We are an awfully coached team

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When he took one off you saw how open we were right? Also who else is fit that isn’t a defensive minded midfielder.
That's risk taking, Fergie was good at it. You have to go for it, the sub should have been made at half-time, along with Greenwood.

I refuse to believe Pep or even Rodgers would not have won the game today with this team. West Brom are not a good side and Sam is not a good manager anymore.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This game has summed up all my issues with the coaching team. No clear pattern of play, odd team selections, subs being made far too late into the game.

Also, we have been far too patchy under Ole, it's rather worrying.
we do have patterns of play. They are just breaking down because Rashford and Martial can’t create. Who else can the manager play there?

90 + 5min

That's not point. How long are we going to wait ? For every 1 step ,we are taking 2 steps back.
He has taken us as far as he could.

Yes, we had a great first half- 40 points from 19 at approx 2 ppg.

Now 5 points from last 5 . Ringing any bells ? This is exactly how Oles whole tenure has been.
Wait for what? League titel? Well, I don't think anyone have said that we could win this year. What did you expect this year? Winning everything?

If he has take us as far as he can? I can't answer that. Nobody can. I've said before that he needs to be given time and that next season is the season I will have expectations. If we stay 2nd and win some trophy, we could say it was a good season. Could we?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That's risk taking, Fergie was good at it. You have to go for it, the sub should have been made at half-time, along with Greenwood.

I refuse to believe Pep or even Rodgers would not have won the game today with this team. West Brom are not a good side and Sam is not a good manager anymore.
Pep failed to beat West Brom earlier in the season. As did Klopp.

Lewnited

We need to be careful what we wish for abit and there’s partly where my support is coming from even in a really difficult period for the team. To my mind its clear that Ole is one of the best man managers around at the moment for this squad. Even the staunchest Ole critics have to admit that all of the players have been pulling in the same direction and playing for the manager the whole time. That wasn’t the case under the previous guys.

I do however think there are some obvious coaching weaknesses that could end up holding us back. We still don’t play particularly well as a team, in any phase of the game. I’m on the fence. If we could get a progressive manager in who can implement his style onto this team we could kick on and improve, equally if they can’t control the egos we could end up in a situation like Mourinho again where certain good players are alienated.
I think this perfectly sums up where I am as well. I imagine the last two years would have been pretty cathartic for players like Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Pogba etc who looked devoid of confidence in Mourinho's final years. Psychologically, I think he's had a good effect on the team.

But beyond looking like we have the grit to fight back when we're playing badly (which to be honest is just as much down to Bruno), we don't look all that improved over the course of a 90 minute game.

roonaldo78

Wait for what? League titel? Well, I don't think anyone have said that we could win this year. What did you expect this year? Winning everything?

If he has take us as far as he can? I can't answer that. Nobody can. I've said before that he needs to be given time and that next season is the season I will have expectations. If we stay 2nd and win some trophy, we could say it was a good season. Could we?
Why next season and not the 2.5 years that has gone? What do you expect him to do differently that he has not done for the past two years? So going by your standards we should have given the likes of Moyes 4 years as well before we can start expecting something?

PlayerOne

Pep failed to beat West Brom earlier in the season. As did Klopp.
City are the start of the season and City in this form is a whole different game.

FYI, Ole deserves this season at least. Top 4 and cup and it's a very good season for me.

But the patterns under Ole have been there for a while now, the patchy winning runs, looking rather lost against deep lying teams and not being dominant for a full 90.

PlayerOne

we do have patterns of play. They are just breaking down because Rashford and Martial can’t create. Who else can the manager play there?
But putting Rashford on the right wing, when he doesn't want to use his left foot at all is rather pointless, IMO. Rashford has to be play on the left, or not play at all. Putting players into positions they're not conformable in doesn't help.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
And once Ole puts himself in the same bracket managerial wise as Pep and Klopp then the comparison might be valid.
Nobody is close to Pep in my opinion. But it's stupid to say things like we would have definitely won with him in charge.

Redlyn

We will not get top 4. He should be catapulted out of the club if that happens. But if he by a miracle manages to get top 4, then he should be sacked without being catapulted, just tell him thank you for your service, it did not work.
Who are these teams flying past us? Only city is consistent. The rest are as bad as us or worse.

dave1956

You see players making the same moves, passes and mistakes in every game, this has to be down to coaching levels or the players are either not capable of understanding what is required or do not have the required skill level to execute what the coaches expect of them.
Looking at the squad I would say it is clearly down to the coaching staff, as I have said before our coaches do not have the level of experience to develop a team or playing systems to take us to the next level.
At this level you cannot have coaches learning on the job as we have in Carrick and Fletcher, plus I believe that we have a manager who has taken the team as far as he can, however, I cannot see him leaving anytime soon and if that is the case then we need to improve the quality of our coaching staff to work with him.

Judas

Open to offers
We need an injection of something new, be it different coaches to work with Ole or new players. We've seen far too many performances just like this, its not a one off, it wasn't one of those days, it was a rather typical game from this group.

Last edited:

croadyman

We need an injection of something new, be it different coaches to work with Ole or new players. We've seen fair too many performances just like this, its not a one off, it wasn't one of those days, it was a rather typical game from this group.
Yeah but the stubborn one won't ask for it because that would be admitting he's wrong

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s weird how everyone universally acknowledges that 2 or 3 real quality signings is what got Liverpool over the line from challenging to dominating. Our recruitment has been way off for years and Ole has us close(ish) while going into the season with Rashford Martial Greenwood and Cavani as our strikers/wingers. Not an ounce of creativity there and it should have been addressed last summer but it never is

Last edited:

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It's the same old cycle of playing well for a while and then ultimately fading away. We are a confidence team, when tails are up everyone's running moving closing-down and things just come together through sheer collective will. When that confidence wanes, ball moves slowly, everyone's static and we look like a group of individuals who've never played together before. We have yet to become a team with clear defined roles when it comes to progressing the ball forward as a unit. You can't just swap a player out and expect us to maintain a similar structure for example, it all completely changes from game-to-game sub-to-sub and you can see it in our player's movements that they don't know where they should expect each other to be - it's all done on the fly.

It's great we have had world class talents like Bruno and Pogba to get us through games, it's why they earn the big bucks. But it's not a sustainable way to play if the aim is to be successful in winning trophies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Title? Feck, I am talking about top 4.

OrcaFat

And once Ole puts himself in the same bracket managerial wise as Pep and Klopp then the comparison might be valid.
Don’t people compare Ole with those guys all the time? It’s fine to compare him with them to put him down but not to defend him. Is how it looks to me.

Robindinho

So we don’t have the personal atm who can create from the middle and that’s on the manager to somehow coach good forward passing into two players that aren’t known for it. Got it.
We do if he’d change the system - far too rigid in playing 2 sitting midfielders. You’d think he’d get the idea by now with how many times we struggle against low block teams.

Why not try a midfield 3? Donny & Bruno ahead of one of Fred/McT/Matic... Instead, we’ll just plod on with the 4-2-3-1 with the back four and Mcfred passing it sideways to each other.

Offsideagain

You can predict what we will do in attack every time. Not so in defence because they don’t even know what the ++++ they are going to do. The coaches can coach all they like, but if it doesn’t sink in, then we all could do the job.

Ludens the Red

@Raven
@rotherham_red

Not looking for a tit for tat but genuinely curious to know your thoughts on games like today (bearing in mind it’s the third performance of this ilk literally in the last three weeks)
You were very strong in your opinions that our football is much better than under previous regimes.
What’s your take on performances like today? Against Sheff Utd? And how does it measure to some of the games under van Gaal and Mourinho?

JohnnyKills

This is the issue atm.

People pile on Martial because it's fashionable and, to be fair, he gives them plenty of ammunition, but practically all our forwards are struggling.

Rashford has the same flaws now that he had under Mourinho. James and Van der Beek have added nothing since they came. Lingard has gone from a WC semi-finalist to a discard.

Bruno is the only one who's thriving and he's been the same since he arrived.

Ole needs to do himself a favour and bring in a coach who can get more out of these attackers. Is Mulensteen still available?

OrcaFat

This relatively poor run has contained only one defeat, hasn’t it? As far as I recall.

The football has still been better than previous regimes and even if not winning we are working the ball and bossing possession and scoring goals.

It’s no secret but it’s the lack of clean sheets in these scrappy games against the low-blockers that cost us the points. If the defence cut out silly errors just half of the time, we’d still be up with city.

Coaches make mistakes and I thought we made some today but the overall curve is very much upwards.

Foxbatt

It's terrible if we can't beat the top bottom teams. As others have said we get individual brilliance to get us to win games.
Even Brighton play better football than us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah. A skills coach like Muelensteen could do wonders for our forwards.
For sure. Ole seems great for the man management but we need a proper coach on the training pitch. We even had Carlos & Rene under Fergie, who was a much better coach than Ole. Ole, Carrick & McKenna all inexperienced or not good enough

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah. A skills coach like Muelensteen could do wonders for our forwards.
This is the route I wanted us to go down at the end of last season. It just seems this team desperately needs some fresh ideas, some invention. Ole clearly is a good man manager, but even Fergie didn't do it all alone. I'm not convinced what Ole has on his bench currently is the best we can do, in fact I'm sure its not.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This is the route I wanted us to go down at the end of last season. It just seems this team desperately needs some fresh ideas, some invention. Ole clearly is a good man manager, but even Fergie didn't do it all alone. I'm not convinced what Ole has on his bench currently is the best we can do, in fact I'm sure its not.
You're acting like you're a board member :lol: it doesn't matter what route you wanted to go down.

OrcaFat

I agree with this.

(Although silly defending is the main problem)