We’ve beaten them all...

Smores

If we ended up with less than 10pts behind city at the end of the season I'd say we're challenging. 10 pts isnt a very far gap and with our lost against city at home which is technically a 6pts swing.

Id say the difference between us and city is the few games where they rode their luck with last minute winners. Not taking anything away from them though, at the end of the days a win is a win.

We're actually pretty good this season, what a shame we coincided with the best epl team ever.
Yeah 10pts has always been my measure. At that stage you say it could have gone either way with different luck.

I love seeing the moaners squirm at positivity :devil: Like Souness couldn't stand Henry praising Pogba yesterday there's loads who can't stand anything that reflects well on Jose.

borrays

About time we thread-banned people who've dragged any thread out of topic. Just like on newbie matchday thread yesterday whilst most were having discussion about the game then suddenly a poster came up with insane rambling about how Jose ruined everyone and everything on this club (while clearly we are getting better atm) I'm sick of it.
Back on topic it nice to see a win at Emptyhad hopefully it puts confidence and self belief back to the players.

Last edited by a moderator:

padzilla

Hipster
Is there an actual link to a news story about this. I have a scouse supporting friend who does not believe that we have done this.

Oneunited26

Yeah 10pts has always been my measure. At that stage you say it could have gone either way with different luck.

I love seeing the moaners squirm at positivity :devil: Like Souness couldn't stand Henry praising Pogba yesterday there's loads who can't stand anything that reflects well on Jose.
I have moaned loads about the team, Jose’s weird team sellections, our style of play not seeing the team play without fear, passion, what we saw in the Manchester derby is passion, character and bottle. Souness just can’t hell himself, this is what will create the siege mentality. Our record against the top 4 now we have beaten city starts to put things into perspective, that there is hope, he can get the best out of these players and we must see more. I’m still gutted we never got to see matic, pogba and Herrera in a midfield three more, which is what we hoped to have seen.

GazTheLegend

Did you read my post? No I won’t go away, I’ll read the the thread and continue to cringe and what people like you perceive to be an achievement.
It is an achievement.

We’re now on course for 80 points if we get 3 more wins.

If we win all our games we end up on 89 points.

That’s potentially an absolutely stupendous haul from what people think of as a “bad” season and it deserves some recognition.

GM K

Because it seems an odd thing to celebrate. I’m not intentially being negative and trying to cause a stir, it just seems a funny thing to pat ourselves on the back about.

I actually think you are being negative to be honest.

I had to go back to read the earlier posts and I didn't notice anyone 'celebrating' it. But what if people do celebrate it? It's a remarkable thing as the records show and recognizing it does not mean embracing mediocrity or being happy for not winning the big silverwares.

United is the great club it is today because fans learnt to celebrate the small achievements while dreaming big and wanting more. We celebrate goals; we celebrate a superb goalkeeper save; we celebrate good quality football, we celebrate beating fierce rivals and then, we celebrate winning trophies. That's how people succeed in the long term in every field. Winning starts from scoring a goal and then winning a game and then the next game. Why do we cheer each goal? Because it is an achievement - a step towards winning the game. Why don't football fans all over the world stop cheering a goal afterall, winning the game is the only real achievement considering the context of a game. Or if a club wins one game, why celebrate if winning the trophy is the only real achievement considering a tournament context. My point is 'achievements' are way more than winning trophies and it is the so called little or irrelevant achievements that stack up to give us the bigger wins. So relax mate. Enjoy it. But if you don't, at least leave those who find it worth celebrating and know that to them, it does not mean they are not as desirous for silverware as you are.

Rory 7

So basically United become 4th team to beat all 19 Premier League teams in a single season, after Chelsea in 2005/06, United in 2010/11 and City in 2017/18.
That’s a very interesting stat. I would have thought it’s much more common than that.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Joking aside, I genuinely cannot see a link to a story anywhere. Maybe my browser is blocking it. Would anyone be kind enough to PM me it or copy it again here?
There's no story. The OP says it all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's a very good stat.

Our ability to convert draws into wins and also record against big 6 has improved a lot. Hopefully we build on his.

Deleted member 101472

I truly wish some of our Internet "fans" would go and support someone else, sickening this season.
If all out internet fans go and support city, they might be able to fill their stadium so be careful what you wish for.

SpyLuke10

We are 3 wins (9 points) away from having more points than we did in the season that we won the treble (79 points). Furthermore, we now have more points than any United side has had since Sir Alex left, and with 6 games still to go.

1995–96 Prem: 82 points, 1st.
1996–97
Prem: 75 points, 1st.
1997–98
Prem: 77 points, 2nd.
1998–99 Prem: 79 points, 1st.
1999–00
Prem: 91 points, 1st.
2000–01
Prem: 80 points, 1st.
2001–02
Prem: 77 points, 3rd.
2002–03 Prem: 83 points, 1st.
2003–04
Prem: 75 points, 3rd.
2004–05 Prem: 77 points, 3rd.
2005–06 Prem: 83 points, 2nd.
2006–07 Prem: 89 points, 1st.
2007–08
Prem: 87 points, 1st.
2008–09
Prem: 90 points, 1st.
2009–10
Prem: 85 points, 2nd.
2010–11 Prem: 80 points, 1st.
2011–12
Prem: 89 points, 2nd.
2012–13 Prem: 89 points, 1st.
2013–14
Prem: 64 points, 7th.
2014–15 Prem: 70 points, 4th.
2015–16 Prem: 66 points, 5th.
2016–17 Prem: 69 points, 6th.

^Note: Got the above information from Wikipedia. This is every points tally for United for 38 game seasons.

Suppose we end up on 84 points, which as someone suggested is what we are on target to hit (according to our average points per game so far this season). We would have more points than in 6 of our last 11 premier league title winning seasons. More points than 15 of the last 22 premier league seasons for United.

Now my point is, obviously beating every other team in the league at least once in a premier season is not quite the same as actually winning the league. Nobody is going to be parading the streets saying, "yeah, we're only the 4th team to be every other team in the league in a single season!" However, obviously it is notable that doing this is quite a rarity, and doing so suggests proper improvement over recent seasons.

Yes we aren't winning the league this season, but we have made significant progress towards doing so. In my opinion its important to recognise progress and improvement and acknowledge that "in the grand scheme of things", things are going in the right direction.

Beating everyone in the league is totally different from Arsenal fans celebrating getting top four, us beating everyone in the league is a sign of significant progress made under Jose, whilst in recent years, Arsenal making top four was just the status quo and not progress, of course it is ridiculous to celebrate achieving the status quo (unless this is actually winning the league).

Ironically I think going out to Sevilla was the wake up call we needed (particularly Jose), not just for this season under Jose but for future seasons with him in charge. He is beginning to adapt! :)

Reactions: Invictus

cyberman

Win all 6 and that points total will have only been bettered twice by Sir Alex unless theres an early epic points haul thats missing?

CallMeV

One could argue that @MAME DIOUF 32 & @M Bison were just echoing sentiments uttered lately by the manager himself.

If Jose was to post his honest opinion in this thread it might read something like:
"These stats mean nothing more than 19 victories, 57 points - not enough to win the title, not enough to get top four, not enough. We have to make a big improvement for next season if we want to challenge City, and that is our goal."

Threadbanning dissident opinions because they "spoil the mood" is something I would expect to see at certain other forums, not the Caf.

With that being said, there's no need to be overly critical on the eve of a derby win either, especially after a derby win like that which rolled back the years to former days of glory.

"Don't congratulate yourself too much, but don't berate yourself either."

Fridge chutney

One could argue that @MAME DIOUF 32 & @M Bison were just echoing sentiments uttered lately by the manager himself.

If Jose was to post his honest opinion in this thread it might read something like:
"These stats mean nothing more than 19 victories, 57 points - not enough to win the title, not enough to get top four, not enough. We have to make a big improvement for next season if we want to challenge City, and that is our goal."

Threadbanning dissident opinions because they "spoil the mood" is something I would expect to see at certain other forums, not the Caf.

With that being said, there's no need to be overly critical on the eve of a derby win either, especially after a derby win like that which rolled back the years to former days of glory.

Yes but there is a stark difference between your nicely-framed post and the negative hyperbole of the posters in question. That's the point.

Green_Red

I think we've had a good season overall, its not all doom and gloom thats for sure. Theres good foundations for next year. I think our lads will only get better as a group too.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Win all 6 and that points total will have only been bettered twice by Sir Alex unless theres an early epic points haul thats missing?
Got more (92) in 93/94 but it was a 42 game season.

We're about back to where we were when Fergie left, I think, except the opposition is now better.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think that today's result will give the team confidence for the FA cup game against Tottenham. I heard a few commentators writing us off for that game but it is clear, that when we are 'on it' we can beat anyone.
They wrote us off against LFC. They wrote us off against CFC. They wrote us off against MCFC.
And I'm talking about the people who post on this forum.

Fans need to get behind the manager, players and the club, rather than constantly berating them at every opportunity.
These people are supporters...of rivals teams/managers and I would love to see these people cry themselves to sleep when we win the league and CL, in the next few years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Got more (92) in 93/94 but it was a 42 game season.

We're about back to where we were when Fergie left, I think, except the opposition is now better.
Specifically, only 1 team is better. They have had a ridiculously good season, the likes of which I doubt they will repeat ever again.
And as you stated, we are back to where we were when SAF was here - lending credibility to the belief that Jose should've been the guy who took over SAF directly. Moyes in particular, set us back 4 years! I cannot stress how much I dislike Moyes. He really makes my blood boil.

OverratedOpinion

I remember certain fans saying that Jose's tactics don't work against the top teams anymore. Now that's predictably been proven as nonsense I am struggling to see their argument. It seems to boil down to the fact that we didn't win the Champions League and we aren't going to win the league, which would have required us getting possibly the highest points total in our clubs history.

All credit to Man City, they have had an incredible season in the league.

cyberman

Threadbanning d because they "spoil the mood" is something I would expect to see at certain other forums,
Why would you make up quotes to add authority to your own opinion?
"Thats ridiculous, mate" - Apollo Creed

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was just thinking this too. Not only that but our record vs the top 6 this season is surprisingly decent even by Ferguson standards this season.

If you’d told me we’d get 4 points out of playing Liverpool City and Chelsea I would have snapped your hand off, but we deservedly bested all 3.
We only got 3 out of City though, having lost at home. But I get ya.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol: Making up quotes to support arguments.

Maybe if Jose was to post something on CAF, he would say "stop moaning you miserable cnuts".

There is nothing wrong in praising the team when they do something good.

nemean

Honestly for me this shows that on our day we can beat anyone which is something other posters would have us believe is not possible. So I think this is a good stat to see and as others suggest shows improvement.

For me one thing that stands out is how negative people are about us as we are ‘terrible’ now if this season is a terrible Manchester United I for one am excited to see where Jose takes us next season as I can see year on year improvement. Can anybody honestly say we have not improved?

To sum up not a stat that alone shows much but coupled with the other data available to us shows that we can (and in my opinion will) be a force to be reckoned with soon enough.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Reading the first two pages, I didn't think Death-Eaters were capable of signing up to Redcafe but there you go.

Despite what those two miserable gits think, this is clearly an achievement and points to the club at least going in the right direction. What's needed now is a little more consistency and a little less fear. We have players who are capable of outrunning and out thinking the majority of the leagues defences so let's let them off the leash. Next season may well see some excitement return.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Reading the first two pages, I didn't think Death-Eaters were capable of signing up to Redcafe but there you go.

Despite what those two miserable gits think, this is clearly an achievement and points to the club at least going in the right direction. What's needed now is a little more consistency and a little less fear. We have players who are capable of outrunning and out thinking the majority of the leagues defences so let's let them off the leash. Next season may well see some excitement return.
Fecking brilliant mate! I spit out my drink when I read that!

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Fecking brilliant mate! I spit out my drink when I read that!
Well I do get one every now and then. :D

Though if anyone points out any contradictions in my statement and any Harry Potter related lore, I will stab someone.

NotQuiteManc

How can anyone be so negative?

Remember we had Moyes just 4 or 5 years ago. We came a long way from that already. Progress doesn't come easy, unless you are bought with oil money. ;)

OldSchoolManc

Has anyone else realised, that because we have beaten every team already this season, we have already beaten all our remaining opponents?
89 points is pretty do-able in my mind.

Gog

Whatever anyone thinks about whether these particular stats should be lauded or not, one thing is for sure, they are a further sign we are going in the right direction, and how anyone could attempt to suggest otherwise is beyond me..

Stu1975

Proves we’re going in the right direction.

It wasn’t that long ago all sorts of mediocre teams were beating us,even at home.

Winning matches is what it’s all about so let’s wrap up second spot,get the FA Cup and look forward to next season.

redflair

I think Jose is banging on about second so much because any points target in the high 80s would represent a good, solid season - and some would say excellent.

But for that to happen a sharp focus and concentraton is needed by every player right until the last kick.

I think April 21 - and Spurs - might have a bearing on that.