We aren't great, but let's not pretend....

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The reason for mentioning preseason was those nonsens post about last year. What happened last year has nothing to do this year. Stop taking out sentences out of its meaning.

No need for that. Everyone has right to their opinion.
Nah fam, not having it. You made a stupid point regardless. What happened last year plays a clear role to how are playing now. We haven't magically transformed into a different team.

Strelok

Yes but we should be beating teams like Palace and Wolves. And we were lucky to win against Chelsea too as they hit the bar twice and David pulled off a massive save too. When we need luck to beat teams like Palace and Wolves is when we have to start worrying. Also how can a two man midfield that consists of Scott McTominay and Pogba play against a 5 man midfield that has better players than McTominay?
Regarding luck issue, I'd say we had really bad luck last two games so actually we didn't need any luck to win these game, just not bad luck was enough.
Anyway, we really need a couple of good midfielders in Jan, at least one. If that can't be addressed then I'd be worry, not the now.

90 + 5min

Nah fam, not having it. You made a stupid point regardless. What happened last year plays a clear role to how are playing now. We haven't magically transformed into a different team.
What is stupid about that? You can't judge or see how we gonna do this year by looking at last year. Then Klopp and even Guardiola would not be at Liverpool/ManCity if you look at their first seasons. You got to give time to managers. Wait 10-15 games before you judge. Or even more.

Do we see progress with Solskjaer? Yes we do. We are playing that football that everyone wanted when Mourinho/Gaal were in charge. Fast and more attacking. Yes, we are lacking some quality but we are progressing. It is shame that people don't see that. Nothing can be fixed overnight. We are young team and we are going to see results like rollercoaster until we find the right balance. We have to have patience.

I believe that lot of anger, negativity and calling for sacking is down to Liverpool/City doing extremely well. And we knew before season that we can't compete with them this year. That would be miracle.

kouroux

What is stupid about that? You can't judge or see how we gonna do this year by looking at last year. Then Klopp and even Guardiola would not be at Liverpool/ManCity if you look at their first seasons. You got to give time to managers. Wait 10-15 games before you judge. Or even more.

Do we see progress with Solskjaer? Yes we do. We are playing that football that everyone wanted when Mourinho/Gaal were in charge. Fast and more attacking. Yes, we are lacking some quality but we are progressing. It is shame that people don't see that. Nothing can be fixed overnight. We are young team and we are going to see results like rollercoaster until we find the right balance. We have to have patience.

I believe that lot of anger, negativity and calling for sacking is down to Liverpool/City doing extremely well. And we knew before season that we can't compete with them this year. That would be miracle.
The stupid part is thinking the end of last season and the start of this one are 2 unrelated events. Naive and stupid to think so

romufc

We are not going to finish 6th if we cannot beat Palace at home.

We can all say ohh if we scored the penalty, but this is utter crap. We should be creating 4/5 clear cut chances in games like these instead of relying on penalties.

Bottom line is we are not good enough, never have been. The annoying thing is, I think we have very good players. Unfortunately, we havent got the management to get even 70% of these players.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The stupid part is thinking the end of last season and the start of this one are 2 unrelated events. Naive and stupid to think so
Especially when our performance against Crystal Palace was basically identical to the results in that run in.

AshRK

We are not going to finish 6th if we cannot beat Palace at home.

We can all say ohh if we scored the penalty, but this is utter crap. We should be creating 4/5 clear cut chances in games like these instead of relying on penalties.

Bottom line is we are not good enough, never have been. The annoying thing is, I think we have very good players. Unfortunately, we havent got the management to get even 70% of these players.
Weren't you defending Ole last week and now you have a made a sudden U-turn.

romufc

Weren't you defending Ole last week and now you have a made a sudden U-turn.
I am not targeting Ole in particular, he needs support. I still think the way he is trying to play football is the right way and I was impressed over pre season.

I don't think he is the right man for the job, but I will defend him because he is here trying to change things from the way this club was run.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Performance is not the same.
I don't see much difference.

We look the better team whilst creating very little
Opposition scores a goal through a terrible defensive feck up
We struggle to get back into the game cause our confidence looks shot and the team hasn't a clue how to break them down

Sound about right?

AshRK

I am not targeting Ole in particular, he needs support. I still think the way he is trying to play football is the right way and I was impressed over pre season.

I don't think he is the right man for the job, but I will defend him because he is here trying to change things from the way this club was run.
But you did target Ole when you said "we haven't go the management to get even 70% of these players". For starters I don't know which players you are referring and honestly football wise our performance against Palace was same as in the pre-season. On any other day we would have beaten Palace and also Wolves. Just found it odd you are suddenly questioning Ole and saying he is not bringing the best out of players when last week you were targeting posters who wanted Ole to make some changes after the Wolves draw.

romufc

I don't see much difference.

We look the better team whilst creating very little
Opposition scores a goal through a terrible defensive feck up
We struggle to get back into the game cause our confidence looks shot and the team hasn't a clue how to break them down

Sound about right?
Sounds right but isn't what actually happened?

1. We looked better team - last season we didn't even do that
2. We created chances, Martial had like 3/4 - one should have been a penalty, other red card
3. We created set pieces where we can score - 3 from a decent range. Better teams score those.
4. Missed penalties in our games

romufc

But you did target Ole when you said "we haven't go the management to get even 70% of these players". For starters I don't know which players you are referring and honestly football wise our performance against Palace was same as in the pre-season. On any other day we would have beaten Palace and also Wolves. Just found it odd you are suddenly questioning Ole and saying he is not bringing the best out of players when last week you were targeting posters who wanted Ole to make some changes after the Wolves draw.
Yes, the likes of Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, De Gea need to up their game.

Look at what Ole has done to Martial, he looks a different player.

I targetted fans who were saying Dan James need to be dropped, well I was right to say no. We don't need to make changes to the starting 11 barring lingard

nainaisson

With any luck we'd have 9 points. People losing the rag over those games are just showing their agenda. Anyone else would actually wait until we deserve a bad result instead of jumping on the first bit of bad luck.
I'm convinced most of the people moaning are looking at their phones through most of the game and only look up when a goal is conceded.

The team hasn't played badly this season. If people want to see what a genuinely poor performance looks like, I encourage them to watch a game from LvG's last season, which were basically just 90 minutes of square passing in midfield, or the CL game against Young Boys at Old Trafford last season, in which we played like total strangers who had never trained together.

SteveW

I'm convinced most of the people moaning are looking at their phones through most of the game and only look up when a goal is conceded.

The team hasn't played badly this season. If people want to see what a genuinely poor performance looks like, I encourage them to watch a game from LvG's last season, which were basically just 90 minutes of square passing in midfield, or the CL game against Young Boys at Old Trafford last season, in which we played like total strangers who had never trained together.
Absolutely. We had 3 bad individual errors and 2 refereeing mistakes which were worth 4 goals and a sending off. Freakish. Blaming Ole for that makes little sense imo.

90 + 5min

They are unrelated and I will tell you why.

Change of players
New players has arrived. Some players are gone. If you bought 11 new players to start this season could you say that last year is same as this year in terms of players? New players means new player chemistry. Maybe for good, maybe for bad. We don't know after 2-3 weeks.

Change of tactical setup and change of football philosophy
Mourinho vs Solskjaer. I don't need to explain to you that there are different minds and have different look on how football should be played.

Preseason with the manager that started the league
Last year Solskjaer took over just before christmas/new year. What it meant was taking over team that had performed badly during season. But the most important issue was taking over a team that had a stormy preseason with another manager that was building his team to play his way. Not Solskjaers way.

Changes and progress takes time. Patience is needed. And as I said, we are already looking different then last year. We are playing better. Lack of quality? Absolutely. But you can't change everything overnight. It takes time. See Guardiola. See Klopp. See Ferguson. Not that Solskjaer is going to be like them. Maybe. Maybe not. But he should be given time. And by time I don't mean 3 games. Give him 10-15 games or more and then evalute.

Alemar

But he should be given time. And by time I don't mean 3 games. Give him 10-15 games or more and then evalute.
If he stops playing Lingard, Young and doesn't start playing Matic, fine - I would fully support giving him time. But only under condition of him not playing notorious shite players (because playing notorious shite is not peculiar of a great manager in the making, much rather the opposite - it's a sign of managerial inability).

kouroux

They are unrelated and I will tell you why.

Change of players
New players has arrived. Some players are gone. If you bought 11 new players to start this season could you say that last year is same as this year in terms of players? New players means new player chemistry. Maybe for good, maybe for bad. We don't know after 2-3 weeks.

Change of tactical setup and change of football philosophy
Mourinho vs Solskjaer. I don't need to explain to you that there are different minds and have different look on how football should be played.

Preseason with the manager that started the league
Last year Solskjaer took over just before christmas/new year. What it meant was taking over team that had performed badly during season. But the most important issue was taking over a team that had a stormy preseason with another manager that was building his team to play his way. Not Solskjaers way.

Changes and progress takes time. Patience is needed. And as I said, we are already looking different then last year. We are playing better. Lack of quality? Absolutely. But you can't change everything overnight. It takes time. See Guardiola. See Klopp. See Ferguson. Not that Solskjaer is going to be like them. Maybe. Maybe not. But he should be given time. And by time I don't mean 3 games. Give him 10-15 games or more and then evalute.
You talk about patience and giving him time, I never said the opposite, in fact it's you who needs patience in order to say there is a complete disconnection between the 2 periods.
We lost to Palace like last season, didn't beat Wolves like last season, beat Chelsea like last season.
I

Vaibhav Raj

This team has players with abundance of pace and some are skilled too but there is absolute zero footballing IQ to complement the aforementioned traits whatsoever. For some, it looks like it's because they're too young whilst for others it feels like they'll probably always be a showman with little to no brain work behind their game. It's frustrating to watch these players, watch their explosive runs end in stray or over hit passes, watch them struggle to play in and around opposition's penalty area, watch them bereft of ideas as soon as the opposition camps in their own half and takes out the only thing this Manchester United team has going for it - the pace. We see no game plan because none can be executed to any decent level of impact by this group except if course run fast and try when there's lot of space in front of you. There is incoherence in the general play because, well, everyone is just playing their own game, trying their best to get the ball into the net somehow. They do succeed at times.

For team-play, a team needs a handful of clever players. A team can have all the pace, hard work, fighting spirit in the world but these traits only take you so far in the game of football, especially if they have to keep going for a whole season. Unless we buy one or two smarter players, players with guile and craft, I am afraid not much will change. This team will continue to excite in some games and frustrate in many others.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

This team has players with abundance of pace and some are skilled too but there is absolute zero footballing IQ to complement the aforementioned traits whatsoever. For some, it looks like it's because they're too young whilst for others it feels like they'll probably always be a showman with little to no brain work behind their game. It's frustrating to watch these players, watch their explosive runs end in stray or over hit passes, watch them struggle to play in and around opposition's penalty area, watch them bereft of ideas as soon as the opposition camps in their own half and takes out the only thing this Manchester United team has going for it - the pace.

A team can have all the pace, hard work, fighting spirit in the world but these traits only take you so far in the game of football, especially if they have to keep going for a whole season. Unless we buy one or two smarter players, players with guile and craft, I am afraid not much will change. This team will continue to excite in some games and frustrate in many others.
Yep, and this has been the case for years. There's some youngsters that are promising in this regard but of our senior midfielders and attackers probably only Mata is good enough but he lacks the physical requirements.

jesperjaap

Why does everyone insist on judging Ole's record from such a bad perspective, you can pick a starting point anywhere...

For instance from Ole's first game (just premiership games) seems fairer you've won 12 from 20 - that would have put you 5th after 20 games last season three points behind Chelsea in 4th and 7 points behind City.

Or go from the beginning of this season ... you're above Spurs and Chelsea, you've already beaten a top 6 rival and played at one of the more difficult away grounds in the league. You're 5th and 1 point off 4th.

Or why not pick the last 9? There's only one win there.

If you randomly pick points to start your good or bad run you can prove anything. Do it season by season, it's the only true way to see how the team is doing, in other words wait till Christmas before writing anyone off.

Also if you want to count the last 16 games properly (not including preseason) it's 5 wins, not great, but again better than everyone wants to believe.

1. MU 1 - CP 2 ------------- L
  2. Wolves 1 - MU 1 -------- D
  3. MU 4 - Chelsea 0 ------- W
  4. MU 0 - Cardiff 2 --------- L
  5. Huddersfield 1 - MU 1 --- D
  6. MU 1 - Chelsea 1 -------- D
  7. MU 0 - City 2 ------------- L
  8. Everton 4 - MU 0 -------- L
  9. Barca 3 - MU 0 ----------- L
  10. MU 2 - WH 1 ------------- W
  11. MU 0 - Barca 1 ----------- L
  12. MU 2 - Watford 1 --------- W
  13. Wolves 2 - MU 1 ---------- L
  14. Arse - 2 - MU 0 ----------- L
  15. PSG 1 - MU 3 ------------- W
  16. MU 3 - Soton 2 ----------- W
Well a lot of us are picking from when he became permanent manager but just look at your spoiler, better than anyone wants to believe? Its an appalling record, what are you trying to spin here? 16 games, 5 victories, only one of which is comprehensive and we could have been 3-0 down in, one other notable win in the honeymoon period when in reality we got battered by PSG, the result masked that.

I still think with the defensive additions there is a chance we will be in the fight for 4th, same token, we could quite easily implode. Whether or not you blame the manager or other forces, the work we have done in the transfer market this summer has been nowhere near good enough numbers wise when you look at how poor our first team is