We need to be less kind with contract renewals

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If Mata gets a 1+ year contract then I assume we have no intention of signing a right-winger.
With Young doing the same for fullback position & Jones potentially for CB position I can't see us buying much more than maybe a backup striker & a midfielder or two. And that is if we manage to sell anyone.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, with Jones missing important game through ilness(you couldn't make this stuff up with Jones), and Valencia picking up another injury, who is next?

How long before we see Valencia signing a new contract?

izec

giving new contracts to the dross, whats the point? Mata is past it and only performs half of the time as the 10 if at all.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d put him alongside Herrera in the ‘not too fussed’ camp. Both 30 or thereabouts, and replaceable for less than they’re probably asking for.

Zlatattack

Hope he moves. Just being a nice guy is not enough. If it was we'd still have Evra at LB and Park running around the midfield.

deadrevelz

Please sign for one of the other options.
It's possible the contract was the 1 year extension we had already offered. I thought he was holding out for 2 years, which if we had offered he would have accepted. Think his Dad is just being positive.

I would rather let him go but knowing the club, we probably won't sign a decent replacement either way.

lysglimt

Scout
It is really funny that there are people who seriously Believe we should (in basically one transfer window)

Sell Sanchez, Darmian, Rojo and Lukaku
We should have let McTominay, Jones, Valencia and Young go on free transfer
We should not be fussed about losing Herrera

In addition to us actually selling Fellaini in january.

So in one transfer window - we should give or take replace 10 players when we have close to no youngsters who are ready to take the step up - as much as I believe in Garner and Greenwood - they are still not ready to be important members of the first-team.

This may come as I shock to some people here - but we actually need football players at a club. And even if the manager accepts that 10 players arent good enough he cant replace all at once - simply because there isnt enough Money to replace them with.

I ll be happy if we get 4 quality players in - needless to say, that doesn't add up with losing 10 players

Patrick08

:houllier: Whatever happens next year won't make a difference whether Mata is on the books still or not.
Just ensures we get a fee, but it's perfect example of how things are run at this club. He should have been sold by now already getting a good fee and replaced.

Onerealunited

Normally I would say it is good to let Mata leave in his age and form in recent years. However, we have many players going out this summer and it will be very difficult and expensive to fill one more spot in the team, especially when you think that it is a bench spot we’d try to fill. Let him stay and give him a 1+1 year contract, that automatically will be renewed if he fulfills some criteria (e.g. a specific number of games).

UpWithRivers

Mata is another player that has given his all to united. The longest part of his career. No complaints always with a smile on he face even though he is not first choice and even when he plays he is shoved to right wing which is not his position.
Id keep him and sell Lindgard because Lindgard should get a decent fee. 50 mill to Tottenham. Then sell Mata next year after hes signed for 15/20 mill to Napoli.

Fosu-Mens

Mata is another player that has given his all to united. The longest part of his career. No complaints always with a smile on he face even though he is not first choice and even when he plays he is shoved to right wing which is not his position.
Id keep him and sell Lindgard because Lindgard should get a decent fee. 50 mill to Tottenham. Then sell Mata next year after hes signed for 15/20 mill to Napoli.
No way Lingard will fetch £50m, and no way Levy is paying that.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
This.

Nothing wrong with keeping a player who gives his all and still contributes...has had good games recently and he is part of the reason we are still in the CL. If Jones and Smalling can get a new contract it would be an insult not to give Mata one. I would :)

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It is really funny that there are people who seriously Believe we should (in basically one transfer window)

So in one transfer window - we should give or take replace 10 players when we have close to no youngsters who are ready to take the step up - as much as I believe in Garner and Greenwood - they are still not ready to be important members of the first-team.

This may come as I shock to some people here - but we actually need football players at a club. And even if the manager accepts that 10 players arent good enough he cant replace all at once - simply because there isnt enough Money to replace them with.

I ll be happy if we get 4 quality players in - needless to say, that doesn't add up with losing 10 players
Exactly.

El Jefe

Can anybody tell me what they expect Mata to contribute to us next season? His influence on games is lower than its ever been and its quite clear he's the least favoured attacker in the team.

We are already weak in attack and have the likes of Lukaku and Lingard who constantly get berated. We also have Martial and Rashford who still have it all to prove although they've shown themselves to be good enough to be here.

Physically Mata is done especially as we aren't a possession team. We rely on quick transitions and counters. Surely we need a couple more attackers to suit this style. There's no point in complaining about our attack year on year if we're going to rely on the same players.

SAFMUTD

I don’t know who manages the contract renewals but he must be the dumbest fella in all the top leagues, seriously I don’t know how can he do a worst job.

Letting Herrera’s contract expire, not saying we should renew him right now but we should have renewed him 1-2 years ago. Not selling Darmian just to let him rot on the bench and then leave on a free 1 year later. Renewing Rojo and Jones on long contracts when they are clearly not good enough and always injured.

Now talking about renewing Mata, who is a medium quality sub at best.

While on other teams there’s people like Levy who is a kick in the nuts but always seems to retain his players and ship out the bad ones while maintaining a low wage structure, and have a better starting XI than us.

Seriously I think a 12 year old kid is managing this, we have only managed to keep our best players by throwing a bunch of money (De Gea, Martial) and we will see this again with Rashford as well.

Pughnichi

Be interesting to see how many games Darmian, Valencia and Rojo have accumulated between them. It can’t be too many so losing them wouldn’t be an issue. Herrera and Sanchez can be replaced. I can’t see McT, Lukaku and Young going though that’s be too much

lysglimt

Scout
Be interesting to see how many games Darmian, Valencia and Rojo have accumulated between them. It can’t be too many so losing them wouldn’t be an issue. Herrera and Sanchez can be replaced. I can’t see McT, Lukaku and Young going though that’s be too much
Exactly - and Darmian, Valencia, Rojo going fine (Fellaini already gone)...and maybe 1 or 2 more...but when people add McTominay, Jones, Mata, Herrera, Sanchez, Lukaku…we can't lose 10 players in one window.

Losing Herrera and Mata isolated speaking is not a disaster - they can be replaced. But in our current situation when we have 5-6 players we should get out the door first, we can't afford to replace both these players as well.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Can anybody tell me what they expect Mata to contribute to us next season? His influence on games is lower than its ever been and its quite clear he's the least favoured attacker in the team.
Enjoy Barcelona tonight - without Mata, we might not have even got to the PSG game.

RedDevilRoshi

Who on Earth is making these decisions?

The way this club is run and the structure presently in place is a bloody joke. Laughable!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If you can't even spell Lingard, despite him playing for United and England for fecking years, I'm not convinced that I should give the rest of your post much thought.

AndyJ1985

Reports of Rashford being given £300k are mental and sum up how utterly screwed up we are as a club. Any half decent player thinking of joining us this summer will look at the contracts we're paying and demand equal amounts. It's not sustainable.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Thanks to FM and Fifa, people have started thinking 10 in 10 out is an easy thing to do

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Imagine being this deluded :houllier:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why in the name of God would Spurs want Lindgard?

thesheriffjw

Hahaha some absolutely silly posts

There are alot of players who should be nowhere near the utd first team, but,,,, that is a sign of times and poor management structure

The squad as a whole needs massive overhaul and needs 3 transfer windows in my opinion.

2/3 players at a time