We lost a game, stop over analysing everything

Jinn

3 months ago we would have been salivating at that performance.
We have come a long way in a short while. This bodes well for the future.

Loony BoB

Wut! I hope you are just being sarcastic here. There have been games in the past and there will be games in the future where we'll fail to get a W despite being by far the better team. It's not some computer simulation run a 1000 times where the result would be in sync with the actual result. OP is 100% right here. We dont need to start overanalysing the tactics, the mentality and stuff that doesn't even exist
I should have put in white text but happy to see someone took the bait. ;) Definitely sarcastic/ironic.

TRUERED89

Football, Bloody hell.. We played far better than the two previous 3-1 wins at Emirates but lost this time. De Gea having a rare brain-fart moment, and a very soft penalty ruined the game. On another day that would have been another win on the list, Lukaku was a nuisance to Arsenal all game but didn't have his finishing boots on. Our best player on the day.We had real chances unlike them, very unlucky.

We move on, top 4 is still very much attainable. I quite liked the formation switch and all out attack plan after going 2-0 down, it was 4-2-4 with Matic getting subbed for Greenwood, so we had Martial, Rashford, Lukaku & Greenwood all upfront, unlucky not to atleast get a consolation. I still very much believe in OGS, I can see his vision and what he wants to implement unlike the previous 3 managers, so it isn't the end of the world, we will bounce back.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is literally the first game that we were the unlucky ones. Thats the entire story here.

This is a non event. It sucks, but we're going to lose matches even if Sir Alex were to come out of retirement and whip everyone with Beckhams boot.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We occasionally get one of those games with the gunners -- 2005 FA Cup final. Men v boys. Outplayed them and yet lost.
Biggest travesty ever in football history imo.

Castia

On another day we score 3 goals yesterday, we played bad but still created chances. We’ll bounce back.

Bwuk

Agreed - no point over analysing. It was just one of those days.

Member 113277

Agree with the OP

We didn't play that bad yesterday and conceded a freak goal that changed the game and later a soft penalty.

All teams have days like yesterday.

We got the rub of the green against PSG and Arsenal got it yesterday.
And we hit the woodwork, twice. I thought the Arsenal penalty was on a par with theone we got in Paris, neither should have been given IMO, but we benefited from one and were hit by the other.

It was a reasonably even match and Arsenal were flattered to take it 2-0, though I thought both teams played pretty well in difficult windy conditions.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
And we hit the woodwork, twice. I thought the Arsenal penalty was on a par with theone we got in Paris, neither should have been given IMO, but we benefited from one and were hit by the other.

It was a reasonably even match and Arsenal were flattered to take it 2-0, though I thought both teams played pretty well in difficult windy conditions.
The PSG one was explained by UEFA as to why it stood.

Yesterday's penalty was just unlucky for us, we should have destroyed Arsenal nontheless.

Greck

Standards have risen. When i lurked the meltdowns when we lost under SAF was worse often followed by those "have some perspective" threads. Heck this is even one of them. Good times must be returning

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This. We lost, it happens, move on to the next one.

midnightmare

Telling that a very balanced and realistic thread barely gets any posts, but the ones lamenting our performance and asking for Rashford and Pogba to be sold and DdG to be hanged are probably growing rapidly. First, people said Jose was "our best hope" of getting Top 4; then people blasted Ole's appointment as "lacking ambition"; then people lamented our "trailing in xG"; now people lament our first loss in 13 league games! In between all this, we've made up 11 points on the Top 4 race, beaten Arsenal and Chelsea to make the QFs for the FA Cup, beaten PSG to make the QFs of the CL and are truly in the thick of things for Top 3.

People seem to miss the wood for the trees. We made up the gap not only because of our run, but also because all the others have weaknesses and have dropped "silly" points all over the place. This won't change. Just like our style under Ole won't change and we'll continue to get results. Does nobody see how good Arsenal's home record has been and - conversely - how poor they are away? That's not changed last night. Nor has the fact that Chelsea are crazily inconsistent and that Spurs are falling apart with exhaustion.

AgentSquirrel

@mods please delete every post/thread that's been made in last 24 hours + the entire player performances forum and just keep this opening post.
I feel like a 24 hour post match ban on posts containing variations of the word 'tactics', would solve most problems too.

Reynoldo

Great thread.

People are over reactionary these days, its just a sign of the times unfortunately. Social media has conditioned us to have to like/dislike everything that we see and put forward our opinion on everything and as a result it can lead to people reaching and trying to find answers to questions that don't need to be asked especially when it comes to something as random as sports where there are so many variables and luck plays a big part.

We had an bad day at the office, it happens! CL hangover (understandably), started too slowly, tried to recover but in the end just didn't get the rub of the green in this one. As others have said we had many days like this before even during the treble season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yup. Not even like we lost to some small side. We lost to a top 6 team away from home where they have one of the best home records in the league. Literally any time you go away to a big 6 team and get any sort of result (win or draw), you have to be pretty happy. People need to relax. Ole's form since taking us over would have us finishing on 93/94 points (in other words, a United record). So yeah. Obviously we will drop points here and there. We arent a complete side, we dont have that much depth so we shouldnt expect a title challenge or that sort of form.

Member 113277

The PSG one was explained by UEFA as to why it stood.

Yesterday's penalty was just unlucky for us, we should have destroyed Arsenal nontheless.
I saw the explanation for the penalty in Paris and IMO it was as solid a penalty (or not) as yesterday, when there was some contact from our player on theirs. As the FA has not explained the decision, I'll trust my eyes to compare them.

Both were soft IMO. You win some. you lose some.

We don't want to become one eyed, like the dippers....

Reactions: 711

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I just never grasp why people do this. In our absolute best season ever never to be matched we lost 3-2 at home to boro, got thumped 3-0 by arsenal (twice in Cs) and has the mother of all howlers away at Sheffield Wednesday. We had some gritty boring wins and took 2 Cup ties to replays after 0-0 draws and got past a lower league Fulham with an ugly Andy Cole deflected goal.

Every team loses. Every team has bad games. Take a breathe and move on.
This! People should watch back the old DVD season reviews. I have the 02/03 Van Nistelrooy one and we had some utter dross performances and howlers.

deadrevelz

We've been on such a good run, the negativity has built up without a suitable outlet. We have one bad game and it all comes flooding out. This is a product of the previous regime. Our bile glands are still working overtime.

Josh 76

Fans will always be critical after a defeat. It's human nature. We have all done it.
Even when Ronaldo missed that penalty in the CL final against Chelsea, I was swearing at him. Even the greats get criticised.

But when the dust settles, you are right about over reacting. Maybe close RED CAFE for 24 hours after we lose. That could be the answer.

buckooo1978

we reacted well to the PSG defeat- this and the break over the next 3 weeks might prove to be the catalyst for a strong finish

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We've been on such a good run, the negativity has built up without a suitable outlet. We have one bad game and it all comes flooding out. This is a product of the previous regime. Our bile glands are still working overtime.
That's a good way of putting it :lol:

Bola

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

It's to be expected, especially after what happened midweek.

It's not the end of the world.

If doesn't deserve 20 threads analysing everything and it doesn't need individual player threads being blamed. We lost. Yes it sucks, but we move on and yes players have bad days but we move on. Onwards and upwards not backwards and downwards.
I agree

Fair enough it was an awful performance, but that was a tight game with a few key incidents that could have changed the result in multiple ways. There were things to be improved on of course, but nothing for fans to be worried about, particularly as OGS hasn't had a pre-season to put his initiatives in place

AaronRedDevil

No! Lukaku is useless, he hasn't scored this season at all, Fred did nothing in the last 2 games he played. De Gea is crap. Pogba is not good enough yet, Rashford just isn't a good player, lingard is just a dancer. Am I doing it right?

TRUERED89

No! Lukaku is useless, he hasn't scored this season at all, Fred did nothing in the last 2 games he played. De Gea is crap. Pogba is not good enough yet, Rashford just isn't a good player, lingard is just a dancer. Am I doing it right?
Yes perfect, just missing "OGS out" from your post and you're almost there :lol:

jem

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

If doesn't deserve 20 threads analysing everything and it doesn't need individual player threads being blamed. We lost. Yes it sucks, but we move on and yes players have bad days but we move on. Onwards and upwards not backwards and downwards.
I used to hate threads asking fans to get over it, move on, etc, but in this case, you're absolutely right. We are a different team since OGS took over, and United has, suddenly in the space of months, become a team to get excited about. The fact that I actually felt gutted after a loss, rather than the bored indifference I felt towards the end of Mourinho's reign is testament to that.

All of these 'I hope Ole learns from this' and 'Rashford still isn't good enough' threads are mind-boggling in light of what has happened over the last few months. We still need reinforcements in certain key areas, and a top-4 finish will still take some doing, but did anybody even entertain that notion in mid-December?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I'm not even mad, I was expecting them to get a result. Still buzzing over the PSG result.

These things happens, we had to lose eventually. SAF lost games, it's how we respond at Wolves that's important. OGS has this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not even mad, I was expecting them to get a result. Still buzzing over the PSG result.

These things happens, we had to lose eventually. SAF lost games, it's how we respond at Wolves that's important. OGS has this.
Remember the last time we lost 2-0? We went to Chelsea and most said we'd lose.

Cloud7

Agreed. We lost a game. It happens.

The fact that it’s been so long since we’ve lost a game that one loss brings out this kind of response is in itself testament to how far we’ve come since Ole has come in.

In our previous regimes a loss was never far away, so much so that the only real response to them was a growing feeling of apathy. We’re on the right track when a loss away to one of the top 6 is seen as a disaster, I would say. Take the good with the bad, chin up and move on.

Grande

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

Is this a new thread for analyzing the game, or is it to analyze ourselves? Analyze THAT!

AshRK

This makes me happy. We were good yesterday, were just not clinical.

OleTheGreat

It was not an off day. I think the players did pretty well. The first goal came when Xhaka was left a little free (he should've been closed down by the midfielders or Lindelof) and the second one came to the most idiotic calls in the history of the game. We had 5 clear-cut chances to get the ball over the line. I think we don't deserve this loss and hence feel our chances of top 4 is pretty good. Everything evens out by the end of the season and i think Arsenal will have a slip. We'll go all the way from here to get 3rd place.

Denis79

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

No! Reading the forum after the loss we've finally figured out our problems. Rashford should be benched for Greenwood, Lindelof is too young, De Gea isn't really good at all and should only play if his wages are under 300k, Fred will never become good (the evidence of that is overwhelming), Pogba needs a hard look at himself and Ole is clueless when it comes to tactics and subs.

Now we know how to move forward.

Greck

Agreed. We lost a game. It happens.

The fact that it’s been so long since we’ve lost a game that one loss brings out this kind of response is in itself testament to how far we’ve come since Ole has come in.

In our previous regimes a loss was never far away, so much so that the only real response to them was a growing feeling of apathy. We’re on the right track when a loss away to one of the top 6 is seen as a disaster, I would say. Take the good with the bad, chin up and move on.
Hard to believe it's the same season some fans were celebrating losing 3-0 to Tottenham at Old Trafford

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

This makes me happy. We were good yesterday, were just not clinical.
100% agreed! This is one of THE VERY BEST build ups I've ever seen! Wonderful football. We lost the game, sure but some of our play was night and day to the sh*t we were dragging out only a few months ago! Brilliant.

Drz

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

For some reason I saw this reversal coming after the midweek result.
We lacked some focus. And I blame the Caf. No Pre-match thread no dice.

Gator Nate

The biggest disappointment of this game was in its context - the Tottenham loss, the Chelsea draw, and this being a loss to Arsenal. The game itself was disappointing in the result, perhaps in some execution, but we just seemed to hit the low point of luck's bell curve every time luck was a factor.

But, I always felt we were in it, up until maybe about the last 10 minutes. Even in a loss, we played well. And if we keep playing like that, especially against the mid- and bottom-table teams, I have no doubt we'll finish in 3rd or 4th, and the FA cup looks pretty good. The CL is a crap-shoot right now - waiting for this week's results and the QF draw - but it's still exciting to think about. 2 1/2 more months of this will be a lot of fun, I think.