We need to be less kind with contract renewals

GBBQ

Don't know what's more ludicrous.

Even offering the 1-2 games a season Fosu M such a long term deal, or him rejecting it!
He’d only be on about 15-20K a week. It’s probably just cheaper to have him as a last ditch back up option than to go out and buy one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He’d only be on about 15-20K a week. It’s probably just cheaper to have him as a last ditch back up option than to go out and buy one.
Surely there's kids coming through who can take his occasional bench spot and 1-2 games a season to better effect?

RedDevil@84

Don't get too excited. I am pretty sure Woodward is going with a renewed contract offer.

Relem

I think there's a sea change in the contract offerings after Rojo and Jones. But we'll see!

cyril C

Some of notable players weekly wages

Kane --- 200K
Deli Ali --- 100K
Eriksen --- 80K
B-Silva --- 120K

Sterling --- 180K
Mane --- 100K

How come clubs like Spurs,City,Pool manage to tie down contracts for top players on a such low weekly wages?

I think City really progressed in right direction by not offering Sanchez loads of cash and put a cap on salaries while negotiating the deals of current players.
You are using all sort of wrong example. 200K on Kane is low? Did Spur manage to tie down Eriksen? Ali is same level as our Lingard....

Mane is already causing trouble because even Ox is making 120K, and Wijnaldum demand double his wage.

Never think neighbour's pasture is greener.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't have a problem with activating the extra year on Lingard's contract, it's offering Fosu Mensah a three year contract I find baffling. He's done nothing to warrant that, he's at an age now where he needs to play regularly and will never get that here.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How on earth did Rojo manage to last 6.5 years here?! Unbelievable Jeff.

Judas

Open to offers
Rojo hasn't played a game for us since LVG left in my mind. The amount of players who have passed through or lingered at this club over the last 6 or so years making so little impact is dreadful.

Teja

I think most folks are speaking with the benefit of hindsight. At the time the contract was given, there were some eyebrows raised, but Rojo had a decent number of apps for us.

2016/17: 21 PL Games (ACL towards the end of the season ~Apr '17)
2017/18: 9 PL games. (Recovered ~Nov 17 but struggled to get back into the team)

March '18 was when the contract was given. He was a bit injury prone even then and did his ACL before the contract was given, so maybe that suggests that we shouldn't have given one out https://www.transfermarkt.us/marcos-rojo/verletzungen/spieler/93176

Use that data as you may, but giving out a contract in hope that such a player doesn't leave on a free is pretty reasonable in my view.

A good thought exercise is to imagine a 27yo player was playing for us now and started ~20 games last season but had a major injury layoff this season. Would you give out a new contract and hope he puts his injuries behind him? Or will you let him leave on a free at 28?

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If we can believe the reports, Rojo (crazy as it is that he's been at the club for so long) actually agreed to a salary drop when he signed his current contract (which was in 2018).

So, that's something - at least. Of course, he still earns far too much for any realistic suitor to match his salary.

Siorac

A good thought exercise is to imagine a 27yo player was playing for us now and started ~20 games last season but had a major injury layoff this season. Would you give out a new contract and hope he puts his injuries behind him? Or will you let him leave on a free at 28?
Depends on who that player is. Someone with the quality of Marcos Rojo I'd gladly let leave on a free and get his wages off the books.

Another thought exercise is to imagine how much we'd get for a mediocre 28-year-old after an ACL injury.