Wayne Rooney, The Midfield General? Mourinho Says No.

What should we do with Rooney ?

• Keep him as a starting XI player

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Sell him

Votes: 221 64.8%
  • Keep him as a squad player

Votes: 97 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devil may care

His best stuff has come sitting deeper and trying to pick passes, I don't think trying to run at teams like Iniesta is a good idea, he just doesn't have that close control most of time to make it work, switching to the diamond didn't help either. I'm not a Rooney defender, in fact the opposite, but I don't think the use of him tonight was the best way to get the best out of what he has left.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
His best stuff has come sitting deeper and trying to pick passes, I don't think trying to run at teams like Iniesta is a good idea, he just doesn't have that close control most of time to make it work, switching to the diamond didn't help either. I'm not a Rooney defender, in fact the opposite, but I don't think the use of him tonight was the best way to get the best out of what he has left.
But the best that we can get out of him is average as well, he's just quite a nothing player these days. It'd be stupid to make things suitable for him, just to get some cross passes to Valencia and sideways passes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He came on as a sub against a team with 11 behind the ball. Anybody slagging off Rooney on tonight's game has their own agenda. Get real.
But you're happy to praise him profusely when he's given all the time in the world deep in midifeld and only offering up one successful pass into the opposition box? The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Cathy Ferguson

He was talking about signing a new contract just a few day's ago. If he accepts a 33% pay cut per year maybe we should consider it. He's 30 but in terms of milage on the clock he's got the body of a player around 33-34.
Yup, he started to play in the PL at age 16/17. So did Giggs but Giggs and Rooney are different body types. We can't build our midfield around Rooney.

AR87

Didn't really know what anybody's position was after the subs were made. Rooney wasn't all that good, but England as a whole weren't and everybody off the ball seemed especially static once Lallana went off.

Should have brought in Rashford in place of Henderson and left Sturridge on rather than putting Kane on.

Devil may care

But the best that we can get out of him is average as well, he's just quite a nothing player these days. It'd be stupid to make things suitable for him, just to get some cross passes to Valencia and sideways passes.
Don't get me wrong, I'd bin him in a heartbeat if it was possible, but since we are stuck with him I was just trying to look at where he's given his better performances for us over the last season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Changed my mind again, he's shite bin him to China.

Bojan11

His shooting is abysmal. There was a moment where had a great chance to cross whilst he was in front of the fullback and he just aims at the fullback. Passing is inconsistent.

Bojan11

Yup, he started to play in the PL at age 16/17. So did Giggs but Giggs and Rooney are different body types. We can't build our midfield around Rooney.
Giggs had the advantage that he was miles faster than everyone. When Giggs slowed down he was on par with the average footballer. Messi will be doing the same in a few years when he slows down because passing wise he would make a great CM.

Sammyjunn

Don't get me wrong, I'd bin him in a heartbeat if it was possible, but since we are stuck with him I was just trying to look at where he's given his better performances for us over the last season.
That's fair enough, it's just so frustrating that we have to guarantee a place to such an average player, in the centre of the field as well. I hope we can turn him into a right back or something.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Giggs had the advantage that he was miles faster than everyone. When Giggs slowed down he was on par with the average footballer. Messi will be doing the same in a few years when he slows down because passing wise he would make a great CM.
Giggsy got very into his Yoga and spent a lot of time working on his flexibility with ladies of questionable virtue which helped prolong his career. Wayne looks like he's going to do a Ricky Hatton any day, he's always been big boned but even a minor slow down in his metabolism when injured etc could see him come back a whale.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't great when he come on. Always hard to come and get into the rhythm of the game. Also think the formation (diamond) at the end was very narrow, and we know Rooney likes width around him.

Having said that, I feel he's had a pretty good tournament so far. Long may it continue.

Devil may care

That's fair enough, it's just so frustrating that we have to guarantee a place to such an average player, in the centre of the field as well. I hope we can turn him into a right back or something.
I agree that it's frustrating, the team can't be made as good as it possibly can be until we stop shoehorning Rooney in as an ever present starter.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Wasn't great when he come on. Always hard to come and get into the rhythm of the game. Also think the formation (diamond) at the end was very narrow, and we know Rooney likes width around him.

Having said that, I feel he's had a pretty good tournament so far. Long may it continue.
this

Zoo

He played on the left of a diamond. It's obvious he is best suited to the deeper role now, I don't know what Roy was playing at particularly with Wilshere looking so off the pace.

stepic

Just ran into players and lost possession. No nuance, just hoped he could barge his way through. Poor.

dichinero

Already have a shoehorned player for that !

superdry

touched by a genius
I'm wishing my life away wanting him to hang up his friggin boots. United and England need to see past him!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm wishing my life away wanting him to hang up his friggin boots. United and England need to see past him!
England's options seeing past him are Noble and Drinkwater, Rooney is very safe.

ti vu

Giggsy got very into his Yoga and spent a lot of time working on his flexibility with ladies of questionable virtue which helped prolong his career. Wayne looks like he's going to do a Ricky Hatton any day, he's always been big boned but even a minor slow down in his metabolism when injured etc could see him come back a whale.
On top of that, Giggs benefited from being from a lesser media whoring era than Rooney. When the media went full lusty, Giggs is no longer the main face.

Rooney has been England Golden Boy, to England Savior Hope (around 2008 to 2012), then England Scapegoat during WC2014, now England Captain. Rooney has always been one of the most prominent name for United. Since the team went through transition with other popular went, Rooney became the most prominent player (not performance wise). He couldn't be afforded the peaceful time from media to rediscover himself.

Vilev

Well, England was without Rooney for more than a half a game, no joy. England without Rooney was not any better, in fact it was worse.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Honest question. Purely as a central midfielder, who do we consider on a comparable level to Rooney?

Anywhere in world football.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Reminded me a bit of Gerrard - different methods but the same thing of trying too hard to do things himself.

soapythecat

He's so fecking average it hurts. He knows he has no great option other than see his United contract out, hence why he's saying he'll see his career out here.
Depresses me how big a contract the prick has.

rpitchfo

Watching him trying to run with the ball like a drunk uncle at a bbq was proper cringe. Keep pinging it to the right Wayne.

saivet

Poor but should really start for England. Henderson and Wilshere didn't play well, and they're the only two other option really.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Watching him trying to run with the ball like a drunk uncle at a bbq was proper cringe. Keep pinging it to the right Wayne.
I hate those clipped attention seeking cross field passes. They're so slow and lofted that the opposition defence has loads of time to get in position and anticipate the winger bringing the ball down. It always annoys me when some commentator says "Wonderful technique" when there's no end product from his pass.

LR7

I've been really critical of Rooney but I like him starting games in midfield. He doesn't need resting, and would have had a different game, had he started today.
I'm not a fan of his in forward positions anymore though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well, England was without Rooney for more than a half a game, no joy. England without Rooney was not any better, in fact it was worse.
Oh come on. Wilshere offered much more than Rooney did. Sure, not everything he tried came off, but he's used to playing with a team full of ideas and movement. He was passing between lines, moving into space. He looked miles better than Rooney. And rightly so, he's an actual midfielder.

I think if you get Wilshere and Alli in the same team, with Walker providing width, Vardy running in behind and Sturridge around the box, we would create a whole lot more. Bertrand and Rose are a wash for me, but they're both pretty good offensively too.

AndyJ1985

Honest question. Purely as a central midfielder, who do we consider on a comparable level to Rooney?

Anywhere in world football.
He reminds me of Steven Gerrard during his last season at Liverpool. Lots of "Hollywood" passes that impress the simple minded and die-hard fans alike.

Sylar

Him running into people was the worst thing. I would understand if his run against Palace was something that happened once a game (ala Yaya Toure) but clearly not the case. Him attempting it more than once and having the same outcome went from me laughing to me being so frustrated.

Thing with Rooney is hes a momentum player. I used to think he would suit United coming on with a ten minute cameo but that might be the worst idea.

Sammyjunn

Obviously, Rooneys experience and game management alone are two things going for him over Cleverley.
I think experience has gone from one of the most underrated qualities to one of the most overrated qualities. He cant do anything useful with the ball, and he's a midfielder. It's not as if he has a lot of positional sense or tactical nouse either, you could say that for Schweinsteiger, who has experience playing in that position, Rooney barely has.