We are an awfully coached team

SeanyC

Result but don’t let this fool us…bigger fish to tackle to come, beat city next week and I’ll lay off for a while (1 week) :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

A win is a win, & what looks to be one by a 3 goal margin is a damn good win but let’s not get carried away, we’ve been here a few times before.

Crashoutcassius

Played well today. Unfortunately this approach suits our team well, especially since ronaldo has to play. very hard in Sancho who I can see getting very little game time if ole keeps his job a while longer, and even less if Conte comes in

Biggins

It seems that he still hasn’t lost the dressing room as the players responded pretty well today. Still needs to get a win against Atalanta and then at least provide a good showing against City. First good step made though

passing-wind

It's actually the one tactic Ole gets right, sitting deep and be quick on the break. Think it's our best set up under Ole.
I've been saying this the last two weeks. Ole cannot manage anything outside of this approach. Solskjaer should just depend on this system because it will at the very least see him end the season.

NZT-One

Looked like the United of last season. Defensively sound but creating next to nothing. But I take defensively sound at this point. I like that Ole switched formations. He had to do something. But to put it in perspective, it felt like Spurs had this one game per season that we had last year against them (and hopefully this year against Liverpool).

Jeffthered

We look an awfully coached team when we’re trying to play a way our coach can’t teach.

It’s no coincidence we looked good tonight, Ole is very good at coaching counter attacking football.
You must be kidding. Tonight proved that this charade of Ole trying to implement the 'United way' has been utter tosh. We played seven defensive players. That's not great coaching, that's a rescue act.

We now feel satisfied beating an absolutely abject, awful team by sitting deep.

And btw, this 'counter-attack' option, where did that get us? You think the other top teams are concerned by that?

Ole isn't taking us anywhere... the better teams are pulling away.

Denis79

You must be kidding. Tonight proved that this charade of Ole trying to implement the 'United way' has been utter tosh. We played seven defensive players. That's not great coaching, that's a rescue act.

And btw, this 'counter-attack' option, where did that get us? You think the other top teams are concerned by that?

It won't win us anything but he might save his job until the end of the season, that's his ambition now.

NZT-One

It won't win us anything but he might save his job until the end of the season, that's his ambition now.
And the manager has every right to go for that target. I have not a single issue with it as long as the club is doing what it is supposed to do. Looking for the perfect successor and prepare as much as possible for his arrival.

Denis79

And the manager has every right to go for that target. I have not a single issue with it as long as the club is doing what it is supposed to do. Looking for the perfect successor and prepare as much as possible for his arrival.
Not complaining but if a better manager is available and is willing to come now we should go for him. I don't like the idea of wasting this year.

NZT-One

Not complaining but if a better manager is available and is willing to come now we should go for him. I don't like the idea of wasting this year.
Yeah I understand what you mean. But it feels like this "better manager" is Conte and this feels a bit like a shortcut .I mean, if he is the best candidate after a thourough examination, then fine but I doubt, we took that time.

Cheer up lad, we won.

As far as i’m concerned those 7 defensive players should play every week if they put in performances like that.
Are we mixing performances with results again? Or what do you mean by performance?

Were you not satisfied with that performance?
Were you? We played 7 defenders yet they still got the ball in the net before us and Son had a 1v1 he would have scored on any other day. We were bang average and relied on the fact we have two of the best strikers of the last 20 years in our team, and they don't.

It was a good result, but let's not pretend this is some corner turned.

NZT-One

Were you not satisfied with that performance?
Satisfied? Was it a good performance? Or was it a good performance in the light of recent performances?

We were good defensively. And we finished very well but both counters were somewhat gifted by the opposition. So it wasn't like we were forcing anything, it was Tottenham giving stuff away.

What did you consider so good of the performance?

dutchred

Are we badly coached at all levels? Looking at the Under 23's today, a front four of Shoretire, Elenga, Diallo and Hughill and we couldn't beat spurs. Same with the under 18's against Derby, good that we fought back from 2 0 down buy should we have been in that position.
A DOF should be looking at this at all levels.
At Ajax any youngster can walk into the first team and know the way they play. Can we say the same by us? I agree in principal how we operate at junior levels that performance is more important than results, but even so performance should be geared towards a system, a pattern. Can Mejbri or Galbraith walk into the first team and know which system we are playing and which system we are using?

big rons sovereign

Waaaah.

NZT-One

We kept our shape well, we were excellent at closing spaces, our distances were near perfect, spurs very rarely had opportunity to play forward passes into the final third, there were some good individual performances & we countered well. I always felt as if we were in control of the game.
"Excellent", "near perfect" - I think, that is pushing it quite a bit but each to their own. Hope I didn't made you think, I wouldn't respect that opinion, I just don't share it. And I agree mostly with the last sentence though, we were quite comfortable, but Spurs weren't asking a lot of difficult questions.

Yes it wasn’t the greatest attacking display we’ve ever seen but I honestly don’t see how a Manchester United fan could come away from that game unsatisfied.
Yet here we are and you see us unsatisfied :) I can imagine that looks picky or spoilt or anything. But it isn't meant like that. I like the positive result. I like the disciplined performance, like the manager for adjusting the system and approach. But to call the performance good or great does feel just as wrong as some of the criticism of the last two matches felt wrong too.

Good performance in light of recent performances? Maybe, but i’ll take it.

Corner turned? No, but it’s a start.
In conclusion, we seem to be aligned. What an end for the day ^^

LJJT

Today proves a lot of people talk a lot of bollocks. He changed the tactics and the team, it worked. We are back in the melting pot. We are progressing, we are a good team and Ole is at the wheel

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

We stopped the relentless talk about not keeping a clean sheet and we got a comfortable 3-0 away win.

The manager truly can do nothing right, win lose or draw.

Flytan

We stopped the relentless talk about not keeping a clean sheet and we got a comfortable 3-0 away win.

The manager truly can do nothing right, win lose or draw.
That's because he's already proven he's incompetent. Years of being tactically inept has already cemetended his time here as underwhelming.. It doesn't matter what he does anymore. He's done this like 5 other times, this isn't new.

Then again you're just a massive troll who loves his countryman, so dunno why I'm replying to you

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A poorly coached team does not put in a cohesive display away from home in a new formation.

Just shows that tactics and formations ARE being worked on at the training ground.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's because he's already proven he's incompetent. Years of being tactically inept has already cemetended his time here as underwhelming.. It doesn't matter what he does anymore. He's done this like 5 other times, this isn't new.

Then again you're just a massive troll who loves his countryman, so dunno why I'm replying to you
You dont think its a bit over the top calling me a troll for that comment?

NZT-One

A poorly coached team does not put in a cohesive display away from home in a new formation.

Just shows that tactics and formations ARE being worked on at the training ground.
Cohesive? What?

Well I am sure, we are doing something during the week, don't think anybody suggested the players are just doing yoga and selfaffirmation and stuff. We played defensively against a horrible Spurs team. We finished a halfchance very very well and finished two counters professional. Thats all good but lets not act, as if the big picture has changed anything. Today the manager put all his money on defense: Varane back from injury directly into the starting 11, 3-at-the-back system, sitting deep and wait for counters approach throughout the match - credit where credit is due, we won convincingly but we shouldn't feel more secure than before. After all we've seen this might just have been some sort of blip. Just with a more positive result than the blip against Liverpool the other weekend.

Caesar2290

Is it a coincidence that the only games we actually looked competent in Ole's tenure are the ones that afford us space to run into?

Leeds, Leipzig(home), Southampton all have one thing in common. We were afforded acres of space. Today was no different. I think this is the only coaching our team actually receives.

The best way to play against us is to give us the ball and hit us on the counter. Then our team is forced to rely on individual brilliance to "unlock" these said defenses.

It's going to be interesting how City are going to line up though.

Sviken

umm, we played 7 in defence.