We may see PL/La Liga matches in the U.S. now

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

The full settlement statement:

Basically, because FIFA will settle this out of the court with Relevent, they can now no longer enforce their statutes that prevents leagues from playing their matches outside of their designated territories. Don't be surprised to see competitive Premier League, La Liga, and Serie A matches in the U.S. and/or Saudi Arabia.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
La Liga will be the first to do it, because they are just a desperate whore for attention. Already playing their super cup in Saudi Arabia. They’ll see it as a way of trying to catch up to the PL in terms of appeal in the US market. But it’ll barely make a dent in the PL’s popularity in the USA. For a start La Liga needs to get a proper TV deal here with good coverage.

NBC are all in on the PL and its popularity is soaring. I doubt we’ll see any PL games outside of England any time soon. What some of these money men don’t get, is that it cheapens the brand. I’d be surprised if the PL fell for that gimmick. Tebas will be on it like a $5 hooker though.

If the PL does somehow succumb to this travesty of an idea, you just know the first game will be City vs Spurs.

Adz_99

It's weird to me that you can have a brand that is so immensely popular and then start tampering with it in such an intrusive way. You could never have a PL game played abroad without it severely damaging the integrity of the competition.

I think an FA cup game abroad is possible and the new CL format seems tailor made for overseas games. I'm not saying I want it to happen but hosting an FA Cup semi final or CL group game (under the new format) in the US feels less intrusive.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Another tick in the box for reasons I may stop watching football in future.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's weird to me that you can have a brand that is so immensely popular and then start tampering with it in such an intrusive way.
Capitalism is a soulless machine that does not care about anything but economic growth. Quality, integrity, creativity, innovation, the environment or what's good for the people etc does not matter. It never has and it never will.

Rodgerzzz

Won't be long now until we have a football match at Wrestlemania
The Rock or Roman Reigns' music hitting straight after our newly acquired no.9 Cody Rhodes smashes one home to take the lead against Liverpool with 5 minutes to play would be pretty epic to be fair.

Michael Cole & Ally McCoist on Comms with Snoop Dogg as a special guest commentator. John Cena getting subbed on & subsequently sent off for putting Andy Robertson through a table. I can't see anything wrong with this.

Spark

Septic owners like Boehly would probably love to. Can see literal riots if it’s suggested though.

Dannn411

England won't do it. Germany likely won't do it either. The fans and their governments won't allow it. The other big 5 leagues will.

youngrell

What benefits are there for a PL club? There won't be enough extra revenue to make it worthwhile dragging your players across the globe and disrupting their season and/or adding to exhaustion, surely? Not to mention giving up home advantage for a fixture. Clubs make the extra money going there in pre-season and that's bad enough.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You could see League Cup matches being played abroad. I think Premier League and FA Cup matches are politically impossible

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
You could see League Cup matches being played abroad. I think Premier League and FA Cup matches are politically impossible
Even that should never happen.

Moving any domestic game abroad would be another final nail in the coffin for football in this country.

I'd hope any public proposal would be met with the same level of protest that the Super League was met with.

tomaldinho1

What benefits are there for a PL club? There won't be enough extra revenue to make it worthwhile dragging your players across the globe and disrupting their season and/or adding to exhaustion, surely? Not to mention giving up home advantage for a fixture. Clubs make the extra money going there in pre-season and that's bad enough.
Huge amounts of dollar dollar bills. You can almost forecast where this is going already if the league can't block it/clubs don't flat out refuse (unlikely because their owners probably love the idea). We'll end up with, at minimum, a period, maybe they'll coincide it with whenever AFCON is on where the PL goes "on tour" and we'll get these awful titles like Rumble in Riyad and Battle in Beijing etc. I wrote that as slightly tongue in cheek but sadly I think it's probably where the game is headed. You add a lot of value to potential sponsorship deals and no doubt there are thousands of ways to monetize potential new fanbases.

I'd imagine the PL can then auction fixtures so you'll have a lot of country's wanting the household names but also more specific ones like Spurs/South Korea or Leicester/Thailand (assuming they come back up), Brighton/Japan etc.

re home advantage get ready for people saying things like 'Chelsea's second home is the Dignity Health Sports Park' but their legacy home is Stamford Bridge.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The Rock or Roman Reigns' music hitting straight after our newly acquired no.9 Cody Rhodes smashes one home to take the lead against Liverpool with 5 minutes to play would be pretty epic to be fair.

Michael Cole & Ally McCoist on Comms with Snoop Dogg as a special guest commentator. John Cena getting subbed on & subsequently sent off for putting Andy Robertson through a table. I can't see anything wrong with this.
"oh my God, that's Martial's music! What's he doing here?!"

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Even that should never happen.

Moving any domestic game abroad would be another final nail in the coffin for football in this country.

I'd hope any public proposal would be met with the same level of protest that the Super League was met with.
To be fair, I don't exactly care about the League Cup.

It's been devalued for years by teams putting their youth teams forward.

Liverpool played half a youth team in the final even

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Surely this eventually lead to Man City and Newcastle to be able to play their home games in their home countries.

RedDevil@84

The PL pre-season friendly tickets go for 400 and 500$. Wonder how much an actual competitive game would cost.

Counterfactual

Vegas Presents... "A Premier League Weekend Extravaganza!"

Pre-Pre Show
Pre-Show
F1 "sprint race"
SHOWTIME! (LAZORS!)
1' Kick-off (Brent-ford vs Lewton"), sponsored by a weak beer!
2' Throw-in, sponsored by a different weak beer!
3' Time-out, sponsored by a canadian weak beer!
(repeat for first half)
Half-time... Beyonce time!!!
Spot-the celeb in the crowd game!
(second half... same as first half)
Post-game show!
F1 "race"
Wrap party (spot a drunk celeb)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Community shield is the obvious one.

The usual clubs are already abroad on their pre season trips (usually in USA) and feels like a hinderance to them coming back and playing it. And Wembley doesn't always sell out for it either.

Hope it doesn't happen though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Vegas Presents... "A Premier League Weekend Extravaganza!"

Pre-Pre Show
Pre-Show
F1 "sprint race"
SHOWTIME! (LAZORS!)
1' Kick-off (Brent-ford vs Lewton"), sponsored by a weak beer!
2' Throw-in, sponsored by a different weak beer!
3' Time-out, sponsored by a canadian weak beer!
(repeat for first half)
Half-time... Beyonce time!!!
Spot-the celeb in the crowd game!
(second half... same as first half)
Post-game show!
F1 "race"
Wrap party (spot a drunk celeb)
We're not this bad. 2 ad segments, tops

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
To be fair, I don't exactly care about the League Cup.

It's been devalued for years by teams putting their youth teams forward.

Liverpool played half a youth team in the final even
Doesn't matter.

It would be a slippery slope.

"It's only the League Cup"

"It's only the FA Cup"

"It's only one Premier League game. There's another 300+ played in England.

"It's only five Premier League games etc..."