We’ve beaten them all...

MAME DIOUF 32

Id be inclined to agree with you if we were 7th
So the fact that we're in a higher position than we finished in under Moyes means he's got the best out of Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof?

But we've digressed into why I feel like we haven't actually progressed as far as many others think we have. That's not the point of the thread and in hindsight I probably shouldn't have chosen this thread to vent on not rating Mourinho. I do stand by my point on what I regard as worthless records though. Winning today is brilliant but failing to compete for the big trophies is a bigger deal imo.

big rons sovereign

We haven't though. We've pinched his balloons, knowing that we're going to have to have to give them back next week. We've taken the shine off the party but we haven't stopped it happening.
And they'll never forget it. We ruined their big day, they may never have this opportunity again. They've not won the title against us, it won't be the earliest league win, at half time after all the ole's and sky's ass kissing, they thought they had it, but we mugged em off. Even got a dodgy pen decision.

Titles and trophies come and go, but these are the days we remember, who remembers turning liverpool over on new years day in 89? It did nowt for us but what a day that was. This why we love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rossa

Again, you need to look at it in context.

We’ve beaten every team in the league, that in isolation is a nice badge to have but what does it actually mean in the grand scheme of things?
In the grand scheme of things? What does football matter, in the grand scheme of things?

It matters because it indicates that we have the quality to beat every team in the league. Thus we lack consistency, not quality.

Rossa

We should create one big mega thread called Title or nothing where we will write everything cause anything but the title is not worth discussing.
Why not, all or nothing? I mean, if we win the league ten times in a row but no CL, then what’s the point, right?

Acole9

Outstanding
We have and it's very pleasing to see. Just frustrating losing to teams like Huddersfield and Newcastle but you can't win them all.

Ban

Agreed! The All or Nothing thread it is. Not much to discuss though, but what does that matter, in the great scheme of things?
We'll discuss how we need to win the title next season, all about that, we're cover that theme left right and center.
Should be a blast.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honestly when you read people’s thoughts on our progress under Mourinho and where we are it just seems like their attitude is “I don’t care if he’s taken us from 5th to 2nd and won two trophies already, he’s not won us the league so sack him off”

Muffled funk

Not to be trusted
In the grand scheme of things? What does football matter, in the grand scheme of things?
I think this just comes down to my inability to understand why people give more of a feck about beating every other team in the league than they do about... the grand scheme of things. All the other grand scheme of things I would moan about. Global poverty, Western bigotry, climate change etc... they are increasingly ruining this fecking forum and half the people I agree with about all of these things talk more about stat achievements than they do about any of that. As if it matters more that we have open and honest discourse as we kill ourselves than battling the mindsets that are causing it.

the hea

We have a points per game average of 2,20 in the league so far, if we keep that up we will finish on 84 points when the league is finished. That is pretty good if you ask me, especially if you compare it to the past seasons since Fergie left when we ended up on 64pts, 70pts, 66pts, and 69pts. What ever people may think we have improved massively in the league this season.

Jonno

So the fact that we're in a higher position than we finished in under Moyes means he's got the best out of Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof?

But we've digressed into why I feel like we haven't actually progressed as far as many others think we have. That's not the point of the thread and in hindsight I probably shouldn't have chosen this thread to vent on not rating Mourinho. I do stand by my point on what I regard as worthless records though. Winning today is brilliant but failing to compete for the big trophies is a bigger deal imo.
Not just a higher position than Moyes, a higher position we’ve finished under Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho himself, the highest position since 2013. It’s blatantly a big improvement. Just the fact we’re going to be in the CL for back to back seasons, is a big improvement. Hitting 80+ points in the PL, a big Improvement.

But regardless, if I ignore the league table, the trophies he’s already won in under 2 seasons and purely look at the improvements of the squad, I say it’s dramatically improved since he’s arrived. Schneiderlin and Schewinsteiger v Matic and Pogba for example, past his peak Rooney v Lukaku, Sanchez v Depay ....no comparison in the enhancements he’s made. You’re not giving him credit for having the reputation and the skills to attract these players.

He didn’t get the best out of Mhiki, neither is Wenger. Meanwhile, Mourinho getting the best out of DDG, Young, Bailey, Matic, Lingard, McTomminay, Lukaku amongst others.

He’s also getting the best out of this squad, again I back this up with 80+ points and a 2nd place finish only to a record breaking City side who will break the points record

I don’t understand how you don’t recognise the big improvements.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
@M Bison is pissing me off more with his genuinely depressing manner and over analytical viewpoint on something that shouldn’t even be brought up in a positive thread like this. I think it’s class we’ve beat all 19 teams, and although we can all agree we’re not the best team in the league nor have we really succeeded overall this season - but we’re making brilliant progress.

A stat like is something a United team should be achieving. And we have done. It’s great.

Just look at it that way for once you miserable bastards.

Fridge chutney

Some people are genuinely sad that they didn't have a chance to moan today (could also be reeling from a tough week for idol St. Pep) so they come into this thread and whinge. Bravo.

When only 4 teams in the last 20 years have "achieved" this, this at the very least shows progress and we should be happy momentarily.

Fridge chutney

I guess the gloryhunter motto is 'title or failure'. So I shoudn't be surprised at the state of this thread.

Enigma_87

You know who
Jesus fecking Christ. The last "achievement" we celebrated was 82 crosses over 90 minutes of football game, I'll take this one over it no question. Get a fecking grip, always something to moan about...

Irrational.

Look, generally it's been a pretty shit season. We needed something to be proud of, something that is a bit of a ray of hope for next season. That stat is one of them. It shows that there is no reason why we can't go one better and win the league next time.

Yet you have the regular Buzz Killingtons on this site wanting us to wallow in pity and worship that cesspit of a club. Even that after beating said club.

They're the kinds of people you don't want working in environments where you need positivity. Imagine them doing some voluntary work at a hospice.
"Want to play Monopoly?"
'''Ha feck off what's the point you're still dying!" :rolleyes:

It's one step at a time. We won two trophies last season, we're in contention for the FA Cup this season, we're going to finish in a better league position than last season. And even after all that you need some negativity, leave it for a few days rather than literally just after we've beaten the top team in the league that you're wanking over FFS.

Denis79

Think there's a good chance City lose against Spurs next game and if we win it's only 10 points off. I'm not saying we'll win the league but all this BS about City being the best team ever to play in the PL will end up being nothing but what it actually is. BS! So according to pundits and some fans, we're shit and City godly. How come we're only 10 points off if all goes our way next round? Which I think it will. Didn't mighty Leicester win the league by 10 points?

Dominant

Wow what a time to be negative. I am going to have to put those 2 clowns on ignore.

SER19

Er... no?

This "record" is much like those talked about for goals or points in calendar years. It's utterly meaningless unless it helps you actually win something.

We're not Wenger's Arsenal. There's nothing to celebrate here.
I despise this righteous attitude. Seen it in endless threads all season.

Nobody is “celebrating” a thing. Do you think this forum, as a measure of united fans attitudes is celebratory for the last few years?

Teams at the bottom of the table will discuss certain stats or milestones and that is all that is happening. Nothing more. You decided to hijack a thread with needless negativity in regards a bigger picture that is not being discussed. Somebody called it correctly early - bore off.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
So celebrate that. I'm happy United won today and denied City something that would've been truly excruciating for all of us. I'm not happy that we've beaten everyone in the league and still come absolutely nowhere near winning it.
Except we are the closest team, City aside, to winning it. City haven't won it yet because we still have the mathematical possibility, however remote, to win it.

Even if we don't, were still the nearest we've come to winning it since SAF.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's a great achievement which shows that we have a pretty talented side capable of beating all kinds of teams and tactics. Even in games we struggled we showed when we clicked we blew them away to secure the win. That surely is a positive and players can take great confidence from that. Results wise it's been a very solid league campaign and it can only get better next year.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If we ended up with less than 10pts behind city at the end of the season I'd say we're challenging. 10 pts isnt a very far gap and with our lost against city at home which is technically a 6pts swing.

Id say the difference between us and city is the few games where they rode their luck with last minute winners. Not taking anything away from them though, at the end of the days a win is a win.

We're actually pretty good this season, what a shame we coincided with the best epl team ever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If we win our remaining 6 games we'll finish on the same number of points we won the league with in 12/13, yet cretins in here are moaning about how shit we are.

Phil

I truly wish some of our Internet "fans" would go and support someone else, sickening this season.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think it's a good acheivement considering it's only the 4th time this has happened in 26 years of the Premier League era. However, I can understand it's seen as a bit of a damp squib since we'll be the first side to do this without lifting the title come the end of the season.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Might be wrong, but I think Spurs would do it too if they beat City next week.

Too many rubbish teams once you get outside of the top six.

Not taking anything away from today though...especially not as one of the main Jose beating sticks this season has been his "poor" record against the other top six. It''s actually a pretty impressive record at this point.
Just a clarification: Spurs will do it too if they beat WBA, Leicester, Watford and City, all of them at home. Doable but no small feat when you consider that they're also unbeaten in the league since the 16th of December. And it's not even their best season in the PL in terms of points won. But it still shows that they've become a formidable force in English football.

Similarly, in the grand scheme of things, it's not much of an achievement. But after all we've been through, that dreadful December while City never slipped, all the talk about the quality of our football (which hasn't been good most of the time), the injuries, the Pogba conundrum, the constant tinkering with tactics/formations and with players in different roles, the frustration regarding some tepid performances and the way we crushed out of Europe... after all these things, it's good to know that we can beat all clubs in the Premier League. It's impressive in the sense that had we been asked randomly which team has beaten all the other teams in the league, United would not have been most people's first choice. It gives me a glimmer of hope that we may not be as far from the top as we think. Of course, the football has to become much better but such records show that the team slowly but steadily builds a character once again.

It's also kind of funny because IMO the 2010-11 United side that got that record for us in the first place, alongside with the 2012-13 one, was probably Fergie's most lacklustre version of United. But it still was a team with a backbone. They didn't play with the swagger of previous Ferguson sides and they didn't have the quality of those sides either but they were always ready and willing to pick up the gauntlet City's new owners had thrown at them.

Let's hope we will see more of that, starting next season.