We are an awfully coached team

honirelandboy

I honestly think 4-4-1-1 is the solution to our problems.

Bruno still free role, Rondo up front, two wingers playing deep helping out the defense and a clever pass from deep to unleash them.

This 4-2-3-1 with Scott and Fred getting overloaded not working .

Wouldn't it be great if the two wingers were playing deep helping out the defense and the quality of Bruno, vdb, Shaw, Pogba picking them out.

SeanyC

Well when we have McKenna as an assistant or was always going to be this way? What in gods name is phelan doing…nothing was the answer…Rene was always a better coach

Pronewbie

Peep
Was watching the highlights back and saw this for the disallowed goal.

What the hell are we doing there?
Same thing we did for the goal we conceeded. Schoolboy defending. This isn't the first time this season we've been sucked into these situations. The defensive setup just doesn't seem to be well-drilled. I gave it a pass initially but we're in October now. To do it twice in a game is criminal.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Mata is on 160k/wk to do exactly what?

Heung-Min Son just renewed his contract for 140k/w.
That just makes Sons agent look like a bitch, to be honest. Matas agent should be having his door kicked down by every player in the league trying to get him/her to rep them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I didn't really had the feeling that Everton was actually a low block in the first half. Of course they didn't attack us gung-ho or went with an ultra high line but they were playing with an organized defense without being particularly deep. That changed in the second half when we brought on Ronaldo.
I thought, we did alright before that change, Cavani could have been been more clinical but overall it was one of the better attacking displays in a while. Especially AWB and Fred had a decent game. But this stopped once Cavani was gone and it came to a fullstop when Fred left the pitch for Pogba. I think, you theory with the non-technical players doesn't really cover all aspects of what we see. Also, if we have some technically limited players, why aren't we adjusting our plan so these weaknesses are mitigated a bit?

We don't have to debate that the players you named aren't on the same level technically as the others. But that still doesn't explain why we lost any sort of structure in the second half. We produced nothing and if it wouldn't have been for Davies stupidity, we could have lost the game. And it would have been deserved. Reducing the game to the one individual error of Fred covers only a fraction of the performance that led to todays result. The players are the most obvious ones to take the blame but at some point, the manager needs to find a way to stop these "individual errors", wouldn't you agree? His subs sealed the game today in my eyes, I know thats debatable and I am happy to do so but I am sure we would have scored eventually if we wouldn't have completely surrendered midfield.
How can a team produce something as per your expectation if the team have some these players who can't pass the ball in the first place? Non-technical players don't have the ability to play quick passing in effective way, and when they are forced to do it, they often give the ball away. By giving the ball away then the team can't produce but it's only playing in Everton's hand. Whether we want to call it low-block or no, it is the same point I made that Ole played too many non-technical players on the pitch to play quick passing against team who set to have less possession and use counter attack which Everton today with their 28% possession. Therefore, the pattern of play we set up today (which I explained in my first post) couldn't be executed. On the other hand, players who are more technical to play the pattern of play we set up today are on the bench.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

I previously disagreed with this thread but it’s gone past that.

Happy to admit I was wrong, does anyone still disagree with this statement? Beyond debate now in my view, may as well close the thread and tick it off @bond19821982 called it well.
I suppose it's the hyperbolic title that caused so much consternation about this thread. The premise was always pretty solid, but it could have been phrased something like "Could our coaching be better" etc. At least that would likely have drawn more rational debate. It's pretty clear, when both sides stop with the hyperbole, it's so much easier to have a good debate.

And yes, it's not really my forte to talk about coaching/tactics etc. but it's obvious to anyone that we are behind top sides, on both counts.

NZT-One

How can a team produce something if the team have some these players who can't pass the ball in the first place? Non-technical players don't have the ability to play quick passing in effective way, and when they are forced to do it, they often give the ball away. By giving the ball away then it's playing in Everton's hand. Whether we want to call it low-block or no, it is the same point I made that we have too many non-technical players on the pitch to play quick passing against team who set to have less possession and use counter attack which Everton today with their 28% possession. Therefore, the pattern of play we set up today fails because of the non-technical players don't have the ability to play quick passing in effective way and when they are forced to do it, they end up giving the ball away.
1. bolded part: I'd have a look at other teams and how they set up to play. I mean, there are quite a lot of teams with players of lesser quality on the ball and I've heard some of them are able to play quite decent.

I've no intention of ridiculing your argument, but it in my eyes it fails completely. You seem dead on locked about the quality of a few players that prevents the rest of the team to play decent football. All while knowing that there are teams out there who manage to do play decent football with not even half of the talent of our team. Plus while knowing that as soon as we shuffle a few players around, the football gets even worse...

2. bolded part: Excuse me, but I still don't get it: so you think, we deployed a certain "pattern of play" today? Pattern of play in a sense like a reoccuring theme that happens repeatedly? And you think, we deployed it today (today the first time?) but it didn't work just because of the lack of technical players?

My first reaction would be:
a) why deploying such a thing in the first place when the players aren't right?
b) why not using players on the bench who might be better suited for that plan?
c) how is that a good description of the game today where we looked decent for an hour or so but looked terribly as soon as Ronaldo entered the pitch and finally Pogba? Did we just stop using the "pattern" you describe?

But Ignore my reaction - good chance that I misunderstood you

r0663664

Worships Man City
We have been playing badly in the last 5-6 despite winning some games. Ole and his mates thinks that magically someone will pull a rabbits out of the hat. Is he so blind to his tactics is not working? Is he hoping that Mcfred will become World class? I suggest that he drop Mcfred and play VDB and Matic. Give VDB freedom to push forward and ghost into space. I just hope Matic have enough legs to protect the back. I am sure there will be more clear cut chances that falls our way. Time to wake up Ole!!! Stop dreaming in the theater of dream.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Only showing this because I didn't realise David Brent was a fan!

He brushes his hair with his hand and I hear 'I can make that dream come true to, aka, for you'

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1. bolded part: I'd have a look at other teams and how they set up to play. I mean, there are quite a lot of teams with players of lesser quality on the ball and I've heard some of them are able to play quite decent.

I've no intention of ridiculing your argument, but it in my eyes it fails completely. You seem dead on locked about the quality of a few players that prevents the rest of the team to play decent football. All while knowing that there are teams out there who manage to do play decent football with not even half of the talent of our team. Plus while knowing that as soon as we shuffle a few players around, the football gets even worse...

2. bolded part: Excuse me, but I still don't get it: so you think, we deployed a certain "pattern of play" today? Pattern of play in a sense like a reoccuring theme that happens repeatedly? And you think, we deployed it today (today the first time?) but it didn't work just because of the lack of technical players?

My first reaction would be:
a) why deploying such a thing in the first place when the players aren't right?
b) why not using players on the bench who might be better suited for that plan?
c) how is that a good description of the game today where we looked decent for an hour or so but looked terribly as soon as Ronaldo entered the pitch and finally Pogba? Did we just stop using the "pattern" you describe?

But Ignore my reaction - good chance that I misunderstood you
1) You have to look at other teams also don't show consistency with those players of lesser quality just like us are also playing good in some games but there is no consistency to keep it up.

2) Go back to my first post, read first then you can come back talk about it.

a & b) I gave my answers already and I told you already to read in my whole first post that Ole was wrong to play non-technical players to force them playing in the pattern of play he set up while benching players who could suit more.

c) You answered your own question: This below is your own quote and in additional, they scored after that an hour of decent game we had which change the whole mentally of the game and Benitez's tactic.
I didn't really had the feeling that Everton was actually a low block in the first half.
That changed in the second half when we brought on Ronaldo.
The fact you even said we looked decent in that an hour of game shows inconsistent in your argument when you also questioned that we don't have pattern of play. We can't be look decent without pattern of play.

NZT-One

1) You have to look at other teams also don't show consistency with those players of lesser quality just like us are also playing good in some games but there is no consistency to keep it up.

2) Go back to my first post, read first then you can come back talk about it.

a & b) I gave my answers already and I told you already to read in my whole first post that Ole was wrong to play non-technical players to force them playing in the pattern of play he set up while benching players who could suit more.

c) You answered your own question: This below is your own quote and in additional, they scored after that an hour of decent game we had which change the whole mentally of the game and Benitez's tactic.

The fact you even said we looked decent in that an hour of game shows inconsistent in your argument when you also questioned that we don't have pattern of play. We can't be look decent without pattern of play.
ok. I guess, there is no point elaborating this any further.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Thanks for solidifying my argument. :)

If it wasn't meant sincerely: very bad or awful probably isn't the best word to describe a coaching, that got us quite a lot of wins in the last 2 years. A lot of goals and a few deep runs in tournament. Seriously don't make me take a stand for Ole now, I am not suited for it, but awful just a few levels OTT. I think, the common ground should be that the coaching is ok to alright but not close to the level of our competitors.
I concede to your point, bravo.

PS: You've just taught me a new way to acknowledge a lost argument on the internet. Easier on the ego this "concede" business. And probably more appropriate considering the largely subjective nature of internet engagements.

Last edited:

largelyworried

Yeah maybe but its also the responsibility of top level, experienced pros right?

For the disallowed goal, should McKenna have to coach a player like Varane to not rush out and leave space and an unmarked player behind him like that?
The problem is actually that we have three attackers all on the same side of the pitch rush upfield at once wanting the counter attack. When the ball gets turned over, that leaves acres of space on the left side of our box to pass into, as you can see in the picture above. Thats just set piece coaching.

But for the Everton goal, can you explain what coaching is lacking to stop it happening?
The Fred thing, OK let's just accept that can happen. The problem is that two players, Varane and Shaw, have both gone for the player on the ball and neither have covered the runner. Neither knew exactly what they should be doing and ended up trying to do the same thing.

Dealing with counter attacks, deciding who covers what and when, that's exactly kind of thing the players do all day at training. When their main striker runs the entire length of the field unmarked into our box to score, that's not an individual mistake.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I don't think it's about priorities. You don't spend the money we've spent and sign the players we've signed in order to just target top 4.

I really think that the club is lost. People there are scarred from the tenures of LVG and Mourinho. They brought in Solskjaer, saw the mood improve, saw periods of upwards trajectory and are now hoping and praying for more of it because if they let him go they have no idea who to appoint and who will offer continuancy to what we've built in recent years.
This post has nailed it.

The higher-ups are just too scared of making a decision. This has been the case post-Fergie, they haven't reacted until it's almost necessary. Ole was given the job early because he had backing of almost every Utd fan at the time, the call to appoint him was too easy. It also allowed them a jail free card, in case things went south. Which they certainly did at end of his 1st season. From what Woodward has spoken, he really believes they have something in Ole. Hence, his parting gift was a new 3+1 contract for Ole few months ago.

Unfortunately for us, the most frustrating aspect is, his dismissal will be long and drawn out. They'll have to be forced into making a decision. But, that's not even the scary part? The scariest bit is, I genuinely don't have any faith in them making the right call when it comes to our future. You look at the managers and contrasting football styles they've employed in past 8 years. Does anyone feel confident, that our board has the vision of what future Utd looks like? Ole's new deal puts things into perspective, our problems have been similar and apparent for a while. Most fans, just chose to ignore them. And, so did our board but they still rewarded him with a new deal. It's terrifying that with the resources we have, we still don't have a clue on how to setup the success for immediate future.

acrebo

There's no coaching that can deal with four individual mistakes in 30 seconds. What coaching would have stopped Evertons goal?

I'm not saying this to defend Ole but so far this season its been an incredible amount of individual errors.

There doesn't seem to be enough concentration,focus or something along those lines.
I disagree with your first point. Coaching is designed to make players better and ensure they know how to handle certain situations.

When Fred picked that ball up facing his own goal, he had two options. A simple pass back to his defender or a ‘cute’ ball around to his left which was never on due to Gray’s position. He tried the cute ball when there was no need and subsequently lost it. Then, in an attempt to recover, he got caught wrong side and didn’t have the forethought to just foul Gray to stop the attack.

The whole way he dealt with the threat suggests he didn’t have a clue what to do.The fact that we get caught on countless counterattacks at the moment suggests we are just not working on them in training… coaching.

Coaching isn’t just about improving players’ technical ability, but ensuring that everyone knows how to play in a specific system and what to do in certain scenarios. Even the most experienced pros will need to be coached to understand what their roles are on the pitch, what they do at set pieces, where they position themselves, where they should target their passing, etc.

Expecting players to just turn up and produce magic is incredibly naive and seems to be exactly what our coaches are doing. Our entire game plan seems to be set up on passing it from side to side to get a wide player on the ball, then cross it into a crowded area…

LJJT

[QUOTE="AneRu, post: 27875450, member: 11835
Those individual errors cost us how many goals?
[/QUOTE]
feels like every single one at the minute

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We get killed on the counter in every game. It’s ridiculous.

It’s deafening how much we’re missing a proper CDM.

stw2022

I suspect he is afraid of upsetting the apple cart by calling out players on their mistakes or performance. When have you ever seen a player have a poor game and come back next week looking like they’ve been torn a new arse, fired up and improved under him?

When have you ever seen the team react this way to a bad performance?

The ONLY thing he’s got going for him now is this idea he deserves continued employment due to how bad the dressing room was under Mourinho and how it improved under him. You think he’s giving these players a bollocking every time they deserve it? No fecking chance

Part of me wonders if this is why he’s playing ‘strongman’ with VDB

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I suspect he is afraid of upsetting the apple cart by calling out players on their mistakes or performance. When have you ever seen a player have a poor game and come back next week looking like they’ve been torn a new arse, fired up and improved under him?

When have you ever seen the team react this way to a bad performance?

The ONLY thing he’s got going for him now is this idea he deserves continued employment due to how bad the dressing room was under Mourinho and how it improved under him. You think he’s giving these players a bollocking every time they deserve it? No fecking chance

Part of me wonders if this is why he’s playing ‘strongman’ with VDB
Exactly my impression. If you watch the clip where he’s annoyingly smiling and laughing in the 93rd minute it starts with him shouting orders to ‘Scotty’…..that he then feels he has to mitigate by letting him know they are still pals. ‘Like me’ ‘Like me’ it’s not good enough. He was ruthless as a footballer but as a man he is sadly just too nice. He’s a great guy and he’s done a very good job in certain areas but he’s not going to control Ronaldo’s appetite and Varane’s expectations.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Only showing this because I didn't realise David Brent was a fan!

He brushes his hair with his hand and I hear 'I can make that dream come true to, aka, for you'
Loved the Play Donny sign in the background. :lol: As everyone say the crowd will not turn on Ole in the stadium, but it is now obvious that the fans are not in the least happy with what is happening.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly my impression. If you watch the clip where he’s annoyingly smiling and laughing in the 93rd minute it starts with him shouting orders to ‘Scotty’…..that he then feels he has to mitigate by letting him know they are still pals. ‘Like me’ ‘Like me’ it’s not good enough. He was ruthless as a footballer but as a man he is sadly just too nice. He’s a great guy and he’s done a very good job in certain areas but he’s not going to control Ronaldo’s appetite and Varane’s expectations.
Exactly. You are the manager Ole. If you want to rip someone head off just do it. He is far too pally with them. This is a ruthless business and other managers are now just making a fool of him.

lsd

The Oracle
I find it strange that players who have left the club under Ole have never mentioned anything negative about the coaching they received at United nor have they mentioned Ole is weak tactically.

However I have seen a lot of players who were critical of these things under the previous managers Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

If Ole is such a poor coach how come people who have worked for him never mention it ?

laughtersassassin

I find it strange that players who have left the club under Ole have never mentioned anything negative about the coaching they received at United nor have they mentioned Ole is weak tactically.

However I have seen a lot of players who were critical of these things under the previous managers Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

If Ole is such a poor coach how come people who have worked for him never mention it ?
Probably cause he isn't an asshole. We know Ole isn't of the required managerial quality.

He isn't near Pep Klopp or Tuchel level and that's what we need.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Coaching isn't even coming into it at this point.

We need to start with not doing ridiculous things like completely wasting two substitutes with over 30 minutes left when you are 1-0 up.

Nearly every game this season Ole has either set up the team or made changes which have made it significantly more difficult for them to win than it should be, regardless of how well or not they may be coached.

That's a pretty massive problem. Especially as often you can actually visibly see how his interference makes things more difficult and drains the confidence from the players.

It also drains the enjoyment out of watching the team. I've spent a majority of our games this season frustrated and irritated at watching our players struggle against our own game management, rather than actually enjoying the football.

It really is the most basic part of management to be able to recognise what is and isn't working and Ole is failing that test in every single game and often actually sabotaging things that are working to boot.

Last edited:

gajender

Most obvious explanation is usually is the correct one rather than looking for some deeper analysis like some are doing in this thread, like how Ole seems to be pally and friendly with players which might be affecting how seriously he is taken by players , how many who have left Under Ole have not said anything about his poor coaching how about we just trust what we see regularly on the pitch which is abysmal most of the time which is clear indication of how average is Solskjaer as a coach .

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m just totally at a loss now! Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole have all tried and all failed at producing anything close to decent football.
Job was too bug for Moyes. Other 2 were well past it. And seems Ole’s taken us as far as he can. We’ve just gotten all 4 appointments wrong IMO. Well, Ole wasn’t the wrong appointment. He’s done some good things.

Bestietom

Is it a training ground thing that we keep passing the ball backwards and across the line when a good thump forward into space could be the best option with the speed of our forwards.
Holding up the ball while doing this backwards and sideways passing has got us caught out many times instead of pumping it forwards. We seem to wait and give the opposition a chance to get back and mark our forwards. I have seen Ronaldo and Cavani with their hands up calling for the ball, and players playing the safety first method. We have forgotten the game of chance with the long ball.

Andersons Dietician

Is it a training ground thing that we keep passing the ball backwards and across the line when a good thump forward into space could be the best option with the speed of our forwards.
Holding up the ball while doing this backwards and sideways passing has got us caught out many times instead of pumping it forwards. We seem to wait and give the opposition a chance to get back and mark our forwards. I have seen Ronaldo and Cavani with their hands up calling for the ball, and players playing the safety first method. We have forgotten the game of chance with the long ball.
Bruno’s entire game is based on that “one chance” style of play. Which often leads to us losing possesion and getting turned over.

It’s ok playing a long ball over the top when it’s an option, most the times teams are waiting for this moment because it’s easy to defend. Even yesterday we tried it multiple times and we really struggled to win the initial header.

Kcocymkcus

I'm still completely baffled by the whole Sancho transfer.
We spend 3 seasons chasing him and for what? He's barely played and when he does he's expected to play in a completely different way to what he's done at Dortmund. It beggars belief. What goes through Oles mind?

Fred and McTomminay simply aren't up to standard, so playing them in a midfield 2 to sweep up is like using chewing gum to fix the holes in a submarine.

I'm so tired of seeing Utd spend big money on key signings only to play them out of position or not play them at all. Mark my words, give it 2 seasons under this managed team and Sancho will be putting in a transfer request.

NZT-One

Why would you have a go at someone you might have liked? For no reason? I mean, Ole seems to be a more than decent guy, fair, transparent. I don't think, there is any reason, that he went into a fight with someone, which would have been able to end in a situation of having a player with some sort of motivation to have a dig. I think, that is the most plausible answer to your question.

And who knows, as we don't know any insights, maybe the coaching isn't the only problem at Carrington, maybe we have too many players who are a bit thick. Or our coaching team isn't really suited to communicate their point. There are so many factors that could go into it - as somebody else said, microscoping these things will only get us so far, best is to rely on what we see on the pitch because at the end of the day, it is a results business.

What??? Are you sure we are talking about Manchester United? Mens 1st team? Season 21/22?

Because if anything, we go way to much with the long balls. And even with having Ronaldo and/or Cavani up top, these kind of balls are always a percentage game and an easily lost possession in way too many cases. We are crying out for having some sort of control over matches, keeping the ball to avoid being attacked and trying to use it to create largely promising goal chances...Yet you describe the need to play more long balls.

Did I misunderstand your point maybe? Because it seems completely wrong to me. Just watch the game yesterday, when Pogba entered the pitch, we did nothing but hit it long (no wonder, midfield has been abandonded from then on).

mancan92

Yeah maybe but its also the responsibility of top level, experienced pros right?

For the disallowed goal, should McKenna have to coach a player like Varane to not rush out and leave space and an unmarked player behind him like that?

But for the Everton goal, can you explain what coaching is lacking to stop it happening?
Theres a reason Everton never allowed us to create a situation like that one in the pic where Everton should have won the match. That's literally coaching. Good coaches reduce the errors players make its that simple.

mancan92

Because he is a nice guy and has never called them out. No players call out managers that aren't dicks to them.

Bestietom

Why would you have a go at someone you might have liked? For no reason? I mean, Ole seems to be a more than decent guy, fair, transparent. I don't think, there is any reason, that he went into a fight with someone, which would have been able to end in a situation of having a player with some sort of motivation to have a dig. I think, that is the most plausible answer to your question.

And who knows, as we don't know any insights, maybe the coaching isn't the only problem at Carrington, maybe we have too many players who are a bit thick. Or our coaching team isn't really suited to communicate their point. There are so many factors that could go into it - as somebody else said, microscoping these things will only get us so far, best is to rely on what we see on the pitch because at the end of the day, it is a results business.

What??? Are you sure we are talking about Manchester United? Mens 1st team? Season 21/22?

Because if anything, we go way to much with the long balls. And even with having Ronaldo and/or Cavani up top, these kind of balls are always a percentage game and an easily lost possession in way too many cases. We are crying out for having some sort of control over matches, keeping the ball to avoid being attacked and trying to use it to create largely promising goal chances...Yet you describe the need to play more long balls.

Did I misunderstand your point maybe? Because it seems completely wrong to me. Just watch the game yesterday, when Pogba entered the pitch, we did nothing but hit it long (no wonder, midfield has been abandonded from then on).
No I meant when we are under pressure, and playing around with the ball in our own half. We seem to eventually lose the ball with the simple pass going astray, and most times it's turned into conceding a goal, when the long ball can take the pressure off us and maybe even put pressure on them. Carrick used to do this all the time, but it seems we have not got anyone bar Pogba who can pass long and direct.

Bestietom

Bruno still free role, Rondo up front, two wingers playing deep helping out the defense and a clever pass from deep to unleash them.

Wouldn't it be great if the two wingers were playing deep helping out the defense and the quality of Bruno, vdb, Shaw, Pogba picking them out.
Welcome.

Have any of the Chelsea lads come out and said Lampard was crap @lsd?
Seems like a weird thing to do, and something a player would only do to a manager who treated them like shit. (we’ll see what Donny has to say next Summer)

stw2022

Players gladly accept managerial mediocrity. Most top league players are managed week in and week out by objectively average managers.

Bestietom

Bruno’s entire game is based on that “one chance” style of play. Which often leads to us losing possesion and getting turned over.

It’s ok playing a long ball over the top when it’s an option, most the times teams are waiting for this moment because it’s easy to defend. Even yesterday we tried it multiple times and we really struggled to win the initial header.
If the ball was played properly into space or directly to the feet of our players, like Carrick used to do. It takes the pressure off us and allows our players to get back into position. It also gives the advantage back to us to press for goal. We have conceded too many times by losing the ball in our own half by passing the ball backwards and sideways. We just don't have a midfielder who can pass the ball to get us out of trouble in these situations,
Teams have got to know our play when pressing us, and know that a mistake will come by passing backwards and sideways like this. We have been caught out too many times this season and last season doing this, which is mostly why we can't keep a clean sheet in games.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Too much sense in this, will never happen.