he prefers it up top and points to his best ever season for us being in that position.

shamans

I get what you are saying but I don't think fans have a personal agenda against Rooney. Why should they? I am not a fan of Rooney as a footballer, never have but it should not deter me from admitting a good performance if I deem it so. The same way that I am a big fan of Iniesta but if he has a poor performance, it has to be said. I feel most fans here are the same way too. Fans should not be obliged to like a player but to love the club. So they will or should speak from what benefits the club as a whole.

If fans don't think Rooney did not have a good performance, it's a matter of opinion and nothing personal. Fans judge performances differently too. What many consider a wonderful performance on here is nothing more than an average performance IMO. Also, fans are not obliged to add more points to a player because he plays for United or because of his status or past history. If Rooney was a Lithuanian player, playing for City I can guarantee you that the same Rooney fans will tear into him. We did it to Gerrard and Lampard, why should Rooney be any different?

It's not an agenda to criticise a players. Is it not an agenda when Rooney gets an 8/10 for his Euro performances?

The thing is when he gets man of the match and praises from people on here (who don't like him and want him to leave) and experts, it is hard for me to believe that some of his fans (who coincidently want him to leave) say that he had a bad game.

As for why they do that, some fans think in a very binary way. They can't agree that he had a good game, while agreeing he isn't needed for the future. Others have a problem with his salary and will bring it up in his performances. Then there are those that dislike him for what he did in 2010. Those fans, in my view, have an agenda.

parisite

because he knew he wasn't getting a game anywhere near the sharp end. Rooney is a failing star, prepared to play anywhere to get his name on the team sheet...hopefully anywhere includes somewhere else.

shamans

You've not asked for universal praise, but anyone who doesn't think he's been good in the games you think he's been good has an agenda.

So what if he's getting some praise during matches? It doesn't mean anyone that thinks he isn't playing well is wrong or has an agenda. It's a tired, lazy and desperate defence that gets flung around far too easily.

Maybe we need a set of rules for having an opinion on him so we can avoid having agendas:

• Don't mention the wages. Mentioning the wages is equal to or greater than having an agenda.
  • If someone says he played well and you don't agree then you have an agenda and you should shut up.
  • Only the half where he looked decent counts. If you notice the other 45 minutes then you have an agenda.
  • He's not playing in his proper position. If you remember the reason he's in his current position is because he failed in the other one then you have an agenda.
  • Any doubt this year is his year means you have an agenda.
Look I do get what you're saying. Maybe you have a point, maybe you don't. Either way it's coming across as "I thought he played well that night and saw some other people thinking he played well, therefore anyone who doesn't think it has an agenda."
No. Not what I think. I think he's good in quite a lot of games but like I mentioned, there are some games in which he gets the MOTM, praise from most on this forum and experts but the usual suspects will say "terrible outing from him today".

The points you listed are not productive to what you are arguing. The wage part I do agree with. Mixing his wages with his performances does not make sense to me. I am not the club financial accountant. As a supporter, all I should be concerned about is the performance on the pitch, not my return on invest per pound that I pay.

Saying some people have an agenda is not a lazy term thrown around in the case(s) I mentioned.

EDIT: and it's not just that people don't think he played well that night. They think he was laughably poor when the guy won the MOTM or something.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Penny for the thoughts of Rooney right now. Will he roll his socks up and relish the challenge, or throw his toys out the pram?
All depends on how Mourinho delivers his message to Rooney himself. He could easily use this to fire the player up - telling him he's a striker with a natural gift for scoring goals and is wasted in midfield. Then it's up to Rooney to deliver.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeah. That's why Mou brought Ibra, I suppose. As a backup to Rooney.

settembrini

"I have played with some of the best midfielders England has produced in Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes and I'm not so naive to play with those players and not notice what they were doing, knowing that one day I would be playing in that position. I have watched them when playing with them and training with them and I have tried to take bits from each of them and add my own way of playing."

If this isn't Rooney talking himself up as a midfielder then what is?

I haven't seen any sign at all that Rooney wants to go back upfront. He was the privileged, undroppable captain for both Van Gaal and Hodgson and I don't believe he finished the season in midfield for both club and country against his wishes.

Walters_19_MuFc

Are there quotes?

Because he said after the Bournemouth game that he sees himself as a striker for England.

Sometimes, you have to make choices in your career and at the minute, it’s better for me to play deeper. I can still play as a striker for England, but for next season with Manchester United, I see myself playing (deeper).

Bare in mind that he only said he'd be playing deeper because I guess he thought Van Gaal be the manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ited-vs-bournemouth----rescheduled-game-live/

DomesticTadpole

Are there quotes?

Because he said after the Bournemouth game that he sees himself as a striker for England.

Sometimes, you have to make choices in your career and at the minute, it’s better for me to play deeper. I can still play as a striker for England, but for next season with Manchester United, I see myself playing (deeper).

Bare in mind that he only said he'd be playing deeper because I guess he thought Van Gaal be the manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ited-vs-bournemouth----rescheduled-game-live/
Then he should be seriously worried that LvG is not the manager. Also it is up to the manager what position he plays not Wayne.

Dobbs

I don't know why most people are taking Mourinho's comments on Rooney as a negative. I bet Rooney will love those comments.
Rooney's been talking for months about his ability and desire to be a midfielder. Studying Scholes etc. In his first press conference Mourinho dismisses that idea. You can't really believe Rooney will be happy about that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Beginning of the end for him.

Jose can now set him a clear expectation goals wise and hold him accountable when he doesn't achieve it.

No "transition" seasons into midfield to hide behind.

Art Vandelay

No. Not what I think. I think he's good in quite a lot of games but like I mentioned, there are some games in which he gets the MOTM, praise from most on this forum and experts but the usual suspects will say "terrible outing from him today".

The points you listed are not productive to what you are arguing. The wage part I do agree with. Mixing his wages with his performances does not make sense to me. I am not the club financial accountant. As a supporter, all I should be concerned about is the performance on the pitch, not my return on invest per pound that I pay.

Saying some people have an agenda is not a lazy term thrown around in the case(s) I mentioned.

EDIT: and it's not just that people don't think he played well that night. They think he was laughably poor when the guy won the MOTM or something.
Ok, if you admit that he's only been good in 2016 and therefore I'll assume you agree he was shit before that. Those same "experts" were wilfully ignoring his quite frankly atrocious performances for months and we're supposed to take their praise for him serious? Would you say they had an agenda when they were saying he was great while most fans were saying he was shit? Who had the agenda? Fans or "experts"? These are the same experts claiming he could be the new Scholes when he's done absolutely nothing to suggest that. Up until this morning those experts would still have you believe he's a great midfielder.

I'm not even having a go at you, I just find this whole agenda nonsense ridiculous. Some people just have standards he isn't meeting. Just because other people think he played well and the "experts" will praise him regardless doesn't mean he has met everyone's standards.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nope. Ibra is a target man. I suppose 'Mou' brought Ibra so he could play off him.
Jose doesn't see him as midfielder, and all his team so far use 4-3-3. Rooney on the wing would be very interesting to see, though.

Walters_19_MuFc

Then he should be seriously worried that LvG is not the manager. Also it is up to the manager what position he plays not Wayne.
Rooney was asked if he sees himself as a midfielder. Bare in mind he's had a good run of games in centre midfield. He said he can see himself playing as a midfielder (if Van Gaal was here) but now Mourinho is here, he obviously feels Rooney is better up the pitch, and to be fair, I probably agree. Rooney will have no problem with that.

He's a perfect 10/second striker for Mourinho. More so a few years ago then now, but given the chances, he will score goals, in my opinion.

shamans

Ok, if you admit that he's only been good in 2016 and therefore I'll assume you agree he was shit before that. Those same "experts" were wilfully ignoring his quite frankly atrocious performances for months and we're supposed to take their praise for him serious? Would you say they had an agenda when they were saying he was great while most fans were saying he was shit? Who had the agenda? Fans or "experts"? These are the same experts claiming he could be the new Scholes when he's done absolutely nothing to suggest that. Up until this morning those experts would still have you believe he's a great midfielder.

I'm not even having a go at you, I just find this whole agenda nonsense ridiculous. Some people just have standards he isn't meeting. Just because other people think he played well and the "experts" will praise him regardless doesn't mean he has met everyone's standards.
The experts play a part but it's not just them. It's also everyone on this forum. The experts are a bit slow to react to bigger names not playing as well anymore. When did they start saying Gerrard was playing poorly? Rooney is a big name and it is kind of expected that the experts wont be critisizing him even if he is playing terrible.

But that said, they wont be dishing out MOTM to someone that played shit right? There's difference between not calling out someone who has played terrible (which experts have not done with Rooney despite his 2015 year) and praising someone.

DomesticTadpole

Rooney was asked if he sees himself as a midfielder. Bare in mind he's had a good run of games in centre midfield. He said he can see himself playing as a midfielder (if Van Gaal was here) but now Mourinho is here, he obviously feels Rooney is better up the pitch, and to be fair, I probably agree. Rooney will have no problem with that.

He's a perfect 10/second striker for Mourinho. More so a few years ago then now, but given the chances, he will score goals, in my opinion.
He might as long as he stays where he should. One of his big faults is coming too deep, which Jose is saying he doesn't want him to do, to get involved. For him to be successful he will have to show discipline and stay up front to get on the end of these chances or to create around the box. It will be no good if Wayne goes walkabout and is still hovering round the defensive positions when we are charging upfield.

Walters_19_MuFc

Jose doesn't see him as midfielder, and all his team so far use 4-3-3. Rooney on the wing would be very interesting to see, though.
Mourinho favours a 4231. Whether he plays that at United or not, I don't know, but that's what he's used most of the time.

When Mourinho said he doesn't see him as a midfielder, he is not including the number 10, support striker role, as he clearly said:

"For me, he will be a No 9 or a No 10, or a number nine-and-a-half, but with me he will never be a No 6, not even a No 8".

Walters_19_MuFc

He might as long as he stays where he should. One of his big faults is coming too deep, which Jose is saying he doesn't want him to do, to get involved. For him to be successful he will have to show discipline and stay up front to get on the end of these chances or to create around the box. It will be no good if Wayne goes walkabout and is still hovering round the defensive positions when we are charging upfield.
That's fine. If he is given service, he'll find no reason to drop deep.

Art Vandelay

The experts play a part but it's not just them. It's also everyone on this forum. The experts are a bit slow to react to bigger names not playing as well anymore. When did they start saying Gerrard was playing poorly? Rooney is a big name and it is kind of expected that the experts wont be critisizing him even if he is playing terrible.

But that said, they wont be dishing out MOTM to someone that played shit right? There's difference between not calling out someone who has played terrible (which experts have not done with Rooney despite his 2015 year) and praising someone.
You really take those "experts" handing out MOTM seriously? Even if they claim their mate played well it still doesn't mean he's met the standards of other people.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Mourinho favours a 4231. Whether he plays that at United or not, I don't know, but that's what he's used most of the time.

When Mourinho said he doesn't see him as a midfielder, he is not including the number 10, support striker role, as he clearly said:

"For me, he will be a No 9 or a No 10, or a number nine-and-a-half, but with me he will never be a No 6, not even a No 8".
I thought the reason he was dropped deeper in the last few years, because he wasn't that good as 9 or 10. Maybe this summer Rooney has changed, so you just never know.