We need a centre forward

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We've got the two best young CFs in the league!

This (or some similar variation) is the answer

-----------------------DDG------------------
Darmian----Smalling------Blind------Shaw
----------------------Carrick-----------------
------Herrera---------------------Pogba-----
-----------------------Mata-------------------
------------Rashford-------Martial-----------

Phil

Agreed. When people moan about Ibra not being subbed off, my only thought is for who?

Petr1

Short term-solution: Bench Zlatan for Rashford and tell Zlatan to step it up or stay on the bench. Problem solved.

Litch

We don't. Ibra is absolutely quality, just going through a lean patch. The difficulty is no one else is scoring which just makes it more obvious, and the pressure is building...

Marcelinho87

I think Zlatan just needs a goal and the floodgates will open.

Saying he is past it is ridiculous to me as his all round game has been fine.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
What is it the "pros" say? Missing the chances isn't a problem. The important thing is getting those chances. He's getting tons of them but having a lean patch. It happens, so expect a goal off his arse or something and you're back in business.

The guys still class at 35.

Godfather

I'm quite surprised many see in Rashford the solution to all of ths. Imo he is not up to the task Mourinho wants our CF to play. Zlatan actually holds the ball up very well. We also tend to play the ball long quite often. Rashford is not physical enough yet to make the CF role his imo. What about this Icardi guy we seem to be linked with?

shabz

A centre forward isn't even the real need these days IMO. All we need are players who can stick the ball in the back of the net, all the best teams don't rely on one person to score goals. The result yesterday was the teams problem not Zlatan's solely. There's guys like Walcott, Antonio, Carrasco, Griezmann, Mane, Firmino, Neymar, Rafinha, Callejon and Salah none of whom are CF's and have scored more than 5 goals for their teams this season. We need more composure in the box from all our players if we want to win matches we are dominating and get back up to where we want to be as a football club

Hed Zitin

At least give Rashford a chance before signing another player. The league is another points drop away from being a total bust, so we might as well grow a home grown player in that position anyway.

There were times yesterday where a quicker player like Rashford could of ran through on goal. Mata can play the through balls for him.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Could see Utd offering Rooney plus cash for Lukaku next summer. Zlatan to go to MLS.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I thought zlatan played generally quite well yesterday and had it not been for the heroics of Heaton, he could have notched at least two goals. you get some games where the opposition keeper becomes a possessed ball magnet...

davidmichael

Rashford through the middle with Mata or Mhkitarayan on the right and Martial on the left is definitely good enough, think what Rashford was doing to defenders last season with no league or European or international experience.

What's the point of having the likes of Herrera, Carrick, Pogba, Mata, Blind or anyone that's good on the ball and with great passing ability if you've not got people like Rashford and Martial in the team with explosive pace and that like to get in behind the defence or run at them in 1 on 1 situations.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
You already have two with Rashford and Martial. Just decided to waste resources on a 35 year old name that could have been used in midfield.

worldinmotion66

No we don't need a striker.
Front four of mkhi, mata, martial and rashford has pace, power,creativity and goals in it. I would've thought this is obvious.
Absolutely this. Just because we've had a somewhat faltering start to the season, does not mean we should instantly throw money at someone else. We have the players, but haven't been able to get them all going yet. Zlatan could've scored a hatful yesterday and Pogba has hit the woodwork three or four times this season already. Those fine margins have gone against us so far, but have a bit of patience.

The only major disappointment that I have, is Mourinho's reluctance to drop or substitute Ibrahimovic when it hasn't been working or when he needs a rest. I'd like to see him trust Rashford/Martial a bit more.

Denis79

Let's be honest. Rashford and Martial deserve a chance upfront before we even consider buying another forward. Let's see how they do with Mourinho's style of play.

Golden Nugget

We need a striker that's happy to come off the bench - like Hernandez was before. Rashford could have been it, but it's not happened since he's starting games... Martial hasn't appeared for a while and Fellaini is not a good plan b.

Surely there are some strikers that are looking to make the step up and won't mind doing this for United

Last edited:

Mal donaghy

We are crying out for a striker like lukaku , he is a beast and still only 23, we should be all over this guy in January. A big "mobile" goal scoring forward , would make all the difference.

Bwuk

I don't agree at all.

We have Zlatan, and if/when he doesn't perform, we have Rashford and Martial who are both strikers. Martial in particular has the potential to be world class imo. I'd far rather we got a wide player, and stopped shoe-horning Rashford and Martial wide.

DevilRed

Rooney for Lukaku. That would be ideal. Obviously we'd probably have to probably throw in another 38m and pay Rooney's wages:wenger:

ROFLUTION

Try Memphis more until January, to see if he could be the solution. We need solo-artists. Hazard and Costa are exactly the types we are missing right now. Memphis might come crap, but then we will know if he needs replacement in January/summer.

jojose

No we dont. Zlatan will come good.
This. He's missed a boat load of chances. That's it. He's not struggling physically, he's not a passenger. He's build up play has been very good and he's getting in positions whereby chances come his way. He's just not taking them at the moment. It happens. He'l turn the corner though and when he gets one he'll get a load.

The difference with Zlatan and say berbatov / forlan etc etc is Zlatan hasn't and wont go into his shell, he'll continue to get in positions.

He'l come good and so will we.

Jose seems to want to get Rashford in the #10 off Zlatan position. He mentioned it post match Liverpool and he played him there a short period on Sat. I'd love to see Martial in that position.

Murray3007

Think i would be going with a front 3 of Miki Rashford Martial, all 3 have pace, skill, link up play, can interchange. Zlatan will come good, as much as its annoying hes missing sitters it could be a lot worse, he could not be getting chances, if we were looking for a top ST who is really about at the moment ? cant see any one from Barca, Bayern, Madrid leaving any time soon.

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
no we dont need CF. we need a player with quick feet and box of tricks.
we should try to buy draxler in the transfer window
see hazard to chelsea
the three players at liverPOOR
sterling to shitty
bale to madrid
neymar/messi to barca
u know what we lack

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Martial is more then good enough right now and can become world class within a year or 2. No doubt in my mind. Rashford is good and has potential too but not on the same level and not ready right now to be first choice. Definitely not on the wing for him, but he's not ready to be starting every week up top either. Still plays like a kid and that's why an impact sub role is much better for him. I think a wide player is much more important at the moment, though on the right we should have Mkhitaryan, it's more the other wing. Get a left winger in, a proper winger who can provide consistent delivery, pace, trickery and be a threat out there. Not an inside forward so much, but a proper winger. That way Martial can be used up front all the time and not out wide since we have no other options. At the moment he's not being used at all, which I think/hope is just because he had a few injury problems and it's not Mourinho being stupid like he is with Mkhitaryan.

Fully Fledged

Zlatan is a passenger and as I just wrote on another thread he is a dishonest professional. cant wait to see him gone from the club. It really is time to give Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mickhitaryan and Mata a chance to forge a frontline combination on their own. Jose needs to get real, and soon
He's a 35 year old who is playing way too much football for someone his age. When he first came and was full of energy he was a beast.
The guy is trying to be our focal point in every game we play. It's too much for someone his age to be expected to do.
The fact that he is still trying shows how honest he is.

Treble

Zlatan is a passenger and as I just wrote on another thread he is a dishonest professional. cant wait to see him gone from the club. It really is time to give Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mickhitaryan and Mata a chance to forge a frontline combination on their own. Jose needs to get real, and soon
What do you mean?

I like the look of Mauro Icardi. He's good at running the channels between defenders and has that knack of getting himself in the right place at the right time.

Zlatan is a short term option and we can't rely on Rashford/Martial turning into world class 25+ goal strikers, and even if one of them does we still need someone else putting in 10-20 goals a season.

DJRED97

Zlatan is past it because he can't do the easiest part, but in terms of general play is still one of our best players creatively? Seems strange. Every striker everywhere goes through a barren run, missing 'easy' chances. I think he can go for another 2 or 3 years at United definitely. By that time either Rashford or Martial will have developed into a player you can build a team around up front. People suggesting we should buy another striker in their prime are essentially saying we should relegate Rashford to a sub role for the majority of his career in spite of how well he's done considering he's 18/19. Lukaku is massively overrated, not particularly clinical and his link-up is average at best.

Stick with Zlatan. Once one goes in, many more shall.

snk123

Ummm Martial anyone? Wasn't he called the next Thierry Henry just last year?

DJRED97

Ummm Martial anyone? Wasn't he called the next Thierry Henry just last year?
I think he's better off the left personally. His ability to beat a man is almost second to none in the league. Think he's a bit wasted with his back to goal tbh, although he is very clinical, with his head and foots.

snk123

I think he's better off the left personally. His ability to beat a man is almost second to none in the league. Think he's a bit wasted with his back to goal tbh, although he is very clinical, with his head and foots.
He may be better on the left because of his amazing close control, but he is a center forward and is arguably more clinical and better at holding the ball than Zlatan. So we don't need a center forward, we just need to use the players we already have in their proper positions.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think people have forgotten just how good martial can be as a CF to the point where most people just accept that he's a winger. It's always been the long term plan to turn him into our main striker and perhaps with zlatan struggling now is the first opportunity to get him back in that role.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Zlatan may or may not come good this season. Even if he does though, there's zero guarantee he'd be able to maintain that form again next season. Time is against him in a big way.

Rooney's time here seem to be nearly done. Martial has struggled recently and is probably better coming in off the left anyway. Rashford isn't even close to being ready.

So yeah, we probably do need a new striker.

Personally, I'd be very happy with Lukaku. Looks like he's going to score 20+ PL goals this year and was pretty damn good last year too.

http://www.football365.com/news/romelu-lukaku-the-ridiculous-statistics