We failed to beat Sevilla, RB Leipzig and Villareal

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Apologies if this thread is deemed unnecessary but it just dawned on me. We've had three must win games in Europe in the last year against these tier 2/3 European teams and failed to win any.

We were the favourites for in both EL ties and while RBL might have been favourites for the UCL game, no one expected we'd be as pathetic as we were on that night.

I guess the bigger picture is that this team is awful at producing results under pressure in cup settings. Whether its the manager or players faulth (or both) can ve discussed in other thrrads but I've come to the realisation this team will not be winning trophies anytime soon.

NYAS

Why doesn’t Roma count? You know, the game we went behind in, at home? No pressure?

Amir

I guess the bigger picture is that this team is awful at producing results under pressure in cup settings.
What about the results in the matches that got us to those stages?

I'd say our biggest problems are connected to our football. And while we get away with them a lot, it"s inevitable that there'll come a time we don't.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wish people would stop treating this place as a personal blog. Not every fecking thought deserves a new thread.

El Jefe

Why doesn’t Roma count? You know, the game we went behind in, at home? No pressure?
It was a two legged tie. Pressure is much less than a one off game. We won our home game quiet comfortably so at no point were we under pressure or in a must win scenario like the three games I referenced in the OP.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We beat Roma and Milan (after they had already achieved a score draw at OT).
It doesn’t have much to do with pressure. We are just not good enough (yet).
The good thing is that we are good enough to reach semis of many competitions while at the same time still doing OK in the league (like not throwing the league away while focusing on the cups).
The bad thing is that we are not good enough to get over the line most of the times when it matters most.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I said this when we surrendered top spot to city earlier this year. It’s almost like when we’re underdogs - like when we were drawn in a CL group with PSG and Leipzig, or when playing at the Etihad - we’re able to play with confidence and get the win. No-one gave us a chance in that CL group, and no-one gave us a chance at toppling City and Liverpool last August. Yet we suddenly found ourselves top of the group after 2 games with convincing wins against PSG and Leipzig, then top of the league after half the season.

Then when we’re up there we get a nosebleed and can’t cope with the pressure of being favourites. It’s almost like just climbing to the top is enough, we can’t seem to stay there. It’s as if we don’t really believe we deserve to be there. We seem to like being the underdog, and so when the high-pressure games like the second tie against Leipzig or the EL semi against Sevilla, or last Wednesday come around we crumble. The same thing happened in the league. As soon as we realise we might be serious contenders, we Spurs it up.

It’s a huge mental block at this point, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our record in semis and finals has been so poor. We can’t hack it, and like Klopp when he took over at Liverpool and lost umpteen finals in a row, it’s going to take some work to get over this hump.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Sheffield United.
Relegated by a mile.

Are form this year was awful.
Not good enough.

Some people see this season as progress. Not me. We're in no better shape than this time last year.

AshRK

It was a two legged tie. Pressure is much less than a one off game. We won our home game quiet comfortably so at no point were we under pressure or in a must win scenario like the three games I referenced in the OP.
What about Leicester last year. A must win game and we won. Or what about other important games which meant we could be in these semis or finals.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole is a man management manager. His job is to manage a man by his management skills of man.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
By some of these threads your think we were winning the UCL every season in Fergies prime during the 90s and 00s. Sh*t happens, we should be happy that we are atleast reaching the latter stages of European competitions. Even Bayern technically couldn't beat Sevilla over 90 minutes.

We aren't amongst the best in Europe but who expected that at the start of the season. Atleast we're in that second tier of teams and on the way up.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Sheffield United.
Relegated by a mile.

Are form this year was awful.
Not good enough.

Some people see this season as progress. Not me. We're in no better shape than this time last year.
I totally agree mate. However, most on here will be citing progress next year too when we finish the season with three more points than this season but with no trophies. Standards have been lowered so far that merely finishing top four is seen as success. Sad times :(

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
By some of these threads your think we were winning the UCL every season in Fergies prime during the 90s and 00s. Sh*t happens, we should be happy that we are atleast reaching the latter stages of European competitions. Even Bayern technically couldn't beat Sevilla over 90 minutes.

We aren't amongst the best in Europe but who expected that at the start of the season. Atleast we're in that second tier of teams and on the way up.
Ferguson was working on a shoestring budget but was still able to have us dominate the Premier League. Give him Ole and Mourinho's annual transfer budget and he would definitely have won more CL’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.