We are going for the title....

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Frustrating as a lot of it is from our own making but it's eerily similar to Mourinho and Chelsea last season. Doing pretty well against the bigger teams but losing silly points against the bottom teams whilst playing pretty poor as well. To be honest, imo, Chelsea really should have won the title last season but they blew it towards the end. Similarly, we really should have been at least challenging Chelsea and City this season but that doesn't look like happening in all truth.

Mourinho has improved Chelsea a lot though this season, as you can tell from how many games they've lost this season. Hopefully LVG will follow the same trajectory as Jose.
Yeah, it's something I see happening. Final tweaks to the side he wants in the summer, and then we'll have the side strong enough to challenge for the league, and once fully embedded the UCL.

izec

we lost the title in our away games. Burnley, WBA, Leicester, Sunderland, Villa. It is too early, we look a bit clueless at the moment. No matter who we bring in in January, it wont change. Chelsea and City are too far away. They will lose some points, we will probably more, but not less. I would be surprised if we could close the gap by some points. We dont have to fight one team, but 2 teams and that they both suddenly lose their lead, no chance. I didnt expect a title charge this year, so wont be disappointed and i didnt really think that we could have a real chance even after the little run of victories. Next year though, i expect us to be in it.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Nice, need to beat the barcodes then.

As for the Villa result i'm actually not too annoyed. They're a good side defensively, it's an away game, we were awful and we came from one down to take something. 7 unbeaten. We obviously need to be beating the likes of Villa but the progress is there and i think our mentality is returning. One year ago we'd have probably let our heads drop.
Nor am I and I think we're moving through the gears, if we manage to get a settled side and especially get our full backs fit which hopefully will mean ditching the 352 we will improve progressively.
We have only lost 1 in 12 and that to the Champions away playing with 10 men since we got beat by Clattenburg

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
Can't see it myself.

United don't look better than either City or Chelsea so step-change improvement would be needed. The problem is, even if that were to happen, being 7 points behind both City and Chelsea (and possibly 10 behind Chelsea tonight) means you are reliant on two teams slipping up, not one. If it was Arsenal and Liverpool 1 & 2 then fair enough, but I don't see both City AND Chelsea dropping the ball. City are brimming with confidence and have the experience of having won it twice in the past 3 seasons, so they know what to do. And Chelsea have the better squad imho, and Mourinho too. So, it's a no from me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The fact that this thread even exists and has some level of debate is evidence of the progress that has been made since last years debacle.

With the quality of incomings, this season had some hope but the uncertainty at the start of the season and the injury crisis killed that hope.

I expect LVG to have the squad he wants from me to season and fully expect trophies to start coming then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
don't win, title off
win, title on

that's kneejerk city right here.

Wayne's World

Let's get back into the Champions League first then we can realistically go for the title again, we are miles away from Chelsea and City this season

Finishing 3rd should be the most important priority then next season get more players in and see what we can do for a title charge next year

Shark

@NotShark
Our away form seriously needs to improve if we're going to have a go at the title. It reminds me a bit of the 10/11 season in that regard, just being constantly outplayed on the road.

The good thing is though, Old Trafford is looking like a fortress again and I feel confident of beating most teams in the league there.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Well still lots of games to go, but we can't keep dropping points against these types of teams if we want to get back in the hunt. Disappointing result, but main thing this year is just to get back into the top 4 and back into the CL. Then finish up the rebuilding job this summer.

Sir A1ex

don't win, title off
win, title on

that's kneejerk city right here.
Yeah, though to be fair it's the 2nd half of that where the real idiocy is. Anybody who actually watche our 6 wins could tell you that we do not look like a team that is going to be fighting for the title come May - the Villa match could have been just about any one of those previous 6.

Roboc7

We probably needed 10 points from the 4 games against Villa, Newcastle, Stoke and Spurs to have even a slight chance but I don’t see us winning the next 3 games and would be happy if we are still 3rd after the Spurs game, the title will have to wait until next season. Although we look strong on paper the constant injuries and the fact that we struggle to accommodate our best players into the same team mean that in reality we would do well to finish as close as we are to City and Chelsea now let alone make any significant gains or overtake them.

But if we can secure Champions League football it will give us more money, make it easier to attract players and for the first time in a few years we can go into the summer transfer knowing where we want to improve and who we want to sign so I would expect to at least challenge next season.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
We probably needed 10 points from the 4 games against Villa, Newcastle, Stoke and Spurs .
Dreading those games tbh!! Fully expect us to drop points what with our performances away from home! Cue mass muppet suicide on the 1st of Jan!

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Seven points behind, improving every week. :wenger:

13th round - 13 points
14th round - 11 points
15th round - 11 points
16th round - 8 points
17th round - 7 points*

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Seven points behind, improving every week. :wenger:

13th round - 13 points
14th round - 11 points
15th round - 11 points
16th round - 8 points
17th round - 7 points*
I like how you think.

Frankly, despite the frustration of the draw at Villa, I don't see how people can throw in the towel before Xmas.

Until we get to April I'm not surrendering. If we're out of it by Easter that's one thing. But who knows what's gonna happen between now and then, especially with the teams above us having cup commitments.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
roll on a Chelsea defeat tonight, and we've actually cut the lead, making that Villa draw a good point.

Ok...I can't see Stoke winning either, especially after Hughes' "they can win all 4" toadying nonsense.

JUPITER

roll on a Chelsea defeat tonight, and we've actually cut the lead, making that Villa draw a good point.

Ok...I can't see Stoke winning either, especially after Hughes' "they can win all 4" toadying nonsense.
Chelsea will win tonight, but it doesn't mean the title is won. They and City will both drop points (as they both have already done).

The way people are talking about the Villa away draw as though it was a home loss is really odd though - especially as many of them are established posters who were calling for Moyes to be given time after record home defeats last season.

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
First things first I don't think we'll win the title.
Though I do think if we manage to get third (which has looked capable) then that will be a really good solid comeback for our club considering the clusterfeck that was last season.

Note: On Chelsea

They are the most complete side in the league but they have been very fortunate with very few injuries.
We've had massive injuries right across the squad. I'd like to see how Chelsea perform without Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Aspilicuetta, Matic, Fabregas etc for long periods...because this is what we've had to do all season long.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Arsenal choked a good lead last season didn't they? How likely is a capitulation of either City or Chelsea? Matic made a huge difference straight away to them when he joined in January 2014, so maybe if we can make a similar signing we can be in with a chance.

I'd really hate seeing us linger in 3rd for the rest of the season with no hope of catching them two teams but after last seaosn can we really complain?
Nope.
Don't take things for granted is what we've learnt.

if we do get back in the champions league, I hope we don't see the normal scenes of people moaning about the group stage!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agreed, and said nope we can't complain at 3rd, even if it means a tediously limited season.

And then said hope if we do get back into the champs league that our spoilt fans remember that it's not a given that we're there, and thus to not take the group stage for granted.

Are you with me?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I agreed, and said nope we can't complain at 3rd, even if it means a tediously limited season.

And then said hope if we do get back into the champs league that our spoilt fans remember that it's not a given that we're there, and thus to not take the group stage for granted.

Are you with me?
Oh, I agree with your first point.

And about complaining about 3rd place, it depends on how far off 1st we finish. If it's something like 5-8 points then I'll be pretty pissed of because silly results like Villa, Burnely, WBA, and Leicester would have cost us the league. If we finish 10 plus points behind the champions then we will obviously have to admit we were not good enough to challenge and really shouldn't complain about realities like that.

Not sure what your second point is but next season the CL groupstage is completely different with the seedings meaning we could be in a group with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and PSG :lol: so it will be interesting anyway. Plus we haven't done anything decent in the CL for years and most fans have never complained because it was obvious our squad hasn't been good enough since 09 to win the thing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oh, I agree with your first point.

And about complaining about 3rd place, it depends on how far off 1st we finish. If it's something like 5-8 points then I'll be pretty pissed of because silly results like Villa, Burnely, WBA, and Leicester would have cost us the league. If we finish 10 plus points behind the champions then we will obviously have to admit we were not good enough to challenge and really shouldn't complain about realities like that.

Not sure what your second point is but next season the CL groupstage is completely different with the seedings meaning we could be in a group with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and PSG :lol: so it will be interesting anyway. Plus we haven't done anything decent in the CL for years and most fans have never complained because it was obvious our squad hasn't been good enough since 09 to win the thing.
I had overlooked the changes to be honest, that'll be interesting then.

And yes, such a shame we bungled the Burnley, Leicester, Swansea games early on. Should have been 8 more points and we'd have been right amongst it.
But Van Gaal did have a load of new players to integrate, loads of injuries, and was still trying to shuffle some players out, yet rely on them in those games. Was a real tricky situation!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Interesting listening to Gary Neville just then talking up Chelsea's qualities and then pronouncing that's the reason them and City are streets ahead.... Now I don't disagree they are quite a bit ahead of us but am I the only one who looks at City and Chelsea and sees very few similarities between the two?

Chelsea are where they are because they're the most balanced team in the league and tactically they're spot on. City are where they are because they've a team full of superstars.

Paul the Wolf

First things first I don't think we'll win the title.
Though I do think if we manage to get third (which has looked capable) then that will be a really good solid comeback for our club considering the clusterfeck that was last season.

Note: On Chelsea

They are the most complete side in the league but they have been very fortunate with very few injuries.
We've had massive injuries right across the squad. I'd like to see how Chelsea perform without Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Aspilicuetta, Matic, Fabregas etc for long periods...because this is what we've had to do all season long.
Totally agree with you about Chelsea (not the first part) - if Chelsea had the number of injuries we have had over say the next 10/15 games - how much would that change the league

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree with you about Chelsea (not the first part) - if Chelsea had the number of injuries we have had over say the next 10/15 games - how much would that change the league
It would probably mean City would be top, so then you have to say if City had the same amount of injuries. Would probably bring you a bit closer maybe 5-6 off the top. Its a bit of an odd thing to compare since you can never actually tell, seeing as we do not rely on one or two players.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The real point is that they're not relying on injury prone players as much as we are.

There comes a point where it stops being luck and starts being a serious fitness issue in the squad. We reached that point when we started relying on all of Smalling, Evans, Jones, Rafael etc. to be key players. They built their squad in such a way that it isn't as much of a problem for them. That's one of the reasons they're a better team than us atm.

Paul the Wolf

It would probably mean City would be top, so then you have to say if City had the same amount of injuries. Would probably bring you a bit closer maybe 5-6 off the top. Its a bit of an odd thing to compare since you can never actually tell, seeing as we do not rely on one or two players.
Why is it odd, but you take out 3 or 4 or even 8 or 10 like us that would make a difference. Looked at the line ups prior to the Stoke match tonight - and surpise surprise - don't know if a Chelsea forum has line-up prediction league like we do but if they did - everyone would be joint-top:boring:

Gannicus

If we were in second place behind the league leader by 8 points, even 10 points, I'd say we have a chance at the trophy. But we're behind TWO clubs, neither of whom are flukes in the top two spots. No chance.

Play to win every game, for sure, but as fans we should be more than happy finishing in third place. It will give us an excellent platform to launch our assault on the world's most important league trophy next season.

Paul the Wolf

The real point is that they're not relying on injury prone players as much as we are.

There comes a point where it stops being luck and starts being a serious fitness issue in the squad. We reached that point when we started relying on all of Smalling, Evans, Jones, Rafael etc. to be key players. They built their squad in such a way that it isn't as much of a problem for them. That's one of the reasons they're a better team than us atm.
Their players have had injuries before but not for some time - they have played a virtually unchanged side, especially the defence apart from a bit of tinkering for a very long time

Apart from the players LvG inherited who have fair number of injuries all 6 of our signings have also been injured - add to that a lot of fans want us still to sign players like Strootman, Reus, Hummels, Vidal who have all been out with long term injuries:nervous:

Paul the Wolf

If we were in second place behind the league leader by 8 points, even 10 points, I'd say we have a chance at the trophy. But we're behind TWO clubs, neither of whom are flukes in the top two spots. No chance.

Play to win every game, for sure, but as fans we should be more than happy finishing in third place. It will give us an excellent platform to launch our assault on the world's most important league trophy next season.
Hope we never play to lose or draw

Gannicus

Hope we never play to lose or draw
There might be legitimate occasions to play for the draw, or at least not to risk a defeat. A European group stage match when you've secured first place or perhaps even a league cup match.

But I agree with you...every league match must be played with the intent to win the match.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

NessunDorma

The article completely ignores the fact we've had so many players missing.

If it was our best XI scraping by during that run I wouldn't be very optimistic but we have so many players to come back I expect huge performance improvements.
The wins over Arsenal, and to a lesser extent Liverpool, have given me great belief that we can be a force in the league again. In fact, that we're a force now. With players returning from injury, and the squad getting ever more familiar and comfortable with Van Gaal's ways, I see no reason why we can't continue to improve. The results are now there - we've picked up 3 more points than Chelsea over the last six games for example, and that run has included away trips to Arsenal and Southampton, and a home game against Liverpool. The performances will surely follow (not that they've been too bad over the last 8 weeks so so).

And any rival club supporter who says they don't see us as a threat is either lying or foolish. I certainly wouldn't relish the prospect of taking us on. We have forward players who can hurt any other team in the league - Rooney, Van Persie, Di Maria, Mata, Falcao, arguably the best attacking roster in England - and our defensive record isn't actually that bad. 4th best in the league on goals conceded, and once we get a settled back four it should improve.

I think 3rd is a realistic aspiration for this season - maybe even second if we're very good - and we should be thinking about a genuine title challenge next season.

Last edited:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
not just thinking about a title challenge next season...we will be 1 or 2 for sure. I have no doubt we will buy players in a big way in the summer. Expect reinforcements in Jan too.

For the second half of the season, we will be putting another run together soon...especially with key players returning from injury.